General Discussion Triathlon Talk » NEED BIKE ADVICE Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-08 9:34 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Subject: NEED BIKE ADVICE
Need a little help here, I am new ti the sport, and am in a bit of a quandry as far as my bike goes. I have a high quality hardtail MTB that I have been using for the past year for trail riding. I can't afford a new bike (although the new Cervello looks sooooooo sweet), so I was thinking........change to some road tires, loose the excess weight (trail pump, light ect), a set of cow horn bars and some aero clip ons. Anyone see any major problems that I am missing? The bike fits me very well, and I don't see myself doing anything more than a sprint or maybe an olympis distance in the forseeable future. Anty advice will be appreciated.

2004-07-09 7:39 AM
in reply to: #36219

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: NEED BIKE ADVICE
I think that you will be okay with the modifications you describe. I've seen people clanking away on rusted old bikes who did just great; hey, you can do a sprint on grandpa's old delivery bike if you want. Do a couple of sprints and if you find that you like triathlons, you can probably think of getting a Cervélo...start saving now!!!
2004-07-25 12:04 AM
in reply to: #36219

Subject: RE: NEED BIKE ADVICE
Did you make the MTB mods ?
One thing to consider is how you train, as well as the race.
I was/am training with a group on weekends and with the MTB, they dropped me. That is, after a few miles on a ride, I would be left behind because the MTB was slow and heavy.

If you train by yourself, this would not be such a problem.

I bought the Giant OCR-3 for $500. About 20% of the Tri group members I am in has the same bike.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » NEED BIKE ADVICE Rss Feed