General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Century Rides in Iowa Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-11 6:46 AM

User image

Subject: Century Rides in Iowa
I am training for my first full IM and wondering if anyone has information on any spring, summer, or early fall century rides for 2014. I am considering the Tour De Cure in the Des Moines area to get in the miles and raise some money for a good cause. I think I would like to sign up for at least two big rides to build the confidence while also having fun! I have never ridden more than 60 miles so I have some work to do!

Thanks!

2013-11-11 4:40 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: Century Rides in Iowa

Are you familiar with this site: http://www.bikeiowa.com/Events

Youcan search by type of ride and month.  They don't have all the 2014 stuff up yet, but you can search the 2013 calendar; most of the events will be offered again on the corresponding 2014 weekend. 

In Eastern Iowa, there's TOMROV in early June: http://www.qcbc.org/tomrv/ride.html

Illinois has a number of good, big rides too, if you'd travel.

2013-11-11 5:43 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Originally posted by switch

Youcan search by type of ride and month.  They don't have all the 2014 stuff up yet, but you can search the 2013 calendar; most of the events will be offered again on the corresponding 2014 weekend. 

In Eastern Iowa, there's TOMROV in early June: http://www.qcbc.org/tomrv/ride.html

I am actually familiar with that site and have looked there, but like you said, not much posted yet for 2014. I am already trying to plan my calendar as 2/3 of my kids play competitive club softball so we are BUSY. I try not to miss many of their games and if both are playing my husband and I have to split up. ) Makes for some BUSY summer weekends. I will check out this one you mentioned but would love to hear more from others, too. I think it would be a great way to get in the longer rides. And, yes, I will peek at Illinois too! THANK YOU!
2013-11-12 10:11 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by midwesttrimom
Originally posted by switch

I am actually familiar with that site and have looked there, but like you said, not much posted yet for 2014. I am already trying to plan my calendar as 2/3 of my kids play competitive club softball so we are BUSY. I try not to miss many of their games and if both are playing my husband and I have to split up. :)) Makes for some BUSY summer weekends. I will check out this one you mentioned but would love to hear more from others, too. I think it would be a great way to get in the longer rides. And, yes, I will peek at Illinois too! THANK YOU!

Yeah, just check out the 2013 calendar, and if you see something that looks good for a weekend you can look at that event's site and see the 2014 date :)

I have three kids too  (8, 7, 3) and we run 10 weeks of summer camps, so I definitely feel your pain with the summer scheduling.

2013-11-12 11:01 AM
in reply to: switch

http://raccoonrivervalleytrail.org/ I did a century on this trail this summer.
http://www.mchboys.com/december2012_010.htm They have a century option on thier ride in August.
2013-11-26 4:04 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

RAGBRAI anyone??? 

Okoboji does a Century sometime in July I think.

2013-12-09 12:17 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

RAGBRAI anyone??? 

I don't typically do Ragbrai but I think I will do at least 2 days this year to get in some long rides
that are more fun! I have never done it, though. Just not typically my thing with the eating/drinking/camping
while trying to get in bike rides. Hee hee. However, it's a great event and I think this is the year I better
experience it.

July-September are the best months for me to get the long rides in since we have a 10 and 7 year
old that both play tournament softball (and my husband coaches). It's tough to fine those hot weather
rides sometimes.

Keep the info coming! Thanks!

2013-12-10 9:44 AM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

RAGBRAI anyone??? 

I don't typically do Ragbrai but I think I will do at least 2 days this year to get in some long rides that are more fun! I have never done it, though. Just not typically my thing with the eating/drinking/camping while trying to get in bike rides. Hee hee. However, it's a great event and I think this is the year I better experience it. July-September are the best months for me to get the long rides in since we have a 10 and 7 year old that both play tournament softball (and my husband coaches). It's tough to fine those hot weather rides sometimes. Keep the info coming! Thanks!

If you have never done RAGBRAI, it's a must do.  Keep in mind that there are a ton of idiots out there going either way to fast or way to slow.  Normally a 60 mile day for me will take the better part of 3 hours, but on RAGBRAI, that could easily take 6 hours if you are enjoying the sites and sounds.  When I did the whole ride in 2011 I was the "up at 6:00 AM and on my bike" kind of guy to get ahead of the heat and hung over drunks.  I may try the hung over drunk route someday though.

2013-12-22 5:25 PM
in reply to: #4896277

Tour de Cure Des Moines is the first weekend in June. Tour de Cure Corridor Classic (Iowa City) is the last weekend in June. Both great events, as I volunteer at one and participate in the other.
2014-01-05 7:51 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

RAGBRAI anyone??? 

I don't typically do Ragbrai but I think I will do at least 2 days this year to get in some long rides that are more fun! I have never done it, though. Just not typically my thing with the eating/drinking/camping while trying to get in bike rides. Hee hee. However, it's a great event and I think this is the year I better experience it. July-September are the best months for me to get the long rides in since we have a 10 and 7 year old that both play tournament softball (and my husband coaches). It's tough to fine those hot weather rides sometimes. Keep the info coming! Thanks!

If you have never done RAGBRAI, it's a must do.  Keep in mind that there are a ton of idiots out there going either way to fast or way to slow.  Normally a 60 mile day for me will take the better part of 3 hours, but on RAGBRAI, that could easily take 6 hours if you are enjoying the sites and sounds.  When I did the whole ride in 2011 I was the "up at 6:00 AM and on my bike" kind of guy to get ahead of the heat and hung over drunks.  I may try the hung over drunk route someday though.

Just registered for Chisago Lake Half IM in Minnesota so I don't think I'll be doing much, if any, of Ragbrai. Didn't realize it conflicted. Maybe I can still ride early in the week to get my mileage in as I don't think I get much of a taper before that race due to IM training. THANKS!!
2014-03-21 11:27 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Do not consider RAGBRAI rides as training rides.  There are enough idiots trying to play Lance and going to fast for what available space there is and expecting people to jump out of their way. 

Where exactly do you live in Iowa, as we have some great trails? 

You can get a century ride in on the trails starting and ending in Jefferson, Iowa.  I have done century rides on my own on the highway, but it is two full loops for me from my house and then a partial loop to get the 100 in.  It is all on the shoulder extension that is on our highway.

2014-03-21 11:33 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

OK,  you live in Des Moines, as I decided to see if that was available in your profile.  You have plenty of bike trails to get century rides in in your own town.  You can ride from Downtown Des Moines trails and ride up through Sailorville and jump on a county road for 3 miles and then get on the high Trestle trail.  Or drive a little to Waukee (or ride another trail to get there), then ride the Raccoon River Valley Trail and get in a 100 mile loop.  There is funding in the works to connect the High Trestle Trail with the Raccoon River Valley Trail together.  I think it starts being worked on this spring.

2014-03-23 3:40 PM

User image

Originally posted by flip18436572

OK,  you live in Des Moines, as I decided to see if that was available in your profile.  You have plenty of bike trails to get century rides in in your own town.  You can ride from Downtown Des Moines trails and ride up through Sailorville and jump on a county road for 3 miles and then get on the high Trestle trail.  Or drive a little to Waukee (or ride another trail to get there), then ride the Raccoon River Valley Trail and get in a 100 mile loop.  There is funding in the works to connect the High Trestle Trail with the Raccoon River Valley Trail together.  I think it starts being worked on this spring.

Thanks. I do realize there are lots of options for getting in century rides. I can even do it in my own area if I want to, but more interested in finding some rides so that I have others to ride with. I ride with a very fast group of bikers and the long rides will not fit in with their training. I will be alone for the majority of my rides. I live near Cumming so I can pick up the Great Western trail about 10 minutes from my house and ride that through DSM all the way to Saylorville Lake and back (give or take a few detours and turns). There are lots of options and I do appreciate that. I was just hoping to do some of the super long rides with others and my schedule isn't always that great since I have three kids involved in sports this year (yikes!!). Appreciate all the feedback. I am sure it will be just fine. Did all of my 3-3.5 hour rides last year alone for the most part.
2014-03-24 12:18 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Originally posted by flip18436572

Thanks. I do realize there are lots of options for getting in century rides. I can even do it in my own area if I want to, but more interested in finding some rides so that I have others to ride with. I ride with a very fast group of bikers and the long rides will not fit in with their training. I will be alone for the majority of my rides. I live near Cumming so I can pick up the Great Western trail about 10 minutes from my house and ride that through DSM all the way to Saylorville Lake and back (give or take a few detours and turns). There are lots of options and I do appreciate that. I was just hoping to do some of the super long rides with others and my schedule isn't always that great since I have three kids involved in sports this year (yikes!!). Appreciate all the feedback. I am sure it will be just fine. Did all of my 3-3.5 hour rides last year alone for the most part.

I understand what you are saying about having others with is what you want.  Those are rarely available in my area, so I do them on my own.  I am usually within 20 miles of home when I do them, so I just take the cell phone with and if I have a major breakdown, I can get the wife to pick me up.  That and living in small town Iowa, everyone pretty much knows me.  I have had spokes break at the 20 mile back to home and have made it home.  I have had three flats and ended up calling at one point.  Enjoy what you are doing and let that carry you through your ride.

2014-07-30 5:54 PM

User image

Checking back in on this thread. Anyone doing any longer "organized" rides in late August, September or October of this year? I am gearing up for IMFL and just wanted to get in a century ride about once a month from August-October. Would love to get one in before my kids go back to school the last week in August so I have that under my belt. Things get pretty hectic with fall sports after that. I have ridden 70 a couple of times and lots of 50s and 60s. Time to step it up I guess!

Thanks!
2014-07-30 10:39 PM
in reply to: #4916916

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Not ready for any bike rides this long yet but thanks for the thread, I was wondering where I could find this info. Nice read too, I plan to do RAGBRI before I leave Iowa (sad day I know) and good to know about the drunks!

2014-09-03 9:01 AM

User image

So it's not so much an organized ride, but if you follow Fat Cyclist he has his yearly 100 miles to nowhere. I signed up, my neighborhood is non outlet so I am riding the loop for 100 miles. Probably won't be to exciting but your welcome to keep me company. I might be towing my girls in the burley for a good portion so during trailer time I wouldn't expect much more than a 15 mph average.

Otherwise I would also like some company during long rides if your up to it. I'm not a racer so I guess I couldn't hang for 20+ mph average all day, but if you just want the seat time I'd love some company. I'm mainly available Saturday afternoons due to my hectic schedule.

I'm in Altoona.
2014-09-03 9:19 AM
in reply to: brantlyj

User image

Originally posted by brantlyj

So it's not so much an organized ride, but if you follow Fat Cyclist he has his yearly 100 miles to nowhere. I signed up, my neighborhood is non outlet so I am riding the loop for 100 miles. Probably won't be to exciting but your welcome to keep me company. I might be towing my girls in the burley for a good portion so during trailer time I wouldn't expect much more than a 15 mph average.

Otherwise I would also like some company during long rides if your up to it. I'm not a racer so I guess I couldn't hang for 20+ mph average all day, but if you just want the seat time I'd love some company. I'm mainly available Saturday afternoons due to my hectic schedule.

I'm in Altoona.

Thank you so much! I may take you up on that if I have any time that works on Saturday afternoons. Unfortunately, I don't typically do any
long workouts on the weekends due to my schedule. Have an older daughter that plays tournament softball and another playing league.
Husband coaches so we have to split up and conquer! We have a minimum of 9 softball games this weekend. YIKES!!! I did my long
ride yesterday and will run 16-18 miles on Sat AM. Are you training for an IM? I may be in touch!
2014-09-03 9:53 AM

User image

IM?? ha, I haven't even done full Tri yet since Hy-Vee was shortened. I think an IM would kill me. my body really isn't made for this kind of stuff but I somehow thought Tri's would be a good idea. lol

I have like 5 jobs so that's why Saturday is my only "free" day. Depending on what day you do long rides I might be able to do something during the week if I have enough time to plan around it.... Sunday mornings my wife works so I'm home but have kids. We like to do the High Trestle Trail. Anyone is welcome to join us as long as you understand I'm not too speedy towing a 75 lb parachute behind me and we take an extended snack break at the bridge.

anyways, I'll PM you my contact info.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Century Rides in Iowa Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Iowa Games

Started by cami bee
Views: 1515 Posts: 2

2008-07-01 4:17 AM maverick_zh

new in NC Iowa

Started by maverick_zh
Views: 1608 Posts: 3

2006-12-16 11:22 AM maverick_zh

swim help in eastern Iowa

Started by s_alan
Views: 1671 Posts: 7

2006-09-07 11:25 AM jboyer

iowa summer tri's

Started by redfive
Views: 1879 Posts: 2

2007-07-20 10:43 PM jcjsc00

Eastern Iowa Saturday ride

Started by CLLinIA
Views: 1791 Posts: 6

2006-03-13 12:13 PM CLLinIA
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.
date : October 2, 2007
author : douglasschaefer
comments : 5
A story of how a simple email one day can change your life forever.

date : June 27, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Questions and answers on HIM training with a sprained ankle, metric century plan basics, Olympic speedwork, Ironman commuter rides, bricks, HIM before IM recovery and post race nutrition.
date : November 6, 2006
author : Terese Luikens
Over this next month I will be learning more about my bike each time I take it out to ride. I want to take full advantage of what it has to offer.

date : June 5, 2006
author : Ontherun
A few months back I wrote an article about buying your next bike. Well now I have done it and wish to share my experience and choice with you.