General Discussion Race Reports! » Longboat Key International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Longboat Key International Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Longboat Key, Florida
United States
Longboat Key Triathlon
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 02m 28s
Overall Rank = 95/186
Age Group = Under 40 Clydes
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Peanut butter & toast with a small glass of milk on the way to the race. Checked in early, found the good restroom. waited out the delay then headed down to the start.
Event warmup:

Still not a big "warm up" fan. Walked down to the start, did some arm circles and shoulder stretches then waited for the horn.
Swim
  • 08m 26s
  • 880 yards
  • 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim was SHORT, there is no way I swam less than a minute per 100 yards. Last year the swim went almost the entire length of the channel, this year it only went half way.
What would you do differently?:

TRAIN. This was by far my worst year of training. The sad part, with as little training as I did, my times are almost the same as last year.
Transition 1
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

My strongest leg of the race, as usual. One of the benefits of arriving early at an open rack race, end spot right by the bike exit.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 57m 56s
  • 20 miles
  • 20.71 mile/hr
Comments:

Great ride course, pancake flat, smooth, good bike lanes, very little traffic, and only 5 total turns.

TRAIN! Felt like I was going backwards for the first 7 miles, got passed by way too many people. Really forced me to stick to my game plan and not chase riders I couldn't hang with. Finally felt like I got my cycling legs back near the turn around.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Can't say enough how much having an end slot improves transition times, no wasted movement.

Nothing.
Run
  • 53m 33s
  • 5 miles
  • 10m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Very disappointed in the run course this year. Almost a quarter of a mile longer than posted. No water at the exit of T2/start of run. First water station was at the 1.5 mile mark. Stations were severely understaffed. Course was not marked for the different races (Sprint & OLY). 2nd aid station only had water and one of the two volunteers was on his phone as I went by, so I had to stop and grab my drink from the table. The 3rd station (same as the 1st) ran out of water and only had red Gatorade for the second lap. Had to stop and wait for a volunteer to fill a cup at this one. For as hot as it was, I really would have liked to dump a cup of WATER over my head with over a mile left to go.

Again, TRAIN more. Although I did ramp up my run training in the weeks prior to this race, it wasn't nearly enough.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a cold bottle of water and found some shade under an unoccupied vendor tent. Struck up a conversation with the vendor next to me with led to me landing a pair of Hoka One One's.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Obviously my lack of training leading up to this race. The other things that slowed me down were addressed in the run section comments. Longer than advertised course, lack of stocked and manned aid stations, and the heat. This race was moved up 3 weeks from it's prior date to avoid conflicting with REV3 Venice.

Event comments:

Unfortunately this race took a major turn for the worse after improving each of the first 3 years. They added a Sprint distance race to the program and I feel the RD was very unprepared for that. They did not put up the big tent like they have in past years which was a major draw for this race. There was also a problem with results which was very frustrating. It was Tuesday before my official results were posted. Overall I was very disappointed because this race had improved every year until now. Hopefully the RD will listen to the participants and make the needed changes to reestablish this race's reputation.

Last updated: 2013-03-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:26 | 880 yards | 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 48/186
Performance: Average
Suit: Ryder Bikes Tri suit
Course: Point to point starting at the small beach by the drawbridge then heading west into the small boat channel before turning north back towards the small beach exit near the tennis courts.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:34
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:57:56 | 20 miles | 20.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 95/186
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: After the right turn out of T1 and a left turn onto Gulf of Mexico Dr. it is a straight out and back to the north end of the island.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:33 | 05 miles | 10m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 112/186
Performance: Below average
Course: 4th different course in 4 years. Course is on a secondary road for the first 1.5 miles then on the golf course cart path for the remaining 3.75 miles. And yes, I realize that equals 5.25 miles for a 5 mile course, imagine my surprise when my Garmin beeped 5 miles and I wasn't at the finish line.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2013-11-11 9:32 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: Longboat Key International Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Longboat Key International Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Longboat Key International Triathlon

Started by isyphoto
Views: 1159 Posts: 1

2013-10-21 8:52 AM isyphoto

Longboat Key International Triathlon

Started by cwpeters
Views: 1193 Posts: 1

2012-10-28 7:55 PM cwpeters

Longboat Key Triathlon

Started by cwpeters
Views: 1492 Posts: 2

2010-11-01 5:36 AM eslavs

Longboat Key Triathlon

Started by PollyG
Views: 1118 Posts: 1

2010-10-25 7:15 PM PollyG

Longboat Key Triathlon

Started by AGStrohm
Views: 1235 Posts: 1

2010-10-24 6:52 PM AGStrohm
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : June 11, 2007
author : Cinci41
comments : 1
My thinking was that with three events, I could vary my training enough so it wouldn't grow stale prior to seeing positive results and finding the additional motivation I needed to continue training.

date : May 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on bricks, bike position, blisters, bike fit, the walk/run method, improving run times, key sessions, training post ITBS, HR and cadence, wetsuits and eating to not bonk
date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.

date : July 31, 2005
comments : 5
Your self-image serves as the operating instructions of your subconscious computer. If you don’t change the operating system, you will be doomed to repeat your past mistakes.