General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How Long Of A Training Plan? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-15 2:46 PM

User image

Subject: How Long Of A Training Plan?
Hello, as I have been researching training plans for HIM I have seen week #'s anywhere from 12-30. I plan on doing my first half May 3 of next year at St. George and I would love to build a specific plan to follow up until then. I have just about 23 weeks so I was looking for a good number to start hitting it hard and moving full swing. I know everyone is different but is there an in between number with a certain volume I could base myself off? I currently log what I have been doing just for fun( just staying in shape.) I am 19 years old and just wrapped up my cross country season. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Ps I apologize in advance if there is already a thread covering this topic, I didn't see anything!

2013-11-15 2:50 PM
in reply to: wesleyewart

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: How Long Of A Training Plan?
depends a lot on your state of fitness.

I usually consider a base build of about 6 weeks and a 12 week training plan for a HIM.
2013-11-15 3:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

8-20 weeks depending on your fitness, experience and race schedule.

You mentioned you're 19 and just finished XC.  I'm making the assumption you're a collegiate XC runner which would mean you're a talented runner.  Running, IMO, is the most difficult of the three disciplines as far as base building.  Swimming is the most technical and difficult to master but one can have really good swim fitness without being a really good swimmer.  Cycling is the easiest of the three.

Sounds like you got the running thing down.  How are your swimming and cycling as far as skill, experience and fitness level are concerned?

2013-11-18 10:40 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Thanks for the feedback guys. I just finished my second season of XC for my community college so at the moment I feel pretty strong on my feet. My swimming is decent, ( getting open water swims in every Sat./Sunday) and I try to get on my bike about three times a week. My body has no problem with training 2-3 hours a day. Would you guys suggest a shorter period of weeks with more hours of training a week or a longer period of time easing into the training? (My log shows the base work I am doing now if that is relatable to what I can up my training to.
Thanks!
2013-11-24 11:48 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
For a first if you have the luxury of time I would shoot for a 20 week build and go up slower in distance maintaining your speedwork. You could, however go for only a 12 week plan if you are already biking 40 miles long, swim 1600 + yards and running a long of 8-10 miles weekly. It may depend for you on not detracting from your crosscountry build and recoveries. But if you have the luxury of time, might as well do a safe and strong build for a decent first HIM. Always better to be in more solid shape than wing it on an 8 week plan (in my book anyway). It doesn't seem like that long of an event, but if you hit it moderately hard it can kick your butt and result in walking on the run. Especially figure out your nutrition (300-350 cal per hour on the bike 200 to 250 calories on the run, stay hydrated but not sloshy)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How Long Of A Training Plan? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Beginner Triathelet's IM training plan vs "Be Iron Fit" plan

Started by ironcop17
Views: 10862 Posts: 18

2012-11-26 8:53 PM japewang

how to import the training plan into my training log

Started by KIMBERLYH5
Views: 1325 Posts: 2

2011-10-10 4:32 PM Ron

Constructing an anual training plan with a long prep and base phase

Started by pacificera
Views: 1262 Posts: 7

2010-01-01 11:48 AM pacificera

Training up to the actual IM Training Plan

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 1414 Posts: 6

2005-08-29 5:16 PM mikericci

"Going Long" Training plans-am I missing something???

Started by glf33
Views: 2356 Posts: 9

2004-11-07 9:26 AM BadgerIronMan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 21, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How to tweak your training plan to account for frequent races

date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.

date : May 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are your long workouts approaching 3 hours? Can't seem to eat enough or time your nutrition? Use the following calorie recommendations and recipes to create your own meal plan.
date : January 9, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This plan is an advanced plan in terms of volume and intensity and appropriate for someone who is looking to go under 5:00 and as fast as 4:30. There isn’t a lot of fluff in the plan.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : November 9, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
How long should the 1st long run of a new season be and how to determine volumes when beginning training for a specific event.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.