General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone tried to learn to swim and couldn't? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-11-21 8:19 PM
in reply to: csikes

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Anyone tried to learn to swim and couldn't?
Originally posted by csikes

When I say I "can't", I mean that after swimming for 3-4 months I was able to go from 25 yards to maybe 150 yards at a time (and these weren't happy or comfortable yards). Yes I improved but I never had the "click" that made me feel like I could ever have a chance at actually being able to swim without always having this struggle. This is after trying on my own and having various instructors (who may or may not have been qualified) to evaluate my stroke. Can't or couldn't probably was a bad choice of words......

I'm willing to work at it. I started off by not being able to run for a block and it's taken me 3 years to get from a 33 min 5k to a 24 min 5k. I understand that this sport is not for those looking for instant gratification nor do I expect any kind of instant anything. I was just curious if there are others out there who have not had the "click" even with putting a good bit of effort.

It took me six months swimming 3x per week for it to click. When you get to 150 yards, use a pull buoy for 150 yards, then swim for 150 yards, etc. Feel how level you are in the water with the pull buoy and try to replicate it without it. Also look up you tube drills like zipper drill, one arm drill, shark fin drill, can't remember the others I did.

Good Luck!

2013-11-21 9:20 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by ransick

Originally posted by csikes

When I say I "can't", I mean that after swimming for 3-4 months I was able to go from 25 yards to maybe 150 yards at a time (and these weren't happy or comfortable yards). Yes I improved but I never had the "click" that made me feel like I could ever have a chance at actually being able to swim without always having this struggle. This is after trying on my own and having various instructors (who may or may not have been qualified) to evaluate my stroke. Can't or couldn't probably was a bad choice of words......

I'm willing to work at it. I started off by not being able to run for a block and it's taken me 3 years to get from a 33 min 5k to a 24 min 5k. I understand that this sport is not for those looking for instant gratification nor do I expect any kind of instant anything. I was just curious if there are others out there who have not had the "click" even with putting a good bit of effort.

It took me six months swimming 3x per week for it to click. When you get to 150 yards, use a pull buoy for 150 yards, then swim for 150 yards, etc. Feel how level you are in the water with the pull buoy and try to replicate it without it. Also look up you tube drills like zipper drill, one arm drill, shark fin drill, can't remember the others I did.

Good Luck!

I agree with mike above!!!!
2013-11-22 5:58 AM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anyone can learn to swim. I think getting fast is not always possible because of the way some people are built, but anyone can leaf to swim a mile. It's just time in the pool. What is important, I think, is that you are comfortable in the water. A friend of mine is a top amateur triathlete for her age group, comes in 1st or 2nd in every Oly distance she does, but hates the water, her husband has to be watching every time she swims, because she thinks she is going to drown. I don't know why she does tris! She doesn't have any fun at all during the swim!

Get some more training (which I am going to,do, too, this winter) and practice, practice, practice. You CAN do this!
2013-11-22 7:48 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Originally posted by csikes I appreciate all the responses. To answer some of the questions, I'm not looking to be fast. I'm looking to complete the required distances without endangering myself or others. The problem is that really I'm ok doing duathlons except I like long endurance events and finding anything close to a full duathlon is impossible. Basically, I only want to swim to complete a full length tri since there are no full length duathlons. I've tried various aids and tried slowing down and it still doesn't seem to help. I've had my form evaluated (again maybe not by the best instructors) and there was nothing terribly wrong. I do know that I probably have a better chance of learning to swim in my new location do to having a wider selection of instructors. For me, I would be happy with a good bike and run (for me) + completing the swim safely within required time limits.

Just a thought, but maybe it's your kick and not your stroke. I had a very hard time swimming any distance and it turned out I was kicking way too much and too hard. My swim instructor said it was typical of runners. Those big muscles require lots of oxygen. Kicking from the knee induces drag, too. Now I am on a 2-beat kick, and my feet move a fraction of what they used to, from the hip, and it's so much easier.

This did it for me. I was kicking like a madman early in my training and draining my power and probably slowing my self down with drag. A month of working on high elbow catch and slowing my kicking down has worked wonders.
2013-11-22 1:19 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Pro

Originally posted by badmo77a
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Originally posted by csikes I appreciate all the responses. To answer some of the questions, I'm not looking to be fast. I'm looking to complete the required distances without endangering myself or others. The problem is that really I'm ok doing duathlons except I like long endurance events and finding anything close to a full duathlon is impossible. Basically, I only want to swim to complete a full length tri since there are no full length duathlons. I've tried various aids and tried slowing down and it still doesn't seem to help. I've had my form evaluated (again maybe not by the best instructors) and there was nothing terribly wrong. I do know that I probably have a better chance of learning to swim in my new location do to having a wider selection of instructors. For me, I would be happy with a good bike and run (for me) + completing the swim safely within required time limits.

Just a thought, but maybe it's your kick and not your stroke. I had a very hard time swimming any distance and it turned out I was kicking way too much and too hard. My swim instructor said it was typical of runners. Those big muscles require lots of oxygen. Kicking from the knee induces drag, too. Now I am on a 2-beat kick, and my feet move a fraction of what they used to, from the hip, and it's so much easier.

This did it for me. I was kicking like a madman early in my training and draining my power and probably slowing my self down with drag. A month of working on high elbow catch and slowing my kicking down has worked wonders.

When I started with my second swim instructor, she said to swim up and back so she could watch. When I got done 50 yards I was breathing heavily and she was laughing (she was a tri club friend). She asked me if I was trying to kick the water to death. It's inversely true that the harder you kick the faster you go. It's more of a flick and using the kick to maintain position and rotate properly.

Good luck to the OP. You (like me) might never be anything more than a competent swimmer, just trying to get out of the water anywhere but last, and hammering the bike and run! But you can definitely become a competent swimmer.

2013-11-25 3:40 PM
in reply to: csikes

User image

Fort Walton Beach
My husband was a really horrible swimmer. He was stiff and panicked easily claiming that he could not swim due to his asthma. It was extremely hard to get him to relax so that he could learn some decent form. I dug up an old shorty wetsuit and had him swim in it for 3 weeks. The buoyancy gave him some confidence and he learned how to swim with decent form. He struggled a little again when we took it off, but quickly came up to speed. I think he just needed a little extra help. His fear of lack of air due to his asthma and his very non buoyant body created some extra obstacles.

Good luck : )

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone tried to learn to swim and couldn't? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

still trying to learn to swim

Started by KWDreamun
Views: 2181 Posts: 10

2012-09-30 8:02 PM ccmpsyd

Anyone tried Effortless Swimming?

Started by Lumber Dad
Views: 905 Posts: 2

2010-08-25 12:21 PM DJones107

If you couldn't swim..

Started by trishie
Views: 726 Posts: 8

2009-09-29 7:46 PM gsmacleod

Couldn't breathe during the swim, help

Started by [email protected]
Views: 825 Posts: 6

2009-09-21 12:50 PM jojoswmr

Couldn't swim for 3rd time in 4 weeks

Started by Dwayne
Views: 1229 Posts: 14

2008-07-11 1:26 PM big john h
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 29, 2011
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
If swim workouts are much more trying than your bike and run workouts, try these tips

date : May 6, 2011
author : garyhallsr
Being comfortable in the water and knowing where your body parts are trump power and strength any day
date : September 3, 2010
author : Sara McLarty
comments : 1
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on being efficient in the water. Learning how to swim smooth and efficiently is important to becoming a great swimmer.

date : August 2, 2010
author : Sara McLarty
comments : 19
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on breathing. Before you can swim fast, you must learn how to control your breathing so that easy swimming does not leave you gasping after one lap.
date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
My right knee has a pain in the front, just below the kneecap. I walked 24 miles of IM Louisville. No pain while walking but it started immediately when trying to run.

date : November 19, 2007
author : CyndiPPF
So here I was, a hard-working, respectable, just-turned-forty-six-year-old, who never considered herself athletic, lining up in my swim cap and goggles for my first triathlon.
date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 8
What to wear under the wetsuit? What to wear for the bike and the run? Good thing someone invented the wonderful trisuit, to which we’ve become accustomed. It’s supposed to make our lives so simple.