General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Having second thoughts on my HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-22 4:22 PM

User image

Subject: Having second thoughts on my HIM

Signed up for HIM in March of 2014. Had exactly 24 weeks to prepare so I bought Joe Friel's Training Peaks 12 week base followed by 11 week build. Having knee pain is not going away after about 30 minutes of running and its keeping me from completing many of my training goals. Short back story:

Started couch to sprint in July/August of this year and completed it at the end of September. Started to feel a lot of pain in my left knee about 20 minutes into my run (yeah, I was moving that slowly). Thankfully the pain switched over the right knee and I finished in pain. Severe pain the rest of the day into the night where I could hardly sleep. Continued but decreased in severity over a few days of ice and rest. Most likely culprit is IT band as the pain is on the outside lateral part of the knee and my IT bands are ridiculously tight. After a week I went for a short run and the pain started again so I cut my run short. This time it was gone within a day or so.

Fast forward to deciding to do the HIM. Swim was feeling strong, figured I could get my bike where it needed to be and I'd fix the IT band issue after a few weeks max. Well, it hasn't happened. I tried by starting my runs on an Alter G at only 75% BW and after 30 minutes my IT/knee started hurting. Continued anyway, figuring I'd "work though it". Was able to complete my short sprint workouts and ST but any and all runs over 30 minutes turn into knife stabbing pain. Figured the ST would help. I've also been seeing a therapist who does some specialized deep tissue work on my quads, calves, hips, IT, etc to try and loosen it up, in addition to foam rolling. I still can't do the longer runs and my training program is leaving me behind. Once the IT/knee has flared it affects my swim too.

The bottom line is that I'm starting to think that I didn't build enough base fitness before undertaking this training plan, having only been off the couch for a few months, and that I'm pushing my body into an injured state. Every day that I miss a run workout is a day I'm not following my plan, but I can't train in the level of pain that I'm in 30 minutes into a run. I don't know whether to try and train through it anyway, just do my bikes and swims until it gets better (assuming it will) and hope I have enough time to catch up once I'm healed... or to just stop everything and rest.. or pull out.

Race is now 18 weeks away.

2013-11-22 4:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Having second thoughts on my HIM

Forgot to add: therapist thinks it could be an imbalance in my right hip that's leading to the overall imbalance. Either muscular or structural. My right leg is "shorter" than my left... my right hamstring/glute is not as strong as my left, and my right hip flexors seem to get taxed during a run.

Also, had surgery on my left knee 4 years ago. Medial meniscus removal.

*added*

Forgot to mention: right knee was injured about 6 months ago. I believe its probably a slight medial meniscus tear but insurance co rejected my doctor's request for an MRI so it's as-of-now unknown. However, it doesn't hurt while training at this point.

I also should say that I COULD train through the pain, just like I finished my race in a tremendous amount of pain. I just don't know what that would do to my future goals, if anything, and what the dangers would be of really pushing it too far.

Edited by swimbikejog 2013-11-22 4:42 PM
2013-11-22 5:28 PM
in reply to: swimbikejog

User image

I think your first concern should be to find a way that you can train consistently and injury free.  Forget about the HIM for now...you can't force your body to train to a level that you want to get to...you can only allow your body to train up to a level it is ready to get to.  Maybe you can still do the HIM...but at this point, don't let the race dictacte your training.  Let your body dictate it. 

2013-11-22 10:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Maybe switch to the Aquabike? No sense in pushing through the pain only to find out you are doing more damage? There are always many more races, but you only have the one set of knees.
2013-11-22 11:12 PM

User image

Kenmore, Washington
Poorly fitted running shoes will do this. Are your running shoes neutral, or are they "motion control" or "stability" shoes? In my limited experience I find sales people tend to recommend shoes to fix problems that don't exist. If you have not tried a neutral shoe that should be step 1.

How are you using the foam roller? How often and how much pressure? Are you hitting just your IT band or doing your entire legs? It takes me about 15 minutes to fully roll out my legs and I work up to balancing my entire bodyweight on the roller.

Like this:

http://community.octaslider.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/foam-rol...

Not like this:

http://media.joe.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/foam-roller-image.pn...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Having second thoughts on my HIM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Second Tri and second time calf cramped on bike

Started by sicone
Views: 878 Posts: 7

2010-08-10 8:40 AM stevster

Second Thoughts..BIG TIME Pages: 1 2

Started by 3leftys
Views: 3259 Posts: 46

2010-06-28 12:31 PM laurie2829

second thoughts Pages: 1 2

Started by gomom_shell
Views: 1817 Posts: 31

2010-03-25 8:59 PM gomom_shell

Seconds thoughts on Oly

Started by joeseal
Views: 1060 Posts: 10

2008-04-14 9:48 AM AdaBug

Lastly, I seem to be having a buoyancy problem

Started by GamblerZ
Views: 1127 Posts: 6

2004-03-12 12:36 PM infosteward
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 9, 2010
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are you ready for your second season of triathlon? This article will show you how to improve your cycling for the sprint distance using drills and interval workouts.

date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Metatarsalgia simply means “painful metatarsal” without defining the cause of the pain. Metatarsalgia most commonly causes pain at the second metatarsal head.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Team BT
We did really well with the beers, which will explain my reluctance to get out of bed on Saturday morning.