29F / -2C
Sunny
Total Time = 36m 32s
Overall Rank = 1465/12879
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 98/654
Pre-race routine:

wicked cold today...and windy

had to do my 13th annual running of the Road Race by myself...DS1-a bit sick, no training with business at school and going through relationship strain while home from Villanova so he backed out--DS2 on the DL with hamstring injury and DW busy preparing for the family to descend on our house

quick work of the drive over, but planned to just run for fun-no pressure to do well with limited training so I wore my complete Red Sox uniform-with cap and eye black also-and got dressed for the 'event'

Event warmup:

Usual warmup with strides but never got warm. Too cold, too windy.
Heard the usual 'Go Sox' 50,000 times, along with 'where's your beard, nice look Jacoby, World Champs!'.

I answered all with 'Boston Strong!' and raised my arm high.
Run
  • 36m 32s
  • 4.75 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Different race for me, as I did not race it. Very enjoyable day being out and drinking in the atmosphere. Lots of positive comments on my Red Sox uniform.

I tried to hold a steady, comfortable pace-keeping it at sub-tempo. I haven't gotten in any training and I do not want an injury doing something stupid like running fast on a very cold day.

Can't believe I had to stop twice to tie my shoes...I usually double tie my shoes, but did not, because I wan't racing...just silly of me.

Very thankful for all that I have and these thoughts kept floating in my head. I am very lucky. Last year, I had just recovered from my swimming accident and still felt pain in my shoulder/back and ribs from the fractures while running/racing this, but this year I had no physical pain.
What would you do differently?:

Double tie my shoes.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged about a mile just to keep the legs from tying up, then walked a bit and headed back to the truck to go home and rejoin my family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not putting race pace effort, but I'm OK with that as it was in the plan.

Event comments:

I LOVE doing this race, but one day, I'd like to be at the start line again prepared to race it hard and see how close to sub 30 I can come.

Last updated: 2013-11-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:36:32 | 04.75 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 98/654
Overall: 1465/12879
Performance: Good
7:24-147 8:50-152 (stopped to tie my shoe) never felt like I was pushing hard 7:12-152 7:32-149 (stopped AGAIN to tie my shoe-ug) 5:31-148 --just going easy now on the last part
Course: One loop. Starts on Main St, Manchester. Slow sloping downhill for 1/2 mile, turn left onto Hartford Rd with very slight slope up followed by 2 sections of hills of ~ 1/3mile then a short 200M steep hill. Turn onto Porter St and go down hill for ~1/2 mile. Flat all the way to the left turn at Center St. Turn left again onto Main Street after ~1/2 mile and go down 300M then up 300M to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-11-28 8:36 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: Manchester Road Race
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Manchester Road Race Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Manchester Road Race

Started by PollyC
Views: 1309 Posts: 6

2006-11-29 12:31 PM kaburns1214

Manchester Road Race

Started by bump76
Views: 1097 Posts: 2

2006-11-24 1:37 PM stumfossil

Manchester Road Race

Started by cdf26.2
Views: 1829 Posts: 7

2005-11-28 9:39 AM Stone

Manchester Road Race

Started by cdf26.2
Views: 1275 Posts: 5

2004-11-27 8:20 AM CptnJackSparrow

Manchester Road Race

Started by jf3boardman
Views: 1332 Posts: 2

2004-11-25 10:42 PM Browe79
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : March 24, 2011
What should I consider when adding aero bars? What are good brands? Are there pitfalls to be aware of? How can I adjust them to fit me?

date : April 20, 2009
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : August 13, 2008
author : say78
In February, I was given a very special gift: a gift certificate to buy a nice road bike. That's when I realized there was no turning back. I WAS doing this.
date : December 5, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
What makes a triathlon bike a triathlon bike? Learn about angles, seating, position, aerobars, and the importance of a proper bike fit.

date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.