General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ITU long distance training plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-01 11:08 AM

User image

Greenville, South Carolina
Subject: ITU long distance training plan
Hi all,

I qualified for the ITU long distance worlds in China in Sept and I'm trying to think about a training plan. Since this is an "odd" distance (4k swim, 120k bike, 30k run) I can't find any existing plans. Should I upgrade and make a custom plan, or would I be OK using an IM distance plan since the swim is iron distance anyway and the other 2 are long than HIM? I know others on here qualified - what are you guys planning to do?

Thanks!
Elizabeth

2013-12-02 7:39 AM
in reply to: hotalinge

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: ITU long distance training plan

I am one of the others who is planning on going....granted if funds are available. 

I have not really planned out my training plan yet but my original thought process was to just do an IM training plan.  A friend of mine who I work with, we do a lot of training and racing together, he is doing IM Chattanooga in 2014.  My thought was to jump in with his training a little bit.

2013-12-02 8:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Congrats! I'll be joining you over there as well..

I have a coach (Karen Hicks...she's on here as well) and we are looking at intensity over time for training for me this year with all the personal stuff going on.

2013-12-02 7:38 PM

User image

Greenville, South Carolina
Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking. I'm still working on the budget too (and it would take almost all of my vacation days), but I'm kind of obsessed… making up training plans and planning side vacations while I wait to get the email from USAT with more info (at which point I guess I'll decide for sure). Based on times from previous years I might be last in my age group, but still…. who knows when I'm going to get this chance again?

I'm also considering USAT AG nationals (for basically the same who knows if i'll get this chance again reason), but I might need a coach to help me figure out a training plan that works for both since they are only 6 weeks apart which puts nationals right in the middle of the 2 biggest training weeks if I follow an IM plan. Plus shipping the bike to China? How soon do you think you'd have to drop it off in order to get it there?

TriGuy - I just noticed you are in Greenville - me too! Maybe we could train together some, or at least if anyone is going along with you to cheer they could meet my husband ahead of time so they can hang out during the race.
2013-12-02 9:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Originally posted by hotalinge
Plus shipping the bike to China? How soon do you think you'd have to drop it off in order to get it there?

You can always take it on the plane with you and just pay the baggage fee. That's probably what I'm going to do.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ITU long distance training plan Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Year long training plans?

Started by smcarlson
Views: 1158 Posts: 3

2012-05-28 4:31 PM BigMikeGA

finding a training plan that fits - warning long and boring

Started by trigal38
Views: 948 Posts: 7

2010-07-28 6:28 PM trigal38

Intensive Training within a long term plan?

Started by juneapple
Views: 761 Posts: 7

2009-11-23 5:04 PM Brownie28

How long into a training plan.......

Started by TexTriGuy
Views: 598 Posts: 2

2009-05-05 10:09 PM newbz

Planned long training ride... Wasted

Started by mscotthall
Views: 882 Posts: 5

2006-05-21 9:57 PM Abear2
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : June 21, 2011
author : mikericci
How to tweak your training plan to account for frequent races
date : June 17, 2009
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.

date : December 22, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
I only had 6 weeks to prepare, so I pushed myself pretty hard while I was training. After my first figure competition, my trainer had me take a week off just to rest and recoup. Was this needed?
date : December 4, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 5
I really want to do an Olympic distance but I feel it is a little too far right now. Which training plan should I follow? The sprint sounds too easy for what I'm doing but the Olympic seems too much?

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : April 17, 2005
My question is on nutrition in a long race. Most intake will occur on the bike, but I'm curious as to the details. I didn't do real well in this area last year and really need to improve.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.