General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone doing the Illinois marathon in Champaign? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-03 6:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Subject: Anyone doing the Illinois marathon in Champaign?
Just curious. I havn't signed up yet but I will before the price goes up again. Anyone have success from certain plans out there for BQ etc..

2013-12-04 2:55 PM
in reply to: Bevie

User image

Regular
Morton IL
Subject: RE: Anyone doing the Illinois marathon in Champaign?
I am running it along with a few members of my tri club. I havent decided on a plan of sorts, just started IM training so not sure how I will work it in.... 21 weeks I think* at this point until the marathon. I did just run one on November 2nd so I probably could do the distance now. That said my longest run since was 10 miles.
2013-12-07 4:18 AM
in reply to: Paulford8

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling

Yeah.  I think I will just kinda wing it Paul when it comes to plans.  Right now I am usually running 8 miles on tues, and Thursdays and a longer run on the weekend.  We have another kid due in February so we'll see how that affects training.  I am ready for winter to be over with I know that much!

2013-12-07 7:34 PM

User image

Master
MidWest

I really want to do this but not sure about training.  I have done several halfs, but I just got clearance to resume running after arthroscpoic surgery.

2013-12-07 9:12 PM
in reply to: BAMBAM66

User image

Regular
Morton IL
Originally posted by BAMBAM66

I really want to do this but not sure about training.  I have done several halfs, but I just got clearance to resume running after arthroscpoic surgery.

I did the half last year, very flat and very well supported. Still 20 weeks out if you want to do the full there is plenty of time.
2013-12-28 4:03 PM

User image

New user
Crest Hill
I want to do this one!! Mixed reviews-- I've heard due to almost all concrete that it takes a toll on the body. But also hear its a good BQ Whats the word???

2013-12-28 5:18 PM
in reply to: JennyBlaze22

User image

Extreme Veteran
Not Quite DFL
I've run the half course several times and I am planning to do the Half I-Challenge. My training has been poor this year so a marathon is not really in the cards for me in April. This race has really good support from the town and at least for the half, most of the streets are full of people watching. It is fun to run in to the stadium. Usually a line for the post race food. Bag pickup has always gone pretty seamless for me - no lines there. You will get your picture taken numerous times. Aid stations are well staffed, and sometimes there are a few "extra" - in other words, residents set up their own personal stations, which is nice. Historically we have gone to Jupiter's II to "rehydrate" - if you go let me know - the pizza is pretty good!
2013-12-31 10:01 AM
in reply to: #4907470

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
I've done the full twice (one full and one I-Challenge, once they introduced it), enjoy this race a lot. Very well organized, A LOT of volunteers and I love that they involve senior citizens to man a lot of the stations and sit in their driveways and cheer people on. Finish on the 50 yard line is fun :

planning on doing the I-Challenge (full) again. Just waiting to clear some dates for potential travel to make sure there is no conflict before I register, but granted nothing overlaps, i'm in!!
2014-01-02 9:59 AM

User image

Regular
Morton IL
Originally posted by JennyBlaze22

I want to do this one!! Mixed reviews-- I've heard due to almost all concrete that it takes a toll on the body. But also hear its a good BQ Whats the word???

The only concrete I recall is when you run in a park. The park has a wide concrete trail, wide for a trail but narrow compared to the road. In this stretch I ran in the grass at times, it got congested and I didnt want to slow. This wasnt a real long stretch though, maybe a few miles max. The course is as flat as you will ever find and is the best supported race I have ever done.
2014-01-02 12:42 PM

User image

Bethany, Illinois
I was planning on doing the full, but instead doing the 1/2 due to the Sullivan Tri being the next day.
2014-01-02 12:48 PM

User image

New user
Crest Hill
Thanks!!!! That being said.... I'M IN!!!!!!

2014-01-02 5:39 PM
in reply to: cnixon83

User image

Regular
Morton IL
Originally posted by cnixon83

I was planning on doing the full, but instead doing the 1/2 due to the Sullivan Tri being the next day.

Last year I did Friday night 5K, half marathon, Sullivan 3 days in a row.

Sullivan was a struggle....... I had slipped in a gravel a week earlier running with my nephew, hand was road rashed. Every slap of the hand in the pool shot needles threw my hand but I swam OK. My bike was sorta OK, run was a complete tank. Somebody moved a trail marker and a bunch of us ran to far, I could barely run at all so this was a problem for me. It was my first tri and I was still getting in shape. I remember several said they did the half and one girl had done the full the day before. Yeah the one that ran the full passed me on the run and beat me by like 30 seconds. It was FUN!! Skipping this year though Good luck!
2014-04-11 4:10 PM

User image

New user
Crest Hill
Now that the Illinois Marathon is closer wondering who's all in??? Getting pumped considering I 'think' it may have finally stopped snowing!
2014-04-12 5:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling

I'm in for the full.  It will be my first "stand alone" marathon.  My pipe dream is to BQ.  Running with the 7:05 pacer and if I haven't bonked by mile 22-23 I will take off from them at that point to try and get some cushion minutes.  Looking forward to it.  My two sisters and their husbands are all doing the half.  Dad is doing his first 10k there and he's really nervous about it.  His goal is that he wants to place in his AG.  55-59.  I keep telling him to not think of that and just run his race and see what happens.  I don't think he realizes just how many people show up to run this event.  Maybe I'll see ya down there Paul.  You wearing your' T3 stuff?  If so I'll keep an eye out for you.

2014-04-13 11:15 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
I'm in for the full challenge
2014-04-14 6:13 PM

User image

Regular
Morton IL
Originally posted by Bevie

I'm in for the full.  It will be my first "stand alone" marathon.  My pipe dream is to BQ.  Running with the 7:05 pacer and if I haven't bonked by mile 22-23 I will take off from them at that point to try and get some cushion minutes.  Looking forward to it.  My two sisters and their husbands are all doing the half.  Dad is doing his first 10k there and he's really nervous about it.  His goal is that he wants to place in his AG.  55-59.  I keep telling him to not think of that and just run his race and see what happens.  I don't think he realizes just how many people show up to run this event.  Maybe I'll see ya down there Paul.  You wearing your' T3 stuff?  If so I'll keep an eye out for you.

Thats awesome! Got the fam all running!

Yeah weather permitting I will wear the T3 tri top, hat, and running shorts. Getting nervous but excited for it, only race so far this year was a 5K so I am ready for something bigger. Several from my tri club are coming. A few of us are going to try and push each other into the 3:30s. Hopefully I dont blow up......

2014-04-15 1:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Not Quite DFL
Originally posted by JennyBlaze22

Now that the Illinois Marathon is closer wondering who's all in??? Getting pumped considering I 'think' it may have finally stopped snowing!

Saw this just today. I chuckled, because (at least around here) it snowed last night.
2014-04-18 9:49 AM
in reply to: crimefighter2

User image

New user
Crest Hill
LOL yea I guess I jumped the gun on the whole done snowing thing! ughhhh. Well at least it looks like the weather in Champaign will be marathon perfect woohoooooo
2014-04-23 9:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

over a barrier
I'm eyeing a Spring Marathon next year that isn't a large race.

I'm looking for flat and fast. Sounds like this might be a great choice.

Weather typically 50-60's? I think Spring comes a littler earlier there than Chicago.

Edited by running2far 2014-04-23 9:32 AM
2014-04-23 3:22 PM
in reply to: running2far

User image

Regular
Morton IL
I ran the half last year (my first). The half was bone flat, and I managed a better pace than I thought I could. It seems common for people to PR there. I was told the full has a slight rise after the 1/2 breaks off but still elevation is shown at 85ft total so it cant be much.

I am very close to the Run River City marathon in Peoria which is May 18th. Did the 25K last year (they switched it to a half & full this year). It was pretty flat but* early on there was 1 sharp hill that slowed me and took something out of me for a few miles. Nothing like that at the IL. I am hoping for a 10 minute PR over my first marathon attempt which was late last year.
2014-04-23 8:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Paul there is one hill on Armory that they say is tough. I ran it in the 10k a couple years ago and didn't think much of it. Flat landers think it's something though. Mile 23-24 or something like that. We'll certainly put it to the test!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone doing the Illinois marathon in Champaign? Rss Feed