General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon or Half IM, what comes first? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-12-15 8:20 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Canyon, Texas
Subject: RE: Marathon or Half IM, what comes first?
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Other than agreeing that a stand alone marathon is of questionable value for someone with the goal of an IM, I'm going to ask a question.  Why the rush to an IM only two years after coming off the couch?  As a very general recommendation, and knowing nothing about you, I'd suggest getting at least one more year of endurance sports behind you before taking on the training load needed to have a good experience at the IM distance.

I have to agree... maybe complete a HIM before you even consider an IM? I applaud your enthusiasm but with only 3 months of activity after 15 years on the couch, the odds are stacked against you completing an IM within 2 years. Lord knows I endured many injuries my first two years of training and I wasn't even thinking about an Ironman. Either way, I wish you the best!

2013-12-16 8:23 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Originally posted by Donto

Personally I'd do a HIM first at the end of the season as you'll be tri training all summer.  I know people that have done a IM without running a stand alone Marathon beforehand.

Did IM Whistler this year having never done a marathon beforehand. I melted a tad in the run but running a marathon would have made zero difference. A few extra 25-30 km training runs (2-3) would have along with a few more 150km rides. That said I can live with an 11:28 IM time if I never do another.
2013-12-17 10:30 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Originally posted by simpsonbo

Originally posted by Donto

Personally I'd do a HIM first at the end of the season as you'll be tri training all summer.  I know people that have done a IM without running a stand alone Marathon beforehand.

Did IM Whistler this year having never done a marathon beforehand. I melted a tad in the run but running a marathon would have made zero difference. A few extra 25-30 km training runs (2-3) would have along with a few more 150km rides. That said I can live with an 11:28 IM time if I never do another.

11:28 is a pretty rockin' good first IM I think.

I'd follow his advice since he's probably faster than I'll ever be. But, a marathon hurts like almost nothing else if you're actually racing it (vs. just finishing it). If you want to psychologically acclimate yourself to pain, I'd do the marathon. But, if your pain goes from hurt to injury, you've just destroyed the next few months of training.

I'm going to go against the wisdom here and say: If your long-term goal is an IM in two years, then it's very helpful to endure pain now so it doesn't slow you down later. And, nothing hurts like the marathon.
2013-12-17 10:39 AM
in reply to: adelsud

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by adelsud

I'd follow his advice since he's probably faster than I'll ever be. But, a marathon hurts like almost nothing else if you're actually racing it (vs. just finishing it). If you want to psychologically acclimate yourself to pain, I'd do the marathon. But, if your pain goes from hurt to injury, you've just destroyed the next few months of training.

I'm going to go against the wisdom here and say: If your long-term goal is an IM in two years, then it's very helpful to endure pain now so it doesn't slow you down later. And, nothing hurts like the marathon.

One could argue that really racing a HIM would result in similar pain. No doubt the recovery of a M is longer. But in the moment of a race, a HIM can hurt pretty bad.
2013-12-17 12:00 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Hell, A sprint Triathlon hurts in the moment. I've run a 50k trail race and I'm still gassed at the end of a Sprint. I'm actually gassed at the end of a 100m sprint when I'm doing track work. There's a point, though, in a long distance running event where your body starts trying to convince your brain it's injured. It's a psychological game where you tell your body to shut the hell up and eventually it does.

But, I think the Marathon is where that really starts to happen.

But, I've never done an HIM.

A previous poster said: Ask a runner and they'll tell you Marathon. Post on a Triathlete board and you'll get the Triathlon.

There is a psychological value - I believe - in knowing the marathon won't actually hurt you. Otherwise, I'd expect it to be this massive, looming, edifice staring at your all 5 hours of the bike ride.

2013-12-17 12:08 PM
in reply to: Dnn

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Originally posted by Dnn

I'd say training for a HIM is harder. A marathon race is harder than a HIM race.

Also, at least for me, the recovery after a HIM is much quicker than after a Marathon. After last year's HIM I was back to normal in 4-5 days while it usually takes me about two weeks to get up to speed after a Marathon. Based upon this I would do the Marathon first then start training for a HIM after a week or two.

2013-12-17 1:03 PM
in reply to: simobk

User image

You have to decide what your motivation for doing each of the events is. You don't need to complete a marathon to do an IM. In many ways a hard marathon might take more out of you than an IM will. If a marathon is something you want to accomplish though, definitely go for it. You'd want to place a significant amount of time between your marathon and your IM though since the recover involved with the marathon is going to take away from your ability to train after it. A HIM placed during your IM buildup can be a great idea as it giver your an opportunity to work on race day nutrition and won't take away from your training significantly. Above all though, make sure you are doing what you enjoy. It's too easy to get wrapped up in trying to put together a perfect race schedule. Sometimes you just have to go for what you want.
2013-12-18 4:35 PM
in reply to: travis_lt

User image

Champion
Calgary
1. Training for a marathon is way way way way harder on your body than training for a HIM.
2. Racing a marathon is way harder on your body than racing a HIM.
3. You are much more likely to get injured training for a marathon than a HIM.
4. There is no need to do either a HIM or a Marathon prior to completing a IM.
5. Given the choice between the person who did OK on the Marathon and the person who did OK at the HIM, given otherwise equivalent triathlon training my money would be on the guy who did the Marathon.
6. Completing an IM is easier and less taxing on the body than racing a Marathon.
7. Simply completing a marathon does not help you regarding your IM.

If you could handle the hard training required to really go out and race a marathon, then I say go with the marathon. I doubt anyone just a couple of months into running can handle that. Therefore I say go with the HIM.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon or Half IM, what comes first? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

First Marathon Coming Up (NYC) - what Pace?

Started by m2tx
Views: 2127 Posts: 21

2012-10-18 4:00 PM mjp202

First IM - IM Mont Tremblant or IM Florida?

Started by firemedic001918
Views: 2547 Posts: 11

2014-07-28 10:47 AM KSH

Half-IM after first marathon?

Started by Dr. McNinja
Views: 941 Posts: 7

2011-02-16 12:56 PM Dr. McNinja

sprint 2 weeks before my first half IM?

Started by kingofbanff
Views: 972 Posts: 10

2010-02-27 2:47 PM hockeyhands

Was your first marathon during your first IM? Pages: 1 2

Started by tri_d00d
Views: 3768 Posts: 43

2010-02-09 10:51 AM Kido
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?
date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.

date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.