General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Working on mental fitness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-09 10:57 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: Working on mental fitness

(let's see if this turns into a 7 page thread )

I was thinking about the whole how-do-I-get-faster thread, and one of the PMs I received mentioned mental toughness. I believe it's a big part of marathon racing. For example, at Philly, I averaged an 8:44 pace, but ran the last .35 miles (per my Garmin) at a 7:51 pace. I think that shows that I had some more speed in me, but couldn't/ didn't turn it on until I was almost a the finish line (and I know that's a short distance)

2013-12-09 11:05 AM
in reply to: trishie

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Working on mental fitness
Your mind will quit before your body will quit. You must understand this to be successful.

There is A LOT on the web on this topic so take a google search. You can also read some books on mental training as well. And of course the discussion points on BT can be good as well.

Here is an article in relation to IM training.
http://newtotri.com/2012/04/triathlon-building-your-mental-fortress...

Some things I practice in training to build my mental strength

Do session where ultimately I will fail, but how badly i want to succeed dictates when I will fail.

Sessions that replicate the hard part of the race, run your hardest segments in the last part of hard runs

Bike trainer rides facing a wall, you don't watch TV when racing do you?

Train with people that are faster then me, learning to suffer when you are getting beaten teaches you a lot
2013-12-09 11:12 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Subject: RE: Working on mental fitness
I agree that a lot of it is mental, but I also think one needs to get to a certain level of fitness before the mind is able to keep the body pushing. So, you have to build up the body to the point that it can be forced by the mind to keep going. I think Chrissie said that she like to build in some really hard days, to give confidence that you can get through them. That also has the benefit of training the body too. Last year I had my best HIM, and a lot of it was mental, but it was the knowledge of knowing that I had put in some hard work, so that when the time to really focus came, my legs were able to respond.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Working on mental fitness Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Who else works in a fitness realted industry?

Started by Meats
Views: 1848 Posts: 24

2010-07-05 9:54 AM mrandell

LA Fitness, Anytime Fitness, Bally's, Snap Fitness? Pages: 1 2

Started by vonschnapps
Views: 12505 Posts: 31

2015-02-17 8:18 PM Miles around Midtown

Fitness Incentives From Work

Started by medic0020
Views: 1477 Posts: 20

2006-12-14 6:09 PM Vaiza

Anyone working out at 24 Hr Fitness here?

Started by Z-dog
Views: 375 Posts: 1

2006-11-29 12:32 AM Z-dog

Running Fitness to Biking Fitness

Started by cdf26.2
Views: 978 Posts: 3

2004-04-29 1:04 PM max
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 2, 2006
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
Triathlon is more than just three sports. For most of us it includes the real world of work, family and a host of other obligations. Only one problem: when and how much sleep should we get?

date : July 5, 2005
author : chrisandniki
You’ll find you can work these general routines around your work and family commitments, while keeping yourself fit enough for Sprint or Olympic triathlon distances.
date : October 17, 2004
author : mbologna
One way to improve your speed is to do track work that totals the time and distance goal. The idea is to slowly condition your body to be comfortable at your goal pace.

date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.
date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well its the middle of winter and there is 5 inches of snow on the ground and I am too cheap to buy a gym membership and take spinning classes, so what do I do?

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout
date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
Mental toughness is skill. You need to learn how to suffer. You practice perseverance everyday when you are out training in the bad weather, when you ride or run further than you have ever gone.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
My dog is an intelligent runner. She does a big stretch before she does anything. She starts out slowly and gradually builds up speed until we are running very fast.