General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DNF v DNS Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-09 11:38 PM

User image

New user

Subject: DNF v DNS
Just DNF’ed my latest IM (West Australia) and whilst not too disappointed under the circumstances, I was wondering what fellow BT’ers would have done. I came down with gastro and lost 4kgs after race weigh in (thursday). I spent friday in bed unable to do anything or eat anything, started to come good saturday morning and by evening I had put the 4kg back on. Race morning I felt OK and so decided to start. I made the end of the bike leg before my stomach cramps said no more and so I had to pull out.

As part of my post race analysis I was just curious as to what other people would have done in my situation - start or not? Is DNF better than DNS?

On a side note I had my best swim ever, my fastest time (by 4 minutes) and the most relaxed at the end (thanks TI) and even managed for the first time ever to draft another swimmer. I had a lightbulb moment when I had been swimming alongside another competitor for some time to drop back and draft and so was towed about the last 1km home. As a BOP swimmer I enjoyed the swim more than ever before and felt it a pivotal point in my swimming development and for that I have no regrets about starting on the day.

2013-12-10 5:51 AM
in reply to: starman

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: DNF v DNS
Originally posted by starman

I have no regrets about starting on the day.

And with that - you've got your answer.
2013-12-10 9:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by starman

• .. Is DNF better than DNS?

• On a side note I had my best swim ever, my fastest time (by 4 minutes) and the most relaxed at the end (thanks TI) and even managed for the first time ever to draft another swimmer. I had a lightbulb moment when I had been swimming alongside another competitor for some time to drop back and draft and so was towed about the last 1km home. As a BOP swimmer I enjoyed the swim more than ever before and felt it a pivotal point in my swimming development and for that I have no regrets about starting on the day.

Sounds like you made the right choice.
    2013-12-10 10:36 AM

User image

Chicago, IL

I would DNF over DNS.

In your situation, you were physically able to start. That's exactly what I would have done.
    A DNS would leave me constantly wondering "what if...", whereas with a DNF, I know i've given everything I have.

2013-12-10 8:13 PM
    in reply to: Brit Abroad

User image

Expert
    Marin County, California
    I'd go for a DNF over a DNS simply because you just never know how the day may pan out. At least you gave yourself the chance to not DNF if things went well.
    2013-12-10 10:00 PM

User image

Veteran
    Colorful Colorado

A few years ago I had a similar experience at IMMT. I got the stomach flu right after the banquet and spent the day before the race in bed with a fever and gastric distress. Come race morning the fever was gone but I was very weak. I decided to start the race anyway. It was the calmest I have ever been before an IM because I had absolutely no expectations. The whole day was about getting the most out of what I had that day. Surprisingly I managed to finish, but it was a long long day.

Ironman is about challenging yourself and doing the best you can with what you have. DNF > DNS as long as you are not seriously compromising your health.

Good on you for toeing the line.

2013-12-10 11:29 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

I think you did the right thing. If you already paid for the race and hotels and were in a good enough condition to at least race, why not race and see what happens? I'm with the above poster. When I did my HIM, I was in the middle of a cold and the non-smoking room I rented ended up being a smokers room and the guy at the desk didn't care. I spent the night stuffed to hell but on race morning, I was so calm it was unbelievable. I was more worried about my nose than swimming (my worst sport).

It would take a lot of take me out of an IM. All that training and money needs to at least go towards an attempt. I definitely have a limit to where I know it would be too dangerous ti swim and bike with a bad body and mostly bad mind to be safe.

Edited by Blastman 2013-12-10 11:30 PM
    2013-12-11 8:12 AM

User image

Master
    New Jersey
    I'm with you. It would take A LOT for me to DNS, so I would have started with pretty much zero expectations and just enjoyed as much as I could handle. Congrats.
    2013-12-11 10:30 AM

User image

Champion
    Austin, Texas

As with everyone else on here, I would take the DNF over a DNS.  With a DNS you would have always wondered what might have happened on that day.  This way, you went out and gave it your all before not being able to continue.  

I don't think I've ever regretted starting a race, but I've definitely regretted NOT starting one.  

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DNF v DNS Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

DNS vs DNF

Started by Cayenne
    Views: 2161 Posts: 11

2011-10-21 11:29 AM Jorgito22

1st Attempt at HIM was a DNF

Started by jford2309
    Views: 1306 Posts: 5

2010-12-14 2:08 PM marathongirl11

Maybe why I DNF'd At IMAZ???? (long)

Started by Freeswimmingfish
    Views: 2105 Posts: 9

2008-04-26 9:24 AM 1stTimeTri

What do you say to a DNF? Pages: 1 2

Started by the bear
    Views: 2549 Posts: 28

2006-06-30 9:39 PM Rogillio

How many DNF's?

Started by StartingOld
    Views: 965 Posts: 4

2006-01-09 5:46 PM haroldbuck
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : June 7, 2011
    author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
    comments : 3
    Clearing my head after failing to finish

date : February 5, 2010
    author : jswayland
    comments : 7
    On the day of the race my chain jumped off again and got wrapped so tightly around my crank that I couldn’t finish. I DNF'ed my first triathlon.
    date : October 2, 2005
    author : janicebondar
    comments : 0
    I committed a serious faux pas; trespassed into taboo territory, inviting all those karma chickens to come home to roost - Recounting my most recent DNS ("Did Not Start")

date : September 3, 2005
    author : joeinco
    comments : 6
    As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.
    date : January 24, 2005
    author : BrianPBN
    comments : 0
    As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.