Overall Rank = 923/2484
Age Group = 30-34 (D)
Age Group Rank = 130/266
Swim
  • 52m 41s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was very fast due to the current, modified length and course and the drafting. Was able to put myself in a good position at the start of the race and got a great start and was able to draft. Navigation was a bit unclear but just followed the pack. Was a good experience for my first mass start and was able to PR even without a wetsuit. Visibility was 100% and water was calm the day of the race.
What would you do differently?:

Be sure of where I had to swim (buoys on right or left). Otherwise it was a great race!!!! Best swim EVER!
Transition 1
  • 06m 42s
Comments:

Great transition. Ran out of swim, up the dock, rinsed off salt under the shower and took off my speedsuit. Got feet dry and put on Chamois cream and got everything ready to go. Ran to bike and ran out to mounting area. Cut transition time in HALF from IMLP!!!!

Nothing
Bike
  • 6h 05m 21s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.39 mile/hr
Comments:

Wind was strong around East side of the island however was able to join some packs for the first 2 loops because there were so many people, this was able to help with the wind. Third loop was hard around this section. Biked hard the last 7-10 miles to try to break the 6hr mark but was unable to. Was pretty much in Aero position the whole time which put a lot of strain on my lower back and made it hurt badly towards the end of the bike into the run. DID NOT STOP ONCE! HAMMERED IT OUT!

Not much at all! I rocked it out!!!! Maybe come out of the saddle once or twice to relieve my lower back.
Transition 2
  • 04m 43s
Comments:

Transition was very good. Changed socks and dried off my feet and put shoes on right away. No change of clothes. Got sunscreen on upper arms and back of neck. Got a drink.

Get more sunscreen on my forearms so they didn't burn in the sun/heat of the first loop of the run.
Run
  • 5h 16m 31s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

First loop was VERY hot and started out WAY TOO fast (First mile was 8:47, Second mile was 9:XX, etc.). Going hard on the last few miles of the bike and starting out fast in the intense heat and sun really drained me on the first loop. Forearms were burning from not having sunscreen on and had to start pouring water on them. Then it rained really hard the rest of the run forcing all of us to run through the water. Started cramping a lot, in the right hamstring and right calf especially on the third loop. Need to manage that better with salt and stretching. Was able to walk / run to the finish as fast as I possibly could, however my run was longer than any marathon I have done.

Not smear as much blue sunscreen on forearms as I did and then was working to get it off. Start out at a slower, more manageable pace. Could have probably ditched my sunglasses earlier when it started to rain. Not walk as much. Take salt capsules with me to help with cramping or use INFINIT on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk
Short Stretch
Sit and ate pizza

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramping in my right leg during the run.

Event comments:

I DID AN AMAZING PR at this race of 1hr and 45mins better than my first Ironman at Lake Placid!!!!! Really crushed it on the swim and the bike. The swim due to the current and making good decisions and swimming well. And the bike being due to better training, not having to stop AT ALL, and maintaining aero position and hammering it out. Transitions were great and cut them both in half. Didn't have much left on the Third loop of the run, will have to work on that and balancing out salt/water for cramping. Overall: I HAD MY BEST RACE EVER TO THIS POINT!!!

Last updated: 2013-12-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:52:41 | 4224 yards | 01m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 85/266
Overall: 822/2484
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Speedsuit (Wetsuit ineligible)
Course: Modified swim course with an intense current due to choppiness/weather the the days leading up to the race (double red flags/severe wind). Course was actually 1.9 miles and with the current and point to point.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:42
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:05:21 | 112 miles | 18.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 111/266
Overall: 808/2484
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Flat course, 3x loops around the South Side of the island. Jungle and Beach for the most part. Great Course!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
05:16:31 | 26.2 miles | 12m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 129/266
Overall: 923/2484
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat, 3x 8.7 mile out and back loops along shore on the road coming in and out of town in Cozumel, Mexico.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-12-13 1:39 PM

New user

Subject: Ironman Cozumel

2013-12-13 2:34 PM
in reply to: #4912862

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Ironman Cozumel
You sound so proud of yourself...that's awesome! You earned it!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Cozumel Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IronMan Cozumel

Started by bojitri
Views: 2527 Posts: 3

2009-12-22 9:17 PM TriPatrick

IronMan Cozumel

Started by cwsiii
Views: 3727 Posts: 4

2009-12-22 9:32 PM tjfry

IronMan Cozumel

Started by trishie
Views: 5515 Posts: 15

2010-01-12 9:00 PM carlwithac

IronMan Cozumel

Started by soares3711
Views: 3087 Posts: 6

2009-12-04 6:23 PM tebeal

IronMan Cozumel

Started by robin314159
Views: 5220 Posts: 16

2009-12-05 12:38 PM KSH
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.