General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Elbow Pain from Swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-14 2:55 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: Elbow Pain from Swimming
I've been diagnosed as having medial epicondylitis, also know as golfers elbow. I've only been swimming 20 minutes in the last 6 weeks due to elbow pain. My last swim was a little over a week ago as the pain was about gone. The next day, my elbow was very stiff and sore again. Has anyone else had this and what did you do about it? My doctor gave me some exercises but they haven't helped too much yet.

2013-12-15 3:45 PM
in reply to: nickster

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Elbow Pain from Swimming

Swimming, as low impact as it is, still can get you injured.  I've had elbow (and shoulder) pain from swimming- generally when I get back into the pool after a few month's winter hiatus, and I ramp up too quickly.  

My guess is let it rest, and come back to the pool with slower, easier workouts.

A good deep tissue massage might help as well.

2013-12-15 4:18 PM
in reply to: nickster

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Elbow Pain from Swimming
Originally posted by nickster

I've been diagnosed as having medial epicondylitis, also know as golfers elbow. I've only been swimming 20 minutes in the last 6 weeks due to elbow pain. My last swim was a little over a week ago as the pain was about gone. The next day, my elbow was very stiff and sore again. Has anyone else had this and what did you do about it? My doctor gave me some exercises but they haven't helped too much yet.

This sounds a little odd, but you could go back to the pool today or tomorrow, just to swim 1 or 2 lengths. Identify what part of the stroke is causing the pain...now that is hurt, you should know immediately what part of hte stroke is causing it. Swim gently and see if there are different ways you can interact with the water to make the pain decrese. That will give you a clue as to what might be contributing . Also video the stroke, especially the underwater part, and post it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Elbow Pain from Swimming Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Elbow pain caused by swimming?

Started by jgalaviz
Views: 1032 Posts: 6

2011-04-28 3:25 PM halfmarathondon

Elbow pain with swim

Started by Oldteen
Views: 927 Posts: 4

2010-02-11 8:49 PM Oldteen

Common reason for elbow pain from swimming?

Started by matt3liv
Views: 1090 Posts: 6

2008-01-22 10:51 AM matt3liv

Elbow pain biking

Started by JonnyP
Views: 836 Posts: 7

2006-05-26 3:30 PM Scout7

Elbow pain after bike ride - Please help!

Started by punkroq975
Views: 4691 Posts: 9

2004-09-15 3:24 PM Machiavelo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 23, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 3
What are the possible treatments for tennis elbow?

date : March 23, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
This is a video of the fingertip drag drill used for recovery to promote high elbows upon hand entry.

date : March 4, 2009
author : nevergivin
comments : 5
Benefits of an underwater swim clinic to help correct your swimming stroke - plus a few swim tips to be mindful of.
date : January 3, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
We review the Halo Swim Trainer and how it can help the 'high elbow catch' part of your swim stroke along with your swimming tempo.

date : July 9, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on swimming slower, swim golf, the fist drill and shoulder pain.
date : September 4, 2006
Discussions on leg dragging, swimming with fins, body rotation, keeping the elbow up, kicking benefits and stroke length.

date : July 4, 2006
Focusing on the first part of the pull and avoiding the dreaded “dropped elbow” can help transform your stroke, and allow you to relax and let go of these common challenges.