Madison, Wisconsin
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Total Time = 13h 05m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had a nice early dinner with my buddies the night before and had an early bedtime. Slept pretty well considering the nerves that were going on.
Event warmup:

Woke up around 4:30 am and started to get some coffee and some food in me. Looking back on the day I should have eaten more in the morning but I am an early riser anyway and tried to just eat what I would normally eat knowing that my stomach could handle it. Met up with the guys for the walk down to the start from our hotel on State Street. I was glad that I took a bike pump with me and my wife was happy to carry it back for me but there were a TON of people who wanted to borrow it and I finally had to say no because I needed to get going towards the water. I wish that we had left the hotel about 15 minutes earlier but it is what it is.
Swim
  • 1h 11m
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had done a :27 minute swim at a half Ironman in June so I was anticipating that I could go around 1:03 but the waves and the beating that I took on the swim really slowed me down. My goal was to not get kicked in the face so I pretty much swam the first 800 yards with my face out of the water. I tried to just stay calm, unlike everyone else, and just swim from hole to hole in the crowd. At one point a guy repeatedly swam over my back pushing me down in the water. He stopped once I nailed him with an elbow to the side of the face. I can't complain too much about my time because the swim is really hard for a lot of people but this was by far the hardest swim I have ever done in my 21 years of competitive swimming.
What would you do differently?:

Start right on the front and try to just get away from the crowd from the gun. We started near the front but not on the front line and we got clobbered.
Transition 1
  • 11m 34s
Comments:

Had no trouble finding my bag because I had marked it with some bright colored duct tape. I had a great volunteer but I told him to move on because he was trying to rush me and I was in no hurry to get out of there. I wanted to make sure that I did everything that I needed to do since I was going to be on the bike for a while.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 112 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew that the course was taxing on the legs and I am not great on the downhill portions of the course so I decided to go my pace and not worry about the other riders. Got settled into a nice pace about 10 miles into the course and was super surprised to see some of my friends cheering at mile 16 as we crossed a bike path. Saw them again out on the hills which were AMAZING. You barely felt the pain as you watched the fans cheer and run up the hill with you. I was actually looking forward to them as the race went on.

I ran into some of my racing buddies as we went along and saw my family as I finished the first lap after I stopped for a bathroom break. The second lap started to get a little dark for me but I am positive I was just not eating enough. I was bonking pretty bad around mile 90 and didn't get any real food in me until mile 100. I had run into a friend and was riding with him as much as you can. We rolled into T2 together and as I jumped off my bike I saw my main training partner jump off of her bike at the same time. We exchanged a few words and went on our way.ea
What would you do differently?:

Eat more and eat earlier. You underestimate the calories you burn on this thing.
Transition 2
  • 10m 31s
Comments:

No trouble getting my bag again and just went over into a corner by myself to collect my thoughts before heading out.
Run
  • 4h 40m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I decided to stop for a bathroom break as I left T2 and my main running partner came out of the bathroom as I was headed in. I told her I was going to catch up and to keep moving. It took me about 2 miles to catch up to her. We trained together every day of the year so it was amazing to hook up out there and we made a plan after about mile 5 to walk the water stops but run the rest. This was no problem for us and we had a great pace going. We walked observatory hill and our families were on state street so that was awesome. We had 5 other friends racing and we saw all of them.

Made it through the half at 2:04 and we realized we were in big trouble! The rest of the way pretty much sucked but we tried to keep up just walking the water stations. We were on a good pace still until we got back into campus the second time. Once we got back around to state street we were walking more but we knew that we needed to pick it up to get under 12 hours. I wasnt able to eat anything and knew that if I pushed it I would end up in the medical tent so I sent her on her way. I walked more and more but I knew that I was going to finish so I just kept moving forward.

With about 3/4 mile to go a friend from college, 12 years ago, jumps off of the sidewalk as I round a corner and runs up the street with me. That gave me a burst of energy to finish it strong.
Post race
Warm down:

I was really ok after the race but I was happy to get some pizza. I had three friends in the medical tent including my running partner who was getting an IV. I really just wanted to get my shoes off and have some pizza. We waited for a while for the people in the med tent but they were never released so we started walking back. Luckily my dad went and got my gear so I just had to worry about me. My wife stopped and got me some ice cream and fried rice on the way back to the hotel. While I was eating I started to get the chills and was shaking uncontrollably which was funny.

Last updated: 2012-11-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:11:00 | 4224 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 11:34
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 112 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 10:31
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:40:00 | 26.2 miles | 10m 41s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-12-15 6:18 PM

Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2013-12-15 7:39 PM
in reply to: #4913616

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
Nice race report and good job on the race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Wisconsin (Steve-) Pages: 1 2

Started by Steve-
Views: 8758 Posts: 35

2005-10-02 7:47 AM jsargevt

Ironman Wisconsin

Started by aluminum1
Views: 4939 Posts: 23

2005-09-20 12:40 PM cpjohnson

Ironman Wisconsin

Started by weds19
Views: 2398 Posts: 21

2005-09-15 10:54 AM Writebrained

Ironman Wisconsin Pages: 1 2

Started by hdhtri
Views: 6901 Posts: 28

2005-09-21 11:16 AM mullinsm

Ironman Wisconsin Pages: 1 2

Started by moondance
Views: 3900 Posts: 31

2005-09-19 12:18 PM tnickerson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : March 30, 2011
author : mikeinlaguna
comments : 6
I was in the moment, living a dream and on top of the whole world! Honestly, I wish everyone could experience that feeling because it truly cannot be described.
date : January 28, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on doing Ironman Wisconsin on a road bike and a training plan for back-to-back centuries.

date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?
date : July 14, 2008
author : Birkierunner
comments : 2
Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.

date : June 11, 2007
author : TriDDS
If you would have told me that I would want to train over ten hours a week for a race that can last up to 17 hours, I would have laughed. But somehow, my ACL injury has refocused my outlook on life.
date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?

date : December 13, 2004
author : trilover
comments : 1
TriLover recently had the opportunity to interview Tim and Nicole. Read what the DeBooms had to say about triathlon, their support for each other and life.