General Discussion Race Reports! » Meadows Park Pool Biathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Meadows Park Pool Biathlon - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Boca Raton, Florida
United States
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 43m 6s
Overall Rank = 14/24
Age Group = Men. No ages
Age Group Rank = 10/16
Pre-race routine:

Usual pre-training routine, except my race-day tradition of getting a small coffee and having my 1/2 cliff bar with it, plus 1/2 banana en route.
Event warmup:

Did my pre-run walk/jog/stretch routine at home
Swam 2 x 50 in pool on 1:15 tempo to w/u
Ate 2 shot blocks about 15-20 min before swim start
Swim
  • 18m 31s
  • 1000 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swam on 1:15 TT the whole race. Some miscellaneous debris in water. Swam 2/lane, staying on same side, so no circle swimming. Woman in my lane was slower. I did bump into the lane line a couple times, but that's ok. Each lane had lap counter and they were supposed to put an orange sign in the water to signal the last 50. I counted religiously, and they did not put out my sign. I told the guy and kept swimming. When I finished my last 50, he told me to get out. I finished under 20min, which was my goal.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe push the pace at 1:10 or 1:05. Although, my lats are noticeably sore, which never happens. Might just be the distance. Felt it a little in the pool, and moreso when got into the run. Maybe would be faster with flip turns.
Transition 1
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Despite practicing transitions, with the adrenaline pumping, I sent my TT flying when I pulled off my cap! I had to track it down behind a chair. Also, I was a bit disoriented, and went to the wrong transition area at first, 2 chairs to the right of my stuff. I realized but then had to go back and retrieve my goggles and swim cap from the other person's stuff! Put TT on belt clip which was on my suit waistband during the swim. Dried feet with extra hand towel. Socks rolled right on. Shoes with Yankz! went right on. No top the entire race. Just swim jammer. No race belt necessary. Hat and glasses, and I was off. Wanted to be out in under 45" so pretty close. Tried eating 2 shot blocks on way out. Out of breath so chewed up a bit, but then just spit them out.

Be more careful with TT. Try liquid gels.
Run
  • 23m 48s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out very hard and was breathing hard most of the race. As planned! Thought my TT was broken, but turns out that with the adrenaline, I was pressing 2 buttons instead of just one to turn it on. No wonder I thought it was broken! Without my TT at 180 or my iPhone with Nike Running app, I could not pace self as well. Calves were very tight and at the end, were cramping. I passed one runner within the first few minutes, and then chased the rabbit (this one woman) the rest of the run. Thought I'd save my sprint for the end and catch her, but waited too long and did not have enough left in my legs at the end to really catch her anyway! That being said, subtracting out the swim time, I came in 3rd overall and among men in transition + run time.

More stretching. Do some actual swim-run bricks and practice transitions under those more realistic, wet conditions. Maybe wear phone on arm for running app, which announces my paces (or just get a Garmin!).
Post race
Warm down:

Collapsed! Did some minor stretching, but probably should have walked more and worked the muscles. Now I'm icing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much. Need to work more on speed in the water. Keep running to get faster. That made the BIGGEST difference between me and the guys above me, which the exception of the 1st place winner, who was incredibly fast in both disciplines.

Event comments:

Well-organized. They've been doing it a lot. Got to meet some other local triathletes and chat a little. The field was pretty mixed between higher level athletes and so-and-sos. I'm somewhere in the middle, as usual. Definitely come back next year to mark my improvement in the swim and run.

Last updated: 2013-12-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:31 | 1000 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/16
Overall: 18/24
Performance: Good
Race Timer says 18:37
Suit: swim jammer
Course: 25 yd lap pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time:  00:48.6
Overall: Below average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Below average
Getting into shoes: Good
Running
00:23:48 | 03.1 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/16
Overall: 3/24
Performance: Good
Equivalent of 7:41
Course: Sidewalks around neighborhoods near the pool. 2 laps.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-12-16 12:22 PM

User image

Subject: Meadows Park Pool Biathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Meadows Park Pool Biathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Meadows Pool Biathlon

Started by snikpos
Views: 911 Posts: 3

2007-02-19 7:32 AM piperfl

Meadows Park Pool Biathlon

Started by ropkins
Views: 819 Posts: 3

2007-02-21 5:29 PM bostic

Meadows Park Biathlon

Started by piperfl
Views: 1077 Posts: 8

2007-02-21 8:51 AM parrj

Meadows Park Pool Aquathlon

Started by snikpos
Views: 1069 Posts: 5

2006-12-04 4:50 PM snikpos

Meadows Pool Duathlon

Started by ropkins
Views: 831 Posts: 3

2006-12-04 10:20 AM bostic
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 22, 2011
author : shaunjamison
comments : 1
Ups and downs race report from the Lakes to Pines Sprint Triathlon by a master's aged newbie.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : March 17, 2008
author : Yosel20
At first I thought, "Oh boy, what a mistake!" Let’s face it, I could barely run half a mile, I had not swum in forever, and my biking skills were not great, to say the least.

date : March 5, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Most of us belong to groups and there will always be pressure to keep up. It may be underlying or it may be outright, but no doubt, that pressure to go faster is always there.
date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.

date : June 14, 2005
author : marmadaddy
comments : 17
Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. After a few "laps" you thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."
date : October 17, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 0
My sister warned me about being used as a launch ramp by faster swimmers but much to my surprise I was the one swimming over those in front of me. I went around one woman, then another.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!