General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Marathon maintenance and improvement plan? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-16 6:09 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: Half Marathon maintenance and improvement plan?
Hello everyone!

I just completed my first half marathon without walking since ITBS sidelined me a year ago. Looks like I'm strong enough now to add some speed work maybe once every other week into a run focused training plan (while building a base for swimming and biking) for another Half Marathon happening mid to late March 2014. What I'm looking for is some suggestions to maintain and improve my running fitness for that upcoming race AND following that for Vineman 70.3 in July. Can anyone give me a suggested plan? I can run 4-5x/week now. I was thinking about this schedule the week following New Year's Day:

Sunday: Long Run
Monday: Short bike
Tuesday: Short run and swim
Wednesday: Medium run and bike
Thursday: Short run (speed work) and easy swim
Friday: Short run and swim
Saturday: Long bike

I'm currently at 25mpw and most of my runs have been in Zone 2 or easier breathing. I'm thinking short runs of 3-4 miles and medium runs of 6-7 miles. It's the long runs I'm mainly curious about... Before my half marathon my longest run was 12 miles LSD on the 14th. How should I lay out my long runs using 3 weeks build and 1 week recovery?

Thanks!
Roland

2013-12-17 10:39 AM
in reply to: kloofyroland

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Subject: RE: Half Marathon maintenance and improvement plan?
This site has some nice plans, you should be able to find something here.
2013-12-17 11:50 AM
in reply to: kloofyroland

User image

Boulder, Colorado

Roland

Congrats on getting through the ITBS. My recommendation would be to go to a 3 week training plan - 2 week of solid work, 4-5 easy days, then back on track for the 3rd weekend. This takes away the full recovery week and it will give you more quality workouts over time. And most importantly, less chance for injury. I've used this formula successfully, personally and with my athletes (I've been coaching for just over 25 years). Using a 4 block period is fine but really only appropriate when you are training a high volumes - 20-+ hours a week. Otherwise, you can get away with what I suggested.

You are coming off an injury and yes I don't see a day off on the schedule. The way I would set up the plan would be:
Monday off or easy recovery swim

Tuesday - short / hard bike, run off the bike 30- (minutes)

Wed - Longer Swim / weights

Thurs - bike / run 30'

Friday - swim / easy run (if that's your limiter)

Sat - swim/bike/run

Sun - long run  / easy recovery bike

Speed on the run should be done 50 weeks a year - this includes 30" (second) pickups - build up to 10x30" at 5k pace.

Other workouts should include tempo running (HM pace) either off the bike or at the end of the your long runs.

Track work - that's the final 5% and you don't really need that, but if you are so inclined start that 10 weeks out from your A race.

Also, we have great plans in the Gold membership and a custom plan creator as well. Happy to help so feel free to send me or post questions here.

Good luck!

2013-12-17 3:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Mike! :D

Question about Saturday, is that swim or bike or run? Or all 3?

Edited by kloofyroland 2013-12-17 3:44 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Marathon maintenance and improvement plan? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Half Marathon Running Maintenance

Started by isyphoto
Views: 2855 Posts: 3

2013-01-23 6:32 AM cgregg

Power Improvement vs. Speed Improvement

Started by GoFaster
Views: 1045 Posts: 7

2010-08-12 3:57 PM docswim24

Minimum maintenance workout plan

Started by AndrewZ57
Views: 676 Posts: 5

2009-06-29 8:42 PM AndrewZ57

Training fora Half Marathon while using a Winter Maintenance Plan

Started by dangremond
Views: 2943 Posts: 5

2008-10-28 5:28 PM Bronwyn1968

Quick Running Improvement Plan

Started by kudude
Views: 2875 Posts: 15

2008-08-26 9:13 AM NC Runner
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 17, 2009
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.
date : December 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Spice up your training! Improve your VO2 max and threshold. If you are using this plan during the winter, you can start your specific training in the spring with a nice improvement in your speed.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : January 9, 2008
comments : 1
This plan is an advanced plan in terms of volume and intensity and appropriate for someone who is looking to go under 5:00 and as fast as 4:30. There isn’t a lot of fluff in the plan.

date : October 23, 2006
author : Team BT
Three new 'focused' swim, bike & run 8-week winter maintenance plans to offer improvement on your limiters. There will be workouts focused on technique and some focused on volume, speed, & strength.
date : October 24, 2005
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.