BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 75

2014-05-04 8:32 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED
Awesome job Blanda! That's a huge improvement.

2014-05-04 9:07 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Blanda - Awesome race!! That is a major % improvement over the prior year, great job!

Jason - Sounds like a great way to spend a week. In the past I have had some of my absolute best training weeks when I am away from home, school, wherever I was living at the time...specially when it was wrapped around rest and relaxation. Enjoy the week, it could be a great lead in to TTT.

I can already tell an improvement in some muscle recruitment issues I was having by working with the Acceleration guys. Hopefully the week off the roads, running wise, coupled with keeping up with my prescribed rehab and exercises will mean a smooth return to running next week. I am trying to decide what to do about a "race" I am signed up for next week. The River Bank Run which is one of the premier road races anywhere, especially at the 25K distance, is next weekend, right here in little old Grand Rapids. I've been signed up for it since before my surgery in December. Over the last month or so I figured I would just cruise it with my wife as she is running it for the second time. I am definitely not feeling like even "cruising" 15+ miles at this point is in my best interest.I thought about dropping down and just using the 10K as my long run for that week, but now I'm not running at all this week. That would mean probably a short run toward the end of this week and then the 10K. Hmmmm...maybe I should just cruise around the 25K course and cheer for the wife...just can't decide what to do.

Have a nice relaxing Sunday everyone.
2014-05-04 11:39 AM
in reply to: 43YORook

User image

Master

Blanda- WOW!! That is awesome!! Huge improvement over the last year. I really can't even imagine how fast you would be if you did normal courses like we do in the states. Go girl!!!

Chris- I would strongly suggest not running AT ALL during the race next weekend. Really what do you have to gain from doing the race? Do the pro's out weigh the cons? Will you be happy with a time that is not up to your standards? Will this race set back your recovery and possibly delay your return to running full time?

Been there done that-

Hope everyone has a great afternoon!!

2014-05-04 1:00 PM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Had my first 'true' ride with my new bike setup and saddle today. Went 35 miles with a big group, and we had a ball. Lots of climbing (close to 2000 feet over 35 miles), and two of those climbs were pretty sizeable (think miles long), and I felt good the entire time. The good news is that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Adamo in aero. LOVE IT! I feel so much stronger and efficient on the bike now. Sitting up and riding on the horns isn't nearly as comfortable, but it's all sit bone pressure. I figure the sit bones will toughen up over time, but NO soft tissue discomfort anywhere. I'm pretty optimistic about the whole deal.

Didn't ride hard coming back in, but I put together a section of about 8 miles where I was averaging 20-21 mph and didn't feel like I was working too hard. I'm pretty optimistic about the improvements I might be able to make on the bike this year.

Jason...I sent you a message about TTT and the names of the three people in our tri club that are going. Interesting that 2 of the 3 are in the medical field (nurse and cardiac researcher).
2014-05-04 3:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Nancy, I want a new bike to love like that!

Thanks, guys! It's 750m swim, 12 mile bike, and 5k run. Same course as 2012 and it's a road race. I think my increased confidence on the bike has decreased my time on it. I'm STILL a BOP swimmer, but I was much closer to MOP this time, and I passed a few people on the bike. The run could've been better if I would've remembered to hydrate and use at least one GU during transition. Without the watch I feel like I better just go as hard as I can to be sure I'm working hard enough.

It was HOT! 85F at 8am. Holy snickers! I'm excited about the next two Olympic distances coming up. There's also a 6 hour endurance MTB race on the 18th this month that should be "fun".

Happy new week!

Edited by Blanda 2014-05-04 3:58 PM
2014-05-04 8:13 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Had my dual this morning. All in all it was good. 32nd overall out of 120 or so, 5/6 in my age group which is slightly discouraging that my AG was apparently more ready than I was. First run of 5k was good, just shy of 24 minutes which was more or less my plan, stay around 7:30-7:45 miles. Bike started off great, really moving and felt amazing. One person passed me the entire way on the bike, besides that I was doing the passing. About 7 miles in the course turned on to a main road and the wind just about faced and smacked you the rest of the way. It was a slight incline but the wind made it feel like you were going backward. I thought I was being a wuss at first but everyone was talking about how brutal it was afterwards. The weather started out nice but a big storm moved in, so there was a big temp drop and some crazy winds. I wanted to hit 20 MPH avg on the bike and ended up with 20.8 and I felt like I had 21+ in me w/o the wind. The last run was 1.5 miles through an apple orchard. Up and down 4 rows, each row being about 1/8 of a mile but just long grass and mud and ups and downs. My legs were not thrilled with the terrain. At all. Really ugly run. Tough way to end the race. I probably went too hard on the bike in retrospect but that was the plan out of the gate: Pace the 5k, do all I can on the bike and suffer through the 1.5 at the end. That I figured would put me at 24 min run, 40 minute bike, 12 minute run, finish around 1:18-1:20. Finished 1:17:29. Really nice to get the first race of the year out of they way and know that I have to step up my game training to tune those numbers up.

2014-05-04 11:24 PM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA

Jason - Interesting insights on dealing with pain on the bike -- thanks for sharing. Glad to hear you are making progress. I'm still trying to embrace the suck in all three disciplines. For the bike and run, it seems like my problem is that I often hit a wall and just can't get my legs to move any faster. I haven't figured out if it's a pain issue, a brain issue, or if I'm simply just plain slow...

Nancy - Glad your bike and saddle are working out well for you. I hear that a pain-free posterior leads to much happiness in life.

Blanda - Great job! That is some serious year-over-year improvement!

Jon - Congrats on the duathlon results, despite the conditions. That sounds like a rugged way to start the season.

I had a long brick workout yesterday -- 65-mile bike / 6-mile run. The day went mostly well until I encountered some GI issues at mile 4 of the run (thank God for trail-side bushes). The good news is I felt fine for the final 2 miles...

2014-05-05 5:55 AM
in reply to: sdswriter

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jon-nice job. You beat the time you were shooting for so that's great.....especially with the wind. You never know who will show up in your AG. Good start to the season.

2014-05-05 9:51 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Blanda kicking a$$ and taking names! GREAT JOB!

Nancy I played with my adamo Saturday and I think I've found the sweet spot too. Although I only took it out for 7 miles (I had already ridden 30 on my roadie). I did, however, pass a litterbug/guy who doesn't stop for red lights like he was standing still LOL It was a good day :D

Time is short today so I rode the trainer for an hour before PT. **grumble** of course it's beautiful out too.

I may sneak in a little run.

Have a good day!!!
2014-05-05 7:26 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Well done Jon! Sounds like you executed your plan well. I can attest the wind was brutal yesterday. Did 35 miles and thank goodness there were three of us. Never been so happy to be in a pace line.
2014-05-05 8:13 PM
in reply to: GoldenSprocket

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Totally spectacular day here in South Carolina. Slept in (10.5 hours last night-heaven). Spectacular weather. Great bike ride. Really nice swim. I figured out something today while swimming outside near noon. I could see my shadow on the bottom of the pool and could see where I was putting my hands in the water and also the shadow of my catch. It was a great visual cue. Very fun.

Family is having a great vacation as well which is probably the most important part. It is hard for me to have fun if everyone else isn't having enjoying themselves.

Nancy, Great news on the new bike. Sounds like the bike, and the person riding it, is very fast.

Jon. To me it sounds like you had a great race. Beat your goal time in less than perfect conditions. Emptied the tank completely so there is no question whether you went hard enough.

2014-05-06 6:15 AM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Originally posted by Catwoman

Chris- I would strongly suggest not running AT ALL during the race next weekend. Really what do you have to gain from doing the race? Do the pro's out weigh the cons? Will you be happy with a time that is not up to your standards? Will this race set back your recovery and possibly delay your return to running full time?

Of course, I know this is correct. I already talked with TOWKA and she agreed that there is no point inn running anything, not even the 10K with taking this week totally off from running. I will still throw on my shoes and shorts and I can cruise lightly to different spots on the course and cheer for all my friends running. I'll keep it under 4 or 5 miles total for the day and it should still be fun. TOWKA is trying to go under 2 hours, which is a crazy improvement since she started running a couple years ago. I'll just try to be in the key spots to give her a nice pick up when she could use it.

On a good note...rode outside last night for only the second time. It is nice to have the bike off the trainer. It wasn't much, I rode with a friend of mine who was on his mountain bike and we just cruised late yesterday evening. I did find interesting that clearly my speed conversion on my trainer is not calibrated correctly. A couple times last night I would ride ahead in an easy gear, that I know exactly what the "speed" would be on my trainer at a given cadence and it appears that it is 2-3 MPH slower on the trainer than outside. ie.) it looks like 16.5 MPH on trainer is more like 18.5 - 19.5 outside. I always thought it was the other way around and it had me worried when looking at my training speed compared to others. I wasn't that worried about it because I'm just starting, but I do feel a little better about it now.

2014-05-06 8:24 AM
in reply to: 43YORook

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Thanks for the words on the race everyone. I'm much more at peace with myself now. I should try and wait a day before writing anything up haha.

Jason - Sounds like a nice time down there. I really want to find a good outdoor lap pool. Something about the stuffiness of an indoor pool is just so daunting but put that scenario outside and it just seems a lot more enjoyable.

Chris - Good idea on taking it easy with the run. No need to push things, especially for that distance. You may end up thanking yourself later this summer.

Quick question or kind of an observation that I may throw in the main forum as well. I find that the days following some "speed work" on the run that my easy runs take a huge leap forward. Almost like there has been progress building up and that one faster run tops it off, then I'm ready to build again. Sunday I raced, therefore my run(s) were a lot faster than my typical Z2 training runs which make up 4 out of every 5 runs I do. (That one other run being speed work, which is typically fartleks of some type over the course of 5 miles.) After I do speed work of some type the next time I go out and do a training run I've noticed that my Z2 runs that my HR stays a few beats lower (maybe 2-5 beats) and my pace drops by maybe 5-15 seconds per mile. Last night I went for a nice easy run, really a recovery run, and my HR was on the lower side of Z2 but my pace was almost 15 seconds quicker. I didn't know if it could have something to do with me being tired and my HR just not getting up to where it normally would or maybe the easy run just seems easier because I put my body through a lot the last few days. Hell, if it's just progress then I'll take that too. It's just something I've noticed over the last few months.
2014-05-06 8:52 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Dilemma: wetsuit

I have a sleeveless wetsuit and I'm really not a big fan of it - why? I dunno I don't like things CHOKING me I guess. I don't think it's too tight, I think it fits and that's just how it is. I also know I need more time in it and I plan to as soon as the local group starts going out.

BUT I have a 1.2mile swim coming up mid June and the water temps are likely to still be pretty cold by then so I'm thinking I really should get a full sleeve suit. My suit is an xterra - it does the job. I just came across a 70% off coupon which makes their full sleeve suits REALLY attractive price wise.

There are no real tri shops close to me. I can travel 2 hours to go outside Boston or 1.5 hours to go outside NYC to try on suits. Do I make the drive to be able to try some 2xu and/or Blueseventy or just get the xterra - for the money I believe it's a perfectly adequate suit.

Also, I don't really equate the water temps with feel yet - so what temps would you say I could start hitting the open water without needing booties and neoprene cap? Let's see....my body temp is usually 97ish........ can I tolerate 65?
2014-05-06 9:09 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
I got the full sleeve Xterra, mainly based on the price and recommendations. If you order it early enough and it doesn't fit you may be able to return it and get a different size. I think they have a pretty good exchange policy in that regard. Because of their price I'd say 75% of the people around here wear an Xterra suit, at least that's what I see at races. Which shop outside Boston are you looking at? Fastsplits?
2014-05-06 10:57 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by jonD81

I got the full sleeve Xterra, mainly based on the price and recommendations. If you order it early enough and it doesn't fit you may be able to return it and get a different size. I think they have a pretty good exchange policy in that regard. Because of their price I'd say 75% of the people around here wear an Xterra suit, at least that's what I see at races. Which shop outside Boston are you looking at? Fastsplits?

YES - Fastsplits!

2014-05-06 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
One of those "wicked" North-East things to say, but my cousin (and subsequently a lot of my friends) went to school with the kid who started that company. I think he still lives in southern MA and does some road races. My friend would constantly show up at 5k/10ks and think he had a good shot in his AG, then Fastsplits would show up and dominate. I'd head up there anyway, there's always stuff to buy there.
2014-05-06 7:22 PM

User image

Master
Jon: Awesome job! It's really great when things go as well as you hope and plan.

I'd love to be able to wear a wetsuit for a swim! I need to do a destination race for that.
2014-05-07 11:58 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Chris. Glad to hear that you are embracing the good advice you have been given. I know that you could go out and probably crank a very respectable 10k, but at what cost? You are making a smart move and it sounds like a fun way to spend a couple hours.

I just ran 8 miles on the beach. Turned out to be a lot hotter than I expected. It was fun to run along the ocean. Being from Michigan, I don't get to do that very often. Will hopefully swim later. Vacation is going very well. I could get used to this schedule.
2014-05-07 5:49 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Just in from my 2nd open water swim of the year...1200ish yards, and we took a group of first timers with us. I was definitely more comfortable in the water this week, felt stronger than last week, and now know I won't die on Sunday when I have to swim 1500 yards.

It's almost time to ditch the wetsuits, though. The water is warming up really quickly in our two main 'swimming holes.' The river is still cold, but I'll leave the water moccasins and alligators until later this summer.
2014-05-07 7:04 PM
in reply to: #4915043

User image

Randee...I have a sleeveless wetsuit and when the water is especially cold, I put a 1mm neoprene shirt on under my wetsuit. It doesn't restrict my giant shoulders like a full sleeve and keeps me warm enough. Just a thought...

2014-05-07 8:58 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey gang-sorry I've been absent. Really busy week of work and a big week of training has been keeping me running......biking....swimming and working. The rest of the week looks marginally better for work but equally intimidating in terms of workouts. 

Wetsuits-I have a ROKA sleeveless that is my favorite. Also have a 2 piece Desoto T1 full sleeve and an Xterra sleeveless that I bought when I first started. I think fit is much more important with a full sleeve suit. If a suit is too tight or not worn properly you can get some shoulder fatigue over a longer swim. Hard to beat the value in the Xterra suits.

Nancy-good job on the swim. The more OWS you do the more comfortable you will feel.

I know its only Wednesday but it seems like it should be Friday.....who's racing?

Jason-good work on the vacation.....sometimes they can be stressful...sounds like everyone is having a good time.

2014-05-08 6:00 AM

User image

New user
New Hampshire
First open water swim at 5:20 a.m. this morning. Brrr! Air temp 39 degrees water temp. 55 degrees. Only did about 800 yards in 18 minutes. Core body was fine in the wetsuit but my feet and especially my face were numb. Think of a major ice cream headache. Thankfully ever thing seems to go numb after 5 minutes or so. I have some crazy friends you have been in the lake for 2 weeks now.
I have a half marathon Saturday morning.
2014-05-08 6:31 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by glfprncs

Randee...I have a sleeveless wetsuit and when the water is especially cold, I put a 1mm neoprene shirt on under my wetsuit. It doesn't restrict my giant shoulders like a full sleeve and keeps me warm enough. Just a thought...

interesting idea - do you have a link to the one you have?
2014-05-08 7:04 AM
in reply to: GoldenSprocket

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Originally posted by GoldenSprocket

First open water swim at 5:20 a.m. this morning. Brrr! Air temp 39 degrees water temp. 55 degrees. Only did about 800 yards in 18 minutes. Core body was fine in the wetsuit but my feet and especially my face were numb. Think of a major ice cream headache. Thankfully ever thing seems to go numb after 5 minutes or so. I have some crazy friends you have been in the lake for 2 weeks now.
I have a half marathon Saturday morning.

Kevin - Where did you swim? I heard a few people in my Tri group went out the other morning somewhere around here (southern NH, northern MA) and the water was 62. I need to get in open water soon but not looking forward to absolutely frosty conditions.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 75

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.