BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 75

2014-05-08 8:34 AM
in reply to: GoldenSprocket

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED

Originally posted by GoldenSprocket First open water swim at 5:20 a.m. this morning. Brrr! Air temp 39 degrees water temp. 55 degrees. Only did about 800 yards in 18 minutes. Core body was fine in the wetsuit but my feet and especially my face were numb. Think of a major ice cream headache. Thankfully ever thing seems to go numb after 5 minutes or so. I have some crazy friends you have been in the lake for 2 weeks now. I have a half marathon Saturday morning.

NUTS! Props to you for doing it although I question your sanity.  

2014-05-08 9:32 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Below 60 I am too much of a wimp to get in the water. I might do it for a race but then again I might not.
2014-05-08 10:01 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Jon- We swim at Onway lake in Raymond. There is no public beach, but we go from the public boat ramp. There doesn't seem to be too many fishermen using the ramp so nobody seems to complain. We try to be courteous and leave them the bigger parking spots. The water temp. was from fishingnotes.com I didn't actually measure it, although I bet it's pretty accurate. Think Hampton Beach cold. Let me know if you want to go sometime. Right now there are only a few hardy souls but as the season goes on we usually have between 5 and 9 people. All different abilities ranging from a guy who swam at Ohio State all the way down to the Turtle. (Me)

Randy- No need to question my sanity; I have definitely lost my mind. Just ask my wife. Below 60 isn't much fun it feels more like just trying to survive.
2014-05-08 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
That's about 30 minutes from me. Stinks it's in the wrong direction from my work, but in the summer I'd love to get some time in there with you guys. Looks like they're doing massive renovations at my YMCA starting in June and the pool is going to be temporarily closed so I'm going to need to find me a new swimmin' hole.
2014-05-08 4:21 PM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Just one of those "score one" for the triathletes today. I live in Aiken County, SC, and Aiken County is where most of the Augusta 70.3 bike course is. We swim at a local lake called Langley Pond as well as at Strom Thurmond Reservoir.

Anyhow...yesterday we arrived at Langley Pond and see a sign that says, "Please be respectful of everyone utilizing the water outside of the safe swimming zone by the beach which includes: Boaters, Rowers, Fisherman, and Triathlon Swimmers." Yay!
2014-05-08 5:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Picked up the new bike today!

Edited by Catwoman 2014-05-08 5:16 PM

(bike_1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
bike_1.JPG (47KB - 19 downloads)

2014-05-08 7:15 PM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by Catwoman

Picked up the new bike today!

Worth the wait?
2014-05-08 7:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Hey everyone, I know I dropped off the earth for a couple weeks, but they've been crazy! I mentioned last week that I was headed to TN to interview for a job, that was last Thursday, but the trip was Wed-Sunday. The interview was exhaustive, 9-5 interviews with a sample teaching lesson thrown in, but the day went well. Well, today I heard back from the school and they offered me a position, which I immediately accepted. This means that I'll be moving at the beginning of next month, which I'm very excited back. It's a top notch school, and I'll be with my girlfriend-it isn't often in life that things work out perfectly, so I'm not taking this for granted! It's Cloud 9 for me today!

Training-wise, I've been more inconsistent than normal lately, but still solid. I missed a few days with the interview, but I've gotten quality workouts in. I have a Sprint this Saturday, which is a big deal bc this was my first triathlon ever a couple years ago. I'm looking forward to it!
2014-05-08 7:53 PM

User image

Master

Yes. It is hard to see from the pictures all of the cool paint details on the bike. I'm looking forward to taking it out on the road this weekend.

2014-05-08 8:12 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Jamie. Congratulations. It sounds like things have lined up perfectly. Doesn't hurt that you will be closer to Chattanooga as well
2014-05-08 8:12 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jamie-congrats on the new position. Leaving Greenville would have to be tough but glad everything has worked out.

Rene-sweet bike. How does it feel?

2014-05-08 8:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by slornow

Jamie-congrats on the new position. Leaving Greenville would have to be tough but glad everything has worked out.

Rene-sweet bike. How does it feel?

Yeah, Randy and Jason, leaving Greenville is going to be tough. It definitely wasn't my plan to leave, but that's how life is sometimes! It is going to be nice getting close to Chattanooga, but it'll be even nicer being close to someone who's doing the same race and looks much better than I do in her race gear
2014-05-08 8:18 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Congrats Jamie. What a great opportunity. Wish you all the best in your new adventure and it sounds like a pretty great setup.
2014-05-08 8:20 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I had another hot run today. Went out at 3 pm, so right in the heat of the day. I know it is your every day stuff for you Southerners, but for me it is darn hot!

This run was one where I felt terrible for the first couple miles. I wondered what the heck I was doing out there. Then, about mile three the switch flipped and the run became effortless. I had to hold back because all of a sudden my pace was creeping toward 6:50s without feeling hard. It is always fun when one of those elusive effortless runs happens. It makes it all worthwhile. Of course, I might pay the price for that effort tomorrow. Oh well it was worth it.
2014-05-09 5:48 AM

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Rene - Your bike looks awesome!!! That black on black paint scheme is one of my favorites. I am sure it will be as fast as it looks.

Jamie - Congrats on the job and impending move. Sounds like exciting times in your life right now and I bet you'll crush your race this weekend. It often happens that way when everything else is working well.

Good luck to anyone else racing this weekend. I'll be cheering on TOWKA at the River Bank Run and it will be the first easy running I have done since last week. I actually followed the instructions to not run at all this week! PT felt like we were seeing some progress yesterday so we'll see how it all looks running this weekend.

Have a great weekend everyone!
2014-05-09 6:02 AM
in reply to: 43YORook

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Jamie- Awesome news. Congrats! Must be very exciting.

Rene- Sexy bike! I just picked mine up too! Well new to me anyway. Now I need some serious mentoring. As in, how do you ride this damn thing? Is it bad that I'm not telling my friends but rather am going to wait and spring it on them on race day? Provided I can hold out that long. I was shopping for pedals and the next thing I knew.. Bam! This happens.

(001.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
001.JPG (2062KB - 27 downloads)

2014-05-09 7:12 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Oh man all the new bike talk is killing me. I want one so bad! I spent about an hour the other day at a shop just shooting the breeze with a guy about a new bike and getting fitted for it and such. Super nice guy, said I should bring my road bike in and he'll fit me up on that for free, kind of consider it an investment in getting me into a new bike at some point. I honestly think he almost saw it as a project since I'm so tall (6'6") he said right off the bat that we'd be doing a lot of tweaking to get things perfect. This store may be a bit more expensive but they're legit fitters. I'll be 33 this year and in my 2nd full year of racing and I said if I'm still doing all this at 35 then I'd pull the trigger on a bike but boy is it getting hard to wait.
2014-05-09 7:57 AM

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Holy smokes!!! And Kevin jumps in the fray too with a sweet new ride!!! You guys are killing me.

...must resist the temptation to go to the bike store at lunch today....
2014-05-09 8:19 AM
in reply to: 43YORook

User image

Master
South Alabama

Kevin-very nice Felt!. Get that bad boy out and ride it!

Finally a busy week coming to an end. Both my kids are home from college. We will only all be together at the house for about 3 weeks as my daughter will be working at a camp in North Alabama for about 6 weeks beginning the end of May. Son will be home until late June when he travels to England to study at Oxford for a month. Fortunately, I was able to get him a job at the LBS working part time doing whatever they need so that will keep us from having to provide him spending money while he is home.

Still alot to do training wise this week with 2 more bike workouts, 2 swims and 2 runs left to be done by Sunday night. Another sprint next weekend and then our big local sprint May 31.

Good luck to anyone racing. Almost to the weekend!  

2014-05-09 8:35 AM

User image

Master
Whoa... Guys, I cannot afford a bike right now, k? Don't be tempting me with your sweet, new rides! It is quite lovely though, Kevin. I hope you develop a wonderful relationship.
2014-05-09 10:13 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
YAY FOR NEW BIKES!!!!

Congrats Rene and Kevin!!

And Jamie congrats on the new job........ will there be an engagement coming soon too? JUST ASKIN!

I'm SOOOOOO glad it's Friday. This is the first week I really cranked up the training volume in a while and I'm BEAT.

have a good weekend all!!

2014-05-09 8:05 PM

User image

Master

Kevin- love your new bike! Black must be the hot bike color!

Jamie- congratulations on the new job, move and hot tri girlfriend!

Jon- I would recommend getting a fitting and Retul measurements for a bike. Then you can take your time and start shopping around for the right frame. Slowtwitch has a lot of great resources on bike fit (stack and reach) and frame choices. Once you know your size and the frame options for your body then you can see what is out there. My new frame is a custom build.

Chris- have a great time this weekend at the race.

My poor new bike is taking her first ride in the dungeon on the trainer tomorrow. It's supposed to rain and I don't want to leave me bike out on the road unaccompanied. Also, if I drop dead during the workout then my husband will be able to locate my body next to the trainer or a mile away from the house (run) instead of having to look for me.   

Edited by Catwoman 2014-05-09 8:11 PM
2014-05-10 4:19 AM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Kevin...the first thing you do with that bike is swap out the saddle. EVERYONE I've known that has that Felt (myself included) agrees that the saddle is nothing but a mere torture device. Seriously...if you're having soft tissue damage in that one, know that it's not you!!

Jamie...so excited for you. Nothing except new possibilities opening up.

Rene...that bike is gorgeous.

I'm just finishing up breakfast and packing the car for my first race of the season (Oly distance). Not feeling very fresh today...school from 6:45-3:00 yesterday...mad dash to the lake to pick up packet, home with enough time to scarf down a sandwich, in the shower, back to school to chaperone the 8th grade dance until 9:00, clean up afterwards, back in the car by 9:35, home at 10:05, and in bed at 10:30. At midnight, the Amber Alerts started coming to my cell phone (which I use as a backup alarm).

Here's hoping I wake up within the next few hours.
2014-05-10 5:21 AM

User image

Master
Oh my God, I suck at posting from my phone!!! Please imagine I posted sweet talk about new bikes and Jamie's bright future. Geeze Louise!

Thursday and Friday training for me were shelved because of school/homework issues with one of my babies! How am I supposed to be a world class athlete if my kids don't follow the plan??!! Did get a 6 mile run in with my running buddies this morning and we're going on a Mother's Day MTB ride in the morning.

Have a great weekend, guys!

Edited by Blanda 2014-05-10 5:26 AM
2014-05-10 7:26 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good luck Nancy!

Looks like another rainy day here. I have a tough bike workout that will be done in the garage and a swim later.

Today is the Gulf Coast HIM in Panama City. Alot of people use it as a way to scout out the IMFL course as it is essentially half of the IMFL course. I have several team mates and friends doing it and it looks like they will have a rainy day. Pictures posted of the Gulf yesterday showed a stirred up Gulf. Hope it has calmed down overnight for those racing. Otherwise it will be a tough swim and a rough way to start the day.

Have a great Saturday everyone!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 75

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.