BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2013-12-18 10:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Subject: Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY
GROUP FOCUS: All Triathlon (Tri Junkies)

NAME: Triguy1043 / Jeremy

STORY: As said my name is Jeremy and I am 38 years old. I am a Physical Education Teacher and I live in Central New York. I did my first triathlon when I was 16 years old after watching the Iron War on TV, and since then I have been hooked!!
I have raced every distance up to Ironman and I am currently coaching athletes and I am the Assistant Race Director of four triathlons in Central New York.

FAMILY STATUS: Very happily married for 11 years and my wife is a triathlete as well. I also have 3 wonderful children Girl 6yo, Boys 4 yo, & 6months

CURRENT TRAINING: In 2012 I had a complete season with my A race being Ironman Lake Placid. The season was very successful. But 2013 has been a bit different with buying a new home and having a new baby I decided to step back in 2013. But all is set now for a sucessful 2014 season.
Currently my training has been to get my run fitness back since Sept. 2013 I have been run focused running 6 days a week. Come Jan. 1,2014, I get to get back on the bike and I am excited.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: As said 2013 I did not race
2012 races were
Hamilton Colleg Super Sprint - 2nd overall
Holland Pantent Sprint Tri - 1st Overall
Ironman Lake Placid - 11:25 (254 overall)
Deruyter Sprint Tri - 1st Overall
Marine Corps Marathon - 3:31

I have also raced
Ironman Florida (2000 - 10:43)
Superfrong 1/2 IM
and several other races

2014 RACES: For 2014 I will be doing
Some sprint racing but my focus will be 70.3 and I am still trying to figure out what race I will do (possibbly Big George 1/2 IM in Lake George, NY)

WEIGHTLOSS: When I started trainig again in Sept 2013. I weighed 220 pounds. In July of 2012 for IM Lake Placid I was 172 pounds. So yes weight loss is in the works. I have currently lost 25 pounds since Sept. and hope to be at 180 or below by June 1, 2014.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I believe I will be a good mentor because I am motivated!! I love to see others achieve thier goals. I am also able to look at things from many different aspects as well (athlete, coach, race director, husband, and friend). I love this sport and believe that I have alot to learn, but also believe that I have alot to share with others who want to be successful as well.

Edited by triguy1043 2013-12-25 10:27 PM

2013-12-21 9:26 PM
in reply to: triguy1043

Subject: RE: Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - OPEN
I am interested. Please let me know what else i need to do to be part of the mentoring group
2013-12-21 9:36 PM
in reply to: ladawnm23

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
You are in if you want to just fill out following

NAME / username:

STORY:

FAMILY STATUS:

CURRENT TRAINING:

2013 RACES/ results

2014 plans and RACES:

WEIGHTLOSS:

Edited by triguy1043 2013-12-18 11:53 AM

-----
You have the rest of your life to remember, but what you have to remember depends on what you do today!! Go out and have a Day!!
REPORT SPAMEDITREPLYQUOTE
2013-12-21 9:53 PM
in reply to: 0

NAME / username: LaDawn/ ladawnm23

STORY:
After a few health issues popped up I decided I needed to make some changes in my life and started challenging myself. It first started with 5ks, then mud run, this year I decided to sign up for my first sprint triathlon and ended up signing up for 3 more before even competing in my first. After I finished the triathlons I decided a Half Marathon is in my future and signed up for my first 10k in Sept, 10 miler in Oct and then my first half marathon Nov. I had the idea to do a half ironman but never thought i could do the run part so after I finished the half marathon I signed up for the Eagleman 70.3 in June..then the NJ half ironman showed up and I signed up for that one is Sept.

FAMILY STATUS:
In a relationship no kids

CURRENT TRAINING:
Running, biking swiming and cross training

2013 RACES/ results
Bunch of 5k's, Warrior Dash, Foam Fest, Mud run, Jersey Girl, Iron Girl, One more Tri, The Great Six Flags Tri, NYC 10K, Trenton Half Marathon

2014 plans and RACES:
Bunch of 5ks, Rutgers Half Marathon, Eagleman 70.3 and Princeton 70.3 as of now

WEIGHTLOSS:
Have lot weight since becoming more active, would like to tone up more

Edited by ladawnm23 2013-12-21 9:55 PM
2013-12-22 7:14 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Hi Jeremy

I would like to join your group.  Bio to follow later today!!!

2013-12-22 7:45 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Sounds great welcome aboard!!!

2013-12-22 9:23 AM

Extreme Veteran
Jeremy -

I'd like to join - I'll send a bio later today during the Jets game.

Bruce.
2013-12-22 11:29 AM

User image

New Brunswick
Hi guys. Would like to join the group if you have room for one more...

Name: Jon

Home: Fredericton, New Brunswick. Canada

Story: 37 year old father of two. Civil engineer who travels a lot for work - so training is difficult to squeeze in sometimes.

This will be my second season. Did my first sprint triathlon earlier this year and had a blast. Looking to move up to Olympic distance in 2014.

Training has taken a back seat the last couple of months, so just looking for a little motivation and training tips to get back in the routine.

Cheers,

Jon
2013-12-22 1:20 PM
in reply to: bwingate

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Welcome aboard Bruce just write us a short bio.
2013-12-22 1:21 PM
in reply to: Jondpond

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Welcome Jon
Glad to see you are ready to get back after IT again!!
2013-12-22 1:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Welcome Ladawn and Suzy

Looks like we are building a great team!!

2013-12-22 1:26 PM
in reply to: #4915057

Hi all-- I'd love to join a group this year. Sounds like fun!

NAME / username: Jeff / runningmon

STORY: I'm a 32 y.o. Educational Technologist living in Seattle. I just finished my first season of tri, and was happy with the results, but I'm looking forward to stepping it up a notch in 2014. I have long-term goals, like qualify for AG nationals in Oly distance, but for this year I am focused on challenging for age group podiums in some local races. To do this, I must conquer the sin-against-nature which is my bike performance.

FAMILY STATUS: A very supportive wife who is also a fitness pro and marathoner (slight liability when it comes to scheduling training times), and a 15 week old son who also has some *ahem* influence on my training schedule.

CURRENT TRAINING: for the last 15 weeks, zilch. See Family Status above. Winter break started yesterday, so I'm getting back on the wagon over the next two weeks. I'm starting the Jorge Winter Cycling plan on Monday. In addition, I'm biking to work most days, although at 4 mi each way, it doesn't count much for training. I figure all the bike experience that I can get will help at this point. Last season I averaged 10-15 hours of training a week. Right now I'm working on some strength and flexibility work as well as the SBR, but again this week I'll bed shifting the priority back to the SBR while trying to keep a little of the weight work as well.

2013 RACES/ results: South Beach Nautica Oly, 2:40
Whisky Dick Oly, 2:45
Jakes Off Road (Jamaica), 9th overall, 2nd AG

Kingston (JA) Half marathon, 1:35
Seattle Half Marathon, 1:39

2014 plans and RACES: working on the calendar this week. As many local races as possible for experience and benchmarking. ChelanMan Oly will be an A, probably Lake Stevens as well. First race looks like a duathlon in April. If I can get a road bike by then, hopefully join the local spring weekly crit series as a way to get speed and handling work,

WEIGHTLOSS: meh. Had some, don't need much more. Frankly, probably could stand to add some beef to a slight frame in order to prevent injury with increased volume this year.
2013-12-22 1:28 PM
in reply to: runningmon

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Welcome Jeff,

I like your goal of AG Nationals!!
2013-12-22 2:58 PM

NAME / username: Mike

STORY: 27 years old. Moved to CA for grad school several years ago and became more active over there. Moved back to MD a year ago, was at a bbq and heard half a dozen people talk about triathlons and we chatted for a while and it was on my mind.. time to make it a reality. Going to be an awesome road

FAMILY STATUS: Single

CURRENT TRAINING: Off for a few weeks due to surgery, but going to get back into it. I can do ~8 or so hours a week.

2013 RACES/ results: None

2014 plans and RACES: Nation's Tri, North East Tri, General Smallwood Tri

WEIGHTLOSS: Drop 10lb but not really important or the main goal.

Cheers guys
2013-12-22 5:33 PM

User image

Champion

NAME: SSMinnow/Suzy

STORY:   Watched IM WI in my hometown of Madison WI in 2002. Decided I wanted to do it one day. Only problem is I rarely ran, had a hybrid bike and was deathly afraid of H20, having nearly drowned at 27 years of age. So I started running and did several marathons because it was the easiest thing to do for me.   After BQing three times I decided I needed to get serious about biking and getting over my fear of water if I was ever to do an IM. Worked my way up to a super sprint a couple years later and was hooked.   Since that time, I’ve done IM WI four times-2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013. I’m a decent runner and biker, but have been slow to catch on to swimming and still have some fear of OW.   Been doing triathlons since 2008.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for almost 25 years, no kids, one 3 year old Cockapoo-Cooper

CURRENT TRAINING: I’ve decided to make a pretty big shift for 2014. My goal is to finally improve my swimming and improve my speed on both the bike and the run so that I can get that 12:XX for IM in 2015. Rather than do the IM distance, I am focusing on short course-Olympics only. Current training is HIITS on both bike and the run while I continue my quest to be a swimmer. I’m taking periodic lessons with someone new and starting a master’s class in January.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:   I had several setbacks in 2013. I fractured four ribs falling off my bike in a windstorm in early May and then had some unexpected surgery in August. I did the Oakland marathon in March, 3:37 (2’ PR vs 2007). My only serious triathlon was IM WI. I was expecting to finally get my 12:XX, but after a bad swim (1:49 a personal worst), it was not to be and I finished in 13:34, 15 AG-50-54.   Since IM, I’ve done a lot of Fall running which I love. Won a few VERY SMALL 10ks which is always good for the soul. J

2014 RACES:   Still in the planning stages. I would like to qualify for Nationals in Milwaukee since it is so close to Madison.  

1. Boston in April.
  2. Mid May Oly—either Pokagon or Gateway
  3. June 7—Elkhart Lake

We’re traveling to Alaska for two weeks in July so the rest of the calendar is in a bit of flux.

WEIGHTLOSS:   I’m only 4’10” so I really need to watch my weight, but as of now I’m about where I need to be.

2013-12-22 6:24 PM

Extreme Veteran

NAME / username: Bruce

STORY: I graduated law school in 2007 and quit smoking on the last day of school (law is my second career - I was a computer programmer for twenty years before that). I started running again and then picked up triathlons the next spring. About a year and a half ago, I was trying to get my own practice going so I had long hours and little training and then I just really started hating my gym. It is the only local gym with a pool and the locker room was disgusting. So my first and last experience of each visit with the gym was the cruddy locker room. With family being sick, work being tough and hating the gym, I just kind of dropped out of triathlons.

The work situation changed - I joined a small firm with a couple of good guys running it - and I joined a different gym (no pool). I have to look at joining a gym near work that has a pool but is a little pricy.

FAMILY STATUS: Married - no kids, just nieces and nephews that I torture.

CURRENT TRAINING: Mostly treadmill running. Have to get on the trainer

2013 RACES/ results: Missed most of my races due to personal issues getting in the way. Just missed running the Atlantic City Half under two hours;

2014 plans and RACES:
Mini mighty man pool triathlon
Long Island Marathon (my spring A race)
Kings Park 15K
Cow Harbor 10K
Entemanns Half Marathon
Atlantic City Half Marathon (my fall A race)
N.J. Gran Fondo
Gold Coast Metric Century

I will probably pick a couple of bike rides to add to the two already there and if I join the gym with a pool I will put in a couple of sprints too.

WEIGHTLOSS: Finally getting on track with this. I have been following the guidelines in "Vegan Before 6" by Mark Bittman. Although I think vegans are a little goofy (sorry if that cuts close to the bone to any of you), I generally like Bittman's recipes and I was trying to find something that got me away from processed food and toward eating my food closer to its natural form. Plus - I get to eat whatever I want for dinner, including meat. It is kind of working - I'm down 10 to 15 pounds in 6 months and down 2 notches on my belt. And my blood pressure is way down too.

Look forward to working with you guys & gals.

Bruce.

2013-12-22 7:50 PM

Arlington, Virginia
Hello all!

NAME / username: Colin - "cbdobby"

STORY: I am a 25-year old overall fitness enthusiast. I am a Wellness Coordinator in Washington, D.C. and have also been a certified personal trainer for the past seven years. I am looking to complete my first triathlon in 2014 and I am in the beginning stages of researching how to train, need to buy a road bike, etc.

FAMILY STATUS: Have a girlfriend, who was a collegiate swimmer, and will be helping me train in the water.

CURRENT TRAINING: I do a lot of weight training, running, and yoga, but need to begin stepping up my swimming and biking.

2013 RACES/ results:
Several 5K's
2 Tough Mudders

2014 plans and RACES:
A sprint tri in May/June
Nation's triathlon in September

WEIGHT LOSS:
Not looking to lose weight, but I create my own weight training regiments and would be happy to help others create exercise programming.
2013-12-22 8:10 PM

User image

Hi everyone. I'd love to join a group also.

NAME / username: KatiaRun/Katia

STORY: I'm a 39 years old. I I'm new on BT and to triathlons. Had my first season this summer (2 olys and 2 halfs ). I am good with running, OK-ish with biking and horrible with swimming. I live in Fairfax, VA

FAMILY STATUS: A supportive husband who is against any physical activities. His hobbies are photos and videos, so I have a lots of pictures and videos of me racing. Some of his videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3Hv1v9gE_w http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wJdrbmwoBc and current video of me swimming http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wJdrbmwoBc We have 16 yo daughter.

CURRENT TRAINING: focus on swimming! Swim 6-7 times a week. Running and biking are in maintenance mode.

2013 RACES/ results: Boston 3:30
Columbia Tri (first one) 3:20 (did I tell you I cant swim?)
Eagleman 70.3 6:08
Williamsburg Oly 3:09 (still couldn't swim)
Savageman 70 - kicked my butt, but I finished (still couldn't swim so)
Marine Corps Marathon 3:29

2014 RACES:
Boston
Columbia Tri
Eagleman 70.3
NJ state try (oly)
IM Choo-Choo
Still thinking about Marine Corps.

WEIGHTLOSS: no problems here. 5'9 and 130. Good health, no injuries (knocking on wood)

Edited by KatiaRun 2013-12-23 7:14 AM
2013-12-22 10:27 PM
in reply to: KatiaRun

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Welcome to all

First question is???

Do you train with HR or Power and what equipment to you use to monitor it?
What Tri gift did you ask Santa for?

I am a HR. Guy. I use a Garmin 910xt

I love it. But I have never tried power so I am a bit bias

I want a set of Flo 60/90 wheels but can't get in to buy them come on Santa
2013-12-23 1:15 AM

HR on the 910. Power will come someday.

Asked for a Swim Speed Workouts and a wetsuit. Now that I'm back in the Northwest, having one will be a necessity.
2013-12-23 6:26 AM

User image

Champion

I use both a Garmin HRM and a power meter.

I have two bikes, so have a Powertap on my SEVEN road bike and a Quarq on my Parlee Tri Bike.  While I'm not a slave to it, I do think riding with power has helped me, especially on the hilly IM course here in Madison.  

I didn't ask for any tri gifts this year.

Edited by SSMinnow 2013-12-23 6:27 AM

2013-12-23 6:58 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

I use Garmin 910, HRM, cadence sensor, of course.

I asked Santa about new wheels (Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLS) for my new tri bike, new saddle (sitero pro), Garmin 810 and new wetsuit (huub aura). I think Santa will bring just a saddle, but it never hurts to ask ))
2013-12-23 9:19 AM

User image

, Lisboa
Hi, I would love to join. I'm doing my first tri in 2014, but I'm already training for it.

NAME / username: Luís / lsousa

STORY: I'm a 28 years old web developer from Portugal. My first race (10k) was 4 years ago, my weight was about 75kg/165lbs at the time, and somehow I though 10k was not that hard... my 1h20min time said otherwise Fast forwarding 4 years and I've lost 15kg/30lbs, and my current PR (43m58) was on the same 10k race last September. I've always been fascinated by triathlon and I'm looking to take the plunge next year. One of my lifetime goals is to finish an IM.

FAMILY STATUS: Single

CURRENT TRAINING: Since August that I'm running around 25mpw, In September started having swimming lessons 2 times per week, but I usually do another swimming session on my own just to do some slow and long sessions (I'm currently doing 1500m, in September I barely could do 50 without stopping). I've always loved cycling, but until now I could only ride on the weekends, but I've recently bough a turbo trainer and starting next week I'm going to do some indoor training, I'm aiming for at least 2 indoor sessions + 1 long ride on the weekend.

2013 RACES/ results
I've done a bunch of 10K, my current PR was set on September with a 43:58 time.
- Lisbon Half Marathon (February): 1h48m
- Lisbon Rock'n'Roll Half Marathon (October): 1h38m

2014 plans and RACES:
- March: Lisbon Half Marathon
- April: Estoril Triathlon (sprint)
- May: Lisbon Triathlon (unsure between HIM or Olympic distance, but I'm training for HIM)
I'm also likely to be doing a bunch of 10k since I love that distance, and I'm waiting for the full 2014 triathlon schedule so I can pick some more races.

WEIGHTLOSS: I like where I am at the moment with 60kg/132lbs, I'm 1.68cm/5'6".

2013-12-23 9:44 AM
in reply to: lsousa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Welcome Luis

You will bring us some international flavor!!
2013-12-23 9:55 AM

User image

, Lisboa
Thank you for letting me in
Regarding your previous post about Santa's gifts, I've just unwrapped mine from myself last Saturday, a Garmin 310XT. Today I'll probably hit the trainer and give a try on trainerroad, I've also bough a speed/cadence sensor mainly for pairing it with TR and use their virtual power feature.

By the way, since English is not my main language I might make a few mistakes, feel free to correct me

Edited by lsousa 2013-12-23 9:56 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.