BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2014-02-24 3:37 PM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Subject: RE: Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN)
I had 4 hours on the trainer planned for Saturday but go bored out of my mind after 2.5 Its been really frustrating not having the ability to ride outside due to the arctic vortex we've been living in. We got a break on Sunday and I was able to run just shy of 8 miles with my training group outdoors. Capped that off with 4 more miles on the treadmill in the late afternoon which made me feel less guilty about the steak & wine dinner :-)

2014-02-25 12:12 AM
in reply to: stevepiv

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Yikes...I have been soooooooo MIA with this thread lately.  This is one of my busiest 2 weeks at work and then I raced the Birkie 50k ski marathon this past Saturday.  On Sunday I had to travel home to catch a plane to a meeting in Nashville but my car broke down 100 miles from home.  Obviously I missed my plane and had to reschedule for this morning and now I'm typing in a hotel room in Nahsville trying to put together the finishing touches on a presenation. 

As for the race on Saturday it was some of the toughest conditions ever for this race.  We got 12+ inches of snow on Thurs/Fri and then the temps plummeted.  We were hovering around zero on race morning with high winds.  The winning time was about 20 minutes slower than last year (those are professional ski racers from Europe usually).  I managed to place about 200 places better this year but my time was 30+ minute slower.   I will be sure to be here mostly on a daily basis from here on out to answer questions, etc.

2014-02-25 6:26 AM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Greenville, South Carolina
Originally posted by StevenC

Let's try to kick start this thread a bit. How was everyone's training this weekend? For me, I did one of my longest rides in a long time on Sat...85 Miles with over 5000 feet of climbing. Then a nice 5 mile run yesterday, 1 mile easy jog, 5K time trial, 1 mile cool down.

I've been swimming 3x per week and running more or less following a marathon plan for my race March 16 and biking when I can fit it in. This weekend i just felt soooo tired. I had a 4100 swim planned for Sat and only got through about 2800 (partly because I am so much slower than the workout plan I use expects and I just couldn't make myself swim for that long). My 20 mile run Sunday basically went OK, but I was so tired Monday that I couldn't think - so I decided an extra rest day was in order. Back to running and swimming today...
2014-02-25 8:06 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user

Originally posted by AntwonathonI tried a 5 minute FTP test Thursday and failed in a miserable fashion. I had no idea what power to shoot for and I picked one that ended up being way too high. After a 1:45 I said uncle and spun easy for a 1:30 and then stopped feeling sorry for myself and pushed hard for the last 1:15. I don't want to think about the 20 minute test. My endurance definitely needs some work. I've been using a GPS and HR monitor on my runs. HR is normally in the high 150s when I run at my "natural speed" - the speed that I just naturally run without thinking about it. I need to figure out my maximum HR so that the HR monitor is a little more useful to me, but I think I tend to run too fast. Have a great weekend everyone! Keep up the hard work!

Power is definitely a pricey deal, especially if you don't already own the more important "luxuries" such as a nice TT bike/set of wheels. When I first started running with a HRM, it was definitely a shock to see my numbers in the highs constantly. I wasn't out of shape, but the hilly trails that I ran would usually ramp me up to the 180/190s. Hills are what I used to use for max HR testing, but my employer offers free monthly metabolic/VO2 max testing, so I just use that. Only downside to that is that their protocol is to cut you off at 200, but they're the professionals and the data is far more useful anyways.

Edited by ukentho 2014-02-25 8:07 AM
2014-02-25 8:20 AM
in reply to: hotalinge

User image

New user

Originally posted by hotalinge
Originally posted by StevenC Let's try to kick start this thread a bit. How was everyone's training this weekend? For me, I did one of my longest rides in a long time on Sat...85 Miles with over 5000 feet of climbing. Then a nice 5 mile run yesterday, 1 mile easy jog, 5K time trial, 1 mile cool down.
I've been swimming 3x per week and running more or less following a marathon plan for my race March 16 and biking when I can fit it in. This weekend i just felt soooo tired. I had a 4100 swim planned for Sat and only got through about 2800 (partly because I am so much slower than the workout plan I use expects and I just couldn't make myself swim for that long). My 20 mile run Sunday basically went OK, but I was so tired Monday that I couldn't think - so I decided an extra rest day was in order. Back to running and swimming today...

Your Marathon is just a week before mine. Hope it'll go well for the both of us! What's your goal for this Marathon?

Originally posted by StevenC Let's try to kick start this thread a bit. How was everyone's training this weekend? For me, I did one of my longest rides in a long time on Sat...85 Miles with over 5000 feet of climbing. Then a nice 5 mile run yesterday, 1 mile easy jog, 5K time trial, 1 mile cool down.

I tried to play a little bit of catch up from the week, but it wasn't exactly a lot. I worked on my swim on friday, put a few miles on the trainer on saturday, and finished out with an hour on sunday. Yesterday, I laid low again with swimming, but today I'm definitely adding on a good hour on the trainer, and possibly a short run onto the swim I did during lunch.

PS:You're giving me a strong urge to visit some mountains this weekend

2014-02-25 12:02 PM
in reply to: ukentho

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I had a pretty bad training week this week due to work. Had to work 3-14hr days in a row so I missed three straight days of training Traveled to visit family over the weekend but was able to salvage a 2hr spin class and some core work on saturday morning and an hour run Sunday before coming home. This is another bad work week with my schedule changing a bit but starting this weekend it should hopefully be clear schedule from here until race day.

2014-02-25 1:22 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by ukentho

Originally posted by AntwonathonI tried a 5 minute FTP test Thursday and failed in a miserable fashion. I had no idea what power to shoot for and I picked one that ended up being way too high. After a 1:45 I said uncle and spun easy for a 1:30 and then stopped feeling sorry for myself and pushed hard for the last 1:15. I don't want to think about the 20 minute test. My endurance definitely needs some work. I've been using a GPS and HR monitor on my runs. HR is normally in the high 150s when I run at my "natural speed" - the speed that I just naturally run without thinking about it. I need to figure out my maximum HR so that the HR monitor is a little more useful to me, but I think I tend to run too fast. Have a great weekend everyone! Keep up the hard work!

Power is definitely a pricey deal, especially if you don't already own the more important "luxuries" such as a nice TT bike/set of wheels. When I first started running with a HRM, it was definitely a shock to see my numbers in the highs constantly. I wasn't out of shape, but the hilly trails that I ran would usually ramp me up to the 180/190s. Hills are what I used to use for max HR testing, but my employer offers free monthly metabolic/VO2 max testing, so I just use that. Only downside to that is that their protocol is to cut you off at 200, but they're the professionals and the data is far more useful anyways.

I have been running by heart rate for 3 years now using the Maffetone method. Its pretty simple stuff and I have seen impressive increases in my speed over distance. I've seen no real improvement in speed over shorter distances (less than 5K) using this. Heart rate is a great way to monitor the physical response to running.
2014-02-25 7:12 PM

User image

Originally posted by hotalinge I've been swimming 3x per week and running more or less following a marathon plan for my race March 16 and biking when I can fit it in.

Your Marathon is just a week before mine. Hope it'll go well for the both of us! What's your goal for this Marathon?

Me too! My PR (from Paris) is 4:36… this one will be hillier, but I'm still hoping to at least match that time since I'm better trained, but we'll see! How about you? What's your goal?
2014-02-26 12:21 PM

User image

New user

Originally posted by hotalinge I've been swimming 3x per week and running more or less following a marathon plan for my race March 16 and biking when I can fit it in.

Me too! My PR (from Paris) is 4:36… this one will be hillier, but I'm still hoping to at least match that time since I'm better trained, but we'll see! How about you? What's your goal?

My PR is a 5:11 from several years ago and I'm just aiming to be below that and the 5 hour mark. I'll be trying a run/walk strategy this time and will definitely pay a lot more attention to my nutrition. What's your plan for nutrition and recovery (day on and week after?

2014-02-26 4:50 PM

User image

My PR is a 5:11 from several years ago and I'm just aiming to be below that and the 5 hour mark. I'll be trying a run/walk strategy this time and will definitely pay a lot more attention to my nutrition. What's your plan for nutrition and recovery (day on and week after?

Excellent question! Now that you mention it I'm pretty sure nutrition is the reason I crashed on my 20 mi run this weekend - I had exactly 3 energy chews the whole time. SO, my plan for the race: not that. I didn't do very well on nutrition with my first marathon either - I don't like gels so I've always used the Honey Stinger or Bolt chews for running, but that wasn't enough last time, so I need a new plan. Definitely a bar before the race… then maybe something every 5 miles or so. For recovery, I flew back to the US the day after Paris, so anything's better than that. Maybe a bath that night, no running for several days, lots of walking and maybe swimming...
2014-02-27 8:17 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Osymetric Chain Ring

Hey everyone -

Hope training is going well.

Has anyone had any experience with Osymetric chain rings? (See picture below) As you can see, they aren't round. My cycling coach has repeatedly suggested I begin using this chain ring. I know Chris Fromme won the Tour de France last year using them. I also know I haven't seen many people using them on group rides. Seems to me if 'they were all that' everyone would be using them.

That said, it appears there may be some fairly significant benefits to using them.

From the Osymetric website -

The OSYMETRIC ring is not an oval nor an ellipse – it is a twin cam shaped to win. This patented design reduces the gear and the effort needed to get through what is commonly called the “dead spot” in everyone's pedal stroke. Then it increases the usable gear during the power portion of the pedal stroke between the 1 and 5 o’clock positions of the crank so your body can take full advantage of its natural strength. This powerful tool can reduce lactic acid by 10% and increases power by 10% for anyone that uses them.

Just curious if anyone has used them or has any opinion of them; good, bad, or ugly.

Thanks!

(osymetric_black3850.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
osymetric_black3850.jpg (63KB - 8 downloads)

2014-02-28 1:18 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Osymetric Chain Ring

Originally posted by k9car363

Hey everyone -

Hope training is going well.

Has anyone had any experience with Osymetric chain rings? (See picture below) As you can see, they aren't round. My cycling coach has repeatedly suggested I begin using this chain ring. I know Chris Fromme won the Tour de France last year using them. I also know I haven't seen many people using them on group rides. Seems to me if 'they were all that' everyone would be using them.

That said, it appears there may be some fairly significant benefits to using them.

From the Osymetric website -

The OSYMETRIC ring is not an oval nor an ellipse – it is a twin cam shaped to win. This patented design reduces the gear and the effort needed to get through what is commonly called the “dead spot” in everyone's pedal stroke. Then it increases the usable gear during the power portion of the pedal stroke between the 1 and 5 o’clock positions of the crank so your body can take full advantage of its natural strength. This powerful tool can reduce lactic acid by 10% and increases power by 10% for anyone that uses them.

Just curious if anyone has used them or has any opinion of them; good, bad, or ugly.

Thanks!

Scott, I don't know anything about them so can't really comment.  Curious about their lactic acid and power increase claims - how was that determined and how reliable are the results.  Is your coach a dealer for these things?  Not casting aspersions but one never knows.

2014-02-28 2:25 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Antwonathon I tried a 5 minute FTP test Thursday and failed in a miserable fashion. I had no idea what power to shoot for and I picked one that ended up being way too high. After a 1:45 I said uncle and spun easy for a 1:30 and then stopped feeling sorry for myself and pushed hard for the last 1:15. I don't want to think about the 20 minute test. My endurance definitely needs some work. I've been using a GPS and HR monitor on my runs. HR is normally in the high 150s when I run at my "natural speed" - the speed that I just naturally run without thinking about it. I need to figure out my maximum HR so that the HR monitor is a little more useful to me, but I think I tend to run too fast. Have a great weekend everyone! Keep up the hard work!

Are you planning on using the 5' test as a valid test?  I would consider re-doing it and choose a starting point that will allow you to have a more even effort over the entire test.   I'm not familiar with the virtual power setup but doesn't it calibrate for the trainer you are using?  If so, you should be able to use your gearing to alter the effort during the test so you don't have an interruption like your first attempt.

Edited by Birkierunner 2014-02-28 3:31 PM
2014-02-28 2:28 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Osymetric Chain Ring

Originally posted by Birkierunner

Scott, I don't know anything about them so can't really comment.  Curious about their lactic acid and power increase claims - how was that determined and how reliable are the results.  Is your coach a dealer for these things?  Not casting aspersions but one never knows.

No, he has no financial interest at all in Osymetric.  That was one of the first things I asked as I like to know any 'hidden agenda.'  I have read a review that questions whether a PM is accurate when not using a round chain ring.  Maybe explains the 10% power increase.  Although, I have talked to two people that use Osymetric rings and they absolutely swear by them.  They both say they feel much fresher coming off the bike and they claim the biggest difference for them is not an improved bike split but a vastly improved run split.  I have the same post I put here on BT out on several other forums so looking forward to all the responses I will get.

2014-02-28 2:33 PM

User image

Pro

Excellent question! Now that you mention it I'm pretty sure nutrition is the reason I crashed on my 20 mi run this weekend - I had exactly 3 energy chews the whole time. SO, my plan for the race: not that. I didn't do very well on nutrition with my first marathon either - I don't like gels so I've always used the Honey Stinger or Bolt chews for running, but that wasn't enough last time, so I need a new plan. Definitely a bar before the race… then maybe something every 5 miles or so. For recovery, I flew back to the US the day after Paris, so anything's better than that. Maybe a bath that night, no running for several days, lots of walking and maybe swimming...

Be careful about eating a bar too close to the race start.  You want a breakfast 3-4 hours before the race and then some easily digestible carbs closer to race time but I would not eat a bar within 30 minutes of race start.  Check out the fueling guide link I posted a couple pages back for the sweat test guidelines and general fueling guide.

2014-02-28 2:56 PM

User image

Pro

I've been using my FR 305 for over four years, and I decided it was time to upgrade. Hopefully, my FR 910 XT will come in this week, so I can start fondling it! I believe in using metrics, and they most certainly helped me during my Marathon training and race back in 2010. I used to use Nike+, but switching to HR + GPS data was overwhelmingly exciting. As far as power goes, I can't afford "real" power, yet, so TrainerRoad will have to do for now. At my current level it just doesn't make sense, because I don't even own a dedicated TT bike yet. The Garmin Vector does look pretty awesome though. I'm still a beginner, so I have a couple questions that pertain particularily to the bike and run, because I'm absolutely new to cycling. I come from a running background, and I definitely need to hear some opinions from all of you between the combination of the three events, particularily training. 1.

I just figured out my FTP, so where do I go from there to make good use of my time on the ironclad? 2. How do you find your balance between the ironclad and running? (Intensity, length, frequency) If I don't make any sense, I'd like to blame it on the brick Jim keeps throwing at me.

Well, the answer to that would be very long and detailed and beyond the usual scope of the mentor groups.  The obvious first place to start is to check out the free training plans here on BT and choose the one geared toward your general goal race(s).  As far as more specific training on the bike during winter I would check out the winter training plan that has been in use here on BT for several winters (link here) which has both HR and power based plans.

Edited by Birkierunner 2014-02-28 2:57 PM

2014-02-28 3:29 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by stevepiv I had 4 hours on the trainer planned for Saturday but go bored out of my mind after 2.5 Its been really frustrating not having the ability to ride outside due to the arctic vortex we've been living in. We got a break on Sunday and I was able to run just shy of 8 miles with my training group outdoors. Capped that off with 4 more miles on the treadmill in the late afternoon which made me feel less guilty about the steak & wine dinner :-)

I know what you mean about how hard it is mentally to stay on the trainer.  In the lead-up to Ironman Arizona (late November) it was pretty cold outside here in northwest WI so I had some 5 and 6 hour rides that were not fun.  There was one long one that I had to quit 30 minutes early because I just couldn't keep the effort at a pace that was very meaningful.  I use movies and playing ironman course videos on the laptop to try to get through it.

2014-02-28 5:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
I'm shooting for 6 hours in the pain cave tomorrow. If I get through 4 I will be a happy camper. A business trip came in out of the blue today for Vegas next week. I'm staying an extra day and already reserved a bike tour guide to take me for a 100 ride on a new Trek TT through the dessert. What better way to get ready for Cabo. Score!
2014-03-02 2:59 PM
in reply to: #4915070

Hi, I hope it is not too late to join. My name is Helen. I have been in training mainly for running for the past five years. I have covered distances from 5km to marathon. I am now trying to train for the Ironman Bolton Triathlon in July 2014. I have a personal trainer, who has trained me for three years and continues to assist in my training now.

I am struggling to lose weight. I am also having to battle against the side effects of medication. This can be sedating and I can feel as if my whole body is heavy.

I have joined the local triathlon club, which has been great for helping with my front crawl and just started turbo training with them to sort out my cycling technique. Have you any advice for a complete novice to triathlon, but has set them self a hard target.
2014-03-02 11:58 PM
in reply to: hel6444

hey all. sorry I've been quiet for a while. My February was jammed with work and travel, so from a training perspective, it was an ok, but not a great month. My big project at work finished up last week, so i hope to get back on track this week. That said, I'm still training, but just had some inconsistency this past month.

It's still really cold here in NY. Really hope spring arrives soon...glad I have a treadmill and bike in my basement, but I need some fresh air!

hope everybody is doing well.

2014-03-03 8:47 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by stevepiv I'm shooting for 6 hours in the pain cave tomorrow. If I get through 4 I will be a happy camper. 

Tell us how it went?

2014-03-03 8:50 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by hel6444 Hi, I hope it is not too late to join. My name is Helen. I have been in training mainly for running for the past five years. I have covered distances from 5km to marathon. I am now trying to train for the Ironman Bolton Triathlon in July 2014. I have a personal trainer, who has trained me for three years and continues to assist in my training now. I am struggling to lose weight. I am also having to battle against the side effects of medication. This can be sedating and I can feel as if my whole body is heavy. I have joined the local triathlon club, which has been great for helping with my front crawl and just started turbo training with them to sort out my cycling technique. Have you any advice for a complete novice to triathlon, but has set them self a hard target.

Hi Helen, you're more than welcome to join us.  Its a great idea to join a local tri club.  Having veterans close by to ask questions is a nice resource.  Also, there tends to be a "fish" in every club that you can turn to for asking swim questions or have them look at your technique and offer suggestions.  I know it sounds like a broken record but the first place to start out is to check out the free training plans here on BT to get an idea of how to set up a basic training plan.

2014-03-03 2:11 PM

User image

New user

I logged over 350 minutes of training on average during the past three weeks, and I'm really starting to feel a difference. This weekend felt amazing. I really love interval-training  - I feel as if I can speed on forever

I've been working on my swim religiously as preached by a lot of you and I can definitely feel the difference there. I swam 200m twice today and I beat my old PR at ease by over 40s! Then I went on to time-trial the 750m and broke out a 16:51. The 910 has definitely been a blessing. With the data, I found my treshold pace for the swim and it seems to be at 2:18. Let's see what another three weeks will do, and perhaps I'll be able to reach my goal of hitting an average 1:50 by the end of the season!

Thanks for all the helpful advice so far! And a warm welcome and happy training to you Helen!!

The Lurker

2014-03-06 12:30 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by hel6444

Hi, I hope it is not too late to join. My name is Helen. I have been in training mainly for running for the past five years. I have covered distances from 5km to marathon. I am now trying to train for the Ironman Bolton Triathlon in July 2014. I have a personal trainer, who has trained me for three years and continues to assist in my training now.

I am struggling to lose weight. I am also having to battle against the side effects of medication. This can be sedating and I can feel as if my whole body is heavy.

I have joined the local triathlon club, which has been great for helping with my front crawl and just started turbo training with them to sort out my cycling technique. Have you any advice for a complete novice to triathlon, but has set them self a hard target.

Welcome to triathlon Helen! Like Jim said, joining a triathlon group a great way to get into triathlon. My advice is one that I have heard many people say to novice triathletes - keep things fun. It is easy to get bogged down trying to achieve our goals, but consistancy is probably the most important in our individual roads to success. Keeping things fun will help you look forward to training instead of adding it to the To-Do List. And that is my secret to staying consistent.
2014-03-06 12:40 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago, Illinois

Power is expensive. Even though they say that it is now affordable for the average athlete, I think I need a year or two to save up for a power tap or quarq. But by that time the Vector pedals might have competition and some improvements. The cool thing I've found with virtual power is if you have a trainer for about $50-$60 you can buy the speed/cadence sensor and the Ant+ plugin for the computer. Then just download Golden Cheetah for free or Trainer Road for ~$10/month and you can base your indoor workouts on power.

I logged over 350 minutes of training on average during the past three weeks, and I'm really starting to feel a difference. This weekend felt amazing. I really love interval-training - I feel as if I can speed on forever

I've been working on my swim religiously as preached by a lot of you and I can definitely feel the difference there. I swam 200m twice today and I beat my old PR at ease by over 40s! Then I went on to time-trial the 750m and broke out a 16:51. The 910 has definitely been a blessing. With the data, I found my treshold pace for the swim and it seems to be at 2:18. Let's see what another three weeks will do, and perhaps I'll be able to reach my goal of hitting an average 1:50 by the end of the season!

Thanks for all the helpful advice so far! And a warm welcome and happy training to you Helen!!

The Lurker

Keep up the hard work! I still need to figure out my pacing for swimming so it has been more short intervals for me. No 750m TTs for me. Not yet anyway.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 17

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18130 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75

Started by slornow
Views: 60155 Posts: 1862

2014-05-16 5:48 PM GoldenSprocket

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 26, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Highlights of Beginner Triathlete Members at the Ironman World Championships

date : October 7, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 1
A look at Beginner Triathlete members racing in Kona from qualifying to training to family.
date : March 27, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
It's a lot easier to be really fit and fast than really healthy and happy.

date : September 15, 2011
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.