BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2014-04-09 7:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: RE:Challenge update
Originally posted by lutzman

If I can just drop 10 lbs between now and Memorial Day, I might catch Judi. Of course, that would put me at about my high school weight, which is kind of scary. Right now, I put the chances of that happening at exactly zero.

Steve

I was a wopping 132 pounds of raging steel graduating High School. Don't think I will see that again. Is it true what they say, your high school weight should be your running weight?

Edited by JREDFLY 2014-04-09 7:27 PM

2014-04-10 6:09 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Originally posted by k9car363

Weight loss - 2.7 pounds - 27 points

No gain - 5 points

Workout 341 minutes - 11.4 points

Total - 43.4 points

Ran in the Sea World 5K/Fun Run this past weekend.  While it was timed, it was more of a fun run than a true 5K.  The course was through the park.  That was kind of cool to see Sea World with very few people, but it was kind of tight in some spots and a LOT of turns as the course looped back on itself time and time again - there was at least a dozen 180* turns and I think the longest straight was only a hundred yards or so.  I have no idea how much time that cost, but I suspect it was significant.  Anyway, I set a PR (which, given my time last year was not terribly hard to do) of 28:42.  For anyone interested, that took about 24 minutes off of my time last July.  YES, it absolutely pays to have a masochistic running coach!  My pace was almost where it needs to be, of course that was for a 5K.  I have the Half-Marathon in just under a month, which will be a better indicator of my marathon pace.  I have to say, it is kind of nice to see all the hard work beginning to pay off!  Not sure I am a runner yet, but at least now I have hope that maybe I will be some day.

Well done, Scott. That's gotta be a shot in the arm (leg?) for your confidence on the run! And you still have lots of room for improvement especially as the weight continues to come off.

FWIW, half marathons took me awhile before I understood how to run them to maximize my own performance (which isn't saying much other than I improved significantly with experience), so don't bet the whole wad on your first one. You'll learn alot about how you'll need to run future races. I found that psychologically the mid point of the race was somewhere around mile 8 and that the key for me was getting to mile 8 (or so) as relaxed as possible and then the fun began :-) Like Steve said, don't go out like a maniac at the beginning. For me, it wasn't so much about negative splitting (time based pacing), but more about effort. I've never been able to negative split effectively. If I go out slow enough to do that, my overall time was not as good. However focusing on easy effort early on is important.

Anyone racing this weekend? I'm still mulling signing up for a sprint in two weeks. Will likely be a "week of" decision, but I'm kind of leaning toward doing it now. After looking at my schedule for spring and summer, I have bad sense of timing when it comes to business trips. First local (tri) race I'll be able to do is in August! That's too long to go without some fun :-) On the other hand, getting in at midnight and heading out the door the next morning at 5am isn't exactly fun either. And there's always the possibility of flight problems screwing the whole thing up. Ah well, it's a good charity!

High school weight... pipe dream. That's 30lbs away and I don't think I want to be that skinny again! But I'd gladly split the difference :-)

Stu
2014-04-10 6:22 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by JREDFLY Gained a pound, my son's birthday, I swear if I look at a piece of freakin cake I gain a pound. ;( Allergies just kicked in up here so that is not going to help things. I get so fatigued, especially later in the day, Stinks. Any other alergy sufferers out there with any advice? Time to get serious though, my half marathon is in 7 weeks. Scott - you sound like you are doing great, keep it up!!!

The only advice I can give is getting the allergy shots. They changed my world. I didn't even know I had allergies. I was getting chronic sinus infections (at least once/month) and was chronically exhausted. Couldn't do a thing by the end of the day. I mean nothing, I had been previously tested for allergies years before and was mildly allergic to outdoor molds and pollen (and of course dust  mites). A PA at a docs office suggested I may have allergies. I didn't think so but I figured it couldn't hurt. Got tested, I am HIGHLY allergic to those things now, Started the shots and have only had 2 infections since... in over a year now.

2014-04-10 6:25 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Champion
Bronze member

and she told me I had done something for her that no man had done in many years--made her a happy woman.  I about fell off my fit ball (I don't use a chair at home)  

That too was a good giggle for my day.

That made me about fall off my fit ball, too!

2014-04-10 7:11 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by JREDFLY Gained a pound, my son's birthday, I swear if I look at a piece of freakin cake I gain a pound. ;( Allergies just kicked in up here so that is not going to help things. I get so fatigued, especially later in the day, Stinks. Any other alergy sufferers out there with any advice? Time to get serious though, my half marathon is in 7 weeks. Scott - you sound like you are doing great, keep it up!!!

The only advice I can give is getting the allergy shots. They changed my world. I didn't even know I had allergies. I was getting chronic sinus infections (at least once/month) and was chronically exhausted. Couldn't do a thing by the end of the day. I mean nothing, I had been previously tested for allergies years before and was mildly allergic to outdoor molds and pollen (and of course dust  mites). A PA at a docs office suggested I may have allergies. I didn't think so but I figured it couldn't hurt. Got tested, I am HIGHLY allergic to those things now, Started the shots and have only had 2 infections since... in over a year now.

I'm with Robin on this one.  I used to get 2 BAD sinus infections a year with bronchitis.....I have been getting allergy shots for about 6 years (took 6 months off & got very sick a few years ago).  Get tested & get shots.  Seriously, I am allergic to everything BUT horses.  I also take Zyrtec in the morning and Singulair at night.  I use a saline nasal spray to clear my sinuses before using the nasal steroid spray and another inhaler twice a day.  With this combination I can safely keep training.

2014-04-10 1:35 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: allergies
Central Texas is spose to be horrible for allergies.
I swear by ten minutes twice a week in a steam room.
I havent been sick hardly at all in the nine years i have been doing that.
I have terrible chemical sensitivity issues but I get by pretty well with the steam room detox.

So as far as the challenge...lets see...losing weight...I am ten pounds heavier than my hs weight.
Looks like I will have to crash some of those all day bike tours..HA

2014-04-10 4:10 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Dublin, Ohio
Subject: RE: Good luck Steve
Good luck this weekend Steve! Trust your training!
2014-04-10 6:26 PM
in reply to: wsummerhill

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Originally posted by wsummerhill

Good luck this weekend Steve! Trust your training!

I'm already looking forward to the race report from our leader. Go get 'em Steve!
2014-04-12 6:54 AM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by DJP_19
Originally posted by wsummerhill Good luck this weekend Steve! Trust your training!
I'm already looking forward to the race report from our leader. Go get 'em Steve!

Have a great race, Steve!

2014-04-12 6:57 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by QueenZipp

I'm with Robin on this one.  I used to get 2 BAD sinus infections a year with bronchitis.....I have been getting allergy shots for about 6 years (took 6 months off & got very sick a few years ago).  Get tested & get shots.  Seriously, I am allergic to everything BUT horses.  I also take Zyrtec in the morning and Singulair at night.  I use a saline nasal spray to clear my sinuses before using the nasal steroid spray and another inhaler twice a day.  With this combination I can safely keep training.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Robin and Judy - Thank you so much. Sorry to hear you suffer from this too, people don't realize how exhausdted it can make you and the bronchitis is brutal. I got tested last year and I am allergic to every tree in New England, grass and dust. Then they tell me there was nothing they could do and just gave me a steriod nasal spray and told me to take ZyrtecD. I think it is time to find a new allergy doctor. Do you have to go into the doctors office every week for the shots? Sounds like a big commitment but at this point I would do anything to function normally. Thanks again for your input, I'll keep you posted. James

Edited by JREDFLY 2014-04-12 7:00 AM
2014-04-12 9:42 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by JREDFLY

----------------------------------------------------------- Robin and Judy - Thank you so much. Sorry to hear you suffer from this too, people don't realize how exhausdted it can make you and the bronchitis is brutal. I got tested last year and I am allergic to every tree in New England, grass and dust. Then they tell me there was nothing they could do and just gave me a steriod nasal spray and told me to take ZyrtecD. I think it is time to find a new allergy doctor. Do you have to go into the doctors office every week for the shots? Sounds like a big commitment but at this point I would do anything to function normally. Thanks again for your input, I'll keep you posted. James

YES!!!!!!! find a new allergist! I go to the docs office every 2 weeks normally, but now, during prime pollen time, I go once per week. I easily gain the time it takes back with feeling better and having more energy.. Oh, and not being continually sick! I started them about this time last year, I went for the cluster shots to hurry the process along since it was prime time. I was feeling better in a month or so. I also use a nasal spray called "Dmysta". It works better than any other spray i have used. I use that in the mornings and twice a day if I am out gardening and getting right in the stuff that I am allergic to.

2014-04-12 3:23 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by JREDFLY

----------------------------------------------------------- Robin and Judy - Thank you so much. Sorry to hear you suffer from this too, people don't realize how exhausdted it can make you and the bronchitis is brutal. I got tested last year and I am allergic to every tree in New England, grass and dust. Then they tell me there was nothing they could do and just gave me a steriod nasal spray and told me to take ZyrtecD. I think it is time to find a new allergy doctor. Do you have to go into the doctors office every week for the shots? Sounds like a big commitment but at this point I would do anything to function normally. Thanks again for your input, I'll keep you posted. James

YES!!!!!!! find a new allergist! I go to the docs office every 2 weeks normally, but now, during prime pollen time, I go once per week. I easily gain the time it takes back with feeling better and having more energy.. Oh, and not being continually sick! I started them about this time last year, I went for the cluster shots to hurry the process along since it was prime time. I was feeling better in a month or so. I also use a nasal spray called "Dmysta". It works better than any other spray i have used. I use that in the mornings and twice a day if I am out gardening and getting right in the stuff that I am allergic to.

YES!! Again, I agree with Robin.  Find a new allergist.  

Yes, the shots require a time commitment of going to the office and most Docs make you wait 20 minutes post shot to make sure there is no reaction.  Initially the shots are every week, once you build up to maintenance dose you only have to go once a month.  Until they order new serum at which point you go weekly x 3 weeks to get back to maintenance.  

When I started getting shots my allergists office was in the medical building next to the hospital where I was working so I could go over on my lunch break and eat lunch while I sat the 20 minutes.  That changed when I got my current job--and my allergist moved last fall....I didn't want to go to the new office (way out of my way)....found an office just minutes from home and since I work from home it's easy even if I hate the staff in that office.

Anyway, I have found that getting shots and taking my meds has made a huge improvement in the quality  of my life--even now when my car is covered in pollen from all that is blooming right now.

2014-04-12 3:58 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Thanks for the good wishes everyone. I'm nervous as he'll, but I always have major pre-race anxiety, so I guess it's business as usual. It's supposed to be hot tomorrow(85) but fortunately the gray guys/ gals-55+ get the first wave after the pros, so we're out early. That will help.

Up at 3:30 tomorrow to eat and get to the course.

I'll follow up with my race report when I get the energy,

Steve
2014-04-13 9:21 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-04-13 1:53 PM
in reply to: Dogpaddle

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Dogpaddle Live coverage : http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/coverage/detail.aspx?race=florida7... How fun it would be to actually be there in person!!

Two of my pals did the half there today.

2014-04-13 2:58 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: REChallenge update

Wt loss   5 points no gain (what do I get for 0.2 lbs lost?)

workouts 625 min = 20.83 points

--------------------------------------------------

25.83 points

2014-04-13 6:12 PM

Dublin, Ohio
Subject: RE: REChallenge update
Steve finished in 5:18:55! Seriously fast! Way to go Steve! Can't wait to hear all about it!
2014-04-13 6:20 PM

New user
Hingham, MA
Weight loss 1 pound = 10 pts + 5 pts no weight gain = 15

380 workout minutes = 12.66

Total 27.66

Very proud of these workout minutes because of the fatigue I have been going through with my allergies. Hopefully that will be changing soon. Thanks James

2014-04-13 6:22 PM
in reply to: wsummerhill

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by wsummerhill

Steve finished in 5:18:55! Seriously fast! Way to go Steve! Can't wait to hear all about it!

We should change our name to "Steve's Groupies"!!!
2014-04-13 7:59 PM

Farmington, Connecticut
weight &.4lbs, so -4pts.
Workout 304 min &10pts

Total & 6pts.

Ran a 5k race today, my first one since last July. I set two goals: improve over last year's best 5k time of 26:01, and break an 8min/mile pace. Met one of my two goals, finishing in 25:32. I'm not too surprised that I didn't break the 8min mark, since there were two lengthy hills on the course. I either need to spend more time training on hills, or else pick flatter race courses.

2014-04-13 8:11 PM

Farmington, Connecticut
Just saw Steve's time. Wow! Way to go, Steve.

Edited by DJP_19 2014-04-13 8:13 PM

2014-04-13 8:21 PM

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Hey Gang:

Here's the race report from Orlando. I haven't had much time to crunch the numbers, but I'll dissect the performances in my AG on the flight home on Tuesday night.

Overall, this is a pretty nice race. Despite what I had read online about the lake being nasty, I thought it was fine. Maybe in a month the Algae growth will be bad (last year the race was in May) but I thought the water was perfectly fine. There was not much clarity, but no off smells to make you wonder about if you're swimming in a glorified toilet.

The road course is actually pretty nice too. The pavement was surprisingly good. There was a short stretch between about mile 40-45 where it was dicey--and a few bumps along the way--but I've raced on much nastier roads. No chip seal either, so you've got to love that. We had a pretty good cross wind on the way back in that hit after mile 30, which meant we had a head wind when the road would turn into it. But it wasn't bad.

The run course is three loops and is surprisingly tough. There were two fairly good hills that you got to hit on each lap. It was taxing and quite a challenge.

The weather was warm (82) but not nearly as bad as it could have been. It took a toll on me, but such as life. Overall, this is a pretty good race, well run, and in line with I guess what you would expect under the Ironman brand.

Overall, I'm OK with my race result. Since it was my first HIM event there was some learning, so I take that for what it worth. But I really melted down on my run which killed my time and kept me out of the top 10 where I hoped to finish. I finished the swim in 37:48. I pretty much took it easy on the swim, thinking that I wanted to save my energy for the balance of the day, which is reflected in my time. I came out of the water feeling pretty good.

The bike was actually pretty fun. It's a long ride and I kept the gas on pretty much the whole way. My mistake was I pushed a little too hard once we really turned into the wind around mile 40-45. There was group I wanted to pace off of, so I just upped the watts and pushed. I paid for that once I got to the run...but my bike time was decent at 2:40. There were some seriously good cyclists there...I think the top time in the 55 AG was about 2:25!

The run was a meltdown. I started running and my legs were not cooperating. It was nasty. After the first lap (of three) I loosened up a bit and managed through most of lap two slogging along slow but without pain. Lap three was a mess. The lactic acid was so built up in my quads that every step ached. It was pretty nasty. I finished in 1:55, when I was shooting for 1:45. Those 10 minutes were the difference between making the top 10 or my 14th place finish. My final time was 5:18:55.

I probably need to add more bricks. On an Olympic or Sprint race, I can endure the run because the bike takes less of a toll, not to mention that the run itself is much shorter. So, I'm going to need to ramp it up a bit to get ready for the longer distance.

I'm in serious leg discomfort tonight. That lactic acid build up in the quads is going to haunt me for a few days. Better living through Ibuprophen.

So, all things considered, I'm OK with the outcome. It wasn't what I was hoping for, but it was a good learning experience. Boise 70.3 is next on June 6. Hopefully I be ready for a stronger performance.

Happy training.

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2014-04-13 8:24 PM
2014-04-13 8:44 PM

New user
Hingham, MA
Nice job captain!!!

Hope your legs feel better soon.

James
2014-04-14 6:40 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-04-14 6:41 AM

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by lutzman Hey Gang: Here's the race report from Orlando. I haven't had much time to crunch the numbers, but I'll dissect the performances in my AG on the flight home on Tuesday night. Overall, this is a pretty nice race. Despite what I had read online about the lake being nasty, I thought it was fine. Maybe in a month the Algae growth will be bad (last year the race was in May) but I thought the water was perfectly fine. There was not much clarity, but no off smells to make you wonder about if you're swimming in a glorified toilet. The road course is actually pretty nice too. The pavement was surprisingly good. There was a short stretch between about mile 40-45 where it was dicey--and a few bumps along the way--but I've raced on much nastier roads. No chip seal either, so you've got to love that. We had a pretty good cross wind on the way back in that hit after mile 30, which meant we had a head wind when the road would turn into it. But it wasn't bad. The run course is three loops and is surprisingly tough. There were two fairly good hills that you got to hit on each lap. It was taxing and quite a challenge. The weather was warm (82) but not nearly as bad as it could have been. It took a toll on me, but such as life. Overall, this is a pretty good race, well run, and in line with I guess what you would expect under the Ironman brand. Overall, I'm OK with my race result. Since it was my first HIM event there was some learning, so I take that for what it worth. But I really melted down on my run which killed my time and kept me out of the top 10 where I hoped to finish. I finished the swim in 37:48. I pretty much took it easy on the swim, thinking that I wanted to save my energy for the balance of the day, which is reflected in my time. I came out of the water feeling pretty good. The bike was actually pretty fun. It's a long ride and I kept the gas on pretty much the whole way. My mistake was I pushed a little too hard once we really turned into the wind around mile 40-45. There was group I wanted to pace off of, so I just upped the watts and pushed. I paid for that once I got to the run...but my bike time was decent at 2:40. There were some seriously good cyclists there...I think the top time in the 55 AG was about 2:25! The run was a meltdown. I started running and my legs were not cooperating. It was nasty. After the first lap (of three) I loosened up a bit and managed through most of lap two slogging along slow but without pain. Lap three was a mess. The lactic acid was so built up in my quads that every step ached. It was pretty nasty. I finished in 1:55, when I was shooting for 1:45. Those 10 minutes were the difference between making the top 10 or my 14th place finish. My final time was 5:18:55. I probably need to add more bricks. On an Olympic or Sprint race, I can endure the run because the bike takes less of a toll, not to mention that the run itself is much shorter. So, I'm going to need to ramp it up a bit to get ready for the longer distance. I'm in serious leg discomfort tonight. That lactic acid build up in the quads is going to haunt me for a few days. Better living through Ibuprophen. So, all things considered, I'm OK with the outcome. It wasn't what I was hoping for, but it was a good learning experience. Boise 70.3 is next on June 6. Hopefully I be ready for a stronger performance. Happy training. Steve

Strong work, Steve!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18124 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 4, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.