BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2014-04-22 4:26 PM
in reply to: wsummerhill

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Challenge Update

Originally posted by wsummerhill Wow was that ugly! The last 4 miles I swore I was never ever going to do another marathon! I started out too fast and by 19 miles my legs were killing me. I know better! I salvaged a 3:25 and still had a wonderful time. The crowds were amazing. Several times I teared up from the overwhelming support the city of Boston showed. Truly a wonderful experience! Oh, and I changed my mind. There will be more marathons. Next year redemption will be sweet at Boston! Have a terrific week everyone!

Way to rock it ,  Wendy!!  

2014-04-22 7:27 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Tough week with travel. 5 points no weight gain plus 5 workout points = 10 points total

(GGG 4-21-2014.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
GGG 4-21-2014.jpg (130KB - 4 downloads)
2014-04-22 7:39 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by wsummerhill

Wow was that ugly! The last 4 miles I swore I was never ever going to do another marathon!

I started out too fast and by 19 miles my legs were killing me. I know better! I salvaged a 3:25 and still had a wonderful time. The crowds were amazing. Several times I teared up from the overwhelming support the city of Boston showed. Truly a wonderful experience!

Oh, and I changed my mind. There will be more marathons. Next year redemption will be sweet at Boston!

Have a terrific week everyone!

Very impressive!!!! GREAT JOB!

Hey Stu, I have a new hero.

Wendy, I told you about that subtle ski slope at the beginning, Many a great runner has fallen victim.

Wow 3:25! Holy crap that is good, what were you shooting?

P.S. What did you think of the color of jackets this year?

2014-04-22 7:53 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by lutzman

It's nasty...like a giant toothache running down my arm. I've got a business trip to Florida tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be better later in the week.

Steve

Steve

I get very worried about posssible heart issues when someone tells me they are having pain down their arm. Did you have the doctor check you out?

James
2014-04-23 5:46 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by wsummerhill Wow was that ugly! The last 4 miles I swore I was never ever going to do another marathon! I started out too fast and by 19 miles my legs were killing me. I know better! I salvaged a 3:25 and still had a wonderful time. The crowds were amazing. Several times I teared up from the overwhelming support the city of Boston showed. Truly a wonderful experience! Oh, and I changed my mind. There will be more marathons. Next year redemption will be sweet at Boston! Have a terrific week everyone!

GREAT time, great race! You are my hero!

2014-04-23 9:08 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
James--appreciate your concern, but I'm pretty sure it's not my heart. The pain is in my right arm and is movement specific. I walk around, run, do a bunch of stuff without any pain at all. It's like I'm perfectly fine. But if I reach my right arm to the left across my chest or use my right arm to reach behind my back to tuck in shirt, the pain shoots right down my arm. I don't believe that's how heart issues work...the pain is more constant (like a headache).

Fortunately, the pain has really abated over the last two days. On Sunday the pain was so bad I was worried that my tri season was in jeopardy. Today I'm ready to jump back into training. Crazy.

Steve

2014-04-23 9:14 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular

Wow was that ugly! The last 4 miles I swore I was never ever going to do another marathon!

I started out too fast and by 19 miles my legs were killing me. I know better! I salvaged a 3:25 and still had a wonderful time. The crowds were amazing. Several times I teared up from the overwhelming support the city of Boston showed. Truly a wonderful experience!

Oh, and I changed my mind. There will be more marathons. Next year redemption will be sweet at Boston!

Wow, Wendy! Really great effort. "Salvaged" and "3:25" are words that don't go together.

For what its worth, I'm down in Florida for meetings with a key customer. He ran Boston last year and this year as well. He's a pretty solid runner for age 59. Last year he ran 3:04....this year 3:27. He said he walked for the first time ever in the race because he was just completely spent. He also said there were seven runners in Boston from his club here in Lakeland and every single one of them finished slower than anticipated. For whatever reason, it appears that it was a slower race.

Regardless, nice job and congratulations!

Steve

PS--I've swore I'll never do another marathon in the last four miles of EVERY marathon I've run.

Edited by lutzman 2014-04-23 9:16 AM
2014-04-23 9:30 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by lutzman

James--appreciate your concern, but I'm pretty sure it's not my heart. The pain is in my right arm and is movement specific. I walk around, run, do a bunch of stuff without any pain at all. It's like I'm perfectly fine. But if I reach my right arm to the left across my chest or use my right arm to reach behind my back to tuck in shirt, the pain shoots right down my arm. I don't believe that's how heart issues work...the pain is more constant (like a headache).

Fortunately, the pain has really abated over the last two days. On Sunday the pain was so bad I was worried that my tri season was in jeopardy. Today I'm ready to jump back into training. Crazy.

Steve

Good to hear - glad you are on the way back!!!

James
2014-04-23 9:41 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by lutzman James--appreciate your concern, but I'm pretty sure it's not my heart. The pain is in my right arm and is movement specific. I walk around, run, do a bunch of stuff without any pain at all. It's like I'm perfectly fine. But if I reach my right arm to the left across my chest or use my right arm to reach behind my back to tuck in shirt, the pain shoots right down my arm. I don't believe that's how heart issues work...the pain is more constant (like a headache). Fortunately, the pain has really abated over the last two days. On Sunday the pain was so bad I was worried that my tri season was in jeopardy. Today I'm ready to jump back into training. Crazy. Steve

You probably know this, but... Doing the PT for rotator-cuff surgery recovery daily can help prevent repeat injuries. When I remember this, and DO them 3-4 times a week minimum, my shoulder is fine. If I don't.. shooting pains.

2014-04-23 4:04 PM

User image

Dublin, Ohio
Originally posted by JREDFLY

Very impressive!!!! GREAT JOB!

Hey Stu, I have a new hero.

Wendy, I told you about that subtle ski slope at the beginning, Many a great runner has fallen victim.

Wow 3:25! Holy crap that is good, what were you shooting?

P.S. What did you think of the color of jackets this year?

I was shooting for a 3:20 and after all the people that I heard struggled, I consider myself lucky! It was really warm - 70 degrees at the end. I was on pace for a 3:18 through 19 miles when the wheels came off. I think the only people that had great races were Meb and Rita Jeptoo! Yay Meb!

The color of the jackets were interesting. VERY bright! I didn't buy one because I'm holding out for an Ironman jacket!
2014-04-24 8:41 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

I was shooting for a 3:20 and after all the people that I heard struggled, I consider myself lucky! It was really warm - 70 degrees at the end. I was on pace for a 3:18 through 19 miles when the wheels came off. I think the only people that had great races were Meb and Rita Jeptoo! Yay Meb!

The color of the jackets were interesting. VERY bright! I didn't buy one because I'm holding out for an Ironman jacket!

"VERY Bright", I heard of neon orange but you need sunglasses to wear those jackets. Never saw an orange that bright.

How to hang in there those last 7 miles.

2014-04-25 8:48 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: It's Friday!!!
Hey everyone:

Who is racing this weekend? Come on, fess us and let us cheer for you.

My shoulder is much better so I'm planning a full training weekend to get back in the groove for my HIM in Boise on June 7. Hope you've got some great plans for the weekend.

Steve
2014-04-25 9:18 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: It's Friday!!!

Originally posted by lutzman Hey everyone: Who is racing this weekend? Come on, fess us and let us cheer for you. My shoulder is much better so I'm planning a full training weekend to get back in the groove for my HIM in Boise on June 7. Hope you've got some great plans for the weekend. Steve

I signed up for a 10K on Saturday!!  Since I missed the one I had planned last month I'm happy to get in this one.  

Metric Century on Sunday--not a race but my tuckas will be less than enthusiastic about 62 miles in the saddle.  Good thing for chamois butter.

Edited by QueenZipp 2014-04-25 9:18 AM
2014-04-25 12:20 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
My local YMCA tri club is holding an event on Sunday. The swim and bike(spin) segments remain indoors, but we're going outdoors for the run. Not a moment too soon for my taste.
2014-04-25 1:07 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Expert
Falls Church

I still need to catch up on all the posts.  Maybe this weekend.

2014-04-25 1:40 PM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Running Advice Needed.

Because I have a half marathon scheduled for 5/25, I have a 10 mile run scheduled for this weekend. I was going to run it on asphalt pavement but my friend who is just looking out for me suggested I run the 10 miles on a trail to avoid injury and wait to start running on pavement till next week.

FYI - my last long run was 8.5 miles on pavement and I felt fine. I have been running on a treadmill during the week. The half marathon will be on the streets in Boston

Any thoughts or opinions?

2014-04-25 3:42 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by JREDFLY

Running Advice Needed.

Because I have a half marathon scheduled for 5/25, I have a 10 mile run scheduled for this weekend. I was going to run it on asphalt pavement but my friend who is just looking out for me suggested I run the 10 miles on a trail to avoid injury and wait to start running on pavement till next week.

FYI - my last long run was 8.5 miles on pavement and I felt fine. I have been running on a treadmill during the week. The half marathon will be on the streets in Boston

Any thoughts or opinions?

Hey James--

With regard to trails vs. asphalt, I wouldn't have an issue with hitting the trails to keep it easier on the legs. There is certainly no harm in staying with the trails IMHO. As you've concluded, you've got to get conditioned to the harder surfaces, but IMHO you can potentially start getting some of your midweek runs outside on similar surfaces to where you'll race. That will condition your legs without subjecting them to 10 miles of pounding. You're essentially four weeks out, so I would think if you can get two shorter midweek runs on pavement that would be more important than the surface for your weekly long run.

With regard to distance I imagine your planning on weekly long runs now for the next three Saturdays. I've been running an 11 mile weekender consistently all winter. The 13.1 half in my HIM a couple of weeks ago was no problem distance-wise, I just didn't have anything in the tank to crank up the intensity. So, depending on your goals for the event, those weekly long runs at 10 miles+ will probably be helpful.

Good luck.
2014-04-25 3:44 PM

User image

Regular
Jeez Judy. You're not only kicking my a_s in the weight loss challenge but you're making me look like a slacker with the weekend training plan I laid out!

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2014-04-25 3:45 PM
2014-04-25 6:17 PM

User image

My sprint tri is this Sunday. Today, a friend and I tried an open water swim in the gulf. The waves didn't look bad, but they sure felt strong under the water. Only swam 12 minutes. A mouth full of salt water and difficult direction at times. The water was clear, but I still was all over the place, the water moving me. My swim Sunday is the bay. Weather should be good. Water is warm, was 78 today. Hopefully, much less waves. I'm ready for it. I had thought about using my husband's bike, which is more of a road bike, but I haven't trained on it, and feel more comfortable on mine, although I know it isn't as fast. I'm hoping for under 2 hour total time. The St Anthony's triathlon is a big race, and the first time they've had a sprint. Around 800 in the sprint, and I believe around 200 of us are novices. I'm so excited. My 16 year old daughter is doing it also, her first too. Tomorrow is athlete check in, bike drop off, and expo.
Any last minute tips are appreciated.
ps. the swim training that Scott provided me has been awesome. I see the difference it has made, and I just want to say thank you, so much.
2014-04-25 7:37 PM
in reply to: Kris67

User image

Regular
Good luck, Kris.

Just relax your way through the swim. Once you get out of the water it's nothing but fun. Personally, I'd go with the bike I know and trust, but I'm not big on trying out anything new on race day.

We'll look forward to your race report.

Race goal: Really concentrate on having a blast.

Steve
2014-04-26 6:29 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Kris67 My sprint tri is this Sunday. Today, a friend and I tried an open water swim in the gulf. The waves didn't look bad, but they sure felt strong under the water. Only swam 12 minutes. A mouth full of salt water and difficult direction at times. The water was clear, but I still was all over the place, the water moving me. My swim Sunday is the bay. Weather should be good. Water is warm, was 78 today. Hopefully, much less waves. I'm ready for it. I had thought about using my husband's bike, which is more of a road bike, but I haven't trained on it, and feel more comfortable on mine, although I know it isn't as fast. I'm hoping for under 2 hour total time. The St Anthony's triathlon is a big race, and the first time they've had a sprint. Around 800 in the sprint, and I believe around 200 of us are novices. I'm so excited. My 16 year old daughter is doing it also, her first too. Tomorrow is athlete check in, bike drop off, and expo. Any last minute tips are appreciated. ps. the swim training that Scott provided me has been awesome. I see the difference it has made, and I just want to say thank you, so much.

Ignore anything in your head at any time that is negative. Smile and have fun. Good thing you got in the salt water to feel the difference, now you will be ready. I can't wait to hear all about it.

2014-04-26 10:02 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Best of luck, Kris.

I'm also following the swim training progression plan that Scott posted for you, so I can't wait to read your report. My first OWS is a month away.

Go get 'em!

Dave
2014-04-26 11:08 AM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

No PR, but a good run for me.  Had fun at the 10K

2014-04-26 1:42 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by Kris67

My sprint tri is this Sunday. Today, a friend and I tried an open water swim in the gulf. The waves didn't look bad, but they sure felt strong under the water. Only swam 12 minutes. A mouth full of salt water and difficult direction at times. The water was clear, but I still was all over the place, the water moving me. My swim Sunday is the bay. Weather should be good. Water is warm, was 78 today. Hopefully, much less waves. I'm ready for it. I had thought about using my husband's bike, which is more of a road bike, but I haven't trained on it, and feel more comfortable on mine, although I know it isn't as fast. I'm hoping for under 2 hour total time. The St Anthony's triathlon is a big race, and the first time they've had a sprint. Around 800 in the sprint, and I believe around 200 of us are novices. I'm so excited. My 16 year old daughter is doing it also, her first too. Tomorrow is athlete check in, bike drop off, and expo.
Any last minute tips are appreciated.
ps. the swim training that Scott provided me has been awesome. I see the difference it has made, and I just want to say thank you, so much.

Get there early and get a few minutes in the water to get acclimated - it will be huge. Being a novice swimmer I lined up on the outside and waited five seconds to dive in to avoid the crowd. Have a go-to stroke if you get nervous or tired - I just went to a backstroke. If you haven't done any bricks you will soon find out why you should do them. Most importantly HAVE FUN!

Looking forward to your first race report. The one I did last year was pretty funny how I thought the course looked soooo freakin long, later to find out when I was putting my gear away that I forgot to put my prescription glasses on (Ha! Ha!). Remember HAVE FUN!!!
2014-04-26 7:53 PM

User image

Dublin, Ohio
Good luck Kris! Go get em!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18228 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 4, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.