BT Mentor Program 2014 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: Ron Reply
Show Per page

of 39

2014-04-22 4:26 PM
in reply to: wsummerhill

User image

Royal(PITA)
over the rainbow
Silver member
Subject: RE: Challenge Update

Originally posted by wsummerhill Wow was that ugly! The last 4 miles I swore I was never ever going to do another marathon! I started out too fast and by 19 miles my legs were killing me. I know better! I salvaged a 3:25 and still had a wonderful time. The crowds were amazing. Several times I teared up from the overwhelming support the city of Boston showed. Truly a wonderful experience! Oh, and I changed my mind. There will be more marathons. Next year redemption will be sweet at Boston! Have a terrific week everyone!

Way to rock it ,  Wendy!!  

2014-04-22 7:27 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Tough week with travel. 5 points no weight gain plus 5 workout points = 10 points total

(GGG 4-21-2014.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
GGG 4-21-2014.jpg (130KB - 0 downloads)
2014-04-22 7:39 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by wsummerhill

Wow was that ugly! The last 4 miles I swore I was never ever going to do another marathon!

I started out too fast and by 19 miles my legs were killing me. I know better! I salvaged a 3:25 and still had a wonderful time. The crowds were amazing. Several times I teared up from the overwhelming support the city of Boston showed. Truly a wonderful experience!

Oh, and I changed my mind. There will be more marathons. Next year redemption will be sweet at Boston!

Have a terrific week everyone!

Very impressive!!!! GREAT JOB!

Hey Stu, I have a new hero.

Wendy, I told you about that subtle ski slope at the beginning, Many a great runner has fallen victim.

Wow 3:25! Holy crap that is good, what were you shooting?

P.S. What did you think of the color of jackets this year?

2014-04-22 7:53 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by lutzman

It's nasty...like a giant toothache running down my arm. I've got a business trip to Florida tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be better later in the week.

Steve

Steve

I get very worried about posssible heart issues when someone tells me they are having pain down their arm. Did you have the doctor check you out?

James
2014-04-23 5:46 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member

Originally posted by wsummerhill Wow was that ugly! The last 4 miles I swore I was never ever going to do another marathon! I started out too fast and by 19 miles my legs were killing me. I know better! I salvaged a 3:25 and still had a wonderful time. The crowds were amazing. Several times I teared up from the overwhelming support the city of Boston showed. Truly a wonderful experience! Oh, and I changed my mind. There will be more marathons. Next year redemption will be sweet at Boston! Have a terrific week everyone!

GREAT time, great race! You are my hero!

2014-04-23 9:08 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
James--appreciate your concern, but I'm pretty sure it's not my heart. The pain is in my right arm and is movement specific. I walk around, run, do a bunch of stuff without any pain at all. It's like I'm perfectly fine. But if I reach my right arm to the left across my chest or use my right arm to reach behind my back to tuck in shirt, the pain shoots right down my arm. I don't believe that's how heart issues work...the pain is more constant (like a headache).

Fortunately, the pain has really abated over the last two days. On Sunday the pain was so bad I was worried that my tri season was in jeopardy. Today I'm ready to jump back into training. Crazy.

Steve

2014-04-23 9:14 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington

Wow was that ugly! The last 4 miles I swore I was never ever going to do another marathon!

I started out too fast and by 19 miles my legs were killing me. I know better! I salvaged a 3:25 and still had a wonderful time. The crowds were amazing. Several times I teared up from the overwhelming support the city of Boston showed. Truly a wonderful experience!

Oh, and I changed my mind. There will be more marathons. Next year redemption will be sweet at Boston!

Wow, Wendy! Really great effort. "Salvaged" and "3:25" are words that don't go together.

For what its worth, I'm down in Florida for meetings with a key customer. He ran Boston last year and this year as well. He's a pretty solid runner for age 59. Last year he ran 3:04....this year 3:27. He said he walked for the first time ever in the race because he was just completely spent. He also said there were seven runners in Boston from his club here in Lakeland and every single one of them finished slower than anticipated. For whatever reason, it appears that it was a slower race.

Regardless, nice job and congratulations!

Steve

PS--I've swore I'll never do another marathon in the last four miles of EVERY marathon I've run.

Edited by lutzman 2014-04-23 9:16 AM
2014-04-23 9:30 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by lutzman

James--appreciate your concern, but I'm pretty sure it's not my heart. The pain is in my right arm and is movement specific. I walk around, run, do a bunch of stuff without any pain at all. It's like I'm perfectly fine. But if I reach my right arm to the left across my chest or use my right arm to reach behind my back to tuck in shirt, the pain shoots right down my arm. I don't believe that's how heart issues work...the pain is more constant (like a headache).

Fortunately, the pain has really abated over the last two days. On Sunday the pain was so bad I was worried that my tri season was in jeopardy. Today I'm ready to jump back into training. Crazy.

Steve

Good to hear - glad you are on the way back!!!

James
2014-04-23 9:41 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman James--appreciate your concern, but I'm pretty sure it's not my heart. The pain is in my right arm and is movement specific. I walk around, run, do a bunch of stuff without any pain at all. It's like I'm perfectly fine. But if I reach my right arm to the left across my chest or use my right arm to reach behind my back to tuck in shirt, the pain shoots right down my arm. I don't believe that's how heart issues work...the pain is more constant (like a headache). Fortunately, the pain has really abated over the last two days. On Sunday the pain was so bad I was worried that my tri season was in jeopardy. Today I'm ready to jump back into training. Crazy. Steve

You probably know this, but... Doing the PT for rotator-cuff surgery recovery daily can help prevent repeat injuries. When I remember this, and DO them 3-4 times a week minimum, my shoulder is fine. If I don't.. shooting pains.

2014-04-23 4:04 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Dublin, Ohio
Originally posted by JREDFLY

Very impressive!!!! GREAT JOB!

Hey Stu, I have a new hero.

Wendy, I told you about that subtle ski slope at the beginning, Many a great runner has fallen victim.

Wow 3:25! Holy crap that is good, what were you shooting?

P.S. What did you think of the color of jackets this year?

I was shooting for a 3:20 and after all the people that I heard struggled, I consider myself lucky! It was really warm - 70 degrees at the end. I was on pace for a 3:18 through 19 miles when the wheels came off. I think the only people that had great races were Meb and Rita Jeptoo! Yay Meb!

The color of the jackets were interesting. VERY bright! I didn't buy one because I'm holding out for an Ironman jacket!
New Thread
BT Mentor Program 2014 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Show Per page

of 39

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 5831 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 4, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.