BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2014-04-03 10:17 PM
in reply to: marcag

Subject: RE: Week 13 - Last Tests!

Will test early next week, trying to keep it going with the workouts though. Did the 2 x 20 from last week, and just tried to do better than last time. It was hard. I ended up with 100% and 101% FTP. The second interval was only 12 watts short of my last test, so I guess that's a good sign. I had already swam an hour, and did an nice 4 mile progression run in the previous 3 hours before the ride today too.

(Read this next portion at your own risk, I ramble a bit)
I don't know about everyone else, but when going into a hard workout, my brain doesn't really accept what I am going to make my body do until a few minutes into the workout. Its like, "wait a minute, you are really going to do this," and then I say to myself, "well, I started, I guess I am really doing this." Sometimes, I don't accept that I will actually be able to do it, and I tell myself, "I will just keep going until I can't." And I have found, that on the bike, as much as I want my legs to stop working, most of the time they don't. I actually have asked myself, deep into a painful interval, "how are my legs still going." And I crave those moments of distraction, where I lose myself in thought, any thought. Like today for example, I looked at the time, and rode in pain some more, then looked again. 15 seconds. I just couldn't comprehend how only 15 seconds passed. Then I started trying to remember some of the details of Einstein's Theory of Relativity, specifically, the concept of time dilation. Like how time measured by two observers can be different based on the concept of bending spacetime. So I thought to myself, I am bending spacetime with my effort. And it seemed perfectly reasonable, since I was trying really hard. I look down at the clock, and boom! 45 more seconds. But you can't will it to happen. It's like when you are going to sleep, and you really really want to go to sleep, and you start having those strange thoughts that just aren't logical, and then you wake yourself up because whatever you were thinking just made no sense, and then you are pissed that you woke yourself up. Its kind of like that.

Anyhow, it was a good ride.

(2x20Apr3-2014.png)

Attachments
----------------
2x20Apr3-2014.png (76KB - 11 downloads)
activity_473081851.tcx (644KB - 6 downloads)

2014-04-04 6:27 AM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ImSore

I don't know about everyone else, but when going into a hard workout, my brain doesn't really accept what I am going to make my body do until a few minutes into the workout. Its like, "wait a minute, you are really going to do this," and then I say to myself, "well, I started, I guess I am really doing this." Sometimes, I don't accept that I will actually be able to do it, and I tell myself, "I will just keep going until I can't." And I have found, that on the bike, as much as I want my legs to stop working, most of the time they don't. I actually have asked myself, deep into a painful interval, "how are my legs still going." And I crave those moments of distraction, where I lose myself in thought, any thought. Like today for example, I looked at the time, and rode in pain some more, then looked again. 15 seconds. I just couldn't comprehend how only 15 seconds passed. Then I started trying to remember some of the details of Einstein's Theory of Relativity, specifically, the concept of time dilation. Like how time measured by two observers can be different based on the concept of bending spacetime. So I thought to myself, I am bending spacetime with my effort. And it seemed perfectly reasonable, since I was trying really hard. I look down at the clock, and boom! 45 more seconds. But you can't will it to happen. It's like when you are going to sleep, and you really really want to go to sleep, and you start having those strange thoughts that just aren't logical, and then you wake yourself up because whatever you were thinking just made no sense, and then you are pissed that you woke yourself up. Its kind of like that.

I can partially relate :-)
I cringe at the the idea of these workouts. I am nervous before I start, and like you I say to myself if you can't do it, you can always stop or back off. And rarely do
The clock. 100% agree. It feels like it stops.
Now, where we diverge is on thinking of Einstein's theory of relativity and bending spacetime.....I sit there and curse (in French)

Actually I loved your idea of breaking down into a 10, 5, 3, 2 minute blocks.
Another thing I do is music. I know a 20' is roughly 6 songs. I try to focus on the song, actually focusing on the lyrics, just something to distract me.

When you are hitting 2x20 like that, time for a test :-)

I kind of like this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp2r5nP9Y6c&list=WLCADED9D9DF3DFB99&...
Yes, it's corny Kona stuff, but later in the video the amateurs crossing the finish line is inspiring. It's close to 20'...17.something..
2014-04-04 8:28 AM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Oakville

Sometimes, I don't accept that I will actually be able to do it, and I tell myself, "I will just keep going until I can't." 

This is the mental negotiation I went through with myself for Week 12 VO2-1 on Wednesday night. 

The first 3 intervals were bearable, but by the middle of the 4th my legs were screaming.

I told myself that if I get through the 4th at or close to target wattage, then I can take it easy for the 5th.

Once the 5th started, my plan was to do at least 1/3 at the target and then I wouldn't feel as guilty about dropping down 10 watts or so.

After finishing a 1/3, I figured I could hold on for another minute which would take me roughly to the half way point.

I kept this mental negotiation going until I had less than a minute left and then it was the home stretch.  The 5th interval ending up being one of the highest for the entire workout. 

2014-04-04 10:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Just attempted the last 20' test. I got to 15' and bagged. Just didn't have it today. I have a general feel for what I can achieve (255 for 20' vs. 244 for last time - that will yield a CP improvement from 224 to 235 - we'll see if I'm right!) and will try again in a week. I did dial up some RATM per Shane's suggestion and he is right...great for a hard grinding ride!

Edited by trisuppo 2014-04-04 10:06 AM
2014-04-04 10:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I also like the breaking down of the 20 minute interval into smaller chunks....I do it somewhat differently though.

For the first 5 minutes, I try to ignore the clock as much as possible.  Once it's below 15 minutes, it somehow becomes a little better....but I then try to ignore the next 5 minutes as much as possible.  The time between 10' and 8' seems to go by reasonbaly quickly for me every time -- no idea what that's about, but it's quite consistent.  The moment I have less than 8' to go, I realize I can do it.

Once I get down to 5', I start relating the time to swimming for some reason. 

"5 minutes -- 300 meters, you can do this"

"4 minutes -- that's just a 250"

"3 minutes -- reasonably fast 200....you're fine, you've got this"

"2 minutes -- easy 100 recovery"

"1:30 -- solid effort for a 100"

"1:20 -- fast 100"

"1:10 -- faster than you can ever hope to do a 100....it's really not a long period of time.  You can do this"

"One minute, you can do anything for one minute....one minute, you can do anything for one minute"

Seriously, it's kind of ridiculous, but that's what I do!  Gotta find some way to get through these intervals!

2014-04-04 10:20 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Journal Entry 17 - 4/4/14 - After a couple of months with my new owner he surprises me today with a gift. A power meter...Not just a power meter but one with Rotor 3D cranks and Praxis rings. As if this gift will make up for the countless hours crudely bolted into the torture device, my wheel spinning in endless revolutions but making no progress. No, this gift will be my revenge...I will use it to break him...to make him cry. For weeks he has guessed at his power. Taking great pride in this virtual number, a virtual number that soon will be revealed as a lie. Revenge will be swift as he begins to pedal and a cold darkness enters his thoughts. What was a warm up at 153 watts is now 120 maybe 125 for the same effort. He will push the first 20 min. interval, trying to hit his target only to be crushed by the realization that he's a weak as a new born kitten. His legs will burn, his mind will want to quit. He will look for the escape and he will take it. I will have my revenge!!!

OK, I can only imagine this is what my bike is thinking and yes I did receive the Power2Max and got it all installed. Set up was easy and I was up and running. Yes, my virtual power in trainer road is about 20 to 30 watts higher than what the new power meter is showing. I know it's no big deal but it made the workout twice as hard. Not only did I have to deal with the 20 min interval, but I had to do it at not even close to the goal on the little graph. It did make me push harder and my legs were spent and mind broken so I killed it after the first 20 min interval. Going to do Threshold 2 on Sunday but probably will drop the workout intensity to 90% and see how that goes. Glad to have the new meter but it does mean resetting the CP. I know I didn't lose wattage, the calibration was just off.

Week 12 Threshold 1: TSS 50 (Probably not really that low since the new power number) NP=192

Have a great weekend everyone.
Ron

Attachments
----------------
Ron-2014-04-05-bt-power-week-12-thr-1-882393.tcx (1233KB - 8 downloads)

2014-04-05 11:00 PM

User image

Oakville

Taking great pride in this virtual number, a virtual number that soon will be revealed as a lie. Revenge will be swift as he begins to pedal and a cold darkness enters his thoughts. What was a warm up at 153 watts is now 120 maybe 125 for the same effort. 

I'm still training with virtual power and so I laughed when I read this.  I've definitely made progress over the last 3 months, but still wonder what my true CP is.

Ignorance is bliss for the time being, but I'm preparing myself for the let down if it drops by 20 or 30 watts. 

Finished Week 12 Threshold 2 last night.  Compared to the 5 x 5 min @ 108% on Wednesday night, the 5 x 5 min @ FTP wasn't that bad. 

I did mentally tune out towards the end and forgot that there was the 10 min @ 98%.  It took a few minutes to get back into a rhythm.

PMC chart is attached.  Its back on the climb after a week off and being sick the week before. 

Testing next week, likely Monday night.

Working on a playlist for the 20 min test...  agree with Shane, Tool and RATM will be on the list and maybe some Prodigy.

Edited by Scott71 2014-04-05 11:04 PM

(PMC - Apr 5 14.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
WK12THR2.tcx (2913KB - 8 downloads)
PMC - Apr 5 14.JPG (97KB - 7 downloads)
2014-04-06 5:26 AM
in reply to: WaterRat

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by WaterRat

Journal Entry 17 - 4/4/14 - After a couple of months with my new owner he surprises me today with a gift. A power meter...Not just a power meter but one with Rotor 3D cranks and Praxis rings. As if this gift will make up for the countless hours crudely bolted into the torture device, my wheel spinning in endless revolutions but making no progress. No, this gift will be my revenge...I will use it to break him...to make him cry. For weeks he has guessed at his power. Taking great pride in this virtual number, a virtual number that soon will be revealed as a lie. Revenge will be swift as he begins to pedal and a cold darkness enters his thoughts. What was a warm up at 153 watts is now 120 maybe 125 for the same effort. He will push the first 20 min. interval, trying to hit his target only to be crushed by the realization that he's a weak as a new born kitten. His legs will burn, his mind will want to quit. He will look for the escape and he will take it. I will have my revenge!!!

OK, I can only imagine this is what my bike is thinking and yes I did receive the Power2Max and got it all installed. Set up was easy and I was up and running. Yes, my virtual power in trainer road is about 20 to 30 watts higher than what the new power meter is showing. I know it's no big deal but it made the workout twice as hard. Not only did I have to deal with the 20 min interval, but I had to do it at not even close to the goal on the little graph. It did make me push harder and my legs were spent and mind broken so I killed it after the first 20 min interval. Going to do Threshold 2 on Sunday but probably will drop the workout intensity to 90% and see how that goes. Glad to have the new meter but it does mean resetting the CP. I know I didn't lose wattage, the calibration was just off.

Week 12 Threshold 1: TSS 50 (Probably not really that low since the new power number) NP=192

Have a great weekend everyone.
Ron

Ron, I would use the old CP number and VP this week until you are ready to test. You can of course capture real power at the same time if you have a Garmin. THen when you test, test with both. If your VP went up, you improved (which it will). Plus you get your new, real numbers, to set your CP moving forward.

If it's any consolation, I just did a firmware upgrade on my Quarq and I am now running about 7watts less.

Always remember to calibrate the PM before riding.
2014-04-06 7:35 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Marc/Shane
Thanks again for all the information you've given. I feel like I have a MUCH better understanding of power and a great deal of that is what you two have taught me. I and so many others in the group, along with the lurkers, greatly appreciate it.

I was always so far behind the group in terms of actual workouts and my schedule was so varied, that I did similar workouts but few of the 'prescribed' ones. I did do testing early on and yesterday did a hard 90 minute effort outside and a recent 20Miler with 5 minute hard bursts, so I was able to get data about an equivalent long and short efforts and my CP did move up significantly. (When you start low, there is always low hanging fruit...and yes, I know my RI/IF is above 1.1 and what it means regarding my 'true' CP/FTP for my ride yesterday-thanks to you, of course)

I was ruminating again about shifting, efficiency and burning matches to get speed up on the bike. I was thinking about being aggressive vs conservative. I did a few different rides on a set course, with varied weather and winds, unfortunately, and found that for me I go faster if I actually dip into the anaerobic tank a little bit and try to get my speed back up quickly after cresting hills and even when on flats. I know that this is 'inefficient' but perhaps this is because I am a 'sprinter' class athlete. Or perhaps my AWC (battery) has enough in it to allow some bursts of power without too much drain and the benefit of speed outweighs the small cost (burned matches) of the energy drain.

I'd be interested in any thoughts you might have on this.

I added some screenshots, now that I've figured outhow to do this.
Very happy to be able to add significant run volume while coming back from an injury in Jan (all easy) while doing the bike and adding swimming. I doubt that I would have done it so effectively if I'd not learned as much about the bike/power and 'load' across the sports. I was able to push my bike PMC chart up pretty high while adding volume to the other sports by backing off when I needed to and pushing when I felt I could.

You are both terrific teachers.
Thanks again.

Edited by dtoce 2014-04-06 7:50 AM

(Screenshot 2014-04-06 07.45.33.png)

(Screenshot 2014-04-06 07.46.15.png)

(Screenshot 2014-04-06 07.44.33.png)

(Screenshot 2014-04-06 07.43.54.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screenshot 2014-04-06 07.45.33.png (55KB - 5 downloads)
Screenshot 2014-04-06 07.46.15.png (59KB - 7 downloads)
Screenshot 2014-04-06 07.44.33.png (51KB - 5 downloads)
Screenshot 2014-04-06 07.43.54.png (60KB - 6 downloads)
2014-04-07 6:06 AM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by dtoce

Marc/Shane
Thanks again for all the information you've given. I feel like I have a MUCH better understanding of power and a great deal of that is what you two have taught me. I and so many others in the group, along with the lurkers, greatly appreciate it.

I was always so far behind the group in terms of actual workouts and my schedule was so varied, that I did similar workouts but few of the 'prescribed' ones. I did do testing early on and yesterday did a hard 90 minute effort outside and a recent 20Miler with 5 minute hard bursts, so I was able to get data about an equivalent long and short efforts and my CP did move up significantly. (When you start low, there is always low hanging fruit...and yes, I know my RI/IF is above 1.1 and what it means regarding my 'true' CP/FTP for my ride yesterday-thanks to you, of course)

I was ruminating again about shifting, efficiency and burning matches to get speed up on the bike. I was thinking about being aggressive vs conservative. I did a few different rides on a set course, with varied weather and winds, unfortunately, and found that for me I go faster if I actually dip into the anaerobic tank a little bit and try to get my speed back up quickly after cresting hills and even when on flats. I know that this is 'inefficient' but perhaps this is because I am a 'sprinter' class athlete. Or perhaps my AWC (battery) has enough in it to allow some bursts of power without too much drain and the benefit of speed outweighs the small cost (burned matches) of the energy drain.

I'd be interested in any thoughts you might have on this.

I added some screenshots, now that I've figured outhow to do this.
Very happy to be able to add significant run volume while coming back from an injury in Jan (all easy) while doing the bike and adding swimming. I doubt that I would have done it so effectively if I'd not learned as much about the bike/power and 'load' across the sports. I was able to push my bike PMC chart up pretty high while adding volume to the other sports by backing off when I needed to and pushing when I felt I could.

You are both terrific teachers.
Thanks again.

I may be reading this wrong, but I suspect your CP is higher than the 215 the chart is showing below.
Do you know your threshold HR ? Your HR seems to be too low for 25 to be your CP

I have spent a lot of time in the last few months trying to better understand the aerobic/anaerobic contribution to my 5 and 20' tests. I believe I have not properly executed a 5' test to really get a good measure of my CP. I think when you do really get to the bottom of your true CP and W' you get a better feel of what burning matches is and how much of it you can do.

I use to believe I was burning matches coming close to CP for short periods of time. I don't anymore. A TP article talks about numbers like 1min@20% over FTP to 10 min at 10% over FTP. These are big surges of effort.

Looking at the W' balance stuff helped visualize it. I also did some testing taking some lactate measurements and I think I have zero'd in on my true CP and true AWC which is much bigger than I originally thought.

We have a tendency to want a big CP number. I certainly do. But what I now believe is that by overestimating I am actually hurting myself by a) training above the level I should have been targeting b) thinking I should be able to pace at 80% of a number that is too high.

2014-04-07 7:16 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
I agree with Marc that your CP is set too low based on what this workout is showing.

One of the big indicators for this is that you rode for about 95 minutes and accumulated a BikeScore of just over 200. Further, you spent a total of about an hour riding in L4 which, even broken into intervals should be a very hard effort.

Basically based on your BikeScore, you accumulated as much training stress in this workout as if you rode at CP for just over two hours.

While not an ideal way to estimate CP, you can look at your ride file and inspect the power bins and look for a drop off. For this you want to put your power into small bins (5W tends to be the best) and you are looking for the drop-off. Often an athlete will see a dramatic drop-off in the bin that is right around CP. This method is far from perfect but can give some insight into what your CP might actually be at this point.

This talks a little about this method - http://alex-cycle.blogspot.ca/2008/05/the-seven-deadly-sins.html

Shane

2014-04-07 7:25 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by gsmacleod

Basically based on your BikeScore, you accumulated as much training stress in this workout as if you rode at CP for just over two hours.

yes yes yes yes......I hadn't noticed that

there was something bugging me about your PMC chart vs number of hours on the bike......

good news is your CP is probably higher than you thought, bad news is your CTL is probably lower than you thought.
2014-04-07 8:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Unfortunately I haven't been able to do the 5 & 20 tests yet to update my CP. Since this is my first IM coming up I'm being a bit focused on following the plan as closely as possible.(only 16 weeks to go!! :0) I was hoping to try and incorporate the 20 into one of the plan workouts but the closest was a 2x20. The good news is the 2xx20 went well and I know I wouldn't have been able to hold the levels I did without the work I've been doing here.

I've attached a running and biking PMC chart from the time I started using TR and training with virtual power. The switch to actual power was Jan 1 of this year and since my FTP only dropped by less than 5% on the switch I didn't modify the old data. Running is included by calculating rTSS in a spreadsheet and manually entering the TSS values into GC. For the amount of data analysis that I wanted to do this worked out better than adding another application like WKO or Apollo. (I did demo both of those)

The dip in Sept & early Oct was following the Rev3 Maine bike crash in August which sidelined most of my running for a couple of months. I can happily say that the running has recovered since I PR'd my 5k time on a training run last week. I have definitely seen an overall improvement in the past 3+ months, I can feel the difference on the bike (even when I feel like I'm dieing on that last interval), I've seen a lower HR for equivalent efforts and overall my days haven't been shot following a long hard workout like they occasionally were in the past.

I'm still trying to catch up on reading all the referenced material when I can and digest all the information we've gotten.

Marc & Shane - Thanks again for all the effort you've put into making this group happen!

(pmc.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
pmc.JPG (161KB - 10 downloads)
2014-04-07 9:46 AM

Originally posted by marcag

Ron, I would use the old CP number and VP this week until you are ready to test. You can of course capture real power at the same time if you have a Garmin. THen when you test, test with both. If your VP went up, you improved (which it will). Plus you get your new, real numbers, to set your CP moving forward.

If it's any consolation, I just did a firmware upgrade on my Quarq and I am now running about 7watts less.

Always remember to calibrate the PM before riding.

I've got to play with the set up because when I tried to run both the VP and P2M, it did not work. I left the trainer road app as is and did not pair the new power meter. I only paired the meter with my 910. As soon as I started pedaling the heart rate in trainer road dropped out and there was no cadence or power number showing up. Verified that TR only had the heart rate monitor and GSC10 paired, rescanned for those devices, heart rate came back. Started pedaling and the heart rate dropped out again. I'll see if I can get them both working together tonight.

Ron
2014-04-07 9:47 AM

Jason,

How did the uphill TT go this past weekend?

Ron
2014-04-07 9:58 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

I may be reading this wrong, but I suspect your CP is higher than the 215 the chart is showing below.
Do you know your threshold HR ? Your HR seems to be too low for 25 to be your CP

I have spent a lot of time in the last few months trying to better understand the aerobic/anaerobic contribution to my 5 and 20' tests. I believe I have not properly executed a 5' test to really get a good measure of my CP. I think when you do really get to the bottom of your true CP and W' you get a better feel of what burning matches is and how much of it you can do.

I use to believe I was burning matches coming close to CP for short periods of time. I don't anymore. A TP article talks about numbers like 1min@20% over FTP to 10 min at 10% over FTP. These are big surges of effort.

Looking at the W' balance stuff helped visualize it. I also did some testing taking some lactate measurements and I think I have zero'd in on my true CP and true AWC which is much bigger than I originally thought.

We have a tendency to want a big CP number. I certainly do. But what I now believe is that by overestimating I am actually hurting myself by a) training above the level I should have been targeting b) thinking I should be able to pace at 80% of a number that is too high.

Marc.
As I alluded to, I am aware that the listed CP is low, which is why I mentioned that I was aware the IF on that ride was above 1.1 and what it means. I believe that some of the difference is because of the hgher power numbers I get outside. I will make adjustments now that I will be outside exclusively.

Over the winter, I will generate new data with a fresh test indoors on the trainer and use those numbers to train next winter, but it seems that there will be a jump up as one goes outside with a PM hub which will be incorporated into the 'new CP/FTP' numbers. I discussed this earlier and have decided how I'm personally going to handle it.

Anyway, thanks for looking at the numbers. I remember that TP article as it's in my files. It seems that one can wreck their race by overbiking in two different ways. Either: 1)going above FTP for too long and slowly, steadily accumulating lactate/fatigue ie racing at too high a %FTP or 2)going anaerobic too many times and either being inefficient or burning too many matches with power bursts.

I'm going to train with bursts over hills to help me deal with that better on race day and try to pick a %FTP that I can handle in training and still have a short run with goal race pace/HR.

I do know my measured LT HR from last year and my race pace HR on the bike and previous runs, so I have a pretty good idea about 'pacing' based on HR from the past. My LT HR measured last summer/fall was 147, with a peak HR of 166 (I think?). It's low but that is close to my measured max HR. I do stress tests on myself yearly (perk of being a cardiologist with a family history of heart disease) and I treat it like a race and push maximally.

I usually have tried to do the 1/2IM races at a HR of 135ish for both the bike and the run and have never 'overbiked' in the past.

Originally posted by gsmacleod

I agree with Marc that your CP is set too low based on what this workout is showing.

One of the big indicators for this is that you rode for about 95 minutes and accumulated a BikeScore of just over 200. Further, you spent a total of about an hour riding in L4 which, even broken into intervals should be a very hard effort.

While not an ideal way to estimate CP, you can look at your ride file and inspect the power bins and look for a drop off. For this you want to put your power into small bins (5W tends to be the best) and you are looking for the drop-off. Often an athlete will see a dramatic drop-off in the bin that is right around CP. This method is far from perfect but can give some insight into what your CP might actually be at this point.

This talks a little about this method - http://alex-cycle.blogspot.ca/2008/05/the-seven-deadly-sins.html

Shane

Thanks Shane for reviewing and responding. I've looked at Bikescore before and it tells me the same information as IF and the fact that my NP is greater than 105%. I also have previously looked at hte bins to get an idea of where my expected drop off was. It is good for everyone to get a handle on this, especially if you start to get fluky numbers and don't know why.

In my case, as the additional power data come in for my outside rides with higher power, there is a push in the curve to the right. This is due to the discrepency in outside/inside power. I think the most accurate way to handle this will be to repeat both 5 and 20 minute tests outside once one starts riding outside consistently. At least, that's what I'm going to do.

Will it be useful/interpretable if this is done on long hills or does it have to be flat and pushing the pace/power? It seems like cheating a bit on hills as it is so much easier to maintain higher power, especially when out of the saddle and using body weight additionally. Although in that case, you likely go anaerobic much more quickly and pay that price, though...

I suspect I will try to do the 5 minute test both ways and see if there is a big difference. I don't have enough time/energy to do two 20 minute tests that way but this will be useful information.

2014-04-07 12:09 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by dtoce

Thanks Shane for reviewing and responding. I've looked at Bikescore before and it tells me the same information as IF and the fact that my NP is greater than 105%. I also have previously looked at hte bins to get an idea of where my expected drop off was. It is good for everyone to get a handle on this, especially if you start to get fluky numbers and don't know why.

In my case, as the additional power data come in for my outside rides with higher power, there is a push in the curve to the right. This is due to the discrepency in outside/inside power. I think the most accurate way to handle this will be to repeat both 5 and 20 minute tests outside once one starts riding outside consistently. At least, that's what I'm going to do.

Will it be useful/interpretable if this is done on long hills or does it have to be flat and pushing the pace/power? It seems like cheating a bit on hills as it is so much easier to maintain higher power, especially when out of the saddle and using body weight additionally. Although in that case, you likely go anaerobic much more quickly and pay that price, though...

I suspect I will try to do the 5 minute test both ways and see if there is a big difference. I don't have enough time/energy to do two 20 minute tests that way but this will be useful information.

Redoing the tests is ideal for indoor vs outdoor but if you don't have the time or inclination, you can certainly eyeball what's going on with other means. I suspect, although I haven't used the bin method very often beyond rough analysis, that unless you are hammering up very short uphills but rather riding at a pace that is tough but sustainable, it should work fairly well.

Shane
2014-04-07 12:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by marcag We have a tendency to want a big CP number. I certainly do. But what I now believe is that by overestimating I am actually hurting myself by a) training above the level I should have been targeting b) thinking I should be able to pace at 80% of a number that is too high.

This is something I've wondered about for a while (since my failed 20' test last time, really...).

How much are you hurting yourself by targeting a CP that's actually above your true CP?  Are you talking about hurting yourself in terms of being able to recover and complete your workouts in the following days?  Or is it actually detrimental for another reason?

And how much is too much?  Say your CP is estimated to be 200, but is actually 190 -- would you be hurting yourself in this situation?  And to complicate things further, what if you're targeting a CP that's too high, but you're making the prescribed workouts?  Does that mean your CP is actually not too high?

FWIW, I think my CP is slightly on the low side as I feel like I've made improvements, but have not been able to retest due to my upcoming race.  I'll get to that shortly after, but I was very curious about this when my 5' power increased by 20+ watts, but my 20' power decreased by 6W.

2014-04-07 1:54 PM

User image

Originally posted by WaterRat Jason, How did the uphill TT go this past weekend? Ron

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=513852&posts=1&page=1

299 AP, 302 NP for 21:59.  I figured I could hit 310w but overall I was pleased with my time and placing considering how much I weigh now.  Need to shed at least 10 pounds before the end of June when I'll be climbing up Haleakala.

2014-04-07 2:52 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by WaterRat Jason, How did the uphill TT go this past weekend? Ron

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=513852&posts=1&page=1

299 AP, 302 NP for 21:59.  I figured I could hit 310w but overall I was pleased with my time and placing considering how much I weigh now.  Need to shed at least 10 pounds before the end of June when I'll be climbing up Haleakala.

Great job. I guess every ounce matters when you're trying to pull it up a hill the whole time.

Ron
2014-04-07 2:59 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ligersandtions
How much are you hurting yourself by targeting a CP that's actually above your true CP?  Are you talking about hurting yourself in terms of being able to recover and complete your workouts in the following days? 

Hurting is probably the wrong word. Sub optimal is probably more accurate.
Our goal in long course events is to be able to hold a power level for a long period of time. We would probably get more benefit from being at, or slightly below threshold for as long as possible.
An overstated CP will probably have us training more in VO2 territory than threshold.
I would bet many of us are close to true threshold when we are doing "sweet spot"

The more I train, test, train, test....I believe this is what is happening with me. I am trying to better understand the anaerobic contribution to my tests.

2014-04-07 3:06 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran

Congratulations

Did you use road or TT bike ?
Curious to know if you see any drift with your Quarq. Do you check pre and post race calibration numbers ?
2014-04-07 3:38 PM

User image

Congratulations Did you use road or TT bike ? Curious to know if you see any drift with your Quarq. Do you check pre and post race calibration numbers ?

Everyone used road bikes with the exception of a pro triathlete who always does it on his TT bike.  He'd be faster on a road bike, but I think he's too lazy to get it set up.  

I didn't check the pre and post ride numbers.  I did make sure to back pedal a few times while warming up though.

2014-04-07 3:45 PM

User image

Great job. I guess every ounce matters when you're trying to pull it up a hill the whole time. Ron

This TT and Haleakala are similar in grade.  The TT is 5.7% and Haleakala is about 5.4% average grade.  I've done some calculations through analytic cycling and it comes out to about every pound for the TT adds around 5-6 seconds to your time and every pound for Haleakala adds around 1 minute to your time.  Of course assuming the same power output.  Given the fact that I was 34 seconds off the podium in the TT, that could have been made up by losing 7 pounds...which is well within my range of weight loss with minimal to no power loss.  

2014-04-07 4:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by ligersandtions How much are you hurting yourself by targeting a CP that's actually above your true CP?  Are you talking about hurting yourself in terms of being able to recover and complete your workouts in the following days? 
Hurting is probably the wrong word. Sub optimal is probably more accurate. Our goal in long course events is to be able to hold a power level for a long period of time. We would probably get more benefit from being at, or slightly below threshold for as long as possible. An overstated CP will probably have us training more in VO2 territory than threshold. I would bet many of us are close to true threshold when we are doing "sweet spot" The more I train, test, train, test....I believe this is what is happening with me. I am trying to better understand the anaerobic contribution to my tests.

Hmmm, interesting thought.  I kinda figured if I could do 2x20' that my CP was either correct or low.  That said, every time I do a 2x20' workout, I am more and more convinced that I couldn't actually do that power for a full hour....well, unless a bear or cheetah or some other equally fearful creature was chasing me.  Then maybe....hah!

I think / hope that doing a number of race simulation rides (and short runs afterward to gauge how you truly feel) helps dial it in -- for sure better than just assuming you can do 85% of CP.  I have a slight fear that I'm going to pace my bike too conservatively and feel like I didn't put it all out there, given my run fitness isn't at a point where I can capitalize on my run ability.  But I guess it's uncommon that people feel like they had such a great run that they feel they didn't push hard enough on the bike, huh?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Rss Feed  

of 73

RELATED POSTS

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15822 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29067 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75

Started by slornow
Views: 60263 Posts: 1862

2014-05-16 5:48 PM GoldenSprocket

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : December 3, 2008
author : jasongootman
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.
date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.