BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2014-04-07 4:38 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Week 13 - Last Tests!
Originally posted by ligersandtions
better than just assuming you can do 85% of CP. 

Is that what you are targeting ?

2014-04-07 7:45 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by ligersandtions better than just assuming you can do 85% of CP. 

Probably a bit lower than that.  I know that I ran well off a 66 mile ride at 80% -- I'm going to try a similar ride this weekend targeting a little higher.  But this is based on my CP from January, which I think is probably a little low, so what's 85% according to my calcs may actually be closer to 80%.

2014-04-07 8:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by ligersandtions better than just assuming you can do 85% of CP. 

Probably a bit lower than that.  I know that I ran well off a 66 mile ride at 80% -- I'm going to try a similar ride this weekend targeting a little higher.  But this is based on my CP from January, which I think is probably a little low, so what's 85% according to my calcs may actually be closer to 80%.

Nicole...another way to look at is is to target a specific TSS.  Usually for a HIM, most people want to be in the 170-180 range in order to run well.  The weaker your running ability, the lower you want to be on that scale.  Maybe even less than 170.

The reason why you may want to use TSS instead of % FTP (or IF) is that TSS takes into account the time you are expected to be on the course.  For example...

A top pro can attain 174 TSS points by riding at 88% over the course of 2.25 hours.  TSS is calculated as IF^2 * Time (in hours) * 100.  .88^2 x 2.25 x 100 = 174.24 TSS points.

A BOP AGer can attain 166 TSS points by riding at 69% over the course of 3.5 hours.  .69^2 x 3.5 x 100 = 166.6 TSS points.  Notice how much lower intensity the AGer needs to ride at to achieve a reasonable TSS allowing them to run well.

So what you also have to factor in is the course.  St George is an extremely difficult course on both the bike and run.  So your power target will have to accommodate the fact that you may be on the bike course longer than your typical HIM, and you may need to save more energy for the run than normal.  

So lets say you want to shoot for a TSS of 165 for the St. George course to make sure you have enough for the run.  I know you've been working on your run recently, but I don't think it's your strength like it is for someone like Marc.  Now you need to figure out the IF and the time spent on the bike that will get you 165 TSS points.  This is the tricky part because it needs a lot of assumptions about weather and knowing what power translates to what speed on this specific course.

So lets just take a wild stab at it.  The top 20% in your AG on the bike were riding 2:52-3:00.  Lets split the difference at say 2:56 or 2.93 hours.  So in order to get 165 TSS points, you would have to ride at 75%.  Now does that seem reasonable that 75% of your FTP would get you a 2:56 bike split?  If not, you may have to massage the numbers a little, but hopefully you get the point I'm trying to make.  That the % of FTP you choose is very dependent on how much time you plan to spend on the bike course and how difficult the run course is in relation to your run fitness.  Almost every AGer trying to ride Savageman at 80% FTP will likely have an epic blow up.  Most would be better off riding under 70%.

ETA: As always, these ways of coming up with % of FTP should be tested in training...which you are doing...so that's good.  But instead of comparing distance (66 mile ride at X% FTP), compare time to what you expect to be on the bike at St George.  

Edited by Jason N 2014-04-07 8:57 PM
2014-04-08 5:31 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran

Nicole,

I agree with Jason that time on the course needs to be factored in. Jordan Rapp rides at 85% of CP, and his CP is quite accurate.
I also think you are underestimating your run ability. Maybe your speed is not where you want it to be, but your mileage is decent.

Play with BestBikeSplit. It will calculate AP and NP.
See what splits 80% of NP will give you vs 82 vs 85. I suspect it's a small amount and not woerth the risk of not running well.

If you pace the bike properly you will run the whole thing, maybe slightly slower than you would have liked
If you overbike you will walk MUCH slower than you would have liked.
Also factor in your swim fatigue.

If it were me, and I really believed in my ability to do 85% (which maybe you can), I would run a bit longer in a brick. For *me*, 30min isn't a good indicator. I do min 45 or more. 6miles is what I prefer.

I sincerely believe you are in GREAT shape for this race. Don't compensate for your run by overbiking. Your run is in decent shape.
Remember, this run you get to do without dogs dragging you around. You are going to ace it.

PS: before the race watch a Rinny at Kona video. That girl is a thing of beauty to watch run.

2014-04-08 12:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I agree with what both of you are saying (Jason and Marc).  I think part of my concern or questioning is stemming from the fact that I'm not sure what my actual CP is.  If I use what I estimated back in January, it's one thing....if I use what I think it would be if I tested now, it's slightly higher....if I use Marc's thought that our calculated CP is over estimated and our actual CP is closer to what we're doing for Sweet Spot rides, then my CP is somewhat significanlty lower.

I did put St. George into Best Bike Split and expect to be on the bike for 2:50 - 2:55 based on the numbers I've been playing with recently.  Based on what I've learned about my riding style over the past few months, I'm more likely to come in slightly under my target, than overshoot it....though, it may be different on race day with tapered legs, but I'm certain I can keep myself under control!

My plan for this weekend was actually to do a longish ride (2.5 - 3 hours) followed by a 60 minute run to really gauge how well I think that power target and my nutrition plan will be for the race.  I'm already watching SG weather a bit obsessively....temps look to be a little warmer than Houston at the moment, but far less humid, so I'm hoping this will be a good simulation. 

And yes, Rinny is a gorgeous runner

2014-04-08 12:29 PM

User image

Nicole, it may be a little too late to try it out now, but maybe you can look back on the data of your previous long rides.  Instead of finding the % of CP to ride at, it's probably better to find the power you were able to ride at for 2:50-2:55 and still felt capable of running well afterwards.  Then it doesn't really matter if your CP is accurate or not...you know what power you can sustain for the duration of the St George 70.3 bike course.  That's the goal.

For me, I typically ride at a very low % of FTP when I do Honu.  Probably around 78% or so.  I know my FTP is accurate because it's based on a 1 hour TT.  But I know from training that I can't hold more than 80% for 2:35-2:40 and still run well after.  At least in Hawaii heat conditions.  I also have to keep in mind that the TT my FTP is based on was done with before 8:30 am when it's still relatively cool...around 75 degrees.  The bike and run of my HIM is usually done in temps between 82 and 92 degrees when you factor in humidity.  Maybe if I targeted a cooler race I could ride much closer to 80-83%.

2014-04-08 12:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I agree with what both of you are saying (Jason and Marc).  I think part of my concern or questioning is stemming from the fact that I'm not sure what my actual CP is.  If I use what I estimated back in January, it's one thing....if I use what I think it would be if I tested now, it's slightly higher....if I use Marc's thought that our calculated CP is over estimated and our actual CP is closer to what we're doing for Sweet Spot rides, then my CP is somewhat significanlty lower.

I did put St. George into Best Bike Split and expect to be on the bike for 2:50 - 2:55 based on the numbers I've been playing with recently.  Based on what I've learned about my riding style over the past few months, I'm more likely to come in slightly under my target, than overshoot it....though, it may be different on race day with tapered legs, but I'm certain I can keep myself under control!

My plan for this weekend was actually to do a longish ride (2.5 - 3 hours) followed by a 60 minute run to really gauge how well I think that power target and my nutrition plan will be for the race.  I'm already watching SG weather a bit obsessively....temps look to be a little warmer than Houston at the moment, but far less humid, so I'm hoping this will be a good simulation. 

And yes, Rinny is a gorgeous runner

Have you done the 2x20 @CP ? If so, how did that feel ?
What impact does the swim have on you ?

Out of curiosity, how much would 10w cost you according to bestbikesplit ?
2014-04-08 12:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Jason N
I know my FTP is accurate because it's based on a 1 hour TT.

Jason, I am curious

When you did the 1hr TT what was your FTP and what do you believe your 5' power would have been at that time ?
All under same conditions (ie early morning)
2014-04-08 1:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Jason N I know my FTP is accurate because it's based on a 1 hour TT.
Jason, I am curious When you did the 1hr TT what was your FTP and what do you believe your 5' power would have been at that time ? All under same conditions (ie early morning)

The 40k TT was 262 watts over 58:10.  I was just doing the event for fun...had run 14 miles the day before...so maybe I could have squeaked out a few more watts, but I really did feel good that day.  I'd guess my 5' power (on the TT bike) would have been somewhere around 325-330.  Usually my 5' VO2 max efforts are done in the late afternoon when temps are similar to the morning.  

I'm probably a bad example though.  My power curve doesn't resemble the typical triathlete.

ETA: I also had another TT earlier that year...29ish minutes at 286w.  Further adding to the confusion.  

Edited by Jason N 2014-04-08 1:22 PM
2014-04-08 4:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

2x20' is hard, but I can force myself to do it.  It's certainly not something I look forward to! 

I think my swim is in a good place.  I can go comfortably hard and be faster than I raced last year, but not so hard to gas myself for the rest of the day....at least that's how I feel.  That said, I think Ben once commented that he didn't realize how much the swim took out of him until he had a race where the swim got canceled. 

As for looking at Best Bike Split, here are various results:

NP 80% (154W) with max set at 100%: 2:52:24 (TSS 180)

NP 85% (164W) with max set at 100%: 2:47:10 (TSS 200)

NP 75% (145W) with max set at 100%: 2:57:47 (TSS 167)

So 10W is about 5 min.  I know it's not fair to compare Vineman to St. George for a number of reason (the course difficulty seems comparable....putting in the same numbers as above, the two courses are within 2 minutes of each other.....but I realize that I a) didn't train the run last year and thus didn't have to consider bike pacing, b) didn't bike with power so I have no idea what I actually did, and c) SG's run course is far more difficult), but that doesn't change the fact that I don't want to have a slower time this year than last year (2:54:51), as it'll make all this bike training feel like it was for naught. 

I feel like somewhere around 155W will leave me able to run reasonably well....I think anything higher than 160W will be sub-optimal.  I'm not confident enough in my run to really sandbag the bike, as I don't know that it will result in a great run still!

2014-04-08 8:03 PM

Well got the new power meter and virtual power to play nice together. Ran virtual in trainer road and collected the P2M data in the 910xt. This was the Week 12 Threshold 2 and it went well. I was able to hold above goal 1 to 5 watts for all of the intervals. I went from 172.5 to 170 cranks with the power meter. I left the seat the same as I feel I might have been a touch too high. I had a little knee twinge in todays workout so I think I will go up 1mm but probably not the full 2.5 and see how it goes. Amazing that 2.5mm can really make a difference.

Virtual Results:
TSS=95
NP=212
Average Power=198
Average Cadence=85

Power2Max Results:
NP=185
Average Power=170
Average Cadence=85
Left/Right Balance=53%/47%

So it looks like about a 28 watt difference between virtual and real. That was about what I was seeing on the displays during the ride as well. I know the left/right balance data is still somewhat of a "how do we use that" but it was interesting to see the left leg being alpha.

Later,
Ron

Attachments
----------------
Ron-2014-04-08-bt-power-week-12-thr-2-890333 (1).tcx (1992KB - 7 downloads)

2014-04-09 5:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

2x20' is hard, but I can force myself to do it.  It's certainly not something I look forward to! 

I think my swim is in a good place.  I can go comfortably hard and be faster than I raced last year, but not so hard to gas myself for the rest of the day....at least that's how I feel.  That said, I think Ben once commented that he didn't realize how much the swim took out of him until he had a race where the swim got canceled. 

As for looking at Best Bike Split, here are various results:

NP 80% (154W) with max set at 100%: 2:52:24 (TSS 180)

NP 85% (164W) with max set at 100%: 2:47:10 (TSS 200)

NP 75% (145W) with max set at 100%: 2:57:47 (TSS 167)

So 10W is about 5 min.  I know it's not fair to compare Vineman to St. George for a number of reason (the course difficulty seems comparable....putting in the same numbers as above, the two courses are within 2 minutes of each other.....but I realize that I a) didn't train the run last year and thus didn't have to consider bike pacing, b) didn't bike with power so I have no idea what I actually did, and c) SG's run course is far more difficult), but that doesn't change the fact that I don't want to have a slower time this year than last year (2:54:51), as it'll make all this bike training feel like it was for naught. 

I feel like somewhere around 155W will leave me able to run reasonably well....I think anything higher than 160W will be sub-optimal.  I'm not confident enough in my run to really sandbag the bike, as I don't know that it will result in a great run still!

You have done several rehearsals and have the best feel of what is sustainable.
I don't think 5w more or 5w less can be best debated by us. Go with what you have confidence. You can always adjust your run pace.

I have never tried this but I have heard of people running 30min before the bike and then after.
2014-04-09 5:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Jason N
ETA: I also had another TT earlier that year...29ish minutes at 286w.  Further adding to the confusion.  

You may just be an anaerobic animal.
2014-04-09 5:40 AM
in reply to: WaterRat

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by WaterRat

Left/Right Balance=53%/47%

That was about what I was seeing on the displays during the ride as well. I know the left/right balance data is still somewhat of a "how do we use that" but it was interesting to see the left leg being alpha.

Jonnyo, who really knows his stuff, suggested in another thread to put your Garmin to display l/r power and consciously try to get it to 50/50 as you are riding.

It will be interesting to see if fit changes it. While 2.5mm cranks should make little difference, if you are at the limit, they can.
I would go up the full 2.5 mm. This will give you 5mm more at top of the pedal cycle and open up your hip angle.
2014-04-09 9:31 PM

User image

Oakville

Finished the 5 minute test tonight - an increase of 10 watts over the last test, going from 270 to 280 watts. HR peaked at 180.

I can honestly say that I couldn't have gone any longer.  I started at my old 5 minute power and gradually increased throughout.  I was planning to hold at maximum power for 5 to 10 seconds after the interval to bump up the numbers a bit. 

No way...  as soon as the timer hit 35:00 I basically collapsed.

It literally took 2 to 3 minutes for me to catch my breath again. 

Planning on doing the 20 minute test on Friday.  I need 248 watts just to hold my current CP of 237 watts.  

I'll need some caffeine, a good playlist and some Kona highlights on youtube to make it through.

Attachments
----------------
WK13-5MIN.tcx (1640KB - 8 downloads)
2014-04-10 5:56 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Scott71

Finished the 5 minute test tonight - an increase of 10 watts over the last test, going from 270 to 280 watts. HR peaked at 180.

I can honestly say that I couldn't have gone any longer.  I started at my old 5 minute power and gradually increased throughout.  I was planning to hold at maximum power for 5 to 10 seconds after the interval to bump up the numbers a bit. 

No way...  as soon as the timer hit 35:00 I basically collapsed.

It literally took 2 to 3 minutes for me to catch my breath again. 

Planning on doing the 20 minute test on Friday.  I need 248 watts just to hold my current CP of 237 watts.  

I'll need some caffeine, a good playlist and some Kona highlights on youtube to make it through.

The fact you know you gave it 100% is critical. By doing so, I believe you will have a more accurate CP, which I strongly believe is more important than a high CP.

My bets are on a very strong 20min test

I have a 22min TT next week. Should be fun. The snow is 'almost' gone.

2014-04-10 3:28 PM

User image

Oakville

A question for the group.  I've been riding on an Adamo Road saddle for over a year now and although its comfortable enough, I can't say that I love it.

There was a thread along this line in TT about some lousy experiences with Adamo and a few recommendations for other saddles.

My local LBS had the Profile Design Tri Stryke for only $70 so I decided I'd give it a go.  Will be testing it out next week after the 20 minute test this weekend.

http://www.profile-design.com/profile-design/products/saddles/chromoly-saddles

Prior to switching to the Adamo, I had stock Felt B16 saddle and would ride fairly aggressively on the nose and slightly left off-center.

My question to the group is how do you typically race in aero - quite forward on the nose or less aggressively back towards the middle of the saddle?

If on the nose, would you hold this position the entire race?

I'm curious where everyone's "sweet spot" is.

The cut-aways on the Tri Stryke are towards the middle of the saddle, so I'm guessing that is where it was designed to ride.

Although the nose is padded so it can probably be ridden either way.

Scott

2014-04-10 4:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

A question for the group.  I've been riding on an Adamo Road saddle for over a year now and although its comfortable enough, I can't say that I love it.

There was a thread along this line in TT about some lousy experiences with Adamo and a few recommendations for other saddles.

My local LBS had the Profile Design Tri Stryke for only $70 so I decided I'd give it a go.  Will be testing it out next week after the 20 minute test this weekend.

Prior to switching to the Adamo, I had stock Felt B16 saddle and would ride fairly aggressively on the nose and slightly left off-center.

My question to the group is how do you typically race in aero - quite forward on the nose or less aggressively back towards the middle of the saddle?

The cut-aways on the Tri Stryke are towards the middle of the saddle, so I'm guessing that is where it was designed to ride.

Scott

I ride an Adamo so there really isn't much riding on the nose. I used to ride on the nose with my Fizik.

I guess there are two things. There is where your body/groin/hip is relative to the bottom bracket and where you place the seat to be comfortable.

I use to ride quite steep, ie seat very forward. I have backed up quite a bit. I would have to check but my adamo is about 5cm behind the BB. My Fizik used to be 2 behind and I was more on the nose. But the Fizik is much longer and a 3cm difference in front of saddle to BB puts my body in about the same position.
2014-04-10 8:24 PM

User image

Oakville

I have backed up quite a bit. I would have to check but my adamo is about 5cm behind the BB. My Fizik used to be 2 behind and I was more on the nose. But the Fizik is much longer and a 3cm difference in front of saddle to BB puts my body in about the same position.

I just checked and the nose of the Adamo is about 4 cm behind the BB, but I basically have it as far forward on the rails as possible.

I also did an updated pic on the Position Inspector on 'triracebook.com' and it shows an effective seat angle of between 80 and just 81 degrees depending on where I put the hip marker.

The various angles are attached.  Everything seems to be within the applicable ranges.  I know that it suggests I can go lower in the front.

(Tri Angles - Apr 10 14.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Tri Angles - Apr 10 14.JPG (35KB - 9 downloads)
2014-04-11 7:43 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
I ride a Tri Stryke and this picture is pretty much how I will ride through the entire bike leg:

http://zoomphoto.ca/viewphoto/12699-103-12248623/1/

This is an Oly but I've done training rides in a very similar position locked into aero for 60-70km. I'm pretty much on the nose the entire time unless I'm riding easy or on the pursuit bars when I will slide back and put my sit bones on the wider part of the saddle.

Shane
2014-04-11 8:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Maine

Scott

I had the Adamo Road on my road bike and transferred it over to my B16 when I bought the tri bike last year. At the time I wasn't overly happy with but was hoping a good fit would help. As I started increasing the mileage I grew to hate the Adamo. I just could never find the right position with it. I picked up a Cobb Vflow max & put that on. A few trainer rides to get it dialed in and my first ride on the road was over 70 miles. Amazing difference.

I ride the Cobb relatively close to the nose. The design also allows me to slide back a little when I'm on the bullhorns. I think the ability to shift position a little more has helped.

2014-04-11 10:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I also ride a Tri Stryke (have ridden an Adamo Road, Cobb V-flow Plus, Adamo Attack, and Hilo Bontrager....I'm like Goldilocks with saddles!).

When I road the Adamos, I was pretty much as far forward as possible (desperately trying to find a place that wasn't quite so wide!).  On the Tri Stryke, I sit a bit further back, kind of in the middle of the cut out, but phyisically I'm oriented the same as I was on the Adamo....just that the saddle is a bit further forward.  Hope that makes sense.

FWIW, the Tri Stryke was my saving grace on the bike.  I loved cycling, but couln't stand the idea of being on the bike for 100+ miles or anything like that.  With the Tri Stryke, most of that discomfort is gone (of course, it's not quite as comfortable as sitting on my couch at home....but I didn't expect that!).

2014-04-11 10:55 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Scott

There's definitely a sweet spot with using ISM saddles.  I've used the Race and now the Prologue.  You have to make sure when in aero you that your Perineum is at the tip of the saddle.  I also have had to tilt my seat down more that I thought, when I did it was BINGO!  When riding sitting up then you can slide back some to get the sit bones on the softer parts of the saddle. What I like about the Prologue vs. Race/Road is that the tip rolls off (not as abrupt), its a bit narrower at the tip ends, and IIRC the rails are a bit longer.

2014-04-11 2:37 PM

User image

I ride an Adamo race saddle on my tri bike.  The nose is probably within 2 cm of the center of the BB, but it's not all the way forward as far as the seat rails.  My tri bike is a P2 and I'm using the forward position (of the two holes) on the seat post.

This image pretty accurately illustrates how I ride on the saddle.  The boys just hanging over the tip of the saddle.

(Adamo Position.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Adamo Position.jpg (16KB - 7 downloads)
2014-04-13 11:27 AM

Knocked out the hard 20 min test this morning and had a solid performance. Started at my old 20 min test power and eased it up gradually until the last 5 min where I made an aggressive push. Max heart rate was 174 which is right in line with my last 20 min test so I feel I gave it the same effort and I feel I was pretty much toasted at the end. I'll give a day or 2 of rest and hit the 5 min to see what the new CP is. Like everyone else, I really appreciate the time the mentors have spent with this group. I know my gains would not be nearly as impressive without their input.

Old 20 Min test: 254

New 20 Minute test on virtual power: 273 (19 Watt Gain WOOHOO!!!!)
New 20 Minute Test on Power2Max: 242

Have a good Sunday.

Ron

Attachments
----------------
Ron-2014-04-13-bt-power-week13-test-20-898716.tcx (1705KB - 6 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Rss Feed  

of 73

RELATED POSTS

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15727 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 28933 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75

Started by slornow
Views: 60152 Posts: 1862

2014-05-16 5:48 PM GoldenSprocket

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : December 3, 2008
author : jasongootman
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.
date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.