Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2014-01-21 3:35 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Subject: RE: 2014 Rookies - CLOSED
Originally posted by Jason N

I hope everyone had a good weekend, and maybe a long weekend if you got MLK day.

How about a new topic.  Transistions!!!

Transitions can be one of the most underated parts of triathlon.  Not only is it an area where we can save time during races by being quick and efficient...it's also an area that can really mess up our races if we overlook something.

So before I go into what I do for transitions, I'd like to know what everyone's plan is.  Have you even thought about it yet?  

I have thoguht about it. Based on my mini sprint experince last year.

It is unlikely that I will have a wetsuit for this season althoguh an upgrade to SPD peddals and shoes is on the cards.

Transition planning looks like this:

Scout the zone before the race (I like to be early) and have research done online to know my entrances and exits.
My bike is big and so it sometimes rests when on the support bar (doesnt hang) so experiment with a good fit.
Have a list of gear needed the day before and make sure it is all packed.
Lack of wetsuit means I will likely go with a trisuit for the whole event.

Execution:

Out of the swim.
T1 put on Helmet (always first), socks (powdered), bike shoes, sunglasses, race belt....grab bike and run

Off the bike
T2 hang bike, helmet off, shoes off, run shoes on, grab drink, hydrate as I leave T2

I dont think I can go sockless nor do I have any experience with flying bike starts. Could not care less about towelling off so should be fairly quick. Might experiment this year with lace fasteners.

I plan to have 2 full home trials before my first event this year so will be simulating this at least once or twice. My backpack is luminous orange so failry easy to spot in a crowd.

What am I missing?

2014-01-22 8:15 AM

User image

Hello Everyone!

I am back from vacation. Took a full week off of run/bike/swim and had a great time eating bad food, walking around museums, and even took in a concert!

But back to reality....tweaked my lower back carrying luggage but still jogged 5 miles this morning. Wasn't going to but glad I did because my back feel s much better!

So what did I miss? Anyone have any races or anything planned soon? It looks like it's been quiet except for the exciting baby news. Congratulations Dan!

Donna
2014-01-22 10:17 AM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by luvschips

Anyone have any races or anything planned soon?
Donna

Maybe this 10k is on the cards:

http://niagararunningseries.com/races/grimsby/

3 and half weeks to get some run miles in. Might not be a PR!
2014-01-22 1:38 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by badmo77a
Originally posted by Jason N

I hope everyone had a good weekend, and maybe a long weekend if you got MLK day.

How about a new topic.  Transistions!!!

Transitions can be one of the most underated parts of triathlon.  Not only is it an area where we can save time during races by being quick and efficient...it's also an area that can really mess up our races if we overlook something.

So before I go into what I do for transitions, I'd like to know what everyone's plan is.  Have you even thought about it yet?  

I have thoguht about it. Based on my mini sprint experince last year. It is unlikely that I will have a wetsuit for this season althoguh an upgrade to SPD peddals and shoes is on the cards. Transition planning looks like this: Scout the zone before the race (I like to be early) and have research done online to know my entrances and exits. My bike is big and so it sometimes rests when on the support bar (doesnt hang) so experiment with a good fit. Have a list of gear needed the day before and make sure it is all packed. Lack of wetsuit means I will likely go with a trisuit for the whole event. Execution: Out of the swim. T1 put on Helmet (always first), socks (powdered), bike shoes, sunglasses, race belt....grab bike and run Off the bike T2 hang bike, helmet off, shoes off, run shoes on, grab drink, hydrate as I leave T2 I dont think I can go sockless nor do I have any experience with flying bike starts. Could not care less about towelling off so should be fairly quick. Might experiment this year with lace fasteners. I plan to have 2 full home trials before my first event this year so will be simulating this at least once or twice. My backpack is luminous orange so failry easy to spot in a crowd. What am I missing?

Looks good overall.  i like to put my sunglasses on before my helmet (glasses sit in the helmet) as I find it a but cumbersome to get them on properly under the helmet.  

As for sockless, that's something you would want to practice before trying it in a race.  What about sockless on the bike and socks for the run?  I almost always ride sockless (unless it's cold) and I find it easier to get socks on in T2 when my feet aren't dripping wet from the swim.

flying mounts and dismounts are something else you will want to spend some time practicing before every trying it in a race.  If you do decide to give it a whirl, you can practice it every time you go out for a ride!

2014-01-23 1:51 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by axteraa
Looks good overall.  i like to put my sunglasses on before my helmet (glasses sit in the helmet) as I find it a but cumbersome to get them on properly under the helmet.  

As for sockless, that's something you would want to practice before trying it in a race.  What about sockless on the bike and socks for the run?  I almost always ride sockless (unless it's cold) and I find it easier to get socks on in T2 when my feet aren't dripping wet from the swim.

flying mounts and dismounts are something else you will want to spend some time practicing before every trying it in a race.  If you do decide to give it a whirl, you can practice it every time you go out for a ride!

Sunglasses prior to helmet makes sense.

Will wait to see how my new cycle shoes fit to see if I can go sockless after T1.

Flying dismount is one thing. You practice them constantly when you are a 10 year old coming home. Ditching the bike every which way at the very last second before home. Flying mounts are a different story. Watching some ITU events I wonder how the guys manage not to crush their (balls).
2014-01-23 4:41 PM

User image

Phoenix, Arizona
What tips/tricks do you guys have for transitions? I haven't done one yet.....I'm stressing a bit. I'm worried I won't find my bike, I'll go to the wrong place, I'll forget something......you name it, I'm worried about it. I'll practice plenty before my 1st tri, and I've read lots, but I always like to hear everyone else's thoughts! What do you have on hand that I haven't thought of or read about? Is there anything that you really don't need? Is there a limit to how much you can bring? I tend to pack for disasters if leaving my house for 5 minutes....don't judge! ;-)

2014-01-23 5:54 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by badmo77a
Originally posted by axteraa Looks good overall.  i like to put my sunglasses on before my helmet (glasses sit in the helmet) as I find it a but cumbersome to get them on properly under the helmet.  

Sunglasses prior to helmet makes sense. Will wait to see how my new cycle shoes fit to see if I can go sockless after T1. Flying dismount is one thing. You practice them constantly when you are a 10 year old coming home. Ditching the bike every which way at the very last second before home. Flying mounts are a different story. Watching some ITU events I wonder how the guys manage not to crush their (balls).

I don't do a full flying mount.  I have my cranks setup horizontal with the left one facing forward.  I run past the mount line, put both hands on the bars, step on the left shoe while pushing off with my right and swing my right leg over the saddle.  It may not be quite as fast as a flying mount but it's a heck of a lot more consistent and no body parts are in danger of being crushed!

2014-01-23 6:31 PM
in reply to: parit50

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by parit50 What tips/tricks do you guys have for transitions? I haven't done one yet.....I'm stressing a bit. I'm worried I won't find my bike, I'll go to the wrong place, I'll forget something......you name it, I'm worried about it. I'll practice plenty before my 1st tri, and I've read lots, but I always like to hear everyone else's thoughts! What do you have on hand that I haven't thought of or read about? Is there anything that you really don't need? Is there a limit to how much you can bring? I tend to pack for disasters if leaving my house for 5 minutes....don't judge! ;-)

The KISS principle very much applies to transitions, you should only have what you need in there.  You can pack for disaster and have it in your car in case you need something BEFORE the race.  

In all likelihood you will have a very small space to put your stuff so no room for extras.  Think about what you will be carrying with you during the race.  You will get out of the water, put on your glasses, helmet, bike shoes if not already clipped in, maybe socks, race number if required.  When you get back from the bike, you will put on your run shoes, hat/visor if you wear one, maybe socks.  Other than everything like that, the only other thing you might want is a small towel folded up to put your stuff on.  I personally don't do this but many do.

You want to set everything up so you can quickly get to it and put it on.  I have my helmet sitting on my aerobars upside down with the straps hanging out to the sides and my sunglasses inside with the arms unfolded.  Shoes are already clipped in and i don't do socks so basically just take my wetsuit off, glasses on, helmet on, grab the bike and go.  Coming off the bike, I rack it, helmet comes off  then if I am wearing socks (longer races) they are rolled up on top of my run shoes.  Socks on, shoes on, grab my watch and visor and start running and put them on while I run.  Basically you want to lay things out in the order you will put them on.

Before the race, while setting up your transition area, you should walk through the whole process from entering T1 from the swim and figure out how you are getting to your bike.  Are you running up the middle and then going down a side isle or immediately going over to your row and then down?  Count the number of rows and look for some sort of landmark you can use - make sure it's something permanent that won't get removed.  The last race I did had a tree at the end of my row and it was the only one so it was easy.  Do the same for when you will be coming back with your bike as it could be from a different direction altogether.

Practice ahead of time!  Before my one of my races my coach had me do a workout where I would setup a full transition area and then practice my T1, go out on the bike and do a short ride at race pace - I forget the exact number but something like 5-10 mins - and then dismount and do a practice of T2 and do a 5 min run at race pace.  Then take a short break and setup the transition area again and repeat.  I think it was 5-6 times through.  It's a tough workout and you get lots of practice at the same time!

Well, I said KISS and then I wrote up a long drawn out message - LOL.  I hope that helps and i didn't forget anything which is highly likely....

2014-01-23 9:26 PM

User image

Wet suit arrived!

Tried it on and wondered why it was choking me....realized it was on BACKWARDS! HA HA! Getting it on is one thing, but taking it off is another. I have been reading what has been posted about transitions and realize taking off the wet suit takes practice. It takes a LONG time to take off and I am afraid of tearing it. But it makes my 49 year body look amazing and wondering if I could wear it to work....

Also, after the wet suit comes off, do you have to be careful of how you fold it? Or do you all just throw it down and move on to the bike? I was also thinking of putting regular pedals on for the bike portion so I wouldn't have to worry about putting on different shoes. Any ideas about that?

Now that I got my wetsuit and it fits I am signing up for my first "championship" tri on April 6. Most worried about the 500 m open water swim and taking off this dang wet suit!

Thanks,
Donna
2014-01-24 12:15 AM

Thanks for the info. Can you explain more what you mean about the cleats on the shoe having a neutral alignment? Is there a graph or something somewhere that explains what that look likes?

I also would like clip on shoes. I have accepted that I will probably fall a couple of times using them until I become more comfortable with them. Any tips on how to practice with the clip on shoes?

Thanks,

Kelly
2014-01-24 2:48 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by luvschips Wet suit arrived! Tried it on and wondered why it was choking me....realized it was on BACKWARDS! HA HA! Getting it on is one thing, but taking it off is another. I have been reading what has been posted about transitions and realize taking off the wet suit takes practice. It takes a LONG time to take off and I am afraid of tearing it. But it makes my 49 year body look amazing and wondering if I could wear it to work.... Also, after the wet suit comes off, do you have to be careful of how you fold it? Or do you all just throw it down and move on to the bike? I was also thinking of putting regular pedals on for the bike portion so I wouldn't have to worry about putting on different shoes. Any ideas about that? Now that I got my wetsuit and it fits I am signing up for my first "championship" tri on April 6. Most worried about the 500 m open water swim and taking off this dang wet suit! Thanks, Donna

Donna, when the wetsuit is wet it will come off a lot easier.  I'm not careful with mine during a race, just throw it on the ground under the bike.  Just be sure you don't put it somewhere that it will be in another competitor's way.

Regular platforms may make things easier with shoes but they will likely make you slower over all (regular shoes lose a lot of power due to the flexing of the sole) and if you haven't trained that way your feet may not like it and cause you some grief (nothing new on race day!).  You just need to practice getting the bikes shoes on and off quickly and you'll be good!

2014-01-24 2:59 AM
in reply to: Lady Magoo

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Lady Magoo Thanks for the info. Can you explain more what you mean about the cleats on the shoe having a neutral alignment? Is there a graph or something somewhere that explains what that look likes? I also would like clip on shoes. I have accepted that I will probably fall a couple of times using them until I become more comfortable with them. Any tips on how to practice with the clip on shoes? Thanks, Kelly

Kelly, there was a post in the regular triathlon forum recently that may help with cleat positioning.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=509535

2014-01-24 10:12 AM

User image

Phoenix, Arizona

Originally posted by Lady Magoo Thanks for the info. Can you explain more what you mean about the cleats on the shoe having a neutral alignment? Is there a graph or something somewhere that explains what that look likes? I also would like clip on shoes. I have accepted that I will probably fall a couple of times using them until I become more comfortable with them. Any tips on how to practice with the clip on shoes? Thanks, Kelly

Kelly, there was a post in the regular triathlon forum recently that may help with cleat positioning.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=509535

Hey Kelly!
I am by no means an expert, but I just started with clipless pedals. I sat in my living room for 3 days, in a doorway, watching tv & just clipping in & out. I tried all different ways & positions. Then, I worked up the courage to go down to the park, after dark (fewer witnesses!). I found a nice grassy area, clipped 1 foot in, & promptly fell right over. :-) After that I was pretty good! I rode all over the grass, then graduated to sidewalks. I just kept clipping in & out, building up a bit of speed & then stopping fast, turning, everything I could think of. For me, it was a lot easier without an audience. After 2 nights in the park, I took it to the street! I fell one time in the street, but I was on my way home & super tired anyway. I think I forgot I was clipped in! I'm not sure what you're supposed to do, but I've been leaving 1 foot in when I stop. It seems easier to me, unless I know I'll be stopped for a while.

I'll probably change my cleat tension & position as I figure things out, but they're just kind of in the middle now.
2014-01-24 12:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by luvschipsWet suit arrived!Tried it on and wondered why it was choking me....realized it was on BACKWARDS! HA HA! Getting it on is one thing, but taking it off is another. I have been reading what has been posted about transitions and realize taking off the wet suit takes practice. It takes a LONG time to take off and I am afraid of tearing it. But it makes my 49 year body look amazing and wondering if I could wear it to work....Also, after the wet suit comes off, do you have to be careful of how you fold it? Or do you all just throw it down and move on to the bike? I was also thinking of putting regular pedals on for the bike portion so I wouldn't have to worry about putting on different shoes. Any ideas about that?Now that I got my wetsuit and it fits I am signing up for my first "championship" tri on April 6. Most worried about the 500 m open water swim and taking off this dang wet suit!Thanks,Donna
What are you doing when you remove the wetsuit? It's easiest and fastest to take it off inside out -- meaning that once it's off, it's completely inside out. I unzip, pull my arms out (now the outside of the sleeves are visible to you), grab the torso of the suit and push it down as far as I can, then I step on it with one foot as I'm pulling the other leg out....do the same thing with the other foot and repeat as necessary to get both feet out. Sometimes I need to use my fingers to get the ankle of the suit over my heel, but most often it just comes off with the stepping action. The inside of the suit is far less fragile than the outside...you can yank on it a bit more and you can toss it on the ground of your transition area (in your space, of course!). I think there are videos on YouTube showing this process. It can be quite quick with a bit of practice.
2014-01-24 10:58 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by luvschipsWet suit arrived!Tried it on and wondered why it was choking me....realized it was on BACKWARDS! HA HA! Getting it on is one thing, but taking it off is another. I have been reading what has been posted about transitions and realize taking off the wet suit takes practice. It takes a LONG time to take off and I am afraid of tearing it. But it makes my 49 year body look amazing and wondering if I could wear it to work....Also, after the wet suit comes off, do you have to be careful of how you fold it? Or do you all just throw it down and move on to the bike? I was also thinking of putting regular pedals on for the bike portion so I wouldn't have to worry about putting on different shoes. Any ideas about that?Now that I got my wetsuit and it fits I am signing up for my first "championship" tri on April 6. Most worried about the 500 m open water swim and taking off this dang wet suit!Thanks,Donna
What are you doing when you remove the wetsuit? It's easiest and fastest to take it off inside out -- meaning that once it's off, it's completely inside out. I unzip, pull my arms out (now the outside of the sleeves are visible to you), grab the torso of the suit and push it down as far as I can, then I step on it with one foot as I'm pulling the other leg out....do the same thing with the other foot and repeat as necessary to get both feet out. Sometimes I need to use my fingers to get the ankle of the suit over my heel, but most often it just comes off with the stepping action. The inside of the suit is far less fragile than the outside...you can yank on it a bit more and you can toss it on the ground of your transition area (in your space, of course!). I think there are videos on YouTube showing this process. It can be quite quick with a bit of practice.

Thank you! I think the hardest part of being new to this is 1. getting in the way of serious competitiors and 2) Not knowing the "etiquette" so everyone else has a good race.

I think the etiquette thing is hanging me up the most...
2014-01-25 4:42 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

It's good that you are thinking about the etiquette but don't get hung up about it.  The big things are pretty simple.  On the bike,

- don't draft
- stay to the right unless you are passing
- before you move left to pass, do a quick shoulder check to make sure it is safe
- never pass on the right

* most of those aren't just etiquette they are rules but in my opinion they fall under etiquette as well as they can have a big impact on your fellow competitors.

On the run, just be aware of what is going on around you.  Don't make sudden changes in direction without checking to make sure you aren't cutting someone off.

There are likely other etiquette things but that's what popped into my head early on a Saturday before my coffee kicked in.  

2014-01-25 4:46 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

On the subject of drafting from my message above, does everyone understand the drafting rules?  They vary slightly for different countries and race organizations but the basics are the same.  I think it's an important rule to understand and often race directors just skim over it (at least around here) and simply say "don't draft".

Can someone explain it to me as you understand it? 

2014-01-25 12:22 PM

User image

Phoenix, Arizona

On the subject of drafting from my message above, does everyone understand the drafting rules?  They vary slightly for different countries and race organizations but the basics are the same.  I think it's an important rule to understand and often race directors just skim over it (at least around here) and simply say "don't draft".

Please, tell me more! I've never even really done a group ride. Maybe tomorrow! I know what drafting is, but I don't know how it works for rules. Like, riding in a small group & you're behind someone else.....when is it drafting?
And then there's the whole pace line thing, and half-wheeling......maybe I'll skip tomorrow!!!!
2014-01-25 6:52 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by parit50

Please, tell me more! I've never even really done a group ride. Maybe tomorrow! I know what drafting is, but I don't know how it works for rules. Like, riding in a small group & you're behind someone else.....when is it drafting? And then there's the whole pace line thing, and half-wheeling......maybe I'll skip tomorrow!!!!

Here is a list of the most common rules violations according to USAT.  http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/rulebook/most-common-violations.aspx

Looking at #5 - that page says to keep at least 3 bike lengths between you and the cyclist in front of you, the official rulebook says 7 meters from the front of the bike ahead of you.  If you get closer than that, you MUST complete a pass - it's not enough to just drop back, even if you accidentally got too close.  You have 15 seconds to complete the pass and as soon as your front wheel gets past the front wheel of the person you are passing, it becomes their responsibility to drop back out of the draft zone.  

2014-01-25 9:49 PM

Thanks for the tips. Practicing indoors sounds like a great idea. Also like that grass first idea!
2014-01-25 9:50 PM

Thanks for the tips. Practicing indoors sounds like a great idea. Also like that grass first idea!
Kelly

2014-01-25 9:51 PM

Thanks, Arend. I appreciate the help!
2014-01-26 8:16 PM

Wow! This was a great walk through on transitions! Thanks.

I have looked at different race descriptions and haven't been able to find anything out about the etiquette ( or rules ) about whether or not you can run from the water to the bike or if you have to walk, where you can start riding or if you have to push your bike for a certain amount of time and if you can run out of the bike transition right after racking or if there are certain areas where running is a no-no.

Also, and I apologize for not being able to locate where I read this- ( so much to learn) someone, was it Jason,? said they had a coupon discount code for a wetsuit or tri suit? It IS called a tri suit isn't it? I was thinking of wearing the slick, do everything in the same outfit without changing outfit is the way to go. I will be swimming in a lake and it probably will be pretty warm so, I wonder if I will even want one? I am someone that runs in shorts and a T-shirt during winter races when it seems like everyone else is wearing knee length or full length tights and long sleeves. I just like to feel " light."

Thank you, everyone, for all of your wonderful comments, ideas, tips and knowledge. You all rock!

Kelly
2014-01-27 2:56 AM
in reply to: Lady Magoo

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Lady Magoo Wow! This was a great walk through on transitions! Thanks. I have looked at different race descriptions and haven't been able to find anything out about the etiquette ( or rules ) about whether or not you can run from the water to the bike or if you have to walk, where you can start riding or if you have to push your bike for a certain amount of time and if you can run out of the bike transition right after racking or if there are certain areas where running is a no-no.

Great questions!  Generally speaking you can (and should) run from the water to your bike and also from your bike after racking it in T2.  It's possible there will be race specific exceptions to this where the RD would mandate walking for safety reasons (I'm not sure what they might be but it's possible).

When you get your bike off the rack in T1, you cannot immediately start riding it.  You have to run it out of the transition area (another good skill to practice) and once you exit there will be a line that you have to cross before you start riding.  There will usually be volunteers at the line indicating where you can mount your bike.  At the end of the bike there will be another line that you must dismount prior to.  Sometimes it's the same line as the mount line but not always, it depends on how the course and transition area are designed.

Also, and I apologize for not being able to locate where I read this- ( so much to learn) someone, was it Jason,? said they had a coupon discount code for a wetsuit or tri suit? It IS called a tri suit isn't it? I was thinking of wearing the slick, do everything in the same outfit without changing outfit is the way to go. I will be swimming in a lake and it probably will be pretty warm so, I wonder if I will even want one? I am someone that runs in shorts and a T-shirt during winter races when it seems like everyone else is wearing knee length or full length tights and long sleeves. I just like to feel " light." Thank you, everyone, for all of your wonderful comments, ideas, tips and knowledge. You all rock! Kelly

I can give you a 60% off coupon code for an Xterra wetsuit if you want but if it's a trisuit that you want then it won't be any help to you.

You are right about a trisuit, you wear it for the duration of the race so no need to change anything.  It doesn't provide any warmth for the swim though so I think you are confusing a wetsuit and trisuit a bit.  A wetsuit is for the swim portion of the race only and it serves two purposes.  It keeps you warm but it also provides buoyancy and most people swim faster in one, some people are a lot faster.  Because of the increase in speed, most people will wear a wetsuit in a race if it is legal to do so.  That said you certainly don't have to wear one if you don't want to!

2014-01-27 8:14 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Originally posted by parit50

Please, tell me more! I've never even really done a group ride. Maybe tomorrow! I know what drafting is, but I don't know how it works for rules. Like, riding in a small group & you're behind someone else.....when is it drafting? And then there's the whole pace line thing, and half-wheeling......maybe I'll skip tomorrow!!!!

Here is a list of the most common rules violations according to USAT.  http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/rulebook/most-common-violations.aspx

Looking at #5 - that page says to keep at least 3 bike lengths between you and the cyclist in front of you, the official rulebook says 7 meters from the front of the bike ahead of you.  If you get closer than that, you MUST complete a pass - it's not enough to just drop back, even if you accidentally got too close.  You have 15 seconds to complete the pass and as soon as your front wheel gets past the front wheel of the person you are passing, it becomes their responsibility to drop back out of the draft zone.  

Triathlon Ontario change their ruling recently and made the draft zone bigger:

http://triathlonmagazine.ca/news/drafting-rules-change-for-ontario-...

I have very limited experience but I would say that on the first 5km out of a sprint distance event (especially if there are duathletes on the same course) then this is very hard to adhere to. Obviously it is bigger deal on a 90km course where drafting could result in huge gains.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2014 Rookies - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 16