Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2014-03-04 12:01 PM
in reply to: weirdfish

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: 2014 Rookies - CLOSED

Originally posted by weirdfish Does anybody have problems using fins. I am usually ok for first set of say 500 m but by the time I have rotated through a couple of other swim exercises and come back to the fins I immediately get cramp/pain in centre of foot. Any ideas how to avoid this - apart from stop using fins or is it a matter of build slow over time or bad technique? Well done to everyone with there training, wish I was anywhere near as dedicated.

If I wear them for any amount of kicking (over 500m would qualify) then I get similar discomfort in my feet but it's pretty rare that I would do that much kicking with fins.  I'm not really sure what the solution would be other than to do it more but at the same time I'm not sure I would recommend doing more in the first place.  Are you following a plan that recommends it or working with a coach/masters group that is doing it?

2014-03-04 3:24 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

This triathlon stuff is really adding up! I thought I was done but now want that trainer!

What next...

Donna

2014-03-04 3:43 PM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by luvschips This triathlon stuff is really adding up! I thought I was done but now want that trainer! What next... Donna

It never really ends....   

You just have to separate the needs from the wants.

2014-03-05 9:04 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Annoyed this week as an injury has really impacted my confidence.

I went out for a quicker run last week, 8km at about 10 seconds per Km below my 10k race pace. It felt good apart from a little soreness right on the front of my shins.

A day later my left calf tightened up and needed three days of rolling and rest to calm down.

I can now do everything I would expect to (calf raises, toe raises, hopping, stretching, dynamic jumps etc) without pain but am in fear of going running again incase I get the same reaction.

I know I should limit my speed work and I can also pinpoint some reasons why I might have hurt my self. For example the day before I had done a ton of kick drills at the pool which left my thighs sore. Also I had had to run for about 200 yards in my snow boots. All which could have tweaked something. Plus I might have been overstriding during my pace session.

Its annoying because just two weeks ago I put in a PR 10k race with zero injury or pain after. Same shoes, same temps, faster pace. I need to run to be ready for my 15km relay at the end of the month.

Summary: Injury sucks.
2014-03-05 5:42 PM

User image

Not following a direct plan. I am using a 17m pool near work so try to do drills 2-3 times a week:-
20 lengths freestyle
20 fins&kickboard
20 paddles and float
20 fists and float

Repeat once but fins on second attempt are a no/no.

Need to start ironman plan but at moment only managing 6hrs a week because of work and family commitments.
I have half Ironman races end of May and end of June with a full at beginning of September. -
2014-03-05 6:54 PM

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by luvschips This triathlon stuff is really adding up! I thought I was done but now want that trainer! What next... Donna

It never really ends....   

You just have to separate the needs from the wants.

Yep.  I had no idea I would get this invested in the sport.  But I look at it this way...this sport takes up a lot of my time and it's something I really enjoy doing.  So even though it can be a lot of money, it's at least money well spent IMO.  The day I start buying bikes and not ride them...then I'll start worrying about how much money I'm spending.

2014-03-05 7:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by badmo77a Annoyed this week as an injury has really impacted my confidence. I went out for a quicker run last week, 8km at about 10 seconds per Km below my 10k race pace. It felt good apart from a little soreness right on the front of my shins. A day later my left calf tightened up and needed three days of rolling and rest to calm down. I can now do everything I would expect to (calf raises, toe raises, hopping, stretching, dynamic jumps etc) without pain but am in fear of going running again incase I get the same reaction. I know I should limit my speed work and I can also pinpoint some reasons why I might have hurt my self. For example the day before I had done a ton of kick drills at the pool which left my thighs sore. Also I had had to run for about 200 yards in my snow boots. All which could have tweaked something. Plus I might have been overstriding during my pace session. Its annoying because just two weeks ago I put in a PR 10k race with zero injury or pain after. Same shoes, same temps, faster pace. I need to run to be ready for my 15km relay at the end of the month. Summary: Injury sucks.

This is a huge red flag to me.  For someone that runs a 50 minute 10k (8:03 pace) their 8k all out race pace should be 7:59 per mile.  So running 10 seconds per km below 10k pace for 8k...is pretty much running all out, or might not even be possible.  Maybe your 10k pace is no longer accurate, but it can give you an idea of how hard a workout you were actually shooting for.

I think some short 30 second strides at 5k or 10k pace may be better speedwork rather than extending it for 8k.  That's a really long interval and should be preceeded with a really long warm up.

Edited by Jason N 2014-03-05 7:02 PM
2014-03-06 7:56 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by badmo77a Annoyed this week as an injury has really impacted my confidence. I went out for a quicker run last week, 8km at about 10 seconds per Km below my 10k race pace. It felt good apart from a little soreness right on the front of my shins. A day later my left calf tightened up and needed three days of rolling and rest to calm down. I can now do everything I would expect to (calf raises, toe raises, hopping, stretching, dynamic jumps etc) without pain but am in fear of going running again incase I get the same reaction. I know I should limit my speed work and I can also pinpoint some reasons why I might have hurt my self. For example the day before I had done a ton of kick drills at the pool which left my thighs sore. Also I had had to run for about 200 yards in my snow boots. All which could have tweaked something. Plus I might have been overstriding during my pace session. Its annoying because just two weeks ago I put in a PR 10k race with zero injury or pain after. Same shoes, same temps, faster pace. I need to run to be ready for my 15km relay at the end of the month. Summary: Injury sucks.

This is a huge red flag to me.  For someone that runs a 50 minute 10k (8:03 pace) their 8k all out race pace should be 7:59 per mile.  So running 10 seconds per km below 10k pace for 8k...is pretty much running all out, or might not even be possible.  Maybe your 10k pace is no longer accurate, but it can give you an idea of how hard a workout you were actually shooting for.

I think some short 30 second strides at 5k or 10k pace may be better speedwork rather than extending it for 8k.  That's a really long interval and should be preceeded with a really long warm up.

I absolutely agree that the session was badly designed. I am going to try to be disciplined with keeping more miles at easier paces.
2014-03-06 8:10 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by badmo77a

I absolutely agree that the session was badly designed. I am going to try to be disciplined with keeping more miles at easier paces.

Lots and lots of miles at easy pace.  My coach has me do some hard running but it would be pretty rare that the total hard run time of a workout would exceed 20-25 mins.  If it's longer than that it would be an effort that is probably 15-20s/km SLOWER than my 10k pace.  

2014-03-06 8:56 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Lots and lots of miles at easy pace.  My coach has me do some hard running but it would be pretty rare that the total hard run time of a workout would exceed 20-25 mins.  If it's longer than that it would be an effort that is probably 15-20s/km SLOWER than my 10k pace.  

I should clear up one misunderstanding. When I said 10seconds below 10k pace I meant 10 seconds slower.

My 10k pace was about 5:08 per km and this run was done at about 5:18 per km. Which Mcmillan says is ok for steady state runs.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
2014-03-06 9:02 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Ahh, ok that is a little more reasonable.  

2014-03-06 12:45 PM

User image

Yep...more reasonable...but still a very aggressive pace to hold for a full 8k.  I would suggest at least a 20 minute warm up before trying something like that again.  They have their place...but as Arend mentioned, for most people they are very few and far between.

2014-03-07 7:55 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Yep...more reasonable...but still a very aggressive pace to hold for a full 8k.  I would suggest at least a 20 minute warm up before trying something like that again.  They have their place...but as Arend mentioned, for most people they are very few and far between.

Yes. I left the house in a kind of "wheee, I'm a fast runner" spirit and then a day later realised what a bad decision it was.
2014-03-13 4:57 PM

La Quinta, California
How does one go about posting a race report, or posting a new question? All I can find is a way to reply to someone else's previous post. What am I missing
2014-03-13 9:46 PM
in reply to: Jerry A.

I haven't posted in a while, but I'm still aiming for a spring distance tri in May (in Ottawa)! Honestly, I was feeling a bit intimidated as I am a REAL rookie. I swim and run regularly, although with no formal training plan. And I am slow. 3 times a week I swim about 1.5 km. My last 400 m time was 9:58, so I'm not fast. I also regularly run (jog) 45-60 minutes about 4 times a week, although I am slow.

Here's my question: I am looking to buy a bike. In my price range, a hybrid was recommended (approx $500). I just do not want to spend $1000 on a road bike. However, I think I want a road bike. I've been to 3 stores and the prices are all the same range.

Any advice would be welcome. Considering that I am a real beginner, is a hybrid bike OK for someone who is just starting out? I've even considered a trip to the U.S. to see if I can get a road bike at a better price.

Thanks for your help.
Brenda
2014-03-14 9:34 AM
in reply to: Gizmosmom

User image

Kansas City, Missouri

Originally posted by Gizmosmom I haven't posted in a while, but I'm still aiming for a spring distance tri in May (in Ottawa)! Honestly, I was feeling a bit intimidated as I am a REAL rookie. I swim and run regularly, although with no formal training plan. And I am slow. 3 times a week I swim about 1.5 km. My last 400 m time was 9:58, so I'm not fast. I also regularly run (jog) 45-60 minutes about 4 times a week, although I am slow. Here's my question: I am looking to buy a bike. In my price range, a hybrid was recommended (approx $500). I just do not want to spend $1000 on a road bike. However, I think I want a road bike. I've been to 3 stores and the prices are all the same range. Any advice would be welcome. Considering that I am a real beginner, is a hybrid bike OK for someone who is just starting out? I've even considered a trip to the U.S. to see if I can get a road bike at a better price. Thanks for your help. Brenda

Others are likely more knowledgeable than I am, but I bought a used bike (approx. 4-5 years old) from a local guy off of Craigslist for $300.  It's a decent starter bike (aluminum trek frame w/ carbon fiber fork) with components that aren't bottom rung but are nowhere near the top either.  I know in my area you could get a great starter road bike on Craigslist for $500, so I might check there.  Also, some LBSs have used/old model bikes that are much cheaper.  I'm all about supporting the LBS, but I needed to get something cheaper than they had to offer - I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on something if I wasn't going to stick with it.  

I'm pretty much hooked now (even though my first tri isn't for 2 more weeks), so now I'm saving for a new bike, though mine might have to wait awhile as my wife recently mentioned she wanted to get a bike to join me on rides and potentially races.  My this can become an expensive habit, and I've only touched the tip of the iceberg...

2014-03-14 10:34 AM
in reply to: Jerry A.

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by Jerry A.

How does one go about posting a race report, or posting a new question? All I can find is a way to reply to someone else's previous post. What am I missing

For posing a new question you need to hit the 'New Thread' button.

For example if you go into the Triathlon Talk forum and want to pose a new question then (presuming you are logged in) just go to the top right of the page and hit 'New Thread'.

This does not work here in the Mentor forum as the threads are all allready open and so replies are the way to go as you are just adding to an exisiting, while varied, conversation.

Race reports are a different animal. you will need to go to the RACES menu and select 'create report'. then you will need to find the 'Add Race' button and navigate from there. This peice may involve creating the race and then following up with a report. if no one else has created the race as an entiity. Most bigger tri events will allready be created but some smaller local runs and tris wont be in there.

Hope this helps! This is all based on being in a full broswer on a PC. Not sure of the differences for mobile.
2014-03-15 3:58 PM

User image

Kansas City, Missouri

So I did an unofficial tri today as a walk-through for my race in 2 weeks.  I made a race report: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=512628&posts=1&page=1

It felt great, and I'm excited for the race in a couple weeks!  Oh, and training in 70 degree sunny weather is awesome! However, it is supposed to snow tonight...

2014-03-15 7:28 PM
in reply to: Danmartinids

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Danmartinids

So I did an unofficial tri today as a walk-through for my race in 2 weeks.  I made a race report: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=512628&posts=1&page=1

It felt great, and I'm excited for the race in a couple weeks!  Oh, and training in 70 degree sunny weather is awesome! However, it is supposed to snow tonight...

Nice work Dan!  I'm impressed you managed to get out of the pool, through a locker room, changed etc and out to your car in under 3 mins!  

2014-03-21 9:15 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Catching up:

Dan - I think simulating the Triathlon is one of the best confidence boosters. Despite odd looks from the people in the pool changing rooms! I did the same thing last year thanks to the patience of my wife waiting outside the pool with my bike in the trunk of our car. The ultimate brick.

Proper Mentor Question:

Guys and gals. How do I best fill the time between 30th March (running 15km at Around the Bay) and my next event which is Binbrook Triathlon (June 7th - 750m Swim – 30km Bike – 7.5km Run).

10 weeks between the 15km finish line and the starters horn at Binbrook.

Recently training planning has been very easy to design and manage. I been focused only on running. Swimming has been my main cross training and my bike is still in winter storage. I occasionally drag myself on the spin bike. However after the 30th I need to go over to a more balance plan.

My aims for Binbrook are:

1- Finish
2 - Finish with no errors (no walking during the run, no swim freak out etc)
3 - Top 50% of my age group
4 - Whole event under 1:50

Should I have a week off after the 15km? Can I sustain running volumes for all of that 10 weeks? Realistically I will only get to the pool twice a week. Also I can only really get cycle miles in as part of my commute.

Other questions.

Popped into my local Tri Store this week. And get a ton of advice and friendly service from Wolfgang Guembel. Who for a serious athlete has all the time in the world for a beginner. This has tempted me to think about wetsuit rental for my event. Am I insane to think I can wear a suit for the first time on race weekend? Maybe only one practice swim in it two days before the race? Am I asking for trouble based on the 'nothing new on race day' principle? Or are the suits so well designed that the advantage will outweigh the risk? I till likely be a Nineteen Pipeline or somehting similar from thier range.

Bike shoes. My budget will liely dictate that buying bike shoes to go with my new SPD-SL pedals will man buying entry level road shoes. Of what benefit would there be on strecthing my budget to carbon soles over plastic? The entry level Shimano offerings appear to be about $50 apart based on carbon over plastic.
2014-03-31 9:03 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

2014-03-31 3:42 PM

User image

Kansas City, Missouri

Race report from Saturday.  I'm so glad that race season is here.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=513501

2014-03-31 3:55 PM

User image

Hi!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=513493

Race report from last Sunday half marathon. Next start in April - I hope it will be more successful

Regards,

2014-03-31 4:05 PM
in reply to: Neithanar

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Great to see all the race reports.  Nice work by everyone!

2014-04-04 8:20 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Bike shoes. My budget will likely dictate that buying bike shoes to go with my new SPD-SL pedals will man buying entry level road shoes. Of what benefit would there be on stretching my budget to carbon soles over plastic? The entry level Shimano offerings appear to be about $50 apart based on carbon over plastic.

To update (an answer my own question above!) I ended up with a pair of Specialized Road shoes which were slightly discounted at my LBS. They are not carbon soles but the saving allowed me to upgrade my helmet.

I think I will have to loosen my pedals though. As my first clip in and out experiment was very tough.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2014 Rookies - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 16