BT Development Mentor Program Archives » New Year New You...reopened for late comers Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2014-04-08 11:58 AM
in reply to: RobR

User image

Subject: RE: New Year New You...reopened for late comers
Originally posted by RobR

you seem to be able to really crank it up when you need to so all power too you. Let us know how the tri event goes. I plan on going to watch one but I think there is only one before I compete so not much time to see how it all works.

Are you planning on a tri event this year or is it just swim and cycle events until your running is stronger?

BTW I still do the swim class Sunday mornings and it is really good. I'm the worst there by a long stretch so it is pushing me harder than if I swam alone. The coach wants to try and lift my legs because they seem to sink and I;m working really hard with my shoulders. I don't seem to glide at all. we'll see how today's class goes!

Rob - I've been having a similar problem with swimming. My legs still sink a bit, causing quite a bit of drag, particularly after a few laps. My coach had me try something different this week to fix it; she had me swim down, kicking, but with completely straight legs, really over-exaggerating it. The plan was to then have me gradually move back towards slightly bent knees until I got to the right amount of bend. (I say the plan because it turns out my legs were correct when I thought they were perfectly straight.) I also did it with fins so I could really feel the difference of when I was doing it right. Not sure if that helps you, but it really helped fix my sinking problem on Sunday.

2014-04-08 12:02 PM
in reply to: Dolcezza

User image

Originally posted by Dolcezza

I finally got outside, my first ride of the year. I did 30 miles. Last year I had a horrible saddle on my bike and it was a huge deterrent for me. This year I bought a wider ladies saddle and I can honestly say it was pretty awesome. I don't know why I didn't do that sooner! I am about to jump on my treadmill to get some running time in! Hope you are all doing well! Heather
Hey well done Heather, I've had some horrible saddles in the past, nearly cut me in half...ouch, makes such a difference having have a comfortable one! Enjoy the run.
2014-04-08 12:06 PM
in reply to: kturnity

User image

Originally posted by kturnity

you seem to be able to really crank it up when you need to so all power too you. Let us know how the tri event goes. I plan on going to watch one but I think there is only one before I compete so not much time to see how it all works.

Are you planning on a tri event this year or is it just swim and cycle events until your running is stronger?

BTW I still do the swim class Sunday mornings and it is really good. I'm the worst there by a long stretch so it is pushing me harder than if I swam alone. The coach wants to try and lift my legs because they seem to sink and I;m working really hard with my shoulders. I don't seem to glide at all. we'll see how today's class goes!

Rob - I've been having a similar problem with swimming. My legs still sink a bit, causing quite a bit of drag, particularly after a few laps. My coach had me try something different this week to fix it; she had me swim down, kicking, but with completely straight legs, really over-exaggerating it. The plan was to then have me gradually move back towards slightly bent knees until I got to the right amount of bend. (I say the plan because it turns out my legs were correct when I thought they were perfectly straight.) I also did it with fins so I could really feel the difference of when I was doing it right. Not sure if that helps you, but it really helped fix my sinking problem on Sunday.
I quite like this drill to a degree but it's important not to develop a habit of swimming down as this can cause loss of propulsion too. I would also keep using the push and glide drill, keep doing a few each session.
2014-04-08 12:31 PM
in reply to: mgk

User image

Hey everyone!
Sorry I've been MIA for a few weeks. Things have been a little crazy around here (mostly work; I work for a very seasonal business and it's our busy time). I have been keeping up with most of my training, just haven't had time to post. But here's an overview:

Run: I've gotten my pace back down almost to my best time from last year. Even my short runs are now past the 5k distance, so a 5k should feel easy by the time my tri rolls around (ignoring that I will have just gotten off a bike of course).

Bike: I've been slacking a bit on this. We've had a lot of rain and I can't seem to get motivated enough to go back to the indoor bike. I have had a few good 12-15 mile rides in the last few weeks, but I really need to work on getting my speed up. Sometimes I have a tendency to kind of zone out and not realize I'm not pushing myself. I'm hoping to get out for a ride today though, so I'll work on it.

Swim: I'm finally feeling really good about my swim. Last week, one of the other regulars at the pool commented on how much better my stroke looks and that he was sure I could already swim the distance for the sprint. Next time I was in the pool, I decided to see if I could do it. Originally, I thought, "I'll swim 500 and see how I feel; if it feels good, I'll go for the 800". And I ended up swimming 1000 yds. It felt so good after the 800 that I just decided to go for it. From barely being able to swim 25 yds about 3 months ago, I feel great about the improvement I've made.

I've also done a couple brick workouts lately (both bike/run) and am feeling much better about them. They're still not full distance bricks yet, but I'm getting close! And I'm planning my first swim/bike brick this weekend since we'll finally have some decent weather to bike to/from the pool. (=

Hope all the injuries are healing up and that training is going well!
2014-04-08 12:35 PM
in reply to: Wumba41

User image

Originally posted by Wumba41

I quite like this drill to a degree but it's important not to develop a habit of swimming down as this can cause loss of propulsion too. I would also keep using the push and glide drill, keep doing a few each session.

Clarification: by down I meant down the pool; as in down and back, but I forgot the back part. (=
However, I've noticed that can be true with a lot of drills. I've had to go back and fix some things that I had over-corrected in the beginning.
2014-04-08 2:06 PM

User image

Originally posted by Wumba41

Clarification: by down I meant down the pool; as in down and back, but I forgot the back part. (=
However, I've noticed that can be true with a lot of drills. I've had to go back and fix some things that I had over-corrected in the beginning.
Aha gpt you now, thanks for the clarification!!

2014-04-08 6:57 PM
in reply to: Dolcezza

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Originally posted by Dolcezza

I finally got outside, my first ride of the year. I did 30 miles. Last year I had a horrible saddle on my bike and it was a huge deterrent for me. This year I bought a wider ladies saddle and I can honestly say it was pretty awesome. I don't know why I didn't do that sooner! I am about to jump on my treadmill to get some running time in! Hope you are all doing well! Heather

Comfort is key. Especially when you get into the longer distances. Have you been fitted on your bike? Minor adjustments can make a difference with not only comfort, but also power.
2014-04-08 7:37 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County

Hey everyone!
Sorry I've been MIA for a few weeks. Things have been a little crazy around here (mostly work; I work for a very seasonal business and it's our busy time). I have been keeping up with most of my training, just haven't had time to post. But here's an overview:

Run: I've gotten my pace back down almost to my best time from last year. Even my short runs are now past the 5k distance, so a 5k should feel easy by the time my tri rolls around (ignoring that I will have just gotten off a bike of course).

Bike: I've been slacking a bit on this. We've had a lot of rain and I can't seem to get motivated enough to go back to the indoor bike. I have had a few good 12-15 mile rides in the last few weeks, but I really need to work on getting my speed up. Sometimes I have a tendency to kind of zone out and not realize I'm not pushing myself. I'm hoping to get out for a ride today though, so I'll work on it.

Swim: I'm finally feeling really good about my swim. Last week, one of the other regulars at the pool commented on how much better my stroke looks and that he was sure I could already swim the distance for the sprint. Next time I was in the pool, I decided to see if I could do it. Originally, I thought, "I'll swim 500 and see how I feel; if it feels good, I'll go for the 800". And I ended up swimming 1000 yds. It felt so good after the 800 that I just decided to go for it. From barely being able to swim 25 yds about 3 months ago, I feel great about the improvement I've made.

I've also done a couple brick workouts lately (both bike/run) and am feeling much better about them. They're still not full distance bricks yet, but I'm getting close! And I'm planning my first swim/bike brick this weekend since we'll finally have some decent weather to bike to/from the pool. (=

Hope all the injuries are healing up and that training is going well!

Definitely notable progress and CONGRATULATIONS!!! on the 1000 yd swim. That is AWESOME!!!
Nice progress with the running as well :-)
(mental note: she'll kick my butt in a race)

Keep up the great work. Looks like your training arrangements are working well for you :-)

FYI: (from your other post) if you take one of your hands and lay it flat (palm down) on the table. then curl your fingers upward. you have force from the table that prevents your palm from going down further. If your shoulders and head (upper body) is up too high like your fingers, your feet, hips, legs will sink; you won't have the table to keep your legs up. Relaxing and dropping your shoulders a little bit can make the necessary adjustments you need to help with your hips, legs, feet. Another way to look at it is that in wrestling, your body will follow wherever your head goes; if your head is turned to the right, you whole body will end up turning to the right as well. So, in swimming, if your head is even slightly up, your body will follow as well (eventually). This would explain why you mentioned that after a few laps, your legs sink again; you don't have as much propulsion, your back muscles start to fatigue from arching backwards, etc...

Hope this information helps :-)
2014-04-08 7:45 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!
I just got an email last night saying that the Fountain Valley Triathlon is open for registration and will be on May 24th. I'm so excited to be doing this triathlon again (this will be 3rd year). I'm hoping to really better my time and who knows, maybe get into the top 50 (was 97th last year). I know that's a huge difference with placement, but I would only have to drop 9 minutes based on last year's results (keeping in mind that I helped repair 3 bicycles while on the bike route). It just might be doable... :-)
2014-04-10 9:56 AM

User image

Hey all,

I just added a new event to my calendar! It's not a race, but I'm doing a bike ride the second weekend in August this year. I'm currently signed up for the 50 mile ride, but might switch to a longer distance if the training goes well. It should be a lot of fun and the ride is for a good cause.

The event is Pelotonia and it's a charity ride where 100% of the money raised goes to cancer research. It was started in 2009 and is now the biggest charity bike ride in the country. Last year they had over 6,700 riders and have raised more than $60M to date. I joined the team at my company, which usually has about 100 members.

If any of you are close enough to Ohio to be interested in riding, there's a link below to my profile and you can get more information through that website. It's a weekend event, with opening ceremony on a Friday (August 8), and the rides starting Saturday. The shorter rides end Saturday, but the two longer rides (155 and 180 miles) continue on Sunday.

Or, if you can't make the ride, but would like to support the cause, you can do that at this link as well.

pelotonia.org/katieturner

Here's to hoping I can manage 50+ miles by then! (I've still only ever done 12 at a time)

KT
2014-04-11 2:00 AM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County

Hey all,

I just added a new event to my calendar! It's not a race, but I'm doing a bike ride the second weekend in August this year. I'm currently signed up for the 50 mile ride, but might switch to a longer distance if the training goes well. It should be a lot of fun and the ride is for a good cause.

The event is Pelotonia and it's a charity ride where 100% of the money raised goes to cancer research. It was started in 2009 and is now the biggest charity bike ride in the country. Last year they had over 6,700 riders and have raised more than $60M to date. I joined the team at my company, which usually has about 100 members.

If any of you are close enough to Ohio to be interested in riding, there's a link below to my profile and you can get more information through that website. It's a weekend event, with opening ceremony on a Friday (August 8), and the rides starting Saturday. The shorter rides end Saturday, but the two longer rides (155 and 180 miles) continue on Sunday.

Or, if you can't make the ride, but would like to support the cause, you can do that at this link as well.

pelotonia.org/katieturner

Here's to hoping I can manage 50+ miles by then! (I've still only ever done 12 at a time)

KT

That is great news. When it comes to bicycle tours, the most important thing to remember is to HAVE FUN :-)

Based on how you are progressing with swimming, you will be ready by August. There are so many tips/points/strategies that are going through my mind. Most are based on personal experiences. I encourage you to get out on group rides as much as possible. Your rides will be more focused on experiences. Then the individual rides can focus on specifics. This is similar to what you are doing with swimming. :-)

Little story: the longest my son rode was just over 20 miles at once. Him and I entered into the MS150. We did the 2 day ride totalling 100 miles (we didn't do the full 150). Throughout the ride, I was pointing out tips/tricks/strategies. We rode at his pace. He ended up getting sick the first night (body shock) but at age 17, he recovered well and continued to complete the whole ride. He learned pacing. He learned how to use his gears efficiently. He learned the importance of keeping your legs moving even when going downhill. He learned to alternate brakes when going down a steep hill. He learned so many other things...

Let us all know how your progress goes. :-)

2014-04-12 9:08 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
My sons and I are officially registered for the Fountain Valley Triathlon 2014 on May 24th... Awesome!!!
2014-04-19 8:26 AM

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
Katie, your swim improvement is awesome. Congratulations!

Are you able to swim 1k without stopping? I have improved over the last few months and although my stroke is better, my ability to only swim 100m without stopping hasn't really changed. If I try to swim further, my stroke gets very ragged and I rush to breathe. I still swim 3 times a week but progress is very slow. Any tips?
2014-04-19 8:28 AM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
That's great news David, now you have your goal I'm sure you'll be going for it in your usual enthusiastic style. Good luck!
2014-04-19 8:42 AM

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
Hi Folks,
my apologies for my absence......

well 2014 has been a real learning curve.....a blown calf put me out of the early spring running races, a horrible flu virus kicked my in March and now I appear to have torn something in my shoulder. Was swimming last Sunday (first time back after the flu) and I felt a pop in my shoulder. Didn't hurt too bad at the time and it really didn't affect my short swim Tuesday.....but by Wed night, my word.....I've clearly torn something as I have swelling down into the upper bicep. Ice and Avil are my friends right now but if anyone has any advice I'll take it (my wife's advice is to give in to age and stop pushing! lol).

On a positive note, I am back running again and I appear to be able to ride a bike without too much trouble. I am looking at buying a bike now (until now its been indoor only). I have seen a pretty decent Cannondale 800 Tri bike that's on for $400 and some others in the $700-$900 range. Is it better to get a road bike first rather than a tri bike?

New goal for this first triathlon.....FINISH!
2014-04-21 7:11 AM

User image

Katie, your swim improvement is awesome. Congratulations!

Are you able to swim 1k without stopping? I have improved over the last few months and although my stroke is better, my ability to only swim 100m without stopping hasn't really changed. If I try to swim further, my stroke gets very ragged and I rush to breathe. I still swim 3 times a week but progress is very slow. Any tips?

Rob - My longest swim so far was this weekend and I did 1200 yards. One of the things my coach had me doing that really helped was the consecutive 100s on 10 seconds rest. It got me used to swimming more distance in a short amount of time, but the breaks really helped me not lose form and gave me just enough rest to get through the next one. (At first I was pretty convinced 10 seconds was not enough rest, but found that if I pushed, I could do it.) Once I was able to do 8 of them consistently, we started stringing them together and did 200s, then 300s. Then one day, I realized I didn't really need the rest anymore. I started off swimming the 100s fairly slow to get used to the distance, and we've worked on increasing my pace each week. I think I started at about 2:00 for each 100 yards and am now at about 1:50.

Hope that helps! Good luck with your training and I hope all your injuries get resolved soon!

2014-04-27 6:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Big weekend!

Sat: Tour de Cure in Suffolk VA - 65 mile ride in honor of my daughter whose has T1D. 65 miles, 3:33:19, Avg speed 18.31

Sun - Angel's Race Sprint Tri - Third time I've done this race. Great weather and race! Still waiting for my results to show up on the website.

2014-04-27 11:29 PM
in reply to: pvfd304

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Originally posted by pvfd304

Big weekend!

Sat: Tour de Cure in Suffolk VA - 65 mile ride in honor of my daughter whose has T1D. 65 miles, 3:33:19, Avg speed 18.31

Sun - Angel's Race Sprint Tri - Third time I've done this race. Great weather and race! Still waiting for my results to show up on the website.

Great job. Looking forward to hearing about your results. Hopefully better from years past (fingers crossed)

Awesome riding!!!
2014-04-27 11:51 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Today was my first Century ride. Tour De Cure is for raising money for diabetes. The longest ride prior was just under 80 and I was still a teenager (so a couple years ago or more); longest current age was 64 miles.

I have to say. I am so glad that I have the riding experience that I have. It was my prior experiences that got me to the finish line. One challenge after another...

* About 35 miles in, I was having problems breathing (asthma); I had an asthma attack that I caught in time and was able to continue once I got my breathing under control.
* About 50 miles in, I was starting to feel sick. Nothing major but enough that I had to make adjustments with what and how much to eat at the rest stops.
* About 65 miles in, started feeling worse and had to start adjusting speed and gear strategies to keep my cadence up without stressing my body more than needed.
* Almost passed out at 83 mile rest stop. Legs cramping up. Body was just telling me "DONE!!!". I took my time at the rest stop and found out there was another stop 10 miles ahead. This is the distance for my commute to\from work... "I can do that."
* My speed was 12 - 15 mph by now and was tremendously slower than when I started...

Was I physically prepared for today. Not quite where I should of been, but I did physically "finish"
Was I mentally prepared. Not exactly, cause I went in with doubts.
Was I prepared in general. Yes... From all the riding I have done, I knew what I could and could not do...

Point: every time you ride, swim, or run. You are not just building you muscles, you are learning experiences that will help you get through different situations. So, ride, swim, and run as often as you can ;-)
2014-04-28 2:10 PM
in reply to: #4973668

Hey guys. It's been awhile but starting to see some progress. Did my first brick today. 500m (400 consecutive after 2x50 warmup) in the pool then a 13 mi ride at 15mph. Got out of the pool feeling like I could have gone further and felt good on the bike. Those distances are longer than what I need for my first race (mini sprint: 400-10-2) so big confidence boost. Distances get longer as summer goes on but right where I need to be for now. Matt
2014-04-28 6:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
After Action Report:

Now that I'm feeling well rested I'll add to my reports.

Sat. Tour De Cure.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Had a GREAT time at the Tour de Cure - Hampton Roads, VA. Weather was perfect. Started out riding averaging around 20 mph or so. Too fast Brian, slow it down and take it easy. Hooked up with another TT bike and we started a paceline. Picked up a few more and rode around 17mph for awhile. Picked up a T1D rider with a sign on her back "My 45 years of diabetes will not slow me down for my 65 mile ride" With 20 to go we pickup up the pace and drove it home, fast. Surprised that I had that much gas left in the tank. Loved racking up the miles at 0% grade. Also got to talk to two Team Novo Nordisk riders.

Sun Angel's Race Sprint Tri

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

Wow, even after riding a metric century the day before I improved in every leg as well as both transitions over last year. We had beautiful weather this weekend and we were truly blessed by being surrounded by family and friends. I've meet so many good people in this sport. We are from different backgrounds but we all share goals of making our lives better though setting goals and learning how to surpass them. I feel a great sense of accomplishment by working hard during training and then getting to have so much fun on race day. What a great sport!

(finishline.jpg)

(10258516_674840045914554_6868450488117901416_n.jpg)

(Back.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
finishline.jpg (42KB - 7 downloads)
10258516_674840045914554_6868450488117901416_n.jpg (83KB - 6 downloads)
Back.jpg (50KB - 5 downloads)

2014-04-28 6:36 PM
in reply to: pvfd304

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
High Five, Brian... What an amazing weekend for you =)
Major accomplishments with PR's and everything else. The Tour de Cure rides are amazing. You meet so many people. Everybody is friendly and wanting to share stories; it's like one huge family.

Great job =)
2014-04-30 6:12 AM

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
Hi Guys,
just picked up a used Cannondale 2000 Tri Bike for $600 but it has no pedals. Can anyone recommend pedals/cleats for a my first tri?
Thanks
2014-04-30 6:23 AM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
sounds eventful but congrats for getting through it!
2014-04-30 6:25 AM

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
well done Matt, its all about momentum! Hope you stay injury free and build your distances slowly. Have a great season!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » New Year New You...reopened for late comers Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : January 1, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
To help implement your resolutions (or those of your friends and family members), I recommend the following books, most of which are written by nutrition experts: registered dietitians (RD).
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.