BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2014-03-31 7:14 PM
in reply to: smithat05

User image

Cleveland OH
Subject: RE: Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN
Have been getting in a fair amount of training. We had 6 inches of snow yesterday and now today its almost all melted and its 58 degrees, I rode 30 mins then bricked a 30 min run with the dog. Got in 4 miles on the run,

Swam Sunday and Friday feel like its getting easier,

now for my 3 rough days at work, Might get a quick run in wednesday morn, but probably not.

2014-04-01 12:32 PM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

New user
San Rafael, California
Well I have had a very disappointing few months. I was hit by two viruses, first in the sinueses, and then with RSV. Both completely knocked me off of my training scheduled. Of course with my luck, it didn't end there, and I threw my back out two weeks ago. I am finally well enough to ride and swim, but my training is completely off. I am rethinking my goals for the year, and what I want to do. Right now I am focusing on getting healthier, and back into training. I am putting on hold my races for June and July, and taking a wait and see approach. Just disappointed right now with how training has gone.
2014-04-02 11:48 AM

User image

The last few weeks have been really tough and I wish I had a good reason for them. Last week a combination of insomnia and a real bad stomach prevented a 10 mile run and then a bunch of mid-week workouts. This past weekend I planned on making up the 10 miler but I had to turn back due to some more stomach pains. Then, Monday and Tuesday I was fighting off a cold. Finally this morning I got in a 5 mile run. Definitely concerned about the 1/2 marathon in 2 weeks as I'm supposed to be tapering and I never got in anything over 9 miles. At this point, I think the goal is just going to be to finish with a somewhat respectable time. Though, I have been noticing I've been holding slightly faster paces, so maybe the race won't be as bad as expected.

Oh, did I mention, I banged my foot on Saturday night only to later realize I think I broke the 4th toe. Fortunately, taping it up helps and doesn't cause me any pain when running, but it's definitely an ugly color!

The weather here in NJ is finally starting to turn to spring so I'm looking forward to taking the bike back outside. I've actually only ridden it 3 times outside since getting it in October; however, I have to get a new tire first.

Have a great day!
2014-04-02 2:29 PM

User image

Whew...I'm so sorry to hear about everyone's training trouble, but I'm glad I'm not alone!

I got 2 swims in and a 3 mile run last week (I'm a baby when it comes to running) before I came down with a nasty cold that is just now finally easing up. I'm hoping to get back on track more this week & next as I start feeling better.

(I just started training for my first triathlon so my distances are fairly small right now)
2014-04-04 4:00 PM

User image

I am really ramping up the training. I am trying to pick one discipline to be a primary focus then the other two are secondary. Each week I am switching the primary focus. This past week I picked Swimming as the focus, in total I swam 3500 meters (3827 yards) over the past 4 days. I have ran 25 km (15.5 miles) 2 runs and still on the indoor cycle bike and hit 40 miles on 2 sessions.

I guess the current question that keeps coming up for me has to do with swimming drill. I am confused by the terminology.... kicks , pulls,ect ect is a glossary of terms somewhere? or if someone has some time can you give me the intro into swim drills????

The other thing that is on my mind is do I up my commitment and do a sprint instead of a try a tri....uhhh

2014-04-06 8:59 PM
in reply to: Cseabrook

User image

Cleveland OH
Originally posted by Cseabrook

I am really ramping up the training. I am trying to pick one discipline to be a primary focus then the other two are secondary. Each week I am switching the primary focus. This past week I picked Swimming as the focus, in total I swam 3500 meters (3827 yards) over the past 4 days. I have ran 25 km (15.5 miles) 2 runs and still on the indoor cycle bike and hit 40 miles on 2 sessions.

I guess the current question that keeps coming up for me has to do with swimming drill. I am confused by the terminology.... kicks , pulls,ect ect is a glossary of terms somewhere? or if someone has some time can you give me the intro into swim drills????

The other thing that is on my mind is do I up my commitment and do a sprint instead of a try a tri....uhhh

here ya go http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

I would ramp up to the sprint i you havent signed up or the Try a tri yet. Maybe find a sprint then find the free sprint plan and follow that if you can

2014-04-06 9:03 PM

User image

Cleveland OH
Sounds like some of ya need to start eating healthier or taking some natural remedies. I drink Kombucha, Kefir Water, and take Elder berry syrup, and a whole slew of other things, along with my wife and son. We hardly ever get sick.

Good luck with the training, hope it turns around for you.

I ran 13 saturday, biked 42 on sunday and bricked a 1.5 run with the dog.

uhhgg, will the housework ever end.
2014-04-07 7:10 AM

User image

Expert
sorry I have been MIA recently, we are getting our house ready for listing (this week) so all of my spare time has been going to that, cleaning decluttering, painting etc. I haven't done any training in several weeks. Hopefully I'll get back to it this week.
2014-04-07 3:48 PM

User image

I have been training for a try that is coming up in June and they offer a sprint as well. I wonder if my swimming will be up to meet the challenge of a sprint. my biking is good and my running is good.

How big a transition from a try to a sprint
2014-04-11 8:11 AM

User image

Good morning all,
Did an easy 2 miles this morning as my last run before Sunday's 1/2 marathon. Lost the first half of the week due to a sinus infection and kept it prtty easy Wednesday-Friday (just 2 short runs to keep the legs loose).
Looking forward to moving the cycling outside after Sunday. Bought a new tire for the spring.
2014-04-14 4:07 PM
in reply to: Happyinmarin

User image

New user
San Rafael, California
Last week was a good week to get back in the swing of things, manage workouts, laundry, and the house. Laundry and the house fell a little behind, but I had a couple of really good workouts in swim, running, and on the bike. On Sunday, I was surprised when my friend changed the ride last minute from a 2 hour 30 miler, to a 5 hour 60 miler. I went along with it, took it in stride and had a great time.

This week is more of the same and working on consistency and making sure I get plenty of rest.

Hope everyone had a great week!

2014-04-17 1:56 PM

User image

Hi all,
Well, Sunday was finally the Rutgers 1/2 marathon and it was brutal. New Jersey jumped straight from Winter into summer (and back to Winter with snow on Tuesday). The course wasn't necessarily hilly but much hillier than where I live/train, so the 440 feet of climbing was brutal for me, especially coupled with a temperature well into the 70s during much of the race. It also didn't help that I had never was able to run more than 9 miles leading up to the race- which certainly contributed to me hitting the wall hard somewhere between miles 9 and 10. Despite taking water at every aid station and gatorade at a bunch of them, the legs just stopped working. I had been keeping my pace around 9 min/mile, but somewhere before mile 10, it all fell apart. I ended up finishing in 2 hours 12 minutes for a pace of about 10:06/mile. But, I've been really sore the entire rest of the week. The previous 1/2 marathon I did (3 years ago), I felt fine the next day, but this one really kicked my butt. Nevertheless, going to do at least one more this year and look to improve, especially with better weather ahead.

In other news, I'm paying for my procrastination and got shut out of the race I planned on using as my "A" race- the NJ State Triathlon, Olympic Distance. I'm on the wait list so we'll see. I am going to register for the Tri Rock Asbury Park Olympic distance, but the ocean swim concerns me.

I almost forgot- one other thing about the race. I bought a new pair of running shoes back in November (Brooks Adrenaline GTS 14s) and had been holding onto them until the spring. Basically, I didn't want to muck them up with the bad weather. Well, a few weeks ago, I realized my old shoes were really starting to shoe their age and had over 200 miles on them. But, I knew it was too close to the race to start breaking in a new shoe. Well, I felt every single stride of that race. THe soles are GONE and I think there's a slit in each one that goes all the way through. I'll try and post a pic later.

Hope everybody's having a good week and has a good holiday, no matter what you might be celebrating this week.

Seth
2014-04-22 1:05 AM
in reply to: sethjk

User image

New user
San Rafael, California
Seth,

Congratulations on finishing. I know sometimes races don't go the way we want them to, due to weather, training, or who knows what else. I was just thinking to myself the other day about getting a new set of shoes soon. Thanks for the heads up about breaking them in before too much time is lost.

Dan

Originally posted by sethjk

Hi all,
Well, Sunday was finally the Rutgers 1/2 marathon and it was brutal. New Jersey jumped straight from Winter into summer (and back to Winter with snow on Tuesday). The course wasn't necessarily hilly but much hillier than where I live/train, so the 440 feet of climbing was brutal for me, especially coupled with a temperature well into the 70s during much of the race. It also didn't help that I had never was able to run more than 9 miles leading up to the race- which certainly contributed to me hitting the wall hard somewhere between miles 9 and 10. Despite taking water at every aid station and gatorade at a bunch of them, the legs just stopped working. I had been keeping my pace around 9 min/mile, but somewhere before mile 10, it all fell apart. I ended up finishing in 2 hours 12 minutes for a pace of about 10:06/mile. But, I've been really sore the entire rest of the week. The previous 1/2 marathon I did (3 years ago), I felt fine the next day, but this one really kicked my butt. Nevertheless, going to do at least one more this year and look to improve, especially with better weather ahead.

In other news, I'm paying for my procrastination and got shut out of the race I planned on using as my "A" race- the NJ State Triathlon, Olympic Distance. I'm on the wait list so we'll see. I am going to register for the Tri Rock Asbury Park Olympic distance, but the ocean swim concerns me.

I almost forgot- one other thing about the race. I bought a new pair of running shoes back in November (Brooks Adrenaline GTS 14s) and had been holding onto them until the spring. Basically, I didn't want to muck them up with the bad weather. Well, a few weeks ago, I realized my old shoes were really starting to shoe their age and had over 200 miles on them. But, I knew it was too close to the race to start breaking in a new shoe. Well, I felt every single stride of that race. THe soles are GONE and I think there's a slit in each one that goes all the way through. I'll try and post a pic later.

Hope everybody's having a good week and has a good holiday, no matter what you might be celebrating this week.

Seth
2014-05-02 6:03 PM

User image

So I officially hit the road today. I came across a deal that I just could not say no to...... This will be a great entry bike for me and I had a great time tinkering around with the adjustments.

lets hope for warmer weather!

(bike.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
bike.JPG (50KB - 15 downloads)
2014-05-09 9:08 AM
in reply to: Cseabrook

User image

New user
San Rafael, California
The past few weeks have been really good with training, and I am feeling good about my half coming up in June. I am a slow swimmer, which has me very concerned for the full in July, and so I am reaching out to local swim coaches, to see what my options are regarding my technique. Hopefully I will get some good points soon. Nutrition is still a learning experience, and apparently having a banana for breakfast before a pool workout is not a good thing. Live and learn I guess. Hope everyone is doing well.

Dan
2014-05-10 7:42 PM

User image

Cleveland OH
I think every bodys body is different, I can usually eat whatever I want before I work out and Im fine.

you just have to find whats best for you

Good luck at your Half and Full.

Originally posted by Happyinmarin

The past few weeks have been really good with training, and I am feeling good about my half coming up in June. I am a slow swimmer, which has me very concerned for the full in July, and so I am reaching out to local swim coaches, to see what my options are regarding my technique. Hopefully I will get some good points soon. Nutrition is still a learning experience, and apparently having a banana for breakfast before a pool workout is not a good thing. Live and learn I guess. Hope everyone is doing well.

Dan

2014-05-10 7:45 PM

User image

Cleveland OH
Wow, where has the spring gone?

I am enjoying spending so much time with my son, I love it so much. We have been jogging, bike rides, swimming. He just loves being outside.

Have been getting a fair amount of training in. Actually went to a 3 day tri camp my club puts on. best thing was that the camp is where my first half is, so I got to see the biking hills, and run course. Over 3000 ft of Vertical climbing on the bike on the Half. WTF was I thinking signing up for this.

Ohh well.
2014-05-12 9:49 AM

User image

Expert
3000 feet is a lot for a half! I think that is comparable to the wisconsin full course in terms of amount of climbing per distance biked. Do you live in a hilly area? I live in a flat area so I simulated hills by doing hard intervals in the highest gear possible. It helped some. I was also able to get out and do some longer rides in hillier areas. (One Saturday I drove about an hour away to get some hillier terrain and did two long rides while we were away for the weekend in hillier locales.)

Training here has been non-existent. It was one bad cold, then getting the house ready for sale, then vacation then another bad cold. Finally got out on my bike for the first outdoor ride of the year. Slower than I was for IMWI, but at least I am faster than I was this time last year (at 6.5 months pregnant).

Enjoyed my first mother's day yesterday. Tried not to do any "work" but that didn't really happen, not my style. Hoping to get a swim in tonight. Finally starting to feel human again after the cold.

DS still isn't sleeping through the night, but we finally have naps down. He is usually up three times a night now, so at most I'm getting about 2 hours of sleep at a time. I think we are going to cut him off from night nursing this weekend though, he really is just suckling at night time to soothe himself back to sleep, not really nursing. he is able to fall asleep on his own for naps and at bed time, so hopefully he will catch on quickly. (He turned 9 months last week and is a BIG boy. He is 18 month clothing! crawling like a champ, pulling himself to standing and getting into a sitting position - not from his belly, he does a full on sit up from lying on his back.
2014-05-12 10:01 AM
in reply to: Daffodil

User image

18 month clothing at 9 months?!?!?!?! My DS is really small- he's 17 months and SOME 18 month clothing fits him, though it usually has to be rolled. He's 21 pounds!
Where I live is also really really flat and I definitely don't simulate hills enough; although, I am now starting to do morning rides. I need to find a way to get up earlier- 5:45 is about as early as I'm able to do lately. Sickness has also been an issue- this weekend was food poisoning followed by some dehydration, so today's workout didn't happen.
I'm actually considering joining a gym near where I live (about 5 minutes away). They're open early AND have a pool. This way I can swim before DS and DW get up. Currently I've been swimming at a private school farther away, but with the schedule, I can only get in one 45ish minute session a week because DW and I have to reverse some of our roles.
Have a great week everybody!
Originally posted by Daffodil

3000 feet is a lot for a half! I think that is comparable to the wisconsin full course in terms of amount of climbing per distance biked. Do you live in a hilly area? I live in a flat area so I simulated hills by doing hard intervals in the highest gear possible. It helped some. I was also able to get out and do some longer rides in hillier areas. (One Saturday I drove about an hour away to get some hillier terrain and did two long rides while we were away for the weekend in hillier locales.)

Training here has been non-existent. It was one bad cold, then getting the house ready for sale, then vacation then another bad cold. Finally got out on my bike for the first outdoor ride of the year. Slower than I was for IMWI, but at least I am faster than I was this time last year (at 6.5 months pregnant).

Enjoyed my first mother's day yesterday. Tried not to do any "work" but that didn't really happen, not my style. Hoping to get a swim in tonight. Finally starting to feel human again after the cold.

DS still isn't sleeping through the night, but we finally have naps down. He is usually up three times a night now, so at most I'm getting about 2 hours of sleep at a time. I think we are going to cut him off from night nursing this weekend though, he really is just suckling at night time to soothe himself back to sleep, not really nursing. he is able to fall asleep on his own for naps and at bed time, so hopefully he will catch on quickly. (He turned 9 months last week and is a BIG boy. He is 18 month clothing! crawling like a champ, pulling himself to standing and getting into a sitting position - not from his belly, he does a full on sit up from lying on his back.
2014-05-12 5:51 PM
in reply to: sethjk

User image

New user
San Rafael, California
I live in a pretty hilly area, so 3000 feet of climbing doesn't seem like that much in an afternoon. Not that I plan my rides to take advantage of all the wonderful hills around me.

My little guy is 23 months, and still in 18 month clothing. He weighs 22 lbs soaking wet and in clothes. But on a good note, he can say bike, swim, and run. I just want him to say daddy swim, bike and run.

In other news, my swim today was great up until about 3200 yards, when I got a sharp pain in the side of my shin. I figure it is overuse, and something I need to use the foam roller on.

Hope everyone's training is going well.
2014-05-19 8:37 PM

User image

Expert
wore the outfit I wore at IMWI <-- tonight for a ride. I have a long way to go... definitely not looking as fit as I looked in my avatar picture!!! (I guess it makes sense since I am SO not as fit, I weigh about the same, but then I was training close to 20 hours a week so my body composition was a titch different.)

2014-05-19 11:20 PM
in reply to: Daffodil

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
My daughter did her first KOS this weekend, it was so awesome& cute!!! I got her a zoot tri suit and it is beyond adorable.....I'm so beyond proud to see her finish and I was along side of her in each part (she's only 4) , she gave it her all , and never once wanted to stop. She is a pretty reserved girl but during the race her confidence and determination really shined through. She had a total game face on the entire time and even got mad at me when i tried to help her up a hill on her bike. She says' mom I can do it my self, I don't help you on your races do I??" She had a smile on her face every step of the way and was so excited to get the medal at the end. She totally had the "racer high" all day too & she is already asking when she can do another. I've signed her up for another next month which I will also race, super excited for it as it's the course I used to train on before we moved!

My training is going on schedule, getting in to some bigger volumes on the bike which is great. Feeling my run is solid & ready for my next half marathon in 2 weeks in San Diego with my hubby & some friends! (woohoo adults only trip!!)

I've been working on my swim and after a swim endurance class I took, i manage to knock 2 1/2 min off my 500m which i'm so happy about. I'm starting back the classes next week so hope to improve some more.
2014-05-21 4:48 AM
in reply to: rydergal

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Sounds like people are starting to get going with some good training and racing out there. How is everyone finding the weather at the moment? We had a bit of a heat wave this weekend, which was lovely, although it made for a warm day at parkrun on Saturday morning. But we also smashed our previous attendance record, with 364 people taking part - not bad for a free event run by volunteers that happens every week!

My "training" is pretty much approaching non-existent. Turns out that pregnancy and training don't really fit together well for me. My joints are falling apart, so I had to stop running as my knees were really suffering. I'm still doing parkrun, but walking it. I'm also having problems with my pelvis, so wearing a support belt every day, which is making everything manageable, but that's about as good as it's going to get now. I'm sitting on a giant ball at work (and at home a bit), which is all helping, but this is definitely keeping things ok, rather than good. So my regular training has pretty much got to the point where I'm doing parkrun (5k walk), pregnancy pilates and aquanatal each week. They're the things that I have an actual allocated time for, which is why I'm managing to get there. Everything else has kind of gone out of the window. I've been trying to get to the swim sessions, but work is getting in the way a lot, and on my non-work weeks I've had a variety of disruptions, including a weekend away, and last week the pool was closed at the last minute! So swimming is taking a hit, which is a shame, because really that should be the one thing I'm still able to do.

On the positive side, the pregnancy is progressing fine. My 20 week scan showed everything to be as healthy as they can see at that point, and I'm getting loads of kicks and things at the moment, which is really comforting because I know he's ok if he's moving around. We've got a "babymoon" booked for a couple of weeks time, which I'm really looking forward to. We decided to splash out a bit as it's probably going to be the last long haul holiday we have for a while, so we'll be spending 10 nights in Mexico chilling out and enjoying the sun.
2014-06-09 2:27 PM

User image

New user
San Rafael, California
Hi all,

It seems everyone has been very busy lately, but I wanted to share that I completed my first half ironman this past weekend. I had a good swim, and a decent bike, but then the heat caught up to me (it was 106 when I finished). Here is the race report. Hope everyone's training is going well.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Dan
2014-06-09 3:16 PM

User image

Cleveland OH
Here is my report from my first Oly this year. my first Half Ironman is in 2 weeks. Getting nervous

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 14

RELATED POSTS

New Year New You...reopened for late comers Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by Wumba41
Views: 28301 Posts: 712

2014-12-30 6:44 PM [email protected]

What off-season? Early season racers Mentor Group - OPEN! Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15

Started by ratherbeswimming
Views: 16937 Posts: 358

2014-05-12 2:12 PM HelmoAlkou

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15721 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 28928 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 13, 2013
author : BellaDad
comments : 8
Moms and Dads, here are the five ways I’ve learned to succeed at triathlon and keep the peace at home.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : October 2, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
As a sports-parent, you can be a good role model for athleticism and healthful food choices. What can you do to regain control without becoming the food police?

date : February 28, 2005
author : mamakt
Be a better mother/wife/employee by putting yourself first.
date : September 11, 2004
author : westfried
Fact is, it's tough. Best bet is to do the training that you can, and let the chips fall where they may.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.