BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2014-06-16 3:17 PM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

Subject: RE: Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN
Ok it is official I have completed my first Triathlon ! This past Saturday I competed and finished (up right) a Try a Tri here in Welland ON. What an incredible experience, to have family and friends wishing me well and to have a huge cheering section the day of the race. To see my older daughter running along the grass beside the course as I sprinted to the finish line, to hear her little voice giving me encouragement and saying "don't stop now Dad". From a spiritual side what an uplifting day.... my body was so tired but my spirit was overflowing. To share this with my kids and family and co workers and friends.... WOW.

Now to switch gears and talk analytically about my race..... I need more open water swim practice..with a suit! The swim (400 meters) was far more challenging then I planned for. I can swim in the pool at the YMCA till the cows come home but the minute I got in the open water it was a different thing entirely.

The transition to bike went well and my bike (10Km) was acceptable. I didn't log enough training time on my bike , on the road. I have some room for improvement in becoming a bit more fluid while I ride.

Transition 2 was when I really started to feel the fatigue. Could have used a bit of a pick me up prior to starting the run, I really felt like the tank was empty. The first 1 km was pure me not giving in to my body and then the last 1.5km was me in the zone.

So what's next? I am going to find a club with a great coach to give me the knowledge I lacked this time. I will continue to train for what ever is next.

Thanks to everyone from the board for the advice, articles and encouragement

Chris

2014-06-23 7:49 PM
in reply to: Cseabrook

User image

Cleveland OH
Great report Chris,
Congratulations on your first Tri. Practice makes perfect bud. Just have to practice every discipline untill you start to feel like you got the hang of it. This is my 3rd year in Tri and I am just now starting to feel comfortable in OWS.

Good Luck to you, and hire a coach if you can afford it.

Todd
2014-07-07 9:49 AM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

I have been MIA for quite a while, but I always love reading all the posts.

I just wanted to say that I have officially singed up for my first sprint. It's in August and I'm really excited!!

It's a pool swim (300 m), 12.2 mile bike, and 3.1 mile run. Scared and excited all at once!

For my first sprint ever I was considering buying a tri suit to make my transitions easier and just so I have less to worry about. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced, good quality brand?

Thanks!!
2014-07-12 2:16 PM
in reply to: RachelLee85

User image

New user
San Rafael, California
Hi,

Gratz on signing up for your first tri! I would recommend going to a local store which sells Tri gear and trying on a few to see which ones you like the most. I have one from Zoot, and another from Castelli. Both are good, but I like the pockets on the Zoot shirt as they are wider and deeper. The Castelli shorts are very comfortable though. It is just a matter of preference of what you like, and what feels good on your body.

Hope that helps.

Dan
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 14

RELATED POSTS

New Year New You...reopened for late comers Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by Wumba41
Views: 28416 Posts: 712

2014-12-30 6:44 PM [email protected]

What off-season? Early season racers Mentor Group - OPEN! Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15

Started by ratherbeswimming
Views: 16984 Posts: 358

2014-05-12 2:12 PM HelmoAlkou

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15817 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29057 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 13, 2013
author : BellaDad
comments : 8
Moms and Dads, here are the five ways I’ve learned to succeed at triathlon and keep the peace at home.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : October 2, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
As a sports-parent, you can be a good role model for athleticism and healthful food choices. What can you do to regain control without becoming the food police?

date : February 28, 2005
author : mamakt
Be a better mother/wife/employee by putting yourself first.
date : September 11, 2004
author : westfried
Fact is, it's tough. Best bet is to do the training that you can, and let the chips fall where they may.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.