General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aqua bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-18 4:15 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: Aqua bike
NEW FOR 2014 -

The Lake Minnetonka Triathlon will be hosting the first AquaBike event to be held in the State of Minnesota. AquaBike is a USAT recognized event where participants race just the swim and bike portions of a triathlon. This is designed for people who can no longer run or who do not care for the run portion of a triathlon, but wish to remain active participants and enjoy the excitement of competition.

It will go as follows: The first AquaBike race will be limited to 50 participants. All AquaBike participants will begin in the last heat of the triathlon. Participants will swim and ride the regular race course. After the ride portion, the participants will be asked to run ~100 meters to complete the race at the official triathlon finish line, finishing with the rest of the racers.

Race registration will open on December 1st and the entry fee is $50.

Thanks! Ross Rogney

So this is posted on MNtrinews. Has anyone seen any more about this? I want to register!

Edited by peteweb55403 2013-12-18 4:16 PM

2013-12-18 5:01 PM
in reply to: peteweb55403

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Aqua bike
I saw it when I registered for the Tri is all. I thought I might be headed in that direction at one point, but am running more injury free (thank you Hoka!), so still doing all 3 events, knock on wood.
2013-12-19 8:53 AM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

The funny thing is that I like that run more than any other triathlon run I've done.  Super flat shady path?  Heck yeah.  But there are a bunch of other races I'd be interested in skipping the run.

What I would REALLY like is to skip the swim.

2013-12-21 8:38 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Minneapolis, MN
See I'm the opposite, ANY run is a good run to skip
2013-12-22 10:44 PM

User image

Regular
Pete. You couldn't be any happier with this event!

BTW, David's swim is getting close to your pace and watch out for him on the bike.
The boy is a BEAST!!!
Check out his workout on trainerroad.com
http://www.trainerroad.com/career/lvn300zx

2013-12-23 2:17 PM

I registered for it. Thanks for letting me know. I have to hold off on running right now due to an injury.

Question for this tri. i'm new to tri's and overweight. this will be first outdoor tri. Would a mountain bike be okay to bike in it or a hybrid???

Thanks!

2013-12-23 3:13 PM
in reply to: newbie1975

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Tri bike > road bike > hybrid with slicks > mountain bike with knobbies > bmx bike > Big Wheel > Unicycle > no bike

So, anything will work that you can ride 15 miles over a course with rolling hills, but to answer your question, slicks are better than knobbies for sure.
2013-12-23 9:27 PM
in reply to: Me XMan

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Originally posted by Me XMan

BTW, David's swim is getting close to your pace and watch out for him on the bike.
The boy is a BEAST!!!

I am going to say it out loud (that way I am held accountable): my goal is to have him not catch /pass me this year. I know it is lofty.

Is he going to enter any races longer than a sprint?
2013-12-24 3:26 PM

User image

Regular
At least one Olympic distance and likely Maple Grove Tri.
He also talking about HIM and Ironman but I told him to relax on them.
The boy can sustain 25mph for 40K bike and 6:30 pace for 10K run.
Just beware so you don't get disappointed if he passes you on the bike.
heheheheheeee...

Originally posted by peteweb55403

The boy is a BEAST!!!

I am going to say it out loud (that way I am held accountable): my goal is to have him not catch /pass me this year. I know it is lofty.

2014-01-12 6:14 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN

At least one Olympic distance and likely Maple Grove Tri.
He also talking about HIM and Ironman but I told him to relax on them.
The boy can sustain 25mph for 40K bike and 6:30 pace for 10K run.
Just beware so you don't get disappointed if he passes you on the bike.
heheheheheeee...

Originally posted by peteweb55403

The boy is a BEAST!!!

Carl. Do you know what oly distance races he is planning on doing?
2014-01-12 8:23 PM

User image

Regular
Just found out that David and his wife are expecting 2nd baby in June so he will be very busy in June and July.
He works as groundskeeper at Golden Valley CC and summer schedule is his most busy.
He doesn't know what races he's doing until his weekend on-call schedule is out.
I see he's not doing a lot of races this summer and if he does it will be short.
I know he's talking about defending his crown at Sprint in MG Tri.
He's going to be stressed out in June and July with family and work that I know.
I'm trying to get him sign up for Apple Duathlon.
He wants to compete against the Nat Champ Patrick Parish.
I had a good laugh at that.

2014-01-12 8:43 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN

Oh my gosh. Patrick Parrish is so fast! National champ is not be taken lightly.
2014-01-22 10:26 PM
in reply to: #4915251

User image

Minneapolis
I just signed up and I'm pumped! I haven't gone a season without a running injury so I won't miss it. I was debating giving up on multi-sport and just doing OWS and bike races.

I'm glad they're trying out aquabike, maybe it will catch on and get some longer races in MN.
2014-01-23 3:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I am curious about how this works with the bike dismount, being mixed in with with those doing the tri, etc.  I might have to come and watch.

Has anyone done aquabike before?  Do you dismount and then run your bike (and chip) over the finish line, or....? Nevermind, just reread what was posted above. I still think it will be a cluster...

2014-01-26 8:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Minnetonka, MN
this sounds amazing..... Thanks for posting.
I might have to consider this....

I don't think it will be too much of a mess. I think you do a T2, go out the "run out" then they probably have a cone that will circle you back to the finish line about the time get to the path. With only 50 people doing the aqua bike shouldn't be that bad. Its pretty clear where you have to run at that course.
2014-01-30 8:50 PM
in reply to: jaredfore

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis, MN
I may have to check this race out!

2014-04-28 2:18 PM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka
Hey everyone, It's been a while, but I've been keeping up with most of you on Facebook. Any how, I registered for this race, and I never seem to be able to run the run portion. Does anyone know if I can switch to AquaBike at this point ??

Hope to see you guys soon!

Jerry
2014-04-28 2:31 PM
in reply to: SoberTriGuy

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by SoberTriGuy Hey everyone, It's been a while, but I've been keeping up with most of you on Facebook. Any how, I registered for this race, and I never seem to be able to run the run portion. Does anyone know if I can switch to AquaBike at this point ?? Hope to see you guys soon! Jerry

I would contact the RD...   As soon as possible.  Good luck! 

2014-04-30 11:59 AM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka
Now I'm thinking, I really don't have a good excuse to not do the whole thing. I'll be the inspiration for fat guys everywhere! "If tTHAT guy can do it, so can I"...
2014-04-30 2:15 PM
in reply to: SoberTriGuy

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by SoberTriGuy Now I'm thinking, I really don't have a good excuse to not do the whole thing. I'll be the inspiration for fat guys everywhere! "If tTHAT guy can do it, so can I"...

Not to mention the throngs of mostly women who will be cheering for you at the finish line!  You know it will happen.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aqua bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

The dangers of biking

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 795 Posts: 3

2007-06-05 12:57 PM leapdog

biking milestone

Started by deutsch
Views: 876 Posts: 6

2007-05-29 9:04 AM leapdog

Paved bike route suggestions

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 1106 Posts: 20

2007-04-22 2:10 PM Hazelmn

st. paul bike classic

Started by autumn
Views: 941 Posts: 2

2006-08-22 10:03 AM BikerGrrrl

Ironman Bike Ride, April 30

Started by rabkaman
Views: 1606 Posts: 22

2006-05-05 3:38 PM autumn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2013
author : hoffsquared
comments : 7
After three triathlon seasons, I finally decided that I wanted to actually see well during the swim portion. My vision is not so great. I had to find better goggles.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.
date : September 3, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on proper tapering for a triathlon, aqua-jogging, shin splints, dismounting in T2, ITBS, and training burnout for a marathon.

date : July 3, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions regarding wetsuit for a Sprint, Master's swimming, TI, aqua jogging, HIM fueling and salt, power meters and Tri vs Road bike.
date : March 5, 2006
author : acbadger
Once I can run again I'm thinking about keeping it in the training plan as a substitute for a few of my short runs. Has anyone else done this for their marathon training?

date : May 30, 2005
author : bostic
Swimming has one of the cheapest gear requirements out there. If there’s one necessity any beginner triathlete can’t do without in the pool it’s a good, reliable set of goggles.