BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2014-02-24 7:26 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Subject: RE: Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL

SOOOO sick.  this sore throat i was fighting all last week is now a full-blown headcold.  Just want to get better.

and yes, i realize this could be part of the problem with my digestion.  but i did have a bad run prior to the cold.

rough estimate of my typical diet before compare to now - i think i am eating significantly more fiber.  i ate kind of healthy, but nowhere near the amount of veggies i eat now, so maybe that is it?  i will be able to reintroduce grains and legumes before the race, i'm just worried about getting a decent training run in before then.  but gotta get rid of this damn cold first.  UGH!

2014-02-24 1:57 PM
in reply to: #4954362

Having a hard time with W30 today. I want off. Not to eat anything crazy...I just want some oatmeal and a protein shake...what the hell craving for Bro foods? I waivered and was going to quit but I set a goal and I am going to make it until Friday (end of the month). Diet was okay over the weekend. I am sticking to calories and working out.
2014-02-24 2:03 PM
in reply to: #4954787

Check this out because there are some things with fiber. Hope you feel better soon.

http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/gas-bloating-fiber
2014-02-25 7:55 AM
in reply to: michmich

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

still sick - but still 100% compliant on the whole 30 - i lasted 16 days when i thought i'd only make it a week.  some of the recipes i made this week are linked in my training blog - i strongly recommend both!

god, does being sick make me want starchy foods BAD!  doesn't help that you can't pick up day quil without walking through TONS AND TONS of candy!  they were getting their easter display stocked up yesterday when i went in - pallets of crap everywhere!

2014-02-25 2:53 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Sorry to hear you're sick, Marilyn. Rest up and get healthy for Shamrock.

As far as digestion...I'm with George - a good cup of coffee in the morning is what I need! Not sure if it's whole30 related or not, but the podcasts on paleo that I listen to frequently say that shifting to good eating does take time for digestion to catch on...(and then when you eat like crap after eating clean, the GI system is so P.O'd at you, digestion is not a problem...um. Yeah. TMI.)

Things are good here - clean eating 80/20 and not at all around my long training. I won't tell you what I'm eating on the run because I don't want to set off any one's cravings...but it isn't on the whole 30 list for sure.
2014-02-25 7:35 PM
in reply to: #4954795

Got through today kind of easy. I have to say with this W30 I have gotten backIin the habit of cooking almost every day. It is not hard when I plan ahead. Yesterday, I made last night's dinner and purposely made extra for tonight's dinner. Today while waiting for dinner to cook in oven (the veggie to the meat I made last night) I made my lunch for tomorrow. I do not premake my breakfast as the only things I like leftover for breakfast is 4 letters with 2 Z's or chinese. Either way, 25 down, 3 to go. Note...I am not making it to Sunday. I already know that. 4 weeks aka 28 days and I am happy.

2014-02-25 11:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Marilyn - I went and looked at the Apple & Butternut Squash Pulled Pork Casserole and it looks really good. I saved the site to my favourites and I'll check out some of her other recipes as well. Have you tried her Quick & Easy Dark Chocolate Mousse? It also looked really good. I'm hungry now.

Plus, today I just happened to catch a brief bit on Dr. Oz and he was recommending Magnesium supplements for a number of things including a sluggish bowel. I wouldn't think this is your problem because you're eating pretty healthy but you could supplement with it from now until your race and see if it helps or if you like it. Just a thought.

Thanks for the recipes.

I managed to eat well today but after looking at some recipes this evening I'm hungry again.

Edited by wenceslasz 2014-02-25 11:33 PM
2014-02-27 4:30 PM
in reply to: #4915315

My "A" race for the year is the only OLY distance I am doing in Nov 2014. I was supposed to do it last year but due to stuff outside my control, I wasn't able to. I bought my entry for this race the day after the 2013 one was over. There is a sprint in the same location in July and I have been waiting and waiting to see if they would have it this year. It woulf be my test of the location to see what I need to prep for. They finally opened the race yesterday and I am ecstatic!!! You would have thought I won the lottery or something!
2014-02-27 9:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by michmich

My "A" race for the year is the only OLY distance I am doing in Nov 2014. I was supposed to do it last year but due to stuff outside my control, I wasn't able to. I bought my entry for this race the day after the 2013 one was over. There is a sprint in the same location in July and I have been waiting and waiting to see if they would have it this year. It woulf be my test of the location to see what I need to prep for. They finally opened the race yesterday and I am ecstatic!!! You would have thought I won the lottery or something!

It's nice when a plan comes together for you, eh. Should help to get you excited for your "A" race.

2014-02-28 9:40 AM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by enders_shadow Sorry to hear you're sick, Marilyn. Rest up and get healthy for Shamrock. As far as digestion...I'm with George - a good cup of coffee in the morning is what I need! Not sure if it's whole30 related or not, but the podcasts on paleo that I listen to frequently say that shifting to good eating does take time for digestion to catch on...(and then when you eat like crap after eating clean, the GI system is so P.O'd at you, digestion is not a problem...um. Yeah. TMI.) Things are good here - clean eating 80/20 and not at all around my long training. I won't tell you what I'm eating on the run because I don't want to set off any one's cravings...but it isn't on the whole 30 list for sure.

I think this is what is happening with my digestion.  Things are finally starting to...move.  Haha.  I love watching cooking shows/reading pinterest recipes/talking about food even when I am on a restrictive diet.  Honestly, the one thing I miss the most is a glass of wine!  I'm cooking the most amazing meals because of this diet and I just wish I could pour the perfect glass of red to enjoy with the stuffed pork chops, or a crisp glass of pinot grigio with the shrimp alfredo i made last night!

2014-02-28 12:56 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
How's everyone hanging in? Congrats on making it to the end of the whole 30 (28), michmich! And glad to hear things are better, Marilyn. Nice wine pairing choices - after the whole 30, maybe add the wine back in?

Tonight is my daughter's birthday party - 6 tweens, pizza, cake, and ice cream...yikes. (And probably a glass of wine or 3 to deal with all the squealing and giggling!!!)

2014-03-01 10:57 AM
in reply to: #4956844

Hi Everyone!
Whole28 is doooooneeee!!! I had a lot of fun figuring out what worked for me and getting off the sugar train. I realize
I really don't need protein powder to meet my goals and cooking everyday can be done.

For March I am sticking to a calorie and macronutrient controlled diet. I am working on my bike cadence and consistent training for all sports while still taking time to work on hip and weight lift.

I did a 27 mile ride this morning and that is more than what I have done all 2014. I hurt but glad to have gotten it done. I have a 25 mile group ride next Saturday as well. I will be racing this month with 2 5ks on deck. Working on getting to April 1 a fitter and quicker me.
2014-03-03 7:16 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by michmich Hi Everyone! Whole28 is doooooneeee!!! I had a lot of fun figuring out what worked for me and getting off the sugar train. I realize I really don't need protein powder to meet my goals and cooking everyday can be done. For March I am sticking to a calorie and macronutrient controlled diet.  

This is a huge switch from one thing to another.  Why did you decide to do this?  I don't ever want to go back to counting calories again!

2014-03-03 8:31 AM
in reply to: #4957655

For the last 18 days or so of Whole 30 I was counting my calories and macros so not a big switch. I am overweight and I can eat...a lot so I really need to monitor it until I get back down to where I need to be. I actually don't mind (I am type A) and it makes me not get crazy when I know I am eating right, working out, sleeping but scale not moving. I KNOW I am doing everything right so easier to relax.
2014-03-03 10:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Hi, I've been quiet but eating fairly well and enjoying most of it. Still enjoying some green smoothies as well.

I keep daily track of my workouts but I'm not very good at keeping track of my calories or the nutrients. I should be more like you "guys".

I had a long bike ride on Saturday. I was sure glad when it was over. I still have two more weeks of cycling classes then I hope to be able to get riding outside again. Today, I swam with my regular group and our coach sprang a 300m TT on us. I started out fast but told myself to slow down and pace myself. I possibly could have pushed myself a bit faster but at the end I was pleased to have knocked 16secs. off my previous fastest time. My time today was 6:38 which isn't fast but pretty decent for me. I think open water in a wetsuit I should be able to beat 2:00/100m (I hope).

2014-03-04 6:09 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

i think i'm allergic/intolerant to coconut!!

i have always kind of hated eating coconut - i like the taste of it but the texture of coconut flakes (on a pie, for example) just has ALWAYS grossed me out.

well, in the course of whole 30, you lean on coconut for fat a lot.  i cook with coconut oil daily.  no issues.  last week i made a mock-alfredo sauce out of coconut milk.  the next morning i had such awful stomach cramps, i wanted to die.  yesterday, i tried coconut milk in my coffee, and had stomach cramps all day again.  i think it is possibly an aversion to the protein in the meat of a coconut!  i am able to drink coconut water - if it has no additives to it (vita coco brand is clean) but some brands have made me sick.

so interesting to discover this thanks to whole 30!  now off to toss that last bit of coconut milk in the fridge i was saving for today's coffee ;-)

2014-03-05 12:47 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

hi everyone - still hanging in there?  

2014-03-05 11:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by mehaner

i have always kind of hated eating coconut - i like the taste of it but the texture of coconut flakes (on a pie, for example) just has ALWAYS grossed me out.

well, in the course of whole 30, you lean on coconut for fat a lot.  i cook with coconut oil daily.  no issues.  last week i made a mock-alfredo sauce out of coconut milk.  the next morning i had such awful stomach cramps, i wanted to die.  yesterday, i tried coconut milk in my coffee, and had stomach cramps all day again.  i think it is possibly an aversion to the protein in the meat of a coconut!  i am able to drink coconut water - if it has no additives to it (vita coco brand is clean) but some brands have made me sick.

so interesting to discover this thanks to whole 30!  now off to toss that last bit of coconut milk in the fridge i was saving for today's coffee ;-)

I think I'd get rid of any coconut protein too, if I was getting nasty cramps. Lucky at least that you're still able to use the coconut oil though. I tried to drink coconut water and it was "ok". I just couldn't muster much enthusiasm for it.

How do you feel about Almond milk? It doesn't have much protein (I think it is 1g per cup). I really like it in the smoothies I make. If you have time it isn't too hard to make your own either.

Any other good lessons from your whole30?

I was off-line for a couple days due to some computer problem. I did everything I could to fix it and went to Staples and bought an $80 highly technical "thingy" and that didn't work so I took my laptop to my wife and she fixed it in less than 10 minutes!! I know she's the technophile in the family but I just thought I should try and fix it myself but I was wrong...again.

Had a decent swim and run today. I've been running a consistent 5miles several times a week for a while now and my pace is quite slow but consistent at 7:18-ish /km or approx. 11:45/mi. I'm scheduled for a big jump in time/distance on Friday. I'm supposed to run for 1:30 or about 12km/7.5mi. I'm hoping I can maintain my pace for the whole time.

Food wise, I've been really enjoying my food and not missing any of the junk. I do get occasional cravings for things I miss having but if I've got something else planned I don't have any difficulty getting over the cravings. I do find snacks hard to plan and prepare for though.
2014-03-06 8:21 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by wenceslasz

I think I'd get rid of any coconut protein too, if I was getting nasty cramps. Lucky at least that you're still able to use the coconut oil though. I tried to drink coconut water and it was "ok". I just couldn't muster much enthusiasm for it. How do you feel about Almond milk? It doesn't have much protein (I think it is 1g per cup). I really like it in the smoothies I make. If you have time it isn't too hard to make your own either. Any other good lessons from your whole30?

I only like coconut water when I really need refreshing - like after a 10 mile run on a 70 degree day.  its not a normal thing for me.  i don't enjoy it unless it's when i truly need it.

i have been drinking almond milk for years - quit dairy milk a while ago.  i find it's an easy substitute in cooking and the occasional cereal.  i don't really care for smoothies - no interest in drinking my food - i've always been that way.  HOWEVER most store bought almond milk has nasty additives in it.  i will look into making it but i don't really need milk more than the occasional little bit in baking - for that i can use the husband's dairy milk!

2014-03-06 10:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
My wife made some Almond milk today (about 3 litres). It doesn't take her long to do but the only trouble is without any additives the Almond Milk has to be consumed within 5 days at the most. I find it good to drink but I do still drink some 1% milk.

Does anyone have an event coming up pretty quick? I know Kristen is March 16th. Anyone else? I have about 14 weeks to my first event.
2014-03-07 5:52 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by wenceslasz My wife made some Almond milk today (about 3 litres). It doesn't take her long to do but the only trouble is without any additives the Almond Milk has to be consumed within 5 days at the most. I find it good to drink but I do still drink some 1% milk. Does anyone have an event coming up pretty quick? I know Kristen is March 16th. Anyone else? I have about 14 weeks to my first event.

I'm running the same event as Kristen!  (she is running the full, I am only the half)

I definitely could NOT consume 3 L of almond milk in 5 days.  1 L from the store usually lasts me over a month!  can you freeze it?

2014-03-09 8:40 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

apparently i didn't finish the whole 30 (check my blog).  but i had a fun friday!

almond milk really does look easy to make and it seems that it will be much cheaper than buying.  i will try later this week!

2014-03-09 11:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

apparently i didn't finish the whole 30 (check my blog).  but i had a fun friday!

almond milk really does look easy to make and it seems that it will be much cheaper than buying.  i will try later this week!

I was just talking to my wife about making the Almond milk. I gather you can freeze it (recommended to be frozen in ice cube trays) but there is a risk of it separating. However, my wife suggested you can make any amount at a time by just using less water. So, if you like it a bit creamy use less water and if you like it more watery then use more.

I did peak at your blog for Friday. I have no idea what grits or ketel are. I have a bit of confusion on "sweet potatoes" as I know of yams and sweet potatoes but we call the orangy ones Yams and the whiter ones Sweet potatoes. Is that the way you do it? Or, the opposite? I like what I know of as Yams but not very keen on sweet potatoes.

In looking at how you're eating I think you're doing really well with your eating, very impressive, and I think you're right about letting go on occasion but "not going crazy". Your digestive problems are surprising considering how well you're eating. If you were asking about IBS I would have said you should do exactly what you're doing to prevent it.

It seems we've gotten pretty quiet here but I hope you'll hang in at least long enough to tell me how your run goes. A fellow I run with just emailed me tonight about a run (HM or 10K) coming up April 13th so that might be my start of the season. I ran 12km/7.5mi on Friday - very slow (1:30) but it felt pretty good although I was stiff on Saturday after a 2.5hr bike trainer ride.
2014-03-10 5:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

i am not so sure about the difference between sweet potatoes and yams - i think they are the same exact thing (in the states at least).  my sweet potatoes are orange (but they come in purple and white sometimes!)

ketel one is a higher quality vodka (danger - it tastes like water)

grits are far more difficult to explain.  it is a part of the corn kernel - the same part used to make polenta - the part you grind up to make cornmeal.  in the southern US, grits are usually soaked, boiled, and cooked in lots of cheese and hot sauce.  i was probably 26 before i had my first grit - they are VERY regional!  shrimp and grits is a common combination here.  there is a local restaurant that makes theirs with some andouille sausage and the grits are formed into patties and fried up a little - one of my favorite meals in THE WORLD.

Edited by mehaner 2014-03-10 5:52 AM
2014-03-11 12:14 PM
in reply to: #4915315

I only made it to day 28 of Whole 30 so you are in good company. Funnily enough when I was "off" and able to eat whatever, I am still using many of the meals I was eating before so it is all good.

I make almond milk, hemp milk and coconut milk. Hemp is only one I can do on regular basis since I use Hemp Seed Hearts (the shelled hemp seeds...it is at Costco) and just have to blend when I need it. Almond milk is one of those things to taste. I hate it watery so 1 part almonds to 2 parts water for me. Coconut I make because we use that in Jamaican dishes. It is in a can easy but taste is different.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL Rss Feed  

of 18

RELATED POSTS

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 19557 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 23858 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15723 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 28930 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : May 12, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I'm too slow for some group rides and of course I want to increase it for races. What exercise/training should I be focusing on?
date : March 5, 2009
author : mrakes1
Discussions on an eating plan to lose weight, lean protein sources, being hungry, recovery foods, eggs and Marni's favorite supplements.

date : March 2, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 5
Dirty bike chain? Have you ever thought about cleaning it? We cover the basics of how to clean your bike chain and the use of different cleaners, degreasers and lubricants.
date : April 1, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Coaches and parents alike want their athletes to eat well and be healthy. The struggling athletes just want people to stop policing their eating and exercise.

date : February 7, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
The suggestions guide you towards an eating style that's simple and practical, yet can effectively help you eat well to perform well, despite today’s bewildering food environment.