BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2014-04-08 6:11 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Subject: RE: 70.3 Race Review

WOOO HOOO!!!! Fantastic result, Todd!! Great to hear it went so well, especially after the struggle of Racine  last year. GO IRONMAN 

2014-04-08 7:52 AM

User image

That's fantastic, great story! Completing a 70.3 is really inspiring, well done!
2014-04-08 5:02 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed
Nice Job!!!! great ride in the rain and mist
2014-04-08 7:53 PM
in reply to: peto_primo

User image

I've just had a chance to really catch up. Congrats to all of you racers! Thanks for the details Todd. It's epic in the amount of time and effort that gets put into such a short(comparatively) event. I'm looking forward to the experience myself. What i'd love to hear about is how satisfied you all are. Regardless of meeting or not living up to expectations, Id love your thoughts on how "worth it" it was.

2014-04-08 10:43 PM
in reply to: 2gs

User image

Go Turtles,

Great efforts by Todd, Taringa & Darcie at the weekend.

You all should be pleased with your results.

Rod
2014-04-10 6:34 PM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Thank you everyone for the messages and well wishes. On Monday my right eye was hard to open and close and my head felt terrible....the pollen count here is HORRIFIC right now. My midnight blue car looks like it is green from the layer of yellow pollen. I went to the doctor and was out on Zyrtec, Sudafed and Flonase. All of it has made me tired. Today was my first day up and around all week long. I was suppose to do two small workouts on Tuesday and Weds but I slept instead. I got my call early this year to go back to work. I have to drive 8 hours round trip tomorrow to do my paperwork and drug test and I start work Monday till the end of June. I hate the drive and knowing it will be sooo boring and long makes it even worse.

My Du is Saturday morning and now that work is back who knows when I can train. We work horrible long hours. I am going to try and give it my all for Saturday. I hope I am feeling better by then. I can't stand being sick!!! Great job again Todd and Taringa on your races!!!!

2014-04-11 5:42 AM
in reply to: Pixiedustlady

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Hey Pixie, good luck for the race tomorrow and I hope the hayfever settles down for it! It's no fun trying to do anything with a blocked up head, let alone race, but I reckon you have the determination to make it through .

I've had a pretty good week, back to the training after the tri and feeling better about it all. I've done a few shorter, higher intensity sessions during the week which really got the blood pumping and made me feel alive, which was great. Tomorrow I'm waking my 4 year old daughter up early so we can go in the local Parkrun together, she's very excited about it. "I want to win the running race, mum, will we win?" With 250 other people, some of whom regularly break 18 minutes for the 5k distance, I seriously doubt it, sweetheart! Hopefully she'll enjoy it though, and it should be a good way to burn off some of that excess 4-year-old energy she has. Then I'm aiming for a nice long bike ride on Sunday, 45-50km with some hills. Got to start to get that hill strength up!

Have a great weekend everyone!

~Anna

2014-04-11 6:37 AM
in reply to: mbrassette

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Congrats to all the racers, you guys rock!

When I decided to roll over in bed, I thought uh-oh, you need a peach day (peach challenge)! Plus everyone is out there getting their race or workout on.
Got up, made it to spin class. Afterwards, talking to the instructor and about toning my core and strength. She decided to show me core Pilates exercises I could do as I have never done formal Pilates before. I didn't that many but my abs are going to be sore.
2014-04-11 12:56 PM
in reply to: 2gs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by 2gs

I've just had a chance to really catch up. Congrats to all of you racers! Thanks for the details Todd. It's epic in the amount of time and effort that gets put into such a short(comparatively) event. I'm looking forward to the experience myself. What i'd love to hear about is how satisfied you all are. Regardless of meeting or not living up to expectations, Id love your thoughts on how "worth it" it was.

I can tell you that I've never crossed the finish line and felt like the work i put in was a waste. I am so much healthier now then before I started all of this and really do look at it as a lifestyle. I had one race where I was very ill, it was raining, and I hadn't training properly. That day was a little miserable but I also took it as a positive because I faught thru. I can tell you that for me now the biggest difference is the way i feel when I toe the line. While I know I'm not gonna place i know that I have earned the right to start with everyone else because I put in the work. When I started I did just enough and everything was about finishing. Now I know I'll finish and set personal goals. I hope this is kind of what you were asking about.
2014-04-11 1:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Pixiedustlady

Thank you everyone for the messages and well wishes. On Monday my right eye was hard to open and close and my head felt terrible....the pollen count here is HORRIFIC right now. My midnight blue car looks like it is green from the layer of yellow pollen. I went to the doctor and was out on Zyrtec, Sudafed and Flonase. All of it has made me tired. Today was my first day up and around all week long. I was suppose to do two small workouts on Tuesday and Weds but I slept instead. I got my call early this year to go back to work. I have to drive 8 hours round trip tomorrow to do my paperwork and drug test and I start work Monday till the end of June. I hate the drive and knowing it will be sooo boring and long makes it even worse.

My Du is Saturday morning and now that work is back who knows when I can train. We work horrible long hours. I am going to try and give it my all for Saturday. I hope I am feeling better by then. I can't stand being sick!!! Great job again Todd and Taringa on your races!!!!

Sometimes forced rest is the best thing that can happen to us. I had similar last year before my Olympic and thought how terrible it was. Race day came and I was fresh and had a great race, probably better then if I got in the workouts that week. Things have a way of working out and I'm hoping that will be the situation with you. Best of luck and enjoy yourself
2014-04-11 1:04 PM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Taringa

Hey Pixie, good luck for the race tomorrow and I hope the hayfever settles down for it! It's no fun trying to do anything with a blocked up head, let alone race, but I reckon you have the determination to make it through .

I've had a pretty good week, back to the training after the tri and feeling better about it all. I've done a few shorter, higher intensity sessions during the week which really got the blood pumping and made me feel alive, which was great. Tomorrow I'm waking my 4 year old daughter up early so we can go in the local Parkrun together, she's very excited about it. "I want to win the running race, mum, will we win?" With 250 other people, some of whom regularly break 18 minutes for the 5k distance, I seriously doubt it, sweetheart! Hopefully she'll enjoy it though, and it should be a good way to burn off some of that excess 4-year-old energy she has. Then I'm aiming for a nice long bike ride on Sunday, 45-50km with some hills. Got to start to get that hill strength up!

Have a great weekend everyone!

~Anna

Great story Anna, and glad to hear you are getting some work and quality time in with the daughter. Enjoy your ride on Sunday. When is your half?

2014-04-11 1:06 PM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Lovey

Congrats to all the racers, you guys rock!

When I decided to roll over in bed, I thought uh-oh, you need a peach day (peach challenge)! Plus everyone is out there getting their race or workout on.
Got up, made it to spin class. Afterwards, talking to the instructor and about toning my core and strength. She decided to show me core Pilates exercises I could do as I have never done formal Pilates before. I didn't that many but my abs are going to be sore.

It's amazing how much that peach challenge can get us out of bed and going just to see a colored box. I know for me that when I started it last year is when I really changed how i went at all of this. Great job and keep it up!
2014-04-11 2:15 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Now I'm confused...what's a peach challenge?
2014-04-11 3:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

The peach challenge is in the challenge forum. Short answer is that when you do something and log it the calendar in your training log turn peach colored to indicate a logged activity on that day. So the thing is to have all peach colored boxes around the day for the month. The logged activity can be anything from s, b, r, strength, or any of the items listed under sport, so something as easy as a logged stretch gets you a peachy day.
2014-04-11 3:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area

On you training log, do you notice that each time you enter a workout, that day turns peach on the calendar.
One of the challenges tjis month on the Challenge Forum is "April's Peach Challenge".
The challenge is to get as many peach days as possible. it forces me to do something every day. If its my rest day, I can do yoga or a long stretching session.
2014-04-11 8:39 PM

User image

Thank you Anna for the awesome message!! Thanks to everyone who has sent me a message or a post about my race tomorrow. It has been a horrible week for me and today I should of been resting and packing my gear but instead I had to drive up to Charlotte and sign the paperwork for my next job that starts at 7 on Monday!!!!! uhhhhhggg earlier this year then last!! I am going to give it my all tomorrow and want to thank those who helped me get here... Cassowary, Graham, Todd, Ron, Anna..... you pushed me and kept me in the RIGHT frame of mind... I NEEDED that because I had no one to train with hubby has surgery and then it did freak snow storms so no outside bike riding,,,, had to work with what I could do.... I will feel all of you each and every mile as I go through the race and I will be so happy when it is over and I am across the finish line.....I have doubts I wont make the time I know that sounds lame but that's how I feel right now.... I am bib 331 if anyone wants to track me on www.setupsports.com White Lake Duathlon I got my bag all packed and my bike full of nutrition tires checked and chain greased...hubby went over each bolt to make sure it was ready to go!! ahhhh I need to go to bed now!!

Good night Turtles!!!! woohooo!!!

2014-04-12 6:11 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Nice one Darcie, good luck for the big race and we're all looking forward to the race report . I'm sure you'll do fine!

Todd and Lovey, that makes sense, I like to see all the boxes coloured in on the calendar. I didn't know there was a challenge thread for it, but I haven't been over to the challenge forum for quite a while. Must head back over there one day....maybe for May.

My 5km run with my daughter this morning was a little shorter than expected. She started out well, found one of her little childcare friends so they ran along holding hands for the first 200 metres, then it all got too hard, she had to walk, then be piggybacked. After a bit of cajoling we made it to around the halfway mark, then she decided she'd had enough and wanted to play on the swings and slides instead.  We had a picnic breakfast and sat and cheered some of the other runners (including her friend, being carried by her mum) through the flags, so it was quite a pleasant morning.  I'm claiming the run/walk as a strength session, as I carried an extra 15kg for most of it!

2014-04-12 8:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Nice one Darcie, good luck for the big race and we're all looking forward to the race report . I'm sure you'll do fine!

Todd and Lovey, that makes sense, I like to see all the boxes coloured in on the calendar. I didn't know there was a challenge thread for it, but I haven't been over to the challenge forum for quite a while. Must head back over there one day....maybe for May.

My 5km run with my daughter this morning was a little shorter than expected. She started out well, found one of her little childcare friends so they ran along holding hands for the first 200 metres, then it all got too hard, she had to walk, then be piggybacked. After a bit of cajoling we made it to around the halfway mark, then she decided she'd had enough and wanted to play on the swings and slides instead.  We had a picnic breakfast and sat and cheered some of the other runners (including her friend, being carried by her mum) through the flags, so it was quite a pleasant morning.  I'm claiming the run/walk as a strength session, as I carried an extra 15kg for most of it!

Memories
2014-04-12 8:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Pixiedustlady

Thank you Anna for the awesome message!! Thanks to everyone who has sent me a message or a post about my race tomorrow. It has been a horrible week for me and today I should of been resting and packing my gear but instead I had to drive up to Charlotte and sign the paperwork for my next job that starts at 7 on Monday!!!!! uhhhhhggg earlier this year then last!! I am going to give it my all tomorrow and want to thank those who helped me get here... Cassowary, Graham, Todd, Ron, Anna..... you pushed me and kept me in the RIGHT frame of mind... I NEEDED that because I had no one to train with hubby has surgery and then it did freak snow storms so no outside bike riding,,,, had to work with what I could do.... I will feel all of you each and every mile as I go through the race and I will be so happy when it is over and I am across the finish line.....I have doubts I wont make the time I know that sounds lame but that's how I feel right now.... I am bib 331 if anyone wants to track me on www.setupsports.com White Lake Duathlon I got my bag all packed and my bike full of nutrition tires checked and chain greased...hubby went over each bolt to make sure it was ready to go!! ahhhh I need to go to bed now!!

Good night Turtles!!!! woohooo!!!

Dang it, I wanted to track you today but that location shows no server. I went to the site and located the event but couldn't find a tracker on it. I'll just have to wait and hear from you but I'm sure you did great
2014-04-13 8:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
WooHoo, Darcie finished per the results page. Ill let her fill in the details but wanted everyone to know she did it. Way to GO Darcie.
2014-04-14 2:51 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Well done Darcie! I hope you had fun 

2014-04-14 7:12 AM

User image

Rensselaer, New York

WAY TO GO TODD!!!!!

Not sure if you remember me from last season and I hope it's OK that I post here.

Everyone in the group this season seems really motivated and it is inspirational. Awesome to read over the members races and workouts and see that everyone is progressing along. 

I've been back at it for about 6 weeks now, with 3 sprint distance events on the horizon for this season. 

Getting married in June and then heading to Cancun for the honeymoon, maybe I'll get some open water swims in while I'm there.

Again, congrats on your sub 6hr 70.3!

-- Mike

2014-04-14 8:13 AM
in reply to: MJSolt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by MJSolt

WAY TO GO TODD!!!!!

Not sure if you remember me from last season and I hope it's OK that I post here.

Everyone in the group this season seems really motivated and it is inspirational. Awesome to read over the members races and workouts and see that everyone is progressing along. 

I've been back at it for about 6 weeks now, with 3 sprint distance events on the horizon for this season. 

Getting married in June and then heading to Cancun for the honeymoon, maybe I'll get some open water swims in while I'm there.

Again, congrats on your sub 6hr 70.3!

-- Mike

Of course I remember you Mike and let me say that I'm glad to hear that you are still going at it. Congrats on the pending nuptials' and the trip to Cancun. Know that you are more than welcome in the group and to post here freely.
2014-04-15 10:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: Swim Zero to One Mile
Went for a run this morning but it was pouring rain. I was going to brave it but no one else was on board.
I had my swim gear in the car so decided to go for a swim.

1x50 swim
1x50 kick
1x50 pull
1x1200
Total: 1350 yards

I am again between weeks in this program. I was planning to do week 6 (day 1), so after the short warm up, I started in. When I got to 1000 yards, I felt tired but ok. After I got to 1200 yards, I was really tired and I could feel my form faltering so I called it quits. I think I am going to drop back to week 5 for the next week or 2 and see if I can get comfortable again. This is what happens when you miss workouts!

WEEK five:
1000 yards...rest for 8 breaths
4 x 100 yards...rest for 4 breaths between 100s
4 x 50 yards...rest for 4 breaths between 50s
total: 1600 yards

WEEK six (days 1 and 2):
1200 yards...rest for 6 breaths
3 x 100 yards...rest for 4 breaths between 100s
3 x 50 yards...rest for 4 breaths between 50s
(day 3)
1650 yards straight (equals 1500 meters)
total: 1650 yards!

Edited by Lovey 2014-04-15 10:52 AM
2014-04-15 11:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Swim Zero to One Mile
Great job Lovey on the swim workouts, keep it up! And awesome job everyone else on their races.

My training has slipped over the last couple of weeks due to other priorities, but I was running twice a week. Unfortunately, today I strained my calf muscle. My calves started bothering me last week, so today I meant to go out easy and keep it short, but it happened so quickly. Very sad - but hopefully I will be able to shift back into a swim and bike routine until I can run again.

Edited by cassowary 2014-04-15 11:52 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 33

RELATED POSTS

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 23853 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15720 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 28926 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18124 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.
date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.