BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2014-04-24 8:32 AM
in reply to: tweets_4611

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Still here!
Originally posted by tweets_4611

I just wanted to pop in and say hi! I've been horribly absent for quite a while now. I've been reading the thread, and had an occasional run now and then, but I've completely fallen off any sort of real training.

I've had a pretty stressful personal situation come up, and when I get stressed I don't really function. Go to work, come home and sleep =/ Not the best way to deal with stress. It looks like I will be making a pretty big change soon, assuming I find the courage and nothing pops up in the next couple of weeks. Ideally I'll make this move and be able to get back into life. I hate seeing so many days pass by where I feel like I'm not really part of the world.

My first tri was supposed to be this weekend =( I'm so disappointed in myself that I let my training fall apart to where I'm not going to be able to do it. I've never swam anywhere close to the distance, and although it's only a sprint, the swim is open water and I really don't feel I can finish even that leg. When I signed up for this one I also signed up for one in August. My goal, starting in May, is to start training for the August Tri. I will complete a tri this year.

I've ridden my grandpa's bike just one short time. I've never ridden a bike with the clips or cages on the pedals and it scared me a bit! I kept thinking that if I fell I'd just hit the ground b/c my feet are stuck in the pedals. I'm really looking forward to riding it more.

It's so awesome to see everyone's progress!! I'm proud of you guys, and it motivates me to get back into things as soon as I can. Good luck to everyone who has an upcoming even, and keep up all the great training! ^_^

Shannon

Shannon it is so funny that you posted because I knew Kemah was this weekend and thought about you. I have checked in on your log throughout the months and went again yesterday to see if you were still going to do it, but saw that you had not logged in for over a month. We all fall down, what is important is that we get back up and go at it again. Great to have you back, just stay around this time

2014-04-24 1:35 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Houston, Texas
The tri being this weekend is why I think I posted again. I've felt horrible that I'm not going to do it, and I keep thinking "maybe I will..." but I've never even tried on a wet suit, never swam the distance, and I don't want to get discouraged by getting into something so far over my head at this level. I know it's better to pass it up, and try again at another, but I feel almost ashamed that I've come up so far short of my goals.

I'm just going to reorganize my goals, and get back at it. The Bridgeland tri in August is warm enough to not need a wetsuit, and it's at a man made lake. I've never really done an open water swim of any sort besides splashing around at the beach, so I'm glad I won't have to worry about that for now.

I'm posting again, which typically means I'm on my way back up. I become very anti-social and very, very quiet when I get stressed. I rode my grandpa's bike last night It's really nice, but I need to get it adjusted. It's just a bit too tall. I'm excited to have it and start riding again.
2014-04-24 1:39 PM
in reply to: cassowary

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Overuse Injuries
Originally posted by cassowary

Thanks Todd and Anna.

While I have some downtime healing, I have some gear questions...

SPD or SPD SL Pedals?
I currently have SPD pedals, but my SPD clips are attached a road bike shoe. I don't think this is ideal. I figure I should do one of the following:

1) Stay with the SPD pedals, but get a Mt bike shoes for a recessed cleat so that I can jog at T1
2) Get new SPD SL pedals and new road bike shoes.

Any thoughts?

I have always only used SPD SL pedals and never had an issue or thought about buying or using anything else. If you are worried running with the cleat on the shoes it is not a big deal, I do it all the time. I do not leave my shoes clipped in because I like to wear socks and don't want grass, dirt, rocks, and everything else on the bottom of them when I put on either pair of shoes during the race. My road bike and TT bike both have them and I just use the same pair of shoes for both. Don't get me wrong I could see the SPD's at the best thing if you are mountain biking or something like that.
2014-04-24 6:44 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Overuse Injuries
Welcome back Shannon, glad to hear your picking up the training again.

Thanks Todd, I think I'll switch to the SPD SL.
2014-04-24 6:48 PM

User image

Subject: Half Iron Man Social?
Hey Todd (or others),

I've ridden in a couple century rides before, and there would be rest stops where many people would dismount, hydrate, eat, and catch up with friends for about 15-30 minutes before pushing on. Does the Half Iron Man event share this kind of social camaraderie, or are most people focused on moving forward and keeping pace?
2014-04-25 1:13 AM
in reply to: #4915342

Grand Junction, Colorado
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed
I've been lurking and reading others posts but not posting myself. My sprint is 3 weeks out and I need to be consistent with my swimming mostly to be confident. Just got a wetsuit today and will do a couple of chilly open water practice swims soon. Wetsuit -- all I can think is how glad I am that putting it on isn't part of the overall time! Wow! Thankfully getting out if it is much easier and I imagine I'll be floating nice and high too! Any tips for making sure I don't nick it with finger nails pulling it on?

2014-04-25 4:35 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by tweets_4611 The tri being this weekend is why I think I posted again. I've felt horrible that I'm not going to do it, and I keep thinking "maybe I will..." but I've never even tried on a wet suit, never swam the distance, and I don't want to get discouraged by getting into something so far over my head at this level. I know it's better to pass it up, and try again at another, but I feel almost ashamed that I've come up so far short of my goals. I'm just going to reorganize my goals, and get back at it. The Bridgeland tri in August is warm enough to not need a wetsuit, and it's at a man made lake. I've never really done an open water swim of any sort besides splashing around at the beach, so I'm glad I won't have to worry about that for now. I'm posting again, which typically means I'm on my way back up. I become very anti-social and very, very quiet when I get stressed. I rode my grandpa's bike last night It's really nice, but I need to get it adjusted. It's just a bit too tall. I'm excited to have it and start riding again.

Don't feel ashamed, life gets in the way for everyone! Just do what you're doing: reassess, reorganise, and decide on what to do from here. Sounds like the Bridgeland event is a good one to aim for .

2014-04-25 5:13 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Cassowary and mbrassette, I'm not much use for your questions! I've never used a wetsuit, never done a half ironman, and I admit I have no idea what SPD pedals are.

I have had a bit of fun out and about training this morning, though. I managed to come off my mountain bike trying to jump too high over the jumps on a dirt track in the local forest....skin off, bruises, just like being a kid again! Thankfully no broken bones, I guess I'll have to slow down just a little until I get some better balance skills. I think I might have to try some cross country triathlons next season, whizzing around in the bush is so much fun

2014-04-25 8:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by tweets_4611

The tri being this weekend is why I think I posted again. I've felt horrible that I'm not going to do it, and I keep thinking "maybe I will..." but I've never even tried on a wet suit, never swam the distance, and I don't want to get discouraged by getting into something so far over my head at this level. I know it's better to pass it up, and try again at another, but I feel almost ashamed that I've come up so far short of my goals.

I'm just going to reorganize my goals, and get back at it. The Bridgeland tri in August is warm enough to not need a wetsuit, and it's at a man made lake. I've never really done an open water swim of any sort besides splashing around at the beach, so I'm glad I won't have to worry about that for now.

I'm posting again, which typically means I'm on my way back up. I become very anti-social and very, very quiet when I get stressed. I rode my grandpa's bike last night It's really nice, but I need to get it adjusted. It's just a bit too tall. I'm excited to have it and start riding again.

Shannon, don't be ashamed because you did not do anything wrong. You just missed a goal, which is why they are called goals. Also, you are 100% right about the swim and I have stated it before, that is the one thing that you have to know you can complete the distance in. The other two disciplines you can slow down, walk, or stop but with the swim you'd sink.

I would like to add though that training and communication in a small group forum such as this one can be a great stress reliever (or at least it is for me). I have noticed that when I get overly stressed if I don't pop on here or go get in a workout I just plop down on the sofa and watch TV until bed which usually ends up bothering me and furthering my stress / frustration. Stay at it and as I've said before, just develop a routine, YOU WILL GET THIS!
2014-04-25 8:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Half Iron Man Social?

Hey Todd (or others),

I've ridden in a couple century rides before, and there would be rest stops where many people would dismount, hydrate, eat, and catch up with friends for about 15-30 minutes before pushing on. Does the Half Iron Man event share this kind of social camaraderie, or are most people focused on moving forward and keeping pace?

Not even close. Don't get my wrong you will get the passing great job, looking good, keep at it, but you dang sure won't see a group of people just visiting. You will see visiting and all the things you are talking about after the race but never during for several reasons. #1 reason is the cost and amount of time that people put into completing a Half, #2 you can not ride side by side (penalty) so that stops the chatting on the bike, #3 staggered starts tend to prevent a large group from attempting to do the race together, #4 time limits (those who can easily finish want the best time they can, and those that are not at the same level really don't have a ton of extra time to kill.

To be totally honest, I don't think that I've ever even done a sprint distance race that was anywhere is the same ballpark as a group ride.

I'm with you though as far as group rides go, I think they are freaking awesome. I get in a long ride, with support, camaraderie, and traffic control. Truth be told I still ride pretty dang hard but I do stop at several of the stops and just enjoy the day.
2014-04-25 8:30 AM
in reply to: mbrassette

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by mbrassette

I've been lurking and reading others posts but not posting myself. My sprint is 3 weeks out and I need to be consistent with my swimming mostly to be confident. Just got a wetsuit today and will do a couple of chilly open water practice swims soon. Wetsuit -- all I can think is how glad I am that putting it on isn't part of the overall time! Wow! Thankfully getting out if it is much easier and I imagine I'll be floating nice and high too! Any tips for making sure I don't nick it with finger nails pulling it on?

Cut your fingernails! That is probably about the best advice I can give on the topic. Also for what it's worth try to grab larger portions of the suit and pull that up. This will minimize your chances of getting a nail in there and tearing it, but they are tougher then you think. I can tell you my routine is to body glide up (knees, neck, under arm, shoulder area - sleeveless), sit down and get both feet in, pull larger sections up on both sides working it up above my hips, then work out any slack in the leg area and pull up over my chest and shoulders.

Three others things that I think really help are: 1. get the inside of the suit wet before putting it on. 2. Once it's on and you get in the water pull the suit away from your body to allow water inside (relieves a lot of pressure you feel from the suit) #2 can also be used while swimming if you are feeling hot to allow fresh cooler water in. #3 make sure you practice in it for a while even if at a pool. Swimming in a wetsuit is a totally different feeling and puts your body in a much higher and different position for most people, which can feel really weird the first couple of swims

Hope this helped.

2014-04-26 2:12 AM

User image

Hi Turtles

Work commitments and family time over Easter have prevented me from any training recently.

The weather here is starting to cool down and it's pretty easy to find reasons / excuses not to train. I keep reading about Turtles progress to keep me motivated. Good to see a few people who haven't posted for a while joining in again and also some new faces join in.

Darcie, great race report. Sounds like it was a real challenge.

Cass, Sorry to learn the extent of your injuries. Can you do upper body work in the gym or swim with your arms only?

I came across this shot of a guy who has great transition technique. Hope you like it.

Rod

(T2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
T2.jpg (18KB - 10 downloads)
2014-04-27 1:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: Triathlon completed
So today I did a sprint triathlon with a pool swim. I signed up last week Wednesday. I wanted to really test my confidence especially on the bike.
Based on last year's time, I knew I would be finishing last or close to it. It didn't matter, it was about finishing and I did.

I was nervous of the last few days, got little sleep but it went away pretty quickly after the race started.

Race Report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...
2014-04-27 7:43 PM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Subject: RE: Triathlon completed
Lovey that's so exciting! I think I will be the same way leading up to my first event - little sleep - but I'm glad to hear that all vanished as soon as you started. Great work!

Rod, nice transition photo I did a lot of bicycling last week while my calf and shoulder blades heal. I think I'll be able to start swimming again this week and I look forward to diversifying my workouts again. Not sure what's going on with my calf, I can tell the injury is there when I flex the muscle, but day to day walking or cycling is no bother at all.

Enjoy your training everyone and keep it up.
2014-04-28 7:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Lovey

So today I did a sprint triathlon with a pool swim. I signed up last week Wednesday. I wanted to really test my confidence especially on the bike.
Based on last year's time, I knew I would be finishing last or close to it. It didn't matter, it was about finishing and I did.

I was nervous of the last few days, got little sleep but it went away pretty quickly after the race started.

Race Report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

Great Job Tracy, I knew that you could knock it out. Isn't it amazing how all that stress, fear, excitment, and anticipation just disappear the minute your body hits the water and you take off. Great job again Tracy, you worked hard for it and certainly deserve to feel good about your results and self.
2014-04-28 10:08 AM
in reply to: #4986742

User image

Cassowary-
So sorry to read you are injured! I know it's hard to do but the best thing EVER is taking time OFF and resting your body!! I know it feels horrible to sit around not swim/bike or run but trust me your body will come back stronger then ever! Please let yourself heal up so you can get back out there! Here is wishing you the very best in a speedy recovery!!!

Darcie

2014-04-28 10:16 AM
in reply to: #4988112

User image

Shannon-
Great to see you back!! I hope everything that is going on in your situation works out and you can get back to some training!! I totally agree with the part you wrote about being "stuck" on the bike with the clip ins or cages. I do not know anyone that has NOT fallen down while getting used to the new pedals. Both me and my husband have fallen over thinking we had unclipped all the way when we had not! Anyway best of luck to you and hope to see you around more often!
2014-04-28 10:24 AM
in reply to: #4988125

User image

Hey Cass-
Every Tri and my latest Du people will cheer each other on but like Todd said, you won't see anyone dismounting bikes and hanging out eating and drinking till you cross the finish line and go to the post race festivities. That's my favorite part of the race is the after party! :-). You get to swap battle stories about the bugs/heat/aches/pains you get the picture! :-)
2014-04-30 5:44 AM

User image

Hi Lovey,

Great effort and good on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rod
2014-04-30 1:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Thanks Darcie.

Yesterday I swam a little and felt OK. Today I worked out on the elliptical, and the calf did alright. It's nice to feel like my body is starting to recover.

I've got my first tri in less than a month, so my goal is to heal, complete the tri, and finish injury free.

Edited by cassowary 2014-04-30 1:04 PM
2014-05-01 2:50 PM

User image

Subject: Gearing Up!
Today I'm going to place an order for my tri shorts, top, and full wetsuit. I will soon look like an official tri-athlete. I can't wait to show up at the gym in full tri gear, I will look so cool.

Here's my cart:

Tri Shorts - Perl Izumi - $55
Tri Top - Sugoi - $25
Wetsuit - ProMotion - $200

I went for the best of the cheapest. I'm going through Amazon and the ProMotion website. I haven't placed the order yet, so if you know of any other great online sources for tri clothing at good prices, please let me know.

2014-05-01 10:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Gearing Up!

Today I'm going to place an order for my tri shorts, top, and full wetsuit. I will soon look like an official tri-athlete. I can't wait to show up at the gym in full tri gear, I will look so cool.

Here's my cart:

Tri Shorts - Perl Izumi - $55
Tri Top - Sugoi - $25
Wetsuit - ProMotion - $200

I went for the best of the cheapest. I'm going through Amazon and the ProMotion website. I haven't placed the order yet, so if you know of any other great online sources for tri clothing at good prices, please let me know.

Can't speak to promotion but Xterra's are probably same MM and at a lower price with the BT code. I can also tell you that a call to them will go along way to being more certain the right size is ordered. I know nothing good or bad about promotion, but can tell you i like my Xterra and got it for i think 120. I use several pearl items not Tri shorts but I've liked everything I've used. Sugoi, no use or knowledge. It's all a learning curve and you won't really know for sure until you try it and then that might change a year down the road like it did for me.
2014-05-01 10:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
O ya, forgot the most important thing, "You like it I love it" cuz your the one that's gonna wear it

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2014-05-01 10:44 PM
2014-05-02 7:21 AM

User image

I had completely overlooked the discount page on BT - Thanks! I think I may get the full Xterra wesuit for $170 then. I wish I could get the sleeveless to save a little more money, but the New England waters are pretty cold this time of year. Alright, maybe an updated cart to come.
2014-05-02 8:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
They are a pretty good price and like I said I have had no problems with mine. Like I said don't be afraid to give them a call and provide your measurements and stuff to get their sizing input. Although if it does not fit I understand they take it right back and get you the size you need.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 33

RELATED POSTS

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 23859 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15724 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 28931 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18127 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.
date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.