BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-04-04 7:32 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed
Originally posted by Burd

Uh-Oh....PT said to try and run Sat. She has me doing a 2/2 run/walk for only 1 mile. Then a 5/5 on my next run for another mile.

Fingers crossed....
Hope that goes well with no pain.

I had a slight setback on the treadmill the other day. I set the treadmill up for 24 minutes, and was hoping to get 3 miles out of it. That was the goal. It was way to fast at an 8 min pace, so I backed off to like a 9:30, and ran the first mile in 9:40. mile 2 was in at 18:00. so I got like 6 minutes to get mile 3 in, and I'm feeling pretty good, so what do I do? I push the pace. Now I'm at 21 minutes, and I got like around .4 to go. I ramp it up. I might make 3 miles!. Instant calf pain in right calf. Same pain, same spot. I'm an idiot.

So, I think I may try this run walk thing you're doing, and slow down, and hope for the best. I need to get away from running, and just jog/walk until this thing can heal. I'm not going to be deterred.

2014-04-05 9:15 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
1 mile 2/2 in the books pain free. Tomorrow is 5/5 for 1 mile. I see her again on Tues for her to tell me the next step up. Excited to be semi back in the game. Maybe I can schedule a race if all goes well.
2014-04-05 10:46 AM

User image

Went for a 10km run on Wednesday. It was a zone 3 run (well under by FT) and I ran at 5:07min/km pace. My fastest 1km split this year has been 4:04. I feel like my speed is finally coming back. I'm running a half-marathon at the end of April and I'm hoping for a sub 1:40 time. I've also brought my average swim pace down from 2:05/100m to 1:56/100m (mostly just through form and technique improvements). This is the first year I've really trained with HR, RPE and FT (and kept a reliable log of them all) so it's really cool to be able to see empirical improvements on paper in my performance in addition to having that 'feeling' of improvement. Another month and I'll start assessing realistically what my time goals for Ironman Tremblant will be. 

Training has been good so far. I've remained consistent. I haven't missed many of my scheduled sessions. Unfortunately, I'm coming in to paper and exam time so its going to be hard fir the next month. I am happy to say, however, that Ironman training has benefitted my schooling. The discipline I've developed through training over the last 3 months has carried over into my school work. I find I don't procrastinate as much anymore. My first test in Greek back in January was 78, I just got my most recent test back and I got an 88. χαιρετε, ω ανδρες! Everything is comin' up Milhouse. 

2014-04-05 1:42 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by adempsey10

Went for a 10km run on Wednesday. It was a zone 3 run (well under by FT) and I ran at 5:07min/km pace. My fastest 1km split this year has been 4:04. I feel like my speed is finally coming back. I'm running a half-marathon at the end of April and I'm hoping for a sub 1:40 time. I've also brought my average swim pace down from 2:05/100m to 1:56/100m (mostly just through form and technique improvements). This is the first year I've really trained with HR, RPE and FT (and kept a reliable log of them all) so it's really cool to be able to see empirical improvements on paper in my performance in addition to having that 'feeling' of improvement. Another month and I'll start assessing realistically what my time goals for Ironman Tremblant will be. 

Training has been good so far. I've remained consistent. I haven't missed many of my scheduled sessions. Unfortunately, I'm coming in to paper and exam time so its going to be hard fir the next month. I am happy to say, however, that Ironman training has benefitted my schooling. The discipline I've developed through training over the last 3 months has carried over into my school work. I find I don't procrastinate as much anymore. My first test in Greek back in January was 78, I just got my most recent test back and I got an 88. ?a??ete, ? a?d?e?! Everything is comin' up Milhouse. 

strong work. Those are impressive times and goals.
2014-04-05 1:46 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

1 mile 2/2 in the books pain free. Tomorrow is 5/5 for 1 mile. I see her again on Tues for her to tell me the next step up. Excited to be semi back in the game. Maybe I can schedule a race if all goes well.
That's good news. Hoping the 5/5 goes well.

I just did a 2 mi. treadmill today. firs mile I jogged at a 10:22/mi pace. I then walked a quarter mile, and finished mile 2 at a total elapsed time of 22:25. I picked up the pace to an 8:00/mi pace and went up from there the last 3/4mi. Pain free. I'm going on a 3 mi outside run tomorrow. hoping to keep it between 8:30-9:00/ mi with no pain.
2014-04-05 5:52 PM

User image

Expert

Thrilled for you Nancy Boy! It's nice running pain free isn't it!

2014-04-05 5:56 PM

User image

Expert

Training has been good so far. I've remained consistent. I haven't missed many of my scheduled sessions. Unfortunately, I'm coming in to paper and exam time so its going to be hard fir the next month. I am happy to say, however, that Ironman training has benefitted my schooling. The discipline I've developed through training over the last 3 months has carried over into my school work. I find I don't procrastinate as much anymore. My first test in Greek back in January was 78, I just got my most recent test back and I got an 88. ?a??ete, ? a?d?e?! Everything is comin' up Milhouse. 

The fact that you are getting so fast means you'll be able to finish IMMT, take, some pictures, go back to your hotel, take a shower and then a nap, then wake up, buy a cold IPA and come back to the finish line in time to hand it to me as I cross the line.

Keep it up. Just so you know - I took Greek in college... made it two weeks before dropping the course... brutal
2014-04-06 3:52 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Weekly Goals - April 7, 2014

DQ - Lose 2 lbs, record calories, rest and recover, 180 minutes of PT
2014-04-06 4:03 PM

User image

Expert
I think - everyone knock on wood - that my hip is on the road to recovery. I have enjoyed 2 days pain free. I even went for a 5 minute run yesterday and still no soreness today. I did 30 on the bike and I could feel some tenderness as I went along but nothing too bad. The true test will be how it feels tomorrow, but I am hopeful.

The big news this week is that I'm back in one - derland. I've lost 15 in the last 5 weeks and weighed in this week at 199.6. I need to make it my mission to lose 2 pounds each week from now until IMMT so I can do the race at 165. I would be more than happy to not have to cart the equivalent of 2 cases of beer 140.6 miles. What I would rather do is to have those two cases of beer - ice cold - waiting for me at the finish line.

I'm coming up on a rest week and hoping that I can continue to be pain free. I also have another session with the bike fitter (I'm still grasping at straws) and another appointment with the PT.

133 days until IMMT - not that I'm counting.
2014-04-06 4:07 PM

User image

Originally posted by Qua17 The fact that you are getting so fast means you'll be able to finish IMMT, take, some pictures, go back to your hotel, take a shower and then a nap, then wake up, buy a cold IPA and come back to the finish line in time to hand it to me as I cross the line. Keep it up. Just so you know - I took Greek in college... made it two weeks before dropping the course... brutal

This sounds like it's going to benefit you more than me. haha!

2014-04-06 4:13 PM

User image

Originally posted by Qua17 I think - everyone knock on wood - that my hip is on the road to recovery. I have enjoyed 2 days pain free. I even went for a 5 minute run yesterday and still no soreness today. I did 30 on the bike and I could feel some tenderness as I went along but nothing too bad. The true test will be how it feels tomorrow, but I am hopeful. The big news this week is that I'm back in one - derland. I've lost 15 in the last 5 weeks and weighed in this week at 199.6. I need to make it my mission to lose 2 pounds each week from now until IMMT so I can do the race at 165. I would be more than happy to not have to cart the equivalent of 2 cases of beer 140.6 miles. What I would rather do is to have those two cases of beer - ice cold - waiting for me at the finish line. I'm coming up on a rest week and hoping that I can continue to be pain free. I also have another session with the bike fitter (I'm still grasping at straws) and another appointment with the PT. 133 days until IMMT - not that I'm counting.

I think 2lbs/week is definitely doable. I wouldn't do anymore than that. You want to make sure your body is getting enough calories back in so it can recover efficiently. 

2014-04-06 7:39 PM

User image

Originally posted by Qua17 Weekly Goals - April 7, 2014 DQ - Lose 2 lbs, record calories, rest and recover, 180 minutes of PT

Alan - Continue with IM training plan. Incorporate two days of yoga into the weekly plan. Work on run speed with drills. 

2014-04-07 8:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Continue with my lunch runs and calorie counting.

Originally posted by Qua17 Weekly Goals - April 7, 2014 DQ - Lose 2 lbs, record calories, rest and recover, 180 minutes of PT

2014-04-07 1:28 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Alan - Continue with IM training plan. Incorporate two days of yoga into the weekly plan. Work on run speed with drills. 

thor-Continue with my lunch runs and calorie counting.
kevin- run 3 times. lose 2 pounds. continue to drink good beer. strength train 4x.
2014-04-07 1:33 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
My goal was to hit a 3 mile run at 9:00/mi. pace. I quickly decided I'd do 4 at the 9:00/mi pace. I'm happy to report that I got in 4.16 miles at a 8:41/mi pace with no calf pain. That's my first 4 mile run in a long time.

I did buy the enjoy by: 4/20 from Stone. I'm going to take it fishing with me on Thursday. I'm on Spring break and am going out to my favorite fisheries for some resident rainbow and kokanee fishing on Thursday.

I also enjoyed an IPA from Unita brewing out of UT. Fantastic. It was called the Detour. It's a Double IPA. I have a Pallate wrecker scheduled for tonight. It's at some 150 IBU's. I'm curious to see if this is too much. I'm of the opinion there can never be enough IBU's.
2014-04-07 1:44 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

The "Palette Wrecker" is aptly named, don't try to taste anything after it

For my weekend report:

Training: Long 11 mile training run along the hilly section of my next half-marathon, felt good and was able to pick up my pace after I was done with the rolling hills. It's good to know that when I hit those hills during the race my thoughts won't be "I think I can", instead "I know I can".

Beer appreciation: "500 BC" DIPA from Humbolt Brewing, standard DIPA but I could have used a bit more character in the hops. On the other side of the spectrum: Wild Turkey Burbon Barrel Stout from Anderson Valley... wow this was very burbony! Stout lovers should give this one a try.

Goals for the week: Stick with my regular training schedule since this coming weekend will be a bust for training.

2014-04-07 3:54 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Third day in a row with very little hip pain. Amen! Shoulder pain is still there. Boo!

I went to see my PT and his awesome assistant did myofascial release on my legs. It didn't hurt for the entire 75 minutes but there were some painful spots. However - when he started working on my shoulder I almost flew off the table. He's not sure what is causing it but something is definitely wrong with my rotator cuff.

After the massage - I went to the LBS for another bike fitting and they moved my seat further forward to open up my hips a little more so we will see if that helps.

I know there are a bunch of hockey fans out there - but who the championship tonight?
2014-04-07 4:17 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by thor67

Hey, how about posting your top three value priced wines from Spain?? I would be interested in seeing if I could find them in Canada and trying them out. Shhh, don't tell anyone I also drink wine(even some fruit beer David).... 

Now we are talking.... To choose 3 wines in a wine-producing country is like asking you guys the best 3 beers, but I will give you some hints. Thinking about being easy to find in Canada, should be big wineries. Main wine regions for reds in Spain as Rioja -best known- and Ribera -my favorite-, both use tempranillo grape. So I would suggest: 1) Marques de Riscal (Rioja), 2) Protos (Ribera) excellent quality for the price, and 3) to consider a good white, anyone from a place called Rueda and the grape Verdejo, fantastic and cheap! If you ever come nearby, let me know. Enjoy!!

2014-04-07 4:19 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by Qua17

Third day in a row with very little hip pain. Amen! Shoulder pain is still there. Boo!

I went to see my PT and his awesome assistant did myofascial release on my legs. It didn't hurt for the entire 75 minutes but there were some painful spots. However - when he started working on my shoulder I almost flew off the table. He's not sure what is causing it but something is definitely wrong with my rotator cuff.

After the massage - I went to the LBS for another bike fitting and they moved my seat further forward to open up my hips a little more so we will see if that helps.

I know there are a bunch of hockey fans out there - but who the championship tonight?

Getting closer to the end of your painful weeks, Mt Tremblant is waiting for you!
2014-04-07 4:26 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

New user
Madrid
Yesterday run my first HM of 2014, 1.49 so quite happy with the results. Race was all along the coast, no sun but no rain, so great weather. First half around 4.50 to 5.10', second half a bit tougher, few hills and tired legs.... Had breakfast 2 hours before the start (two toasts with butter and honey), sipped water during the race and had a gel at 12km, first time I feel comfortable with eating and running!
2014-04-07 5:10 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by Juancho

Yesterday run my first HM of 2014, 1.49 so quite happy with the results. Race was all along the coast, no sun but no rain, so great weather. First half around 4.50 to 5.10', second half a bit tougher, few hills and tired legs.... Had breakfast 2 hours before the start (two toasts with butter and honey), sipped water during the race and had a gel at 12km, first time I feel comfortable with eating and running!

Great run!

2014-04-08 10:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Great race! Sounds like a beautiful course!

Originally posted by Juancho Yesterday run my first HM of 2014, 1.49 so quite happy with the results. Race was all along the coast, no sun but no rain, so great weather. First half around 4.50 to 5.10', second half a bit tougher, few hills and tired legs.... Had breakfast 2 hours before the start (two toasts with butter and honey), sipped water during the race and had a gel at 12km, first time I feel comfortable with eating and running!

2014-04-08 10:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Will be looking for these!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Originally posted by Juancho
Originally posted by thor67

Hey, how about posting your top three value priced wines from Spain?? I would be interested in seeing if I could find them in Canada and trying them out. Shhh, don't tell anyone I also drink wine(even some fruit beer David).... 

Now we are talking.... To choose 3 wines in a wine-producing country is like asking you guys the best 3 beers, but I will give you some hints. Thinking about being easy to find in Canada, should be big wineries. Main wine regions for reds in Spain as Rioja -best known- and Ribera -my favorite-, both use tempranillo grape. So I would suggest: 1) Marques de Riscal (Rioja), 2) Protos (Ribera) excellent quality for the price, and 3) to consider a good white, anyone from a place called Rueda and the grape Verdejo, fantastic and cheap! If you ever come nearby, let me know. Enjoy!!

2014-04-08 10:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Nice job on the run...how did the palette wrecker go??

Originally posted by kevinbe My goal was to hit a 3 mile run at 9:00/mi. pace. I quickly decided I'd do 4 at the 9:00/mi pace. I'm happy to report that I got in 4.16 miles at a 8:41/mi pace with no calf pain. That's my first 4 mile run in a long time. I did buy the enjoy by: 4/20 from Stone. I'm going to take it fishing with me on Thursday. I'm on Spring break and am going out to my favorite fisheries for some resident rainbow and kokanee fishing on Thursday. I also enjoyed an IPA from Unita brewing out of UT. Fantastic. It was called the Detour. It's a Double IPA. I have a Pallate wrecker scheduled for tonight. It's at some 150 IBU's. I'm curious to see if this is too much. I'm of the opinion there can never be enough IBU's.

2014-04-08 10:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well finally getting some consistent runs at lunch. Hoping for first bike ride at lunch today but weather dependent. Roads have a ton of gravel on them...

This weekend I take part in the Alzheimer's ProAM hockey tourney. We are raising funds for Alzheimer's. Friday night drinks and appies. We draft an ex NHL player for our team. Saturday/Sunday we play 3 games with plenty of beer and appies after...not good for weight loss but...

Follow this up with a 5 day trip to Texas to visit my wife's BF. I am considering renting a road bike for a couple of days. Looking forward to some warm weather runs. Planning out my IPA breweries and BBQ...No kids on the trip.

Cheers!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.