BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-04-08 11:10 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed
Jumping in to say hi and check up on injuries!

I am doing the NOLA 70.3 this weekend. I am sort of going into it with the opposite of an overtraining injury. Ha, ha.

Actually, I think I feel pretty good. I really had to back away from the excitement of Tri's for a while just to cool my jets. Doing my 70.3 last year was a blast. Terrified me but still fun. I am taking the family to this one and I am not really terrified so I hope it will be more enjoyable.

No injuries on this end. I have intentionally limited my longest run to 5 miles (I don't really run.....more of a jog) to try and avoid ITB issues and the like. We shall see how that goes.

Enjoy training one and all!

2014-04-08 1:03 PM
in reply to: bobddsmd

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Did a very short brick workout this morning, rode my bike to work (4.5 miles) then went for a 1 mile run. Legs felt funny, as usual, however I managed a slightly fast (for me) 9:00 pace even though I felt like I was running a 9:30 or so. While running, I came to an interesting realization: to improve on how my legs feel when running after biking I need to improve my bike fitness.

With all the running that I've been doing, leading up to a couple early season half-marathons (second one in 2.5 weeks), I've been neglecting my bike workouts other than commuting a couple days a week and about 2 long rides a month. I'm comfortable biking however I have a lot of room for improvement. With stronger legs on the bike I feel that I will be better prepared for the run.

2014-04-08 1:25 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by thor67

Nice job on the run...how did the palette wrecker go??

Originally posted by kevinbe My goal was to hit a 3 mile run at 9:00/mi. pace. I quickly decided I'd do 4 at the 9:00/mi pace. I'm happy to report that I got in 4.16 miles at a 8:41/mi pace with no calf pain. That's my first 4 mile run in a long time. I did buy the enjoy by: 4/20 from Stone. I'm going to take it fishing with me on Thursday. I'm on Spring break and am going out to my favorite fisheries for some resident rainbow and kokanee fishing on Thursday. I also enjoyed an IPA from Unita brewing out of UT. Fantastic. It was called the Detour. It's a Double IPA. I have a Pallate wrecker scheduled for tonight. It's at some 150 IBU's. I'm curious to see if this is too much. I'm of the opinion there can never be enough IBU's.

It was superb. It may be my new goto IPA. It was hoppy, but not anything overly hoppy.
On a side note, beers I've been enjoying of late:
Palette wrecker-winner
Hales Supergoose-in my top 10
Union Jack Double Jack-top 10
St. Bernardus- a Belgium. At 11% or whatever, it's hard to complain
Old Rasputin- Easily my favorite stout. Guinness on steroids.
Dogfish head Pallo Santo Marron-Not for me, but very novel
Dogfish head Burton Baton-winner, right in there with there 90 minute.
Samuel Adams rebel IPA-a real stinker

Will be trying the enjoy by 4/20 from Stone this week. Should be a real winner.
2014-04-08 1:29 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Well finally getting some consistent runs at lunch. Hoping for first bike ride at lunch today but weather dependent. Roads have a ton of gravel on them...

This weekend I take part in the Alzheimer's ProAM hockey tourney. We are raising funds for Alzheimer's. Friday night drinks and appies. We draft an ex NHL player for our team. Saturday/Sunday we play 3 games with plenty of beer and appies after...not good for weight loss but...

Follow this up with a 5 day trip to Texas to visit my wife's BF. I am considering renting a road bike for a couple of days. Looking forward to some warm weather runs. Planning out my IPA breweries and BBQ...No kids on the trip.

Cheers!

Have fun drinking, uh hum, I mean playing hockey. ex NHLers, that takes your beer league hockey to a whole nother level. At 37, I'm the youngest on our team, with most of our players at 55+. Gotta love tournament hockey.
2014-04-08 2:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Bobby, good to hear from you! That looks like a great race!

Originally posted by bobddsmd Jumping in to say hi and check up on injuries! I am doing the NOLA 70.3 this weekend. I am sort of going into it with the opposite of an overtraining injury. Ha, ha. Actually, I think I feel pretty good. I really had to back away from the excitement of Tri's for a while just to cool my jets. Doing my 70.3 last year was a blast. Terrified me but still fun. I am taking the family to this one and I am not really terrified so I hope it will be more enjoyable. No injuries on this end. I have intentionally limited my longest run to 5 miles (I don't really run.....more of a jog) to try and avoid ITB issues and the like. We shall see how that goes. Enjoy training one and all!

2014-04-08 3:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Question for you ITB vets. Well today was my last PT appointment since running Sunday 1.6 miles was pain free. Well this afternoon on my run at about mile 2 it started tightening up on me. Not much pain just felt it getting tight along the side not where it rubs on the side of the knee. I did 2.24 total. Is this something that I will be able to build up more distance with time? Do I continue to run the 1.6 route to start building? When I got home and rolled it right after the run I could tell a huge difference and much relief.

Who knows maybe 2 was just too much coming back from 3+ months off running. Would love to hear any opinions on this.

2014-04-09 4:42 AM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Burd

Question for you ITB vets. Well today was my last PT appointment since running Sunday 1.6 miles was pain free. Well this afternoon on my run at about mile 2 it started tightening up on me. Not much pain just felt it getting tight along the side not where it rubs on the side of the knee. I did 2.24 total. Is this something that I will be able to build up more distance with time? Do I continue to run the 1.6 route to start building? When I got home and rolled it right after the run I could tell a huge difference and much relief.

Who knows maybe 2 was just too much coming back from 3+ months off running. Would love to hear any opinions on this.

Here's my two cents - The ITB is a good barometer for your training. If it doesn't hurt. All is well. But if it does, then something is wrong. I would really go easy on the training. I would go back to 1.6 and run at that distance for a week. If it hurts - reduce intensity and distance. If it doesn't hurt, increase distance or intensity by 5%. If it hurts, go back to 1.6. I know this is nut but going from 1.6 to 2.2 is a big jump of almost 30%. It violates the 10% rule for healthy runners and neither of us is healthy. Good luck - I feel your pain.
2014-04-09 4:46 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kevinbe

Originally posted by kevinbe My goal was to hit a 3 mile run at 9:00/mi. pace. I quickly decided I'd do 4 at the 9:00/mi pace. I'm happy to report that I got in 4.16 miles at a 8:41/mi pace with no calf pain. That's my first 4 mile run in a long time. I did buy the enjoy by: 4/20 from Stone. I'm going to take it fishing with me on Thursday. I'm on Spring break and am going out to my favorite fisheries for some resident rainbow and kokanee fishing on Thursday. I also enjoyed an IPA from Unita brewing out of UT. Fantastic. It was called the Detour. It's a Double IPA. I have a Pallate wrecker scheduled for tonight. It's at some 150 IBU's. I'm curious to see if this is too much. I'm of the opinion there can never be enough IBU's.

It was superb. It may be my new goto IPA. It was hoppy, but not anything overly hoppy.
Palette wrecker-winner

Kevin - you should know better than to think a beer from Boston would be any good. Sam Adams is the most overrated beer in America. I give them credit for helping to start the whole craft beer movement but the place is average at best. I went on a tour there yesterday - and it was ok but everyplace I went after was so much better. I thought the same thing about Palio Santo Marron.... interesting but I never one to try it again. Who does Palette Wrecker?
2014-04-09 4:51 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Originally posted by MOlsen

Did a very short brick workout this morning, rode my bike to work (4.5 miles) then went for a 1 mile run. Legs felt funny, as usual, however I managed a slightly fast (for me) 9:00 pace even though I felt like I was running a 9:30 or so. While running, I came to an interesting realization: to improve on how my legs feel when running after biking I need to improve my bike fitness.

With all the running that I've been doing, leading up to a couple early season half-marathons (second one in 2.5 weeks), I've been neglecting my bike workouts other than commuting a couple days a week and about 2 long rides a month. I'm comfortable biking however I have a lot of room for improvement. With stronger legs on the bike I feel that I will be better prepared for the run.

that's a good realization. While biking and running aren't completely complementary (more of one doesn't always help the others) the fatigue you are feeling off the bike is due to your pedaling efficiency. Getting stronger on the bike in this case will help your run because you won't have exerted so much energy. But give credit where credit is due - you ran a brick workout faster that your normal mile. That's awesome and bodes well for your races later in the season. Good luck with the next HM.
2014-04-09 4:52 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by bobddsmd

Jumping in to say hi and check up on injuries!

I am doing the NOLA 70.3 this weekend. I am sort of going into it with the opposite of an overtraining injury. Ha, ha.

Actually, I think I feel pretty good. I really had to back away from the excitement of Tri's for a while just to cool my jets. Doing my 70.3 last year was a blast. Terrified me but still fun. I am taking the family to this one and I am not really terrified so I hope it will be more enjoyable.

No injuries on this end. I have intentionally limited my longest run to 5 miles (I don't really run.....more of a jog) to try and avoid ITB issues and the like. We shall see how that goes.

Enjoy training one and all!

Dr. Bob - Thrilled to hear from you! Glad to hear you are well and psyching yourself up for your 70.3 this weekend. You kicked a$$ last time and with your family cheering you on - you will kick again! Good luck and enjoy every minute!
2014-04-09 4:56 AM

User image

Expert

Well finally getting some consistent runs at lunch. Hoping for first bike ride at lunch today but weather dependent. Roads have a ton of gravel on them...

This weekend I take part in the Alzheimer's ProAM hockey tourney. We are raising funds for Alzheimer's. Friday night drinks and appies. We draft an ex NHL player for our team. Saturday/Sunday we play 3 games with plenty of beer and appies after...not good for weight loss but...

Follow this up with a 5 day trip to Texas to visit my wife's BF. I am considering renting a road bike for a couple of days. Looking forward to some warm weather runs. Planning out my IPA breweries and BBQ...No kids on the trip.

Cheers!

Have a blast at the ProAm - sounds like fun! When you are down in Texas - but sure to search for beer from a brewery from Michigan called Founders. It's in a lot of peoples top 10 list and I know they distribute down there. Their favorite of mine is the Centennial Ale - easily in my top 5 IPAs, and All Day IPA which doesn't pack the calories but carries a lot of hop flavor and aroma. Hopefully when you get back - the roads will be clean.

2014-04-09 5:01 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Yesterday was great. With the hopes of trying to get this Brew Job, I went on a tour of the Breweries in Boston I had never been to. So after visiting Sam Adams - Bleh, I went to Cambridge Brewing Company (Awesome) and Mystic (closed but still awesome). My final stop was a place called Night Shift. They don't distribute outside of the Boston area but their stuff is killer.

After the beer came my son's science fair so I wasn't able to get my run in until 8pm. But the wait was worth it. The first 2.5 were totally pain free (miracles do happen Alex!). It felt like my hip was a spring and really strong. Unfortunately, the pain creeped in during the last two miles. But I didn't get hit by a car in the dark so it could have been a lot worse.

Prost!
2014-04-09 9:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by Burd

Here's my two cents - The ITB is a good barometer for your training. If it doesn't hurt. All is well. But if it does, then something is wrong. I would really go easy on the training. I would go back to 1.6 and run at that distance for a week. If it hurts - reduce intensity and distance. If it doesn't hurt, increase distance or intensity by 5%. If it hurts, go back to 1.6. I know this is nut but going from 1.6 to 2.2 is a big jump of almost 30%. It violates the 10% rule for healthy runners and neither of us is healthy. Good luck - I feel your pain.

Agree with all of that. You need to marry the foam roller. You would be amazed what other things you can do while using a foam roller.
My ITB issue was what got me to take a break and do something else for a while (Crossfit) and now I am going into the 70.3 with most of my runs being between 2-3 miles with my longest at 5 miles (hills and felt great). I will let you know how it works out for me. Yikes. The other thing was that my bike set up was too aero. They brought me up with a taller stem and that helped.

Hang in there. You have had an amazing journey my friend!
2014-04-09 10:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Kudos on getting a run in afteryou were drinking beers. Unless it is hockey, once I have a couple of beers, there is rarely exercise, unless of course there is a ber chasing me...

Originally posted by Qua17 Yesterday was great. With the hopes of trying to get this Brew Job, I went on a tour of the Breweries in Boston I had never been to. So after visiting Sam Adams - Bleh, I went to Cambridge Brewing Company (Awesome) and Mystic (closed but still awesome). My final stop was a place called Night Shift. They don't distribute outside of the Boston area but their stuff is killer. After the beer came my son's science fair so I wasn't able to get my run in until 8pm. But the wait was worth it. The first 2.5 were totally pain free (miracles do happen Alex!). It felt like my hip was a spring and really strong. Unfortunately, the pain creeped in during the last two miles. But I didn't get hit by a car in the dark so it could have been a lot worse. Prost!

2014-04-09 12:21 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by Qua17

Palette wrecker-winner

Kevin - you should know better than to think a beer from Boston would be any good. Sam Adams is the most overrated beer in America. I give them credit for helping to start the whole craft beer movement but the place is average at best. I went on a tour there yesterday - and it was ok but everyplace I went after was so much better. I thought the same thing about Palio Santo Marron.... interesting but I never one to try it again. Who does Palette Wrecker?
Green Flash brewing out of San Diego. Mark must know them well?
2014-04-09 1:05 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
3.07 miles today at 24:40 for an 8:02/mi pace. Pain free. The road to recovery is looking pretty good.

2014-04-09 1:33 PM

User image

New user
Howdy folks! Its been forever since I hit the board, I did some reading to see what is up with everybody. Sounds like everyone is marching towards the race season

Training is going well, I am getting my sessions in and progressing in my pacing. I waiting for my "Race Weight' cookbook, I have bought into the ideas he has on the impact on performance and I am going to try to lose a few pounds to be a little lighter on my feet. I have joined the ranks of those with an IT band that teaches me what happens to bad runners who don't roll and stretch, but it am managing ok as long as I stay on top of it.

I set myself up a challenge to swim/bike/run the milage from my city to Iqaluit, NU - its 2350km total. It has been fun to track on the map and gives me a real push because I have asked people to donate $$ to the Nunavut helpline as part of it with the final day being my race in August.
2014-04-09 4:13 PM

User image

Expert

Kudos on getting a run in afteryou were drinking beers. Unless it is hockey, once I have a couple of beers, there is rarely exercise, unless of course there is a ber chasing me...

Originally posted by Qua17 Yesterday was great. With the hopes of trying to get this Brew Job, I went on a tour of the Breweries in Boston I had never been to. So after visiting Sam Adams - Bleh, I went to Cambridge Brewing Company (Awesome) and Mystic (closed but still awesome). My final stop was a place called Night Shift. They don't distribute outside of the Boston area but their stuff is killer. After the beer came my son's science fair so I wasn't able to get my run in until 8pm. But the wait was worth it. The first 2.5 were totally pain free (miracles do happen Alex!). It felt like my hip was a spring and really strong. Unfortunately, the pain creeped in during the last two miles. But I didn't get hit by a car in the dark so it could have been a lot worse. Prost!

Only in Canada!
2014-04-09 4:15 PM

User image

Expert

3.07 miles today at 24:40 for an 8:02/mi pace. Pain free. The road to recovery is looking pretty good.

If memory serves - that's your fastest run in a while. Way to go my friend. You've earned it!
2014-04-09 4:18 PM
in reply to: ripariangal

User image

Expert
Originally posted by ripariangal

Howdy folks! Its been forever since I hit the board, I did some reading to see what is up with everybody. Sounds like everyone is marching towards the race season

Training is going well, I am getting my sessions in and progressing in my pacing. I waiting for my "Race Weight' cookbook, I have bought into the ideas he has on the impact on performance and I am going to try to lose a few pounds to be a little lighter on my feet. I have joined the ranks of those with an IT band that teaches me what happens to bad runners who don't roll and stretch, but it am managing ok as long as I stay on top of it.

I set myself up a challenge to swim/bike/run the milage from my city to Iqaluit, NU - its 2350km total. It has been fun to track on the map and gives me a real push because I have asked people to donate $$ to the Nunavut helpline as part of it with the final day being my race in August.

Sorry to hear about the IT issues. We should rename this group the Sore Hurt Illio Tibia Sufferers - see what I did there...

Kudos to you for setting a challenging goal and doing it for a great and worthy cause! Come back more often - we missed you!
2014-04-09 7:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Glad to hear folks are generally doing well.

I got back from an impromptu vacation - visiting some family in Southern Illinois, fixing mom's car, etc. Ate like a pig but nailed my workouts.

Took my bike, saw a charity ride sponsored by Rotary, figured "hey, why not?" Here's the Garmin log.

4,006 feet of climbing. Those Southern Illinois Rotarians are some sick folks. Sick, sick folks. Quassy's only 2,500, and IMWI is only 3,000.

To top that off, I forgot to charge my Di2 battery (I haven't charged it, ever). It was at <50% before I left, and between the travel time and cold, it sapped the last of the juice. I lost my FD around mile 30, and my RD was gone by mile 45, so I was stuck in 39x14 for the last half of the ride. Walked up two hills (no shame in it). Called SAG at mile 35, but nobody answered, so I toughed it out. At the second rest stop, the folks said it was mostly flat, so I finished it out. Saw every bit of 40mph in aero too. NP at 206 too, which is close to 90% of my FTP.

Hit one of the local pools too, for my first iron-distance swim: 4,300 yards, in 1:50. Did a variety of drills to keep from going crazy. Had half a box of donuts afterwards. I'm a little fearful of the IMWI swim; even factoring in a wetsuit and race-day gains and adrenaline, I'm still looking at at least 90 minutes in the water. That's going to be a long day.

Got a few good runs in, including one that soaked me to the bone despite a rain slicker.

It was a good trip overall. No beer, crappy pizza, saw some friends, hit my workouts, fixed my mom's car, all in 4 days' work. Another day in the life.

2014-04-10 11:06 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Yes, Green Flash makes some very good brews. Their "regular" IPA is one of my favorites, when my local watering hole gets it on-tap I drink a bit more than my share

Edit for afternoon update: Went for a good 6 mile today, while the weather was warm I didn't stall out like I did the other week. Tomorrow will probably be a short run or bike. The weekend, well that's a bust while I have fun with my other hobby: historical reenactment at a Renaissance Festival. Sometimes we all just need a break from training to have some fun!

Edited by MOlsen 2014-04-10 6:34 PM
2014-04-12 6:17 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Expert
Nice work on that ride. My brother is a rotarian - I'd blame him for all your pain! All of these swims and rides you are doing are going to set you up well for Quassi and IMWI! Not only will you be more fit than you've ever been in your life - but you will tough as nails by then. Great job!
2014-04-12 6:19 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Originally posted by MOlsen

Yes, Green Flash makes some very good brews. Their "regular" IPA is one of my favorites, when my local watering hole gets it on-tap I drink a bit more than my share

Edit for afternoon update: Went for a good 6 mile today, while the weather was warm I didn't stall out like I did the other week. Tomorrow will probably be a short run or bike. The weekend, well that's a bust while I have fun with my other hobby: historical reenactment at a Renaissance Festival. Sometimes we all just need a break from training to have some fun!

Enjoy your weekend. As a history teacher, I think that's one cool way to spend a weekend! Good job on the run - sounds like your building up your stamina. Keep it up!
2014-04-12 6:24 AM

User image

Expert
It's 43 degrees outside and I'm just procrastinating and hoping that a quick post will allow it to warm up outside.

I weighed in this morning and I have lost 2.2 pounds over the week. If I can get in a good week this week, I will hit 20 pounds next Saturday. That's once case of beer lost. Two more to go!

My hip has felt pretty good all week. It got a little sore after a long walk but didn't hurt all that much yesterday when I squeezed in a 3 miler on grass. For those of you who have been kind enough to pray for my hip - I need you to send some good vibes to my shoulder. Rotator cuff still hurts from jamming a shovel into a few inches of ice on my driveway. Haven't been to the pool in 3 weeks and am going to attempt it tomorrow. While Charles may be worried about 90 minutes in the water - I'm starting to worry about making the cut off.

Have a great weekend everyone and good luck to Dr. Bob and anyone else who is racing this weekend!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.