BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-04-12 2:17 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed
Hey I am still here, training and getting yoga strong. Race An OLY in Napa tomorrow. Watching the half and IM today and sat by the campfire with a Lagunitas last night or lasterday as my grandson says. Nervous about the race the swim is long and there are hills and worst of all I feel ill prepared for both!

2014-04-12 2:26 PM

User image

I ran a half-marathon this morning. It was an impromptu event. A friend of my mom's who was signed up to run backed out so I ran with her bib and chip. I hadn't tapered, I was coming off of a week of solid Ironman training. I managed to run it in 1:45:21. That's a PB for me. My next best time for a half marathon was 7 years ago in Toronto which I ran in 1:52. I have another C-priority half coming up in two weeks so I'm hoping for 1:40 or less. Cheers, mates!

2014-04-12 4:47 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by adempsey10

I ran a half-marathon this morning. It was an impromptu event. A friend of my mom's who was signed up to run backed out so I ran with her bib and chip. I hadn't tapered, I was coming off of a week of solid Ironman training. I managed to run it in 1:45:21. That's a PB for me. My next best time for a half marathon was 7 years ago in Toronto which I ran in 1:52. I have another C-priority half coming up in two weeks so I'm hoping for 1:40 or less. Cheers, mates!

These are great times. Anytime you can put down 8:/mi pace for that long, your doing something right. Strong work.
2014-04-12 4:48 PM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by SportzVision

Hey I am still here, training and getting yoga strong. Race An OLY in Napa tomorrow. Watching the half and IM today and sat by the campfire with a Lagunitas last night or lasterday as my grandson says. Nervous about the race the swim is long and there are hills and worst of all I feel ill prepared for both!
Do the best you can and leave it out on the course and you'll be proud of your efforts. Have a nice recovery beverage.
2014-04-12 4:53 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by Qua17

It's 43 degrees outside and I'm just procrastinating and hoping that a quick post will allow it to warm up outside.

I weighed in this morning and I have lost 2.2 pounds over the week. If I can get in a good week this week, I will hit 20 pounds next Saturday. That's once case of beer lost. Two more to go!

My hip has felt pretty good all week. It got a little sore after a long walk but didn't hurt all that much yesterday when I squeezed in a 3 miler on grass. For those of you who have been kind enough to pray for my hip - I need you to send some good vibes to my shoulder. Rotator cuff still hurts from jamming a shovel into a few inches of ice on my driveway. Haven't been to the pool in 3 weeks and am going to attempt it tomorrow. While Charles may be worried about 90 minutes in the water - I'm starting to worry about making the cut off.

Have a great weekend everyone and good luck to Dr. Bob and anyone else who is racing this weekend!
Great job on the weight loss.
I had a rotator issue my 8th and 9th grade year. I wrestled this one kid both years who would drive me to the mat with a power half. Each year, I strained my rotator cuff and was out for the rest of the year. I remember I had to stay off of it for it to get better. Maybe you could swim long and slow to see how it feels. No sprints. If you could just work on slow endurance type swimming to get your stamina up, maybe if that is pain free, you could slowly add intensity as you build your endurance.
I feel for you in this spot. 2.4 miles is a long swim in what, 2:20:00? Maybe another thought is to find another stroke to switch to like breast, or side stroke? Maybe it wouldn't hurt as much, and you could switch back and forth as a way to stay in the pool and work on endurance and stamina.
2014-04-12 4:54 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Glad to hear folks are generally doing well.

I got back from an impromptu vacation - visiting some family in Southern Illinois, fixing mom's car, etc. Ate like a pig but nailed my workouts.

Took my bike, saw a charity ride sponsored by Rotary, figured "hey, why not?" Here's the Garmin log.

4,006 feet of climbing. Those Southern Illinois Rotarians are some sick folks. Sick, sick folks. Quassy's only 2,500, and IMWI is only 3,000.

To top that off, I forgot to charge my Di2 battery (I haven't charged it, ever). It was at <50% before I left, and between the travel time and cold, it sapped the last of the juice. I lost my FD around mile 30, and my RD was gone by mile 45, so I was stuck in 39x14 for the last half of the ride. Walked up two hills (no shame in it). Called SAG at mile 35, but nobody answered, so I toughed it out. At the second rest stop, the folks said it was mostly flat, so I finished it out. Saw every bit of 40mph in aero too. NP at 206 too, which is close to 90% of my FTP.

Hit one of the local pools too, for my first iron-distance swim: 4,300 yards, in 1:50. Did a variety of drills to keep from going crazy. Had half a box of donuts afterwards. I'm a little fearful of the IMWI swim; even factoring in a wetsuit and race-day gains and adrenaline, I'm still looking at at least 90 minutes in the water. That's going to be a long day.

Got a few good runs in, including one that soaked me to the bone despite a rain slicker.

It was a good trip overall. No beer, crappy pizza, saw some friends, hit my workouts, fixed my mom's car, all in 4 days' work. Another day in the life.
Great post Charles. Strong work. That hard work is going to pay off at IMWI.

2014-04-13 12:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Nice work on that ride. My brother is a rotarian - I'd blame him for all your pain! All of these swims and rides you are doing are going to set you up well for Quassi and IMWI! Not only will you be more fit than you've ever been in your life - but you will tough as nails by then. Great job!

I appreciate the good words.

Diet and nutrition are major screwups this week, and it's really disheartening. I'm feeling out of control, and I don't know how to get it back.

April showers are also not fun - got chased off my bike loops by thunder and hail (!?!), which, of course, cleared up about 5 minutes after I got home. Tomorrow I was looking forward to a nice, long trail run, but calendar is showing more lightning for tomorrow, so it looks like it's more treadmill time.

This week has also been pretty frustrating - new strength and core workouts which are pretty rough, plus my first introduction to swimming with a band around my ankles: 4x25 has never been that hard, but it's showing me a lot about my stroke.
2014-04-13 1:33 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by adempsey10

Great HM Alan, congrats!
2014-04-13 1:36 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

New user
Madrid
If we ever designed a finisher medal for this specific group, here is an idea that perfectly matches our preferred hobby.

(BRASmedal.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
BRASmedal.jpg (95KB - 3 downloads)
2014-04-13 9:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Need advice or just a reality check. I am up to 1.4 miles on the run pain free just a bit of tightness. I am running this route 3x a week. I plan to take David's advice and skip the 10% rule and follow a more conservative 5% rule. However, there is a sprint on May 10th. Is a 5k too much too soon? Do I skip it and live to fight another day? My A race plan is the Augusta HIM at the end of September. Will pushing it set me back again?

It's 4 weeks away...is that enough time to squeeze in one 5k then go back to the lower training volume? I mean if you run a marathon that's 26.2 and the long training run for it is only 20 miles. Maybe just wait until the last possible minute and see how I feel.

Edited by Burd 2014-04-13 9:56 AM
2014-04-13 10:14 AM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Originally posted by Burd Need advice or just a reality check. I am up to 1.4 miles on the run pain free just a bit of tightness. I am running this route 3x a week. I plan to take David's advice and skip the 10% rule and follow a more conservative 5% rule. However, there is a sprint on May 10th. Is a 5k too much too soon? Do I skip it and live to fight another day? My A race plan is the Augusta HIM at the end of September. Will pushing it set me back again? It's 4 weeks away...is that enough time to squeeze in one 5k then go back to the lower training volume? I mean if you run a marathon that's 26.2 and the long training run for it is only 20 miles. Maybe just wait until the last possible minute and see how I feel.

When dealing with injury, training and racing I always look at it from a cost/benefit perspective. What will you gain from a 5km race? If any gain, will running the risk of further injury be worth the gain? If there is increased possibility of further injury by running the race but no significant gain, what's the point of doing it? If you suffer further injury from running the race, how will that affect your ability to run your A-priority race later in the season. Is the the affect on your A-priority race worth it for a 5km race? 

I would say that if a 5km race sets you back in your healing process, you still have enough time between now and September to recover for your A-priority (assuming you don't do another for awhile). So there is also the cost/benefit there. Is it better to have to cope with a nagging injury all season long but still take part in all the events you want. Or is it better to sit out the first half of the season so that you can finish the season with no pain on strong legs?

That's how my brain would compute the problem if it were me in your shoes. 

2014-04-13 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by Burd

Need advice or just a reality check. I am up to 1.4 miles on the run pain free just a bit of tightness. I am running this route 3x a week. I plan to take David's advice and skip the 10% rule and follow a more conservative 5% rule. However, there is a sprint on May 10th. Is a 5k too much too soon? Do I skip it and live to fight another day? My A race plan is the Augusta HIM at the end of September. Will pushing it set me back again?

It's 4 weeks away...is that enough time to squeeze in one 5k then go back to the lower training volume? I mean if you run a marathon that's 26.2 and the long training run for it is only 20 miles. Maybe just wait until the last possible minute and see how I feel.
Take a look at intensity. For myself, I'm not signing up for a 5K unless I'm out and out sprinting it to go fast. If I couldn't do that, without the fear of injury, I wouldn't do it.
2014-04-13 12:32 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Got in a 4.65 mile run at a 8:50/mi. pace. No calf pain. So excited. I'm going to be running 3x/week with a speed day, race specific, and long run day. I will not increase my long run until I run the distance 2 weeks in a row. No more than 10% volume increases per week. I'm also going to start swimming 2x per week at least. Will look to add the bike in soon as well.

So happy to be getting over this calf pain healthy.
2014-04-13 11:13 PM

User image

Expert
Sorry for the quick post. I worked both days this weekend as a Beer Tour Guide (can you believe they pay me to talk about beer) and I haven't had time to respond to your posts... but I promise to tomorrow.

I also didn't post the goal sheet. Be sure to fill it in on Monday. Have a great week everyone!
2014-04-13 11:18 PM

User image

Expert
DQ - 2:20 hours of BT, Lose 2 Pounds, Don't miss a workout!
2014-04-14 2:11 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Kevin-Run 12 miles, swim 2x, bike 2x.

2014-04-14 10:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by Burd

Is a 5k too much too soon? Do I skip it and live to fight another day? [...] I mean if you run a marathon that's 26.2 and the long training run for it is only 20 miles. Maybe just wait until the last possible minute and see how I feel.

I'm going to put on my arrogant b@$tard hat for a moment, and I apologize for being gruff: if you have to ask if a 5k is too much, it is. If you are recovering from an injury, or building back to a normal running volume, don't set back your progress by doing too much. Your goal is to run a half in September - that's the achievement. And honestly, if you are sweating running 5k right now, the 13.1 may as well be the moon right now. For a half, or a HIM, I would expect a 10-mile LSD to be relatively routine - a Sunday morning, "after first breakfast and before brunch" sort of run.

I hate to say it too - right now, I can't see the forest for the trees, since everything is focused on IMWI (21 weeks and counting) - it's all training, training, training. A race would be great to remind me **why** I am grinding through this stuff - but would be detrimental to the big show.

That being said, a race can be invigorating - so maybe go have a nice swim, a nice ride, and walk the 5k. You won't be the only one. Maybe set out to be DFL and encourage all the new folks. Hand out high 5s to all the volunteers, give a thumbs up to the bike course guides, and have a good day. Go have **fun**. That's why we are here.
2014-04-14 10:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by kevinbe

Nutrition and diet. Put down the BBQ. Eat clean until I leave for Boston and Quassy.
2014-04-14 10:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Discussion topic: running pace.

It seems like a lot of us have been having on-and-off difficulties with running. Let's talk about that.

Suggested discussion format:
What is your running history?
What is your current running training look like?
What is your current typical running pace (zone 2)?
What injuries have you had, and how did it work out?
Favorite running shoe?
2014-04-14 10:14 AM

User image

Originally posted by kevinbe
Originally posted by Qua17 DQ - 2:20 hours of BT, Lose 2 Pounds, Don't miss a workout!
Nutrition and diet. Put down the BBQ. Eat clean until I leave for Boston and Quassy.

Alan - Recovery Week, yoga everyday, some light strength training, 2 easy rides on the bike. 

2014-04-14 10:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

It seems like a lot of us have been having on-and-off difficulties with running. Let's talk about that.

Favorite running shoe?

I'll start:

Running for about 2 years seriously; longest run to-date is 27 miles at Chicago Marathon. Ran 1,000 miles last year, probably averaging around 20 mpw now, give or take.

Working with my coach, mostly technique-based, with a long run and a speed run, about 3 runs per week. Lots of varied stuff - like 30 minutes easy/warmup, 30 minutes at 10k pace, 30min easy/warmdown, or hill work, etc. Short run is at least an hour.

My zone 2 pace is around 9:45 to 10:00/mile. My 5k is around 21:00, and my current HM PR is 2:01.

Minimal injuries - mostly tightness, blisters, and the like. Foam rolling on occassion, golf-ball under foot stretches, etc. have been helpful. I have been careful to cultivate good form over speed, high cadence, and lightness on my feet. Nothing major or significant, fortunately.

For shoes, my go-to trainer is a Saucony Triumph 10. I run mostly in Sauconys, since their foot arch is perfect for me; Mizuno is a bit forward, and Brooks is a bit back. I also have a pair of Hokas I love, but those are too cushy for most runs.

2014-04-14 10:27 AM

User image

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon Discussion topic: running pace. It seems like a lot of us have been having on-and-off difficulties with running. Let's talk about that. Suggested discussion format: What is your running history? What is your current running training look like? What is your current typical running pace (zone 2)? What injuries have you had, and how did it work out? Favorite running shoe?

On and off again half marathoner (past 8 years) with one full under my belt. I don't run for pleasure, I do it because I'm competitive. 

For my IMMT training I do one long zone 2/3 run on Wednesday and 2 shorter interval runs for FT and speed training.

5:00min/km - 4:40min/km. 1/2 marathon PB is 1:45:19. 

I can't remember what it's called but some sort of band (not the IT) that connects on the inner bottom side of my left knee would cause sever pain while doing pretty much anything. Stayed off it over winter, pain recurred during my first run of season, went to PT, built up speed and distance gradually. Had to do stretches that basically emulated the butterfly stance (like a hockey goalie) and worked on running form with PT. Now back to 100%

Favorite running shoe?

Merrell Pace Glove II. Anything with 4mm-4mm sole with no heel to toe drop at all. Forefoot strike. 95 cadence. I used to use the Vibram five fingers, those were my favourite shoes to run in. Actually, I did just about everything in them, work, walking, hiking, running, you name it. I get severe lower back pain and knee pain walking in any shoe that has arch support or a raised heel. Finding flat shoes is tricky. I don't remember why I switched from five fingers to Merrell. No real reason I suppose. 

Edited by adempsey10 2014-04-14 10:30 AM
2014-04-14 4:02 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Started running in January of 2012, about 6 months after foot surgery. Never was much of a runner before then, heck never even considered the idea of running for exercise/pleasure.

Normally a 6 mile run on Tuesday and Thursday then a long 8-10 mile run Sunday. On Fridays I try to do a short and fast-ish run (< 3 miles), depending on how my work schedule is.

Around 9:30-9:45 mins/mile

The aforementioned surgery was not from running, in fact it gave me the opportunity to start running. My first year of running my knee gave me issues past 4 miles, which is why I tried a triathlon. Last year my knee issues cleared up and I decided to train for a half-marathon. This year I had foot issues that seemed to be from tight lacing, fortunately it has cleared up.

Favorite running shoe?

Altra Instinct / 3-sum: Zero drop and wide toe box.

2014-04-14 11:13 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Favorite running shoe?

I started running in middle school through high school to supplement weight control for wrestling. I began running 2-3 miles. When I was in college, to make it on team at NIC, I ran a half marathon in 1:46. I was running 6 minute miles for 9 miles, then I bonked. I finished up the last 4 miles in brutal fashion. I got an Achilles injury during this run that lasted over a year while I was in the Army (dropped out of college due to lack of funds, joined the Army for college funds.) I used to walk across the floor of my barracks, and you could hear an audible rip sound coming from my heal, like the sound of ribbon being stretched over scissors to wrap a present. I quit running in 2000 when I got out of Army. I could run 6:30 pace for 3 miles easy. I picked up running again in 2009 watching Terra Costa on the BL finish a marathon in 4:00:00. That inspired me to take a go at it. I signed up for marathon the next year and finished my first marathon in 3:35. It took me till my 5th to beat that time. finished my 5th in 3:32. My half in several of those marathons was at 1:40.
Currently, I am running 10 miles a week as of last week

When in prime shape w/o injury I pace at 8:00/mi pace for 26 miles. 10K pace is at 7: 20/mi. 5 K was at 6:40/mi. (z3)
I've had 7 or so runs in last few weeks. I'm at a 8:00 5K, and 8:50 pace for 4.6 miles. all z2 stuff.

After first HIM, I had immediate pain behind left knee that lasted 3 mo. It ruined training for my 6th marathon. I then developed the calf pain that has lasted 6 mo. which has ruined my plans at my first ultra-marathon. I have lost over a years time on the shelf recovering from both these injuries.
Favorite running shoe? Asics. I had a pair of Brooks on when I hurt my calf. Will never wear again.

Edited by kevinbe 2014-04-14 11:30 PM
2014-04-16 8:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well first night in Texas is in the books. Landed in Dallas yesterday afternoon and proceeded to hit 2 running shoe stores(Lukes & Run on...preferred Lukes) but ended up at a tri shop suggested by Dr. Bob....wow what a great  training facility/store. First sales person I met...was from Edmonton, AB, CANADA. What are the odds of that? Ended up buying some Scott shoes.

Had a nice easy WARM run this morning. 

Last night after a nice drive from Dallas, stopped by HEB?(grocery store) picked up a six pack of Karbach Hopadillo IPA. Not bad but I found the alcohol almost overpowered the hops. I will of course finish the six pack out of duty, but look more for the big bottles.

Cheers!

Edited by thor67 2014-04-16 8:58 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.