BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-04-22 7:59 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed

I don't know if it's kosher to do this but it is relevant and it is something some folks might be interested in. To earn some extra cash over the summer I'm starting a little side business putting my woodcrafting skills to use. I'm making and selling finisher medal racks. This is the original (40" maple) I made for my wife for Christmas to hold our medals (hers on the left, mine on the right). Below are three that I made for the booth we have at the Forest City half in London, ON this weekend (in which I am also running and going for another PB). I can't post any links but you can find us on Facebook at Dempsey Custom Medal Racks if you're interested. Cheers, fellas. 

2014-04-23 10:33 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Originally posted by adempsey10

I don't know if it's kosher to do this but it is relevant and it is something some folks might be interested in. To earn some extra cash over the summer I'm starting a little side business putting my woodcrafting skills to use. I'm making and selling finisher medal racks. This is the original (40" maple) I made for my wife for Christmas to hold our medals (hers on the left, mine on the right). Below are three that I made for the booth we have at the Forest City half in London, ON this weekend (in which I am also running and going for another PB). I can't post any links but you can find us on Facebook at Dempsey Custom Medal Racks if you're interested. Cheers, fellas. 

I'm a potential customer... I love the beer symbol. Could you do Swim/Bike/Run/Beer?
2014-04-23 10:40 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
It's a big day for me. It's hiump day in more ways than one. Not only is it a wednesday but I've got my long run today. I did the first 4 miles this morning and felt good. I've got to do another 3 this afternoon. If I can wake up tomorrow without pain in my hip - it will be the longest I've been able to run without hip pain since November of '12. Please pray that that happens. 6 weeks to HIM and 17 to IMMT. It's time to go!

Nats game last night was pretty good. Park was average. Beer was decent - we had a local belgian wit that was outstanding and a California Common that was good. Seeing Pujols hit #500 was cool. Wish I hadn;t been buying a hot dog for my kids - grr!

Hope everyone is well!
2014-04-23 8:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Front-door brag:

Today's run called for 90 minutes of running - 20 warmup, 30 at 10k pace, 20 at 5k pace, 20 cooldown. I think the pacing was optimistic at best (considering my 10k PR is ~54min, so 50min at 10k pace and faster seems, well, counter-intuitive). So I ran home from work - literally. I'm lucky in that my wife and I work about a mile and a half apart, so I can do that sort of thing.

Traffic usually sucks on the way home, so I freed up 45 minutes of that by simply running instead of driving, plus no stopping for traffic and whatnot. Also, the route is surprisingly hilly.

On the home stretch, I hit the local multi-use path, only to pass, at different points, three bro's wearing running tights and various college hoodies. Three! I'm running in shorts and a t-shirt, and yeah, my hands have been numb for the last four miles, but seriously, tights?!?! The snow has melted gentlemen, so, *ahem*, HTFU.

A good run.
2014-04-24 10:55 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Nice run! Being able to turn your commute into a training is great. I especially love biking past all the cars backed up at stop lights when I'm bike commuting home from work.

Yesterday I went for a good 1/2 mile open water swim. When I got to the beach I didn't see anyone from my swimming group and almost called it a day (no swimming alone!). I decided to wait a few minutes and watch the water as it was a beautiful day at the beach (no pictures this time). Good thing I did, as a lady came walking up the beach who looked like she was a swimmer. She walked up to me and asked if I was going swimming (the wet suit in the tub next to me was a good clue) as she was from out of town and heard there was a regular swimming group. This solved a problem we both had (no swim buddy) so we suited up and hit the water. It was cold (about 55*, based on a temperature reading from a nearby pier) and I was very thankful for my wet suit. Once I got warmed up we cruised down the buoy line and back to the pier.

2014-04-24 3:18 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by MOlsen
Yesterday I went for a good 1/2 mile open water swim. When I got to the beach I didn't see anyone from my swimming group and almost called it a day (no swimming alone!). I decided to wait a few minutes and watch the water as it was a beautiful day at the beach (no pictures this time). Good thing I did, as a lady came walking up the beach who looked like she was a swimmer. She walked up to me and asked if I was going swimming (the wet suit in the tub next to me was a good clue) as she was from out of town and heard there was a regular swimming group. This solved a problem we both had (no swim buddy) so we suited up and hit the water. It was cold (about 55*, based on a temperature reading from a nearby pier) and I was very thankful for my wet suit. Once I got warmed up we cruised down the buoy line and back to the pier.

Nice. Lake Michigan is averaging 40 degrees right now, and Lake in the Hills isn't much warmer. After our winter, I wonder if my first OWS this season might be at Quassy in 6 weeks.

2014-04-26 8:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Howdy folks. Dropping in to say I haven't fallen off the face of the earth just bee super busy. Sounds like everyone is doing well and getting in some quality training. Here it's been steady. My runs are at 15 minutes with no pain just discomfort. Tomorrow I go up to 17 minutes so we'll see how it goes.

Have a good weekend everyone and I will try to be more consistent with the group.
2014-04-26 1:09 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Front-door brag:

Today's run called for 90 minutes of running - 20 warmup, 30 at 10k pace, 20 at 5k pace, 20 cooldown. I think the pacing was optimistic at best (considering my 10k PR is ~54min, so 50min at 10k pace and faster seems, well, counter-intuitive). So I ran home from work - literally. I'm lucky in that my wife and I work about a mile and a half apart, so I can do that sort of thing.

Traffic usually sucks on the way home, so I freed up 45 minutes of that by simply running instead of driving, plus no stopping for traffic and whatnot. Also, the route is surprisingly hilly.

On the home stretch, I hit the local multi-use path, only to pass, at different points, three bro's wearing running tights and various college hoodies. Three! I'm running in shorts and a t-shirt, and yeah, my hands have been numb for the last four miles, but seriously, tights?!?! The snow has melted gentlemen, so, *ahem*, HTFU.

A good run.

Good on you! It's a great way to get it done. Not only did you avoid the traffic and help save the environment - but you embraced your inner b@d by shwoing those guys how it's done!. To be honest - those guys sound like they might be neighbors of Alex's from FLA. How was your pacing?
2014-04-26 1:17 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Burd

Howdy folks. Dropping in to say I haven't fallen off the face of the earth just bee super busy. Sounds like everyone is doing well and getting in some quality training. Here it's been steady. My runs are at 15 minutes with no pain just discomfort. Tomorrow I go up to 17 minutes so we'll see how it goes.

Have a good weekend everyone and I will try to be more consistent with the group.

I'm glad to hear that you are still running without pain. I know it's been a long and frustrating journey for you - but you will get back there!

I hope you do contribute to the group more frequently because you have a lot to add! I've been meaning to thank you for something you brought to my attention on the forum back in September. You had posted the Ultimate Motivational Video - "Rise and Shine". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbkZrOU1Zag

I liked it so much and was so inspired by it that I memorized the whole thing and now I recite it to myself before every workout to get myself in the right frame of mind. That video helped me to stay focused during the last six months of PT and I owe you a ton for posting it. So, I hope you will keep posting to the BDAAS forum. Everyone missed you Nancy Boy!
2014-04-26 5:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by Qua17

Good on you! It's a great way to get it done. Not only did you avoid the traffic and help save the environment - but you embraced your inner b@d by shwoing those guys how it's done!. To be honest - those guys sound like they might be neighbors of Alex's from FLA. How was your pacing?

Pacing is hard to estimate, since there was so many hills, but my average was 10:05 and the working sets were low 9's and high 8's. With the hill work, and I was going more by RPE - "comfortably hard" for the first 30:00 working minutes, and "uncomfortably hard" for the second 20:00. Also, officially, the "0 degree incline" button my treadmill has ceased to exist - the next six weeks are all at incline.
2014-04-26 6:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
My first trip out to the Verona Loop, from the IMWI course: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/485931850. Three or five more trips and I should have it memorized.

Took must of it easy - it was an exploratory run, so no pushing it. Still, some of those hills put me grinding and standing in the 28 gear at 400 watts. I think a compact crank is certainly in the future.

There is nothing flat or straight about this course. For a strong cyclist, this course is a playground - hills, climbs, descents, technical turns, S-bends, off camber stuff. . . you name it, it's here. Heck, Stagecoach Road might as well be cobblestones for how bumpy and cracked the pavement is.

Topped it off with a 35 minute brick run. More swimming and running tomorrow. Feeling good.

2014-04-26 6:27 PM

User image

Expert

My first trip out to the Verona Loop, from the IMWI course: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/485931850. Three or five more trips and I should have it memorized.

Took must of it easy - it was an exploratory run, so no pushing it. Still, some of those hills put me grinding and standing in the 28 gear at 400 watts. I think a compact crank is certainly in the future.

There is nothing flat or straight about this course. For a strong cyclist, this course is a playground - hills, climbs, descents, technical turns, S-bends, off camber stuff. . . you name it, it's here. Heck, Stagecoach Road might as well be cobblestones for how bumpy and cracked the pavement is.

Topped it off with a 35 minute brick run. More swimming and running tomorrow. Feeling good.

I'm so jealous that you get to practice on the IMWI course. I would give anything to have the IMMT course in my backyard. IMHO - the bike on an ironman course is where the race is won or lost (or the determining factor in whether you suffer or not). Being able to practice on the route is a huge advantage. Glad you are making the most of the opportunity.
2014-04-26 6:49 PM

User image

Expert
I just got back from running 4.5 miles and it was almost pain free. After battling for so long, it's such a relief to be able to run without experiencing pain! I upped my running time to 6 minutes running and 2 minutes walking and still no major pain. I think the fact that I've been running on grass has certainly helped, as has all the work with my outstanding PT. The breakthrough couldn't come at a better time - 5 weeks to HIM Quassi and 15 to IMMT. I'm finally feeling hopeful!

I've got a 3 hour bike ride tomorrow and I plan to push it a bit. I've got a rest week coming!
2014-04-27 6:11 PM

User image

Expert
I had a good ride today. I went 38 miles in 3 hours and felt really strong. The hip was the tiniest bit sore - but I will take that after the last few months. Luckily, I'm coming up on a rest week and that should get everything back to normal.

When I got home, I got to try Allagash's new Golden Ale aged in bourbon barrels. It was delicious. (Do you guys have Allagash in your area?) Then I washed that down with a beer from VA made by Devil/s backbone, It was their swartz beer and it was fantastic

Life is good ! Proust!
2014-04-27 6:18 PM

User image

Expert
Goals for the Week of April 27th, 2014

DQ - Record every calorie, lose 2 LBS, do PT every day, continue to get stronger, support by fellow BTers
2014-04-28 8:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Nice job on the workouts! Looks like you are headed in the right direction!!

Originally posted by Qua17 I had a good ride today. I went 38 miles in 3 hours and felt really strong. The hip was the tiniest bit sore - but I will take that after the last few months. Luckily, I'm coming up on a rest week and that should get everything back to normal. When I got home, I got to try Allagash's new Golden Ale aged in bourbon barrels. It was delicious. (Do you guys have Allagash in your area?) Then I washed that down with a beer from VA made by Devil/s backbone, It was their swartz beer and it was fantastic Life is good ! Proust!

2014-04-28 8:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Okay hockey season is officially done. It is time to focus on:
A) weight loss

B)Training

My weight has jumped in the past year due to injury, inactivity, drinking too much, and eating too much.

I think the excess weight has caused a lot of my small pains/injuries.  For example my back right now is not feeling great. should be good to go tomorrow but I am pretty sure it is the extra weight I am carrying!

As of today it all stops here, at least the excessive calorie consumption.

Goals:3 swims/3 bikes/3 runs

My plan is to get 3 swims in during the week in the morning. I will run 3 times a week at lunch and bike twice. Long bike on the weekends.

I have 11 weeks until my "A" race(my only race at this point...)

Finally, no more beer. May is a dry month. If I can drop at least 10-15lbs and stick to my goals, I may add some reward beers.

Help me ladies and gentlemen!

Thanks!

Originally posted by Qua17 Goals for the Week of April 27th, 2014 DQ - Record every calorie, lose 2 LBS, do PT every day, continue to get stronger, support by fellow BTers

2014-04-28 9:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by Qua17

I had a good ride today. I went 38 miles in 3 hours and felt really strong. The hip was the tiniest bit sore - but I will take that after the last few months. Luckily, I'm coming up on a rest week and that should get everything back to normal.

Any time on two wheels is good for the soul. I texted my wife when I was half way through my ride, to check in, and she responds "Glad you are having fun. Good Hunting ." That's a spouse that gets it.

Edited by mirthfuldragon 2014-04-28 9:38 AM
2014-04-28 9:44 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by thor67

Okay hockey season is officially done. It is time to focus on:
A) weight loss

B)Training

My weight has jumped in the past year due to injury, inactivity, drinking too much, and eating too much.

I think the excess weight has caused a lot of my small pains/injuries.  For example my back right now is not feeling great. should be good to go tomorrow but I am pretty sure it is the extra weight I am carrying!

As of today it all stops here, at least the excessive calorie consumption.

Goals:3 swims/3 bikes/3 runs

My plan is to get 3 swims in during the week in the morning. I will run 3 times a week at lunch and bike twice. Long bike on the weekends.

I have 11 weeks until my "A" race(my only race at this point...)

Finally, no more beer. May is a dry month. If I can drop at least 10-15lbs and stick to my goals, I may add some reward beers.

Help me ladies and gentlemen!

Thanks!

I can't even remember the last beer I had - so probably 12 weeks of dry training?

Wait, now I remember - a pecan ale by Abita. Exactly what it sounds like - reminds me of my family's southern roots. Still have a bottle sitting in the fridge. Can't justify it.

What's the race?
2014-04-28 9:47 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Veteran
Illinois
[Goals]:
A) weight loss

B)Training

Originally posted by Qua17 Goals for the Week of April 27th, 2014 DQ - Record every calorie, lose 2 LBS, do PT every day, continue to get stronger, support by fellow BTers

Charles:
(A) Nutrition - now until I leave for Quassy.
(B) Follow the plan, and stay focused on the strength/core work. No slacking.
(C) Sleep like it's on the plan.
2014-04-28 10:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

[Goals]:
A) weight loss

B)Training

Charles:
(A) Nutrition - now until I leave for Quassy.
(B) Follow the plan, and stay focused on the strength/core work. No slacking.
(C) Sleep like it's on the plan.

Alex
2 swims, 3 bikes, 3 runs, 3 strength days, continue to eat clean

2014-04-28 10:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Well I took the plunge and ordered my frameset. I went with a Quintana Roo Illicito. It's a lot more than I wanted to spend on a frame but it's the bike I really wanted. I will post a pic when it gets here in a few days.

Now do I run Ultegra 11spd or Force22 on it?
2014-04-28 10:25 AM

User image

Expert

Well I took the plunge and ordered my frameset. I went with a Quintana Roo Illicito. It's a lot more than I wanted to spend on a frame but it's the bike I really wanted. I will post a pic when it gets here in a few days.

That's gonna be some sexy bike porn. Way to pull the trigger Nancy!
2014-04-28 10:31 AM

User image

Expert
Work up this morning - no pain. I can't even begin to express how grateful I am for the gift of finally being healthy. Thanks a ton for all your support.

Yesterday a bunch of you posted on my facebook page about the following request:

Heading out on a long ride this afternoon and am looking for suggestions of songs to add to my exercise playlist. For example - KQ added Let it go, JQ added wagon wheel, I added carry on my wayward son... What do you think I should add that you think I would like?

Thanks to everyone who added a song. Here is the list so far:

ACDC Thunder Struck
Raiders of the Lost Ark - My pick
Rudy - My pick
Carry on my wayward son by Kansas - My pick
Let it go - my daughter's pick
Times like these by Foo Fighters
Battle Theme from Gladiator
Wagon Wheel - by son's pick
Sex on fire - my wife's pick (doesn't get much better)
Come with me now - Kongos
Ice Ice Baby
This Wheel's On fire - Bob Dylan
You're not alone - Rick Pino
Rocky Theme
Run Around - Blue's Traveler

Any more suggestions?
2014-04-28 1:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Have you had a bike fit yet? QRs tend to fit pretty aggressive - when I was shopping, the CD0.1 would only fit with a pretty significant amount of stack and pad spacers, with an 17 degree stem - and would have been filthy in the air. Also, the Illicito and a stationary trainer don't mix - will void the frame warranty.

With groupsets, I'm so far into the electronic shifting camp it isn't even funny - especially on tri frames. Every hill and every descent and every turn, just push the button and it shifts. Plus chain drag is a non-issue since the front derailleur tracks automatically as you go through the gears. Rear derailleur adjusts take about 30 seconds and I don't have to touch a screwdriver. Dual-position shifting is so useful, and I can dump the entire cassette up or down just by holding down the button - from 28 to 11 or 11 to 28 in 3 seconds. Oh, and simultaneous shifting of both derailleurs.

Crest the hill, jump to the big ring while holding down the button, and I've gone from 39x28 to 53x11 in less than 4 seconds, just in time to push that descent in to the 40+mph range. Hit the bottom of the hill, jump to the little ring, then tap-tap-tap as I drop gear and keep my spin back up the other side . . .39x11, 12, 14, 15, like stages of a rocket, dropping gear as I climb.

Last week, I went on a group ride on my roadie, with a mixed group - 3 roadie frames, 2 tri frames. Watching the mechanical tri bike riders, from the basebar, keep fiddling with the aerobar shifters while in road position, it's just silly.

10 v. 11 is a toss-up; replacement parts on 11 are going to be a bit pricier, and 10-speed wheels are going to be a bit cheaper, so right now I probably wouldn't let that be a deciding factor. I would run a 6800 Ultegra crank though (or Dura-ace, if you have money to burn) so you can run any Shimano crankring combination (standard, compact, or midcompact). The only downside is that it would prohibit you from running elliptical rings, but that's another discussion.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.