BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2014-03-16 8:28 AM
in reply to: Dangerjim71

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed

Originally posted by Dangerjim71 I'm definitely one of those type A's. My wife tells me that whenever she asks me to do something or about weekend plans she can tell that my brain immediately starts to figure out how I get my workout in around it. To my credit I made every kids soccer game and never said no to running the kids to and from the orthodontist. I did find creative ways of getting my workout in too. I rode my bike to my daughters soccer games or would get there early and run on the track for an hour. I was looking for some advice to help me with my running. I am training for my first marathon and have started doing some longer runs of 15-17 miles and have run into issues with chafing around the groin area and was wondering what people do for prevention. Body glide?

I actually have never had chaffing there, but for my armpits with my old tri kit Body Glide was the best option.

2014-03-16 4:59 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Veteran
Crissy - hope you had fun in Disney and too bad about your race but I love your perspective. I am a frequent Disney flyer...where did you guys stay?
Christina - WOW...fantastic job on your 1/2. A 10 min PR is awesome and a 1:47 is doubly awesome.

Scott - sorry to hear about your dog. I think you know with all the animals in my house, how I would feel about losing a member of the family.

So I had a swim test - which did not go at all as I had hoped. I am not sure how much of it is mental - as I hate going hard for 3x800 in a pool. I have shaved off some seconds in my 100s but my 3x800 times are virtually unchanged. I hate going to the pool.

Also had a sweat test (on the bike). Looks like I need to drink more.

I have a b**ch of a training week coming up and lo and behold I have to do a difficult swim workout on Tues - which happens to be my birthday. 20x50 using a band around my ankle and 10x100 using torture paddles for the main set AND a temp run. GRRR. So, speaking of priorities I was planning on going out to dinner with the family but I HATE to miss a workout especially with a 1/2 marathon coming up soon and my first HIM of the season in the near future. So not sure if I will postpone the festivities until the weekend.

2014-03-16 5:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by uhcoog

Originally posted by Dangerjim71 I'm definitely one of those type A's. My wife tells me that whenever she asks me to do something or about weekend plans she can tell that my brain immediately starts to figure out how I get my workout in around it. To my credit I made every kids soccer game and never said no to running the kids to and from the orthodontist. I did find creative ways of getting my workout in too. I rode my bike to my daughters soccer games or would get there early and run on the track for an hour. I was looking for some advice to help me with my running. I am training for my first marathon and have started doing some longer runs of 15-17 miles and have run into issues with chafing around the groin area and was wondering what people do for prevention. Body glide?

I actually have never had chaffing there, but for my armpits with my old tri kit Body Glide was the best option.

I used to get chafed doing longer runs. So I now simply use compression shorts for all my runs and the problem is solved.
2014-03-16 7:31 PM
in reply to: #4965930

I use Chamois Butter for chaffing in my armpits. They have $1 "travel sizes" available so you could try it out first. The local bike shops carry it. I prefer to change what's causing it, but in this case, I cannot - so I use the cream.
2014-03-17 8:10 AM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by ccmpsyd Crissy - hope you had fun in Disney and too bad about your race but I love your perspective. I am a frequent Disney flyer...where did you guys stay? Christina - WOW...fantastic job on your 1/2. A 10 min PR is awesome and a 1:47 is doubly awesome. Scott - sorry to hear about your dog. I think you know with all the animals in my house, how I would feel about losing a member of the family. So I had a swim test - which did not go at all as I had hoped. I am not sure how much of it is mental - as I hate going hard for 3x800 in a pool. I have shaved off some seconds in my 100s but my 3x800 times are virtually unchanged. I hate going to the pool. Also had a sweat test (on the bike). Looks like I need to drink more. I have a b**ch of a training week coming up and lo and behold I have to do a difficult swim workout on Tues - which happens to be my birthday. 20x50 using a band around my ankle and 10x100 using torture paddles for the main set AND a temp run. GRRR. So, speaking of priorities I was planning on going out to dinner with the family but I HATE to miss a workout especially with a 1/2 marathon coming up soon and my first HIM of the season in the near future. So not sure if I will postpone the festivities until the weekend.

I find the 3 x 800 to be a mental test as much as a physical one.  I too had my sweat test.  I lost 1.5 lbs over the second hour of the test.  I took in 1 bottle of fluids.  It says to me I need to drink a bit more.  It pretty much falls in line with my other sweat tests.  I need a lot of fluids.  For ME I know I can take in a bottle between every rest stop and be golden in an HIM/IM.  It's why I can easily live off the course fluids wise on the bike.

My advice as a coach is go out to dinner.  One workout isn't going to kill you.  Training for a half mary or a HIM is a cumulative effort over several months and missing one tempo run isn't going to kill you.  Let  your coach know you have a commitment and any coach worth their salt will tell you either not to worry about it or change your schedule.

2014-03-17 10:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by Dangerjim71

I'm definitely one of those type A's. My wife tells me that whenever she asks me to do something or about weekend plans she can tell that my brain immediately starts to figure out how I get my workout in around it.

To my credit I made every kids soccer game and never said no to running the kids to and from the orthodontist. I did find creative ways of getting my workout in too. I rode my bike to my daughters soccer games or would get there early and run on the track for an hour.

I was looking for some advice to help me with my running. I am training for my first marathon and have started doing some longer runs of 15-17 miles and have run into issues with chafing around the groin area and was wondering what people do for prevention. Body glide?

I use body glide for the weird chafing I get. Seems to work well. I also wear tights for running which solves 99% of issues I have had with chafing.

Also, kudos to setting your priorities well and fitting training around your life and not the other way around! Not always easy to do.

Edited by MechEChick 2014-03-17 10:36 AM

2014-03-17 3:26 PM

User image

Veteran

Originally posted by ccmpsyd Crissy - hope you had fun in Disney and too bad about your race but I love your perspective. I am a frequent Disney flyer...where did you guys stay? Christina - WOW...fantastic job on your 1/2. A 10 min PR is awesome and a 1:47 is doubly awesome. Scott - sorry to hear about your dog. I think you know with all the animals in my house, how I would feel about losing a member of the family. So I had a swim test - which did not go at all as I had hoped. I am not sure how much of it is mental - as I hate going hard for 3x800 in a pool. I have shaved off some seconds in my 100s but my 3x800 times are virtually unchanged. I hate going to the pool. Also had a sweat test (on the bike). Looks like I need to drink more. I have a b**ch of a training week coming up and lo and behold I have to do a difficult swim workout on Tues - which happens to be my birthday. 20x50 using a band around my ankle and 10x100 using torture paddles for the main set AND a temp run. GRRR. So, speaking of priorities I was planning on going out to dinner with the family but I HATE to miss a workout especially with a 1/2 marathon coming up soon and my first HIM of the season in the near future. So not sure if I will postpone the festivities until the weekend.

I find the 3 x 800 to be a mental test as much as a physical one.  I too had my sweat test.  I lost 1.5 lbs over the second hour of the test.  I took in 1 bottle of fluids.  It says to me I need to drink a bit more.  It pretty much falls in line with my other sweat tests.  I need a lot of fluids.  For ME I know I can take in a bottle between every rest stop and be golden in an HIM/IM.  It's why I can easily live off the course fluids wise on the bike.

My advice as a coach is go out to dinner.  One workout isn't going to kill you.  Training for a half mary or a HIM is a cumulative effort over several months and missing one tempo run isn't going to kill you.  Let  your coach know you have a commitment and any coach worth their salt will tell you either not to worry about it or change your schedule.

Yeah..we will be doing festivities over the weekend and will have cake and presents etc., tomorrow eve after my run Sort of a compromise.
2014-03-18 1:59 AM
in reply to: #4916036

Happy birthday!
2014-03-18 9:41 AM
in reply to: kathleenkp

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Happy Birthday!!!!!
2014-03-18 10:28 AM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Happy Birthday!
2014-03-19 6:09 AM
in reply to: #4967036

User image

Veteran
Thanks folks for the bday wishes

2014-03-20 10:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Oh! I used Skratch Labs drink mix this past weekend... That stuff ROCKS! I will definitely be getting some more of it. Thanks for turning me onto that!
2014-03-21 11:15 AM
in reply to: Dunn Right

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
They just posted the final course info for NOLA 70.3, I'm starting to get nervous!

My wave will be the second AG in the water this year (a huge improvement from last year) so I'm looking forward to some open road out there on the bike!
2014-03-21 1:23 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by Dunn Right They just posted the final course info for NOLA 70.3, I'm starting to get nervous! My wave will be the second AG in the water this year (a huge improvement from last year) so I'm looking forward to some open road out there on the bike!

I'll be right ahead of you.  Don't swim over me.  LOL.  

I'm starting to obsess a bit, about my race and about my athletes doing Galveston the week prior.  I really wish that the aid stations were a bit closer together and maybe one more.

2014-03-21 11:02 PM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Originally posted by Dunn Right They just posted the final course info for NOLA 70.3, I'm starting to get nervous! My wave will be the second AG in the water this year (a huge improvement from last year) so I'm looking forward to some open road out there on the bike!
I'll be right ahead of you.  Don't swim over me.  LOL.  

I'm starting to obsess a bit, about my race and about my athletes doing Galveston the week prior.  I really wish that the aid stations were a bit closer together and maybe one more.

If I don't chase you down in the water I know I won't have a chance of catching you on the bike haha
2014-03-22 3:44 AM
in reply to: #4967672

You two are sure lucky! I think when I looked up one of my expected starts, my AG is one of the last to go. I really don't want to have to swim over/around that many people. (Who will think the same thing about running past me, haha.)

I liked the race I did where they started you based on expected swim times - so the fastest people went first - and the slowest/most water-nervous could go last and have a gentler start.

2014-03-22 7:01 AM
in reply to: #4969374

User image

Veteran
Now you guys got me thinking about Quassy. I am starting to obsess about when I can actually get outside to ride. Storm expected to hit today and another on wed. The roads are in such terrible shape I don't feel safe riding them. I hear Quassy is quite hilly and there are lots of nice monster hills where I live. I hope I can get a few rides before the race if the roads ever get replaced.
2014-03-22 12:44 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by ccmpsyd Now you guys got me thinking about Quassy. I am starting to obsess about when I can actually get outside to ride. Storm expected to hit today and another on wed. The roads are in such terrible shape I don't feel safe riding them. I hear Quassy is quite hilly and there are lots of nice monster hills where I live. I hope I can get a few rides before the race if the roads ever get replaced.

You're disciplined enough that I think  you'll be fine.  Stick to the metrics and the hills shouldn't take too much out of your legs for the run.  

2014-03-22 1:06 PM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Small victory for me this morning, new PR for distance on the bike (54.3 miles)!

I know that's not a lot for all you Ironman vets out there but I remember a time in the not so distant past when I could barely get in 10 miles.

Of course, for some reason, I was that guy out on the trail again today. I guess I just get excited when it warms up and start riding like a teenager who just got their DL. I'm working on it, I promise.
2014-03-22 6:08 PM
in reply to: #4969385

User image

Veteran
Scott - I know but doing the major hills around here gives a bit of a mental boost. At least I run the hills.

Breaking Bad made the 3 hours on the trainer tolerable today.

We are supposed to be getting a major nor'easter this week. I have officially reached my limit.
2014-03-22 7:25 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by Dunn Right Small victory for me this morning, new PR for distance on the bike (54.3 miles)! I know that's not a lot for all you Ironman vets out there but I remember a time in the not so distant past when I could barely get in 10 miles. Of course, for some reason, I was that guy out on the trail again today. I guess I just get excited when it warms up and start riding like a teenager who just got their DL. I'm working on it, I promise.

Dude 54 is a long way.  Good job.

2014-03-23 6:08 AM

User image

Veteran

Originally posted by Dunn Right Small victory for me this morning, new PR for distance on the bike (54.3 miles)! I know that's not a lot for all you Ironman vets out there but I remember a time in the not so distant past when I could barely get in 10 miles. Of course, for some reason, I was that guy out on the trail again today. I guess I just get excited when it warms up and start riding like a teenager who just got their DL. I'm working on it, I promise.

Dude 54 is a long way.  Good job.

x2 Nice work.
2014-03-24 8:14 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
So this weekend's training was screwed. Supposed to ride 3 hours with a 30 minute Trun. Needless to say between my parents leaving Saturday, it getting cool/spitting rain Sunday morning, and getting our house ready to list it didn't happen. 3 weeks until NOLA and I really can't afford (mentally) to miss long training days.

2014-03-24 6:13 PM

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska

Back from Disney last weekend. I'd estimate we got in at least 10 miles of speed walking around the parks every single day.  Only exercise other than that was a quick 2 mile run the morning before flying home.  Have been swamped with activities since returning home and have cut most of my workouts short the last week and missed this weekend entirely.  So I totally get the frustration over missing a long training day, as I have missed them 3 weeks in a row. We stayed on the resort in the All Sports resort.  Pretty basic accommodations, but we liked the food there way better than the food in the park.  Mostly because we try and eat healthy and they had huge daily selections of foods like mahi-mahi, salmon, tilapia, steamed veggies, etc.

I have a race this weekend.  A 4 hour race, so at least I'll get a long workout in this weekend.   The weather forecast is calling for 40's - 50's for the race!  Kind of excited for the HOT temperatures.  I'm sure somehow the forecast will change before then and we'll be biking in freezing sleet/snow with frozen derailleurs like last year, unable to shift gears.  Oh, it was rather funny the last hour of the race last year, stuck in one of my lowest gears on an uphill, and then being forced to pedal like a mad woman to try and reach just 10-12 mph on the flat sections.  Perhaps I should give up racing when it's so cold out?  Nah, where is the fun in that?!  Oh, and I think I might have gotten frost nip on my fingers as ever since that race my fingers go white and numb if they get the slightest chill.  I used to never have to wear gloves, now I can't find mittens warm enough.

So, enough about me. I'm going to finish catching up on all of your posts now.

2014-03-25 5:38 AM

User image

Veteran

So this weekend's training was screwed. Supposed to ride 3 hours with a 30 minute Trun. Needless to say between my parents leaving Saturday, it getting cool/spitting rain Sunday morning, and getting our house ready to list it didn't happen. 3 weeks until NOLA and I really can't afford (mentally) to miss long training days.

It getting cool/spitting rain....? Seriously?

Just kidding...haven't you said to others something along the lines of "it's one workout"...."you have a big base"....etc. Don't sweat it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 23865 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 98222 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15728 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 28936 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : June 1, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Sport and religion both celebrate group values and offer excitement. Sport and religion are grounded in disciplined practice, a devotion to a cause, and a belief in the unseen. And both require faith.

date : April 18, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Balancing the triathlete you are with your vision for the triathlete you could be.
date : November 15, 2010
author : marmadaddy
Kelly Williamson, pro triathlete, reviews her Quintana Roo CD0.1 carbon bike.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.