BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2014-04-28 10:48 PM
in reply to: #4988694

Subject: RE: Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed
Thanks, Crissy. I almost missed your post b/c we were typing at the same time and cross-posted. My trainer was telling me all winter to back off on the training and see if shorter sessions would help, but I couldn't do it. I just love my workouts. I think your experience is also the case with me.

2014-04-29 7:23 AM
in reply to: crissy_jo

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by crissy_jo

Highlights from Saturday's 12 hour adventure race: flat tire at start of bike leg, self inflicted black eye from oar, 500 mph wind out of the East, waves on the lake big enough to surf during the canoe section, 50 cuts on the thighs from the thorniest state in the nation (thorn must be Iowa's state flower), winning $600 bike rims, finding elusive check point #17 in less than 12 minutes when other teams spent 60r to 90 minutes looking for it, and racing with the friendliest racers I know.

Final results haven't been posted and I'm anxious to see how we fared against the best racers in the nation.  I know they beat us, but curious how the rest of the field fared in comparison.

This sounds like so much fun!

2014-04-29 7:29 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by crissy_jo

Originally posted by kathleenkp Question: Are your muscles constantly tired with your training? Mine are - and I'm wondering if this is contributing to my weight gain (ie inflammation). Maybe I'm just too new at this training (even though I've been at this level for over a year) and I need to back off? I've also wondered if I backed off on some of it, if it would allow me to recover and therefore have more strength coming into my workouts. I was listening to a podcast by Ben Greenfield with Cate Shanahan (if anyone is familiar with him???) and thinking that of the pieces he mentions, that's the most likely for me. I need to make sure I'm getting enough sleep, too. He also mentioned a study that showed with endurance level training, you can decrease your metabolism by up to 30%. Now, even if that happened, I should not be GAINING weight - but doing something around maintaining levels. Yesterday I was uncomfortable hunched over on the bike. I don't like the additional volume in my abdomen that this weight gain has caused. Even though it's pretty solid in there, it's still volume.

The more endurance I seem to do, the more I seem to gain.  As soon as I switch to short workouts with higher intensity the weight and flab come right off. I'm burning less calories, but the shorter workouts don't increase my hunger like long training sessions do.  I read an article roughly 2 weeks ago about how long training sessions increase stress hormones and hunger - the two combined causes weight gain.  Just doesn't seem fair to burn off so many calories and end up gaining weight.

There are a few things about weight in regards to long/endurance type stuff vs. high intensity intervals.  If you do more long steady state stuff you are training your body to be more efficient.  More efficient with oxygen but also more efficient with calories.  So the better and more fit you get you actually burn less per hour than you used to at the same intensity.  That's a great thing come race day, but sometimes our minds don't get the message and we still want to eat like we did as a newb.  High intensity stuff will set your metabolism on fire.  

The honest to God answer is to periodize you training and then learn to match your food intake to your training at the time.  

2014-04-29 7:23 PM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Awesome job! That's some real beast mode right there.

Also, nice new pic Scott!
2014-05-01 12:08 PM
in reply to: #4988696

I'm accepting that my weight is not going to change, at least during this season. I'm not happy about it b/c I know that's weight I have to drag around on the bike and run courses. What I hope to accomplish is 1) complete the triathlons this summer and 2) figure out how to periodize my training and focus on recovery in the fall. It's hard for me to think about not being at the gym every day. Not only do I love working out, but my social life is there, too.
2014-05-04 9:09 AM
in reply to: kathleenkp

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Finally starting to feel like spring around here in DC, makes that long winter a distant memory!

2014-05-05 8:03 AM
in reply to: Dunn Right

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by Dunn Right Finally starting to feel like spring around here in DC, makes that long winter a distant memory!

Yay.  Outdoor rides!!

2014-05-06 11:11 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Sweet new picture Scott!

I am also loving the Spring weather, even if it's still a bit rainy. It's nice to get some longer, warmer rides outside!
2014-05-07 8:01 AM
in reply to: MechEChick

User image

Pro
CyFair

So I have clients and friends tapering for Texas.  It's giving me the itch (not that it takes much).  I really want to do 2 fulls next year.  I'm thinking Texas and either Florida or spending Thanksgiving in Cozumel.  

2014-05-07 9:47 AM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
IM Maryland!

On another note, I discovered that 4 x 1 mile is the devil -- it teases you into thinking you should go faster than you are. Then right around halfway through #3 you want to stop and puke everywhere. That being said, it made me push myself harder than I ever expected to for a run workout.

#1 - 6:24
#2 - 6:17
#3 - 6:21
#4 - 6:28
2014-05-07 2:37 PM
in reply to: Dunn Right

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by Dunn Right IM Maryland! On another note, I discovered that 4 x 1 mile is the devil -- it teases you into thinking you should go faster than you are. Then right around halfway through #3 you want to stop and puke everywhere. That being said, it made me push myself harder than I ever expected to for a run workout. #1 - 6:24 #2 - 6:17 #3 - 6:21 #4 - 6:28

You loved it.... LOL.  Oh and wanting to puke on interval 3 or 4 means you did it right.  

So for everyone else's benefit here is what this tells me.  1.  You should be running close to sub 20 minute 5ks.  2.  If you had an HR monitor we could take the avg HR from each of the intervals, average them together, and get your threshold.  From there you can set zones.  I find the test to be more accurate than Freil's field testing for long course.  3.  You so over cooked your bike in NOLA.  You should be running 1:30-1:35 half marathons at the end of races, not 2 hours.

2014-05-07 6:41 PM
in reply to: #4990198

My region took first place in men's AND women's AND the relay portion of US Master's Swimming Nationals this past weekend. I didn't go, but it makes me realize the type people (on a national level) that I am swimming against at the races here. I feel pretty slow when we get the heat sheets and I'm in the bottom 1/2 or 1/3 (even though I did get 3 2nd places in my AG at the regional meet.) They had Olympian swimmers there (I suppose that happens every year). It would be fun to go and swim/watch. Maybe next year. It'll be in Texas.

It's not a tri thing, but I'm excited since it's a part of my training - and since Christina is thinking of swimming some meets with the same region.
2014-05-07 6:42 PM
in reply to: #4993190

Just *reading* that 4x1 mile report makes me want to throw up. Yikes!
2014-05-07 6:44 PM
in reply to: #4993192

How hot would it be in Cozumel? I think that one would get my vote. Would your family go with you?
2014-05-07 8:03 PM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Originally posted by uhcoog

Originally posted by Dunn Right IM Maryland! On another note, I discovered that 4 x 1 mile is the devil -- it teases you into thinking you should go faster than you are. Then right around halfway through #3 you want to stop and puke everywhere. That being said, it made me push myself harder than I ever expected to for a run workout. #1 - 6:24 #2 - 6:17 #3 - 6:21 #4 - 6:28

You loved it.... LOL.  Oh and wanting to puke on interval 3 or 4 means you did it right.  

So for everyone else's benefit here is what this tells me.  1.  You should be running close to sub 20 minute 5ks.  2.  If you had an HR monitor we could take the avg HR from each of the intervals, average them together, and get your threshold.  From there you can set zones.  I find the test to be more accurate than Freil's field testing for long course.  3.  You so over cooked your bike in NOLA.  You should be running 1:30-1:35 half marathons at the end of races, not 2 hours.

Sigh, I know you're right haha
2014-05-08 8:21 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by kathleenkp How hot would it be in Cozumel? I think that one would get my vote. Would your family go with you?
to

80s.  Which to me isn't too bad.  The plan would be to take the fam.  The problem is going to be cost.  The cost in Panama City Beach to rent a house in what's their off season isn't too bad.

2014-05-10 7:10 PM
in reply to: #4993194

Bike Q - If I can ride w/o any issues for 3 hours (just a tad soreness in my knee and also need more Chamois Butt'r) - should I think about going faster during that time, or still working on upping the saddle time?

My mph was only 13 today b/c we did a killer hill route in my group ride and I couldn't really coast on the downhill - anxiety - so I braked it most of those parts, and then I took my boys out for another hour - they do not know how to ride in a group ha,ha.

I am hoping to go out on a longer ride this week. It's not in my plan, but I want to go - it's a nice paved trail and the weather should be great for it this week. I'll probably just do it in place of a one hour ride. It'll be very gentle slopes so I suspect I could easily do 17-18 mph for 3ish hours. Or should I focus on a lower speed, but go longer - like 16 mph for 4 hours to get used to the mechanics/duration in saddle?

My goal for Lake Stevens is 17mph, but the route has some hills. One of the ladies I ride with - we are a very similar speed - will be doing it for the 4th time this year. She said she definitely goes faster during the race than our rides in the area have been and doesn't think I'll have a problem reaching 17mph (or more). We have been doing a little over 16mph so far, though I think with a bit less hills than the race route.
2014-05-14 1:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Was a bit sad when I couldn't find this to read today. Glad to see it was just moved.

Originally posted by kathleenkp

Bike Q - If I can ride w/o any issues for 3 hours (just a tad soreness in my knee and also need more Chamois Butt'r) - should I think about going faster during that time, or still working on upping the saddle time?

My mph was only 13 today b/c we did a killer hill route in my group ride and I couldn't really coast on the downhill - anxiety - so I braked it most of those parts, and then I took my boys out for another hour - they do not know how to ride in a group ha,ha.

I am hoping to go out on a longer ride this week. It's not in my plan, but I want to go - it's a nice paved trail and the weather should be great for it this week. I'll probably just do it in place of a one hour ride. It'll be very gentle slopes so I suspect I could easily do 17-18 mph for 3ish hours. Or should I focus on a lower speed, but go longer - like 16 mph for 4 hours to get used to the mechanics/duration in saddle?

My goal for Lake Stevens is 17mph, but the route has some hills. One of the ladies I ride with - we are a very similar speed - will be doing it for the 4th time this year. She said she definitely goes faster during the race than our rides in the area have been and doesn't think I'll have a problem reaching 17mph (or more). We have been doing a little over 16mph so far, though I think with a bit less hills than the race route.

In my experience, having moved from a rural area to here, my averages riding around Seattle are slower because I slow down/stop for intersections and lights. And that's with my Garmin set to Auto Pause under 6 mph. This will not be the case at your race. And those slow downs do make a difference in your average pace.

I would not worry about doing longer workouts. 3 hours is plenty for Lake Stevens. You could introduce some speed work into your workouts, either on flat ground doing sprints/accels or doing hill repeats where you really push it for a set amount of time.

Hope you've been enjoying this beautiful weather!
2014-05-18 9:18 PM
in reply to: #4994521

Thanks, Christina.

Yes, I have been enjoying the weather. Lucky for me it's been during the week - so I could ride and lay outside. Then, it's been rainy while I'm at work on the weekends. Usually the weather goes the other way for me.

Have you been able to enjoy it, too?

I went with just time in the saddle and didn't try to push it. Even though I've had some workouts approaching 3 hours on the bike, they've had regroups/etc and this was the first extended time sitting in the saddle (a little painful, might need a different style) and I didn't know what I would be capable of for that duration. I also had to make two unplanned trips to the bike shop in the opposite direction from the trail which factored in a bunch of stop signs every block. On the trail, I could go for 2-3 miles in the aero position before I had to slow/stop for a crossing. It got to where I was ever so thankful for the 2 second stop as I unclipped and put one foot on the ground before restarting. That small amount of time off the saddle helped.

The Lake Stevens course is pretty hilly I hear. So I will have to start working that type of riding in. This ride was my first major one on my own since my crash last fall, and even then, it was mostly on the trail. I'm slowly working my way up to doing street rides on my own. It's the down-hills (esp with corners) around here that I have to work through with the anxiety. Just coasting down hills I can get over 43 mph, and I'm trying to be as "big" as I can to slow down. Once I got to 50.1. I'm pretty sure my eyes were closed at that point. I usually pass the guys, even when I give them a good lead, and it freaks me out. Them, too, because I am total crash material from lack of handling time. And we haven't done anything like the big LS hill yet.

I'm feeling pretty confident in being able to get through the swim/ride portion, but still pretty nervous about the run. I keep questioning if I am going to be able to do it.

How is your training going for CDA? A guy at my gym is doing it. He's been upping his time in the pool the last couple weeks. I hope he keeps at it (tris in general). He's a little slow swimming, but he looks good/strong and I think he has a lot of potential to get faster.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 23865 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 98222 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15727 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 28936 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : June 1, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Sport and religion both celebrate group values and offer excitement. Sport and religion are grounded in disciplined practice, a devotion to a cause, and a belief in the unseen. And both require faith.

date : April 18, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Balancing the triathlete you are with your vision for the triathlete you could be.
date : November 15, 2010
author : marmadaddy
Kelly Williamson, pro triathlete, reviews her Quintana Roo CD0.1 carbon bike.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.