General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-07-21 10:44 AM
in reply to: ECS49

User image

Yardville, NJ
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!!
Originally posted by ECS49

I love race reports. I swear every weekend when I see others doing events I get antsy and wish I was racing! This weekend has sucked as I sit here getting fatter and out of shape. Thats how I feel anyways.

Next week will be the last hard week and then a somewhat taper week and then race week. I think I am really not gonna taper much since its just a sprint

Hopefully I didn't put you to sleep with mine. I know how tough this last weekend must have been for you. You'll be back in stride in no time!

2014-07-21 10:51 AM
in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by Clarkey77

So I picked up a new bike - specialized Allez - new to me - used! Couple years old.
Bike is in good condition and is a fit size wise! Got some new shoes:pedals:cleats as well!
Taking it for a test ride this weekend!

How's the new ride? My road bike is a Specialized Secteur and I know several that ride Allez and love it. Best of luck with it! Pics?
2014-07-21 10:52 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ

My calories are pretty darn good during the week. Almost all from chicken/fish, protein smoothies, veggies and fruits.

Did 30 miles with the bike group and It was tough, this group is fast and the course is always full of hills. At first I think I was into it because it was something different but now that I know the general route(s) it has kind of lost its appeal because I know where all the super tough areas are and kind of dread them

I've resolved myself to riding alone. I can't find a group that we all pace the same. I either push too hard to keep up or I'm not pushing hard enough because I don't want to drop someone.
2014-07-21 10:53 AM
in reply to: Robijohn

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by Robijohn

Congratulations to you and the whole family! What an inspiration. I am at the beginning ( day 1) of my journey to a sprint tri. My last was 15 years and 30 lbs ago. So I'm looking for inspiration, motivation and a virtual training group. Thanks for reopening this forum. I hope we get a conversation started.

Welcome aboard!
2014-07-21 10:56 AM
in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

Yardville, NJ
Oh, and 1 more thing. I'm 4 weeks away from my first Olympic distance tri and I'm freaking out! How the hell am I going to run a 10K after 25 miles on the bike? I'm strugging with 5k on the sprint.
2014-07-21 12:17 PM

User image

Awesome, that is a huge triathlon, congrats.

With your training you'll be fine, you can always walk or take a break, I know many people walk the water station

I'm excited for today, 3 days off and I feel super fresh. Gonna run to the Y, swim, and then run home.

I love to hear about races, I assume because it's still new at this point, although it's great to talk with similar athletes with similar goals. For me on top I'd just getting back to training but I really need to get on the bike and have a good week

2014-07-21 9:45 PM

User image

Update time......all good news for once!

Scale time, 4 days of zero workouts, my daughters birthday party, and sitting around bored only resulted in a 3 lb weight gain and after my workout today, those 3 pounds were gone! Ran 3 miles to they gym, swam 1500, 3 miles home.

So, more good news. Well first, I was at the hospital all day with my mom who was having the minor surgery this time, between the 2 of us we had a rough couple days!, but she is fine and I sat in the hospital for about 6 hours. During the time I decided I would investigate Total Immersion swimming. Sooooooo, I try it out tonight, totally self teaching which I am sure I still doing tons of things wrong, but get this. My normal amount of strokes to cross a 25m pool is 22-25. Tonight, 15-18. Holy crap I couldn't believe it, I am excited to dig even deeper into this

Check this out though, so I am over at my moms, thus using the Y by her house. I see a sign in the lobby, total immersion swimming clinic this weekend. It was like a sign from above!! I am like, what is the chances the day I study all this their is a class here this weekend. Totally excited......until I check out the sign up. 450! You have gotta be kidding me, FOUR HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS FOR A SWIM CLASS. I was/am in shock
2014-07-22 8:34 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ

Update time......all good news for once!

Scale time, 4 days of zero workouts, my daughters birthday party, and sitting around bored only resulted in a 3 lb weight gain and after my workout today, those 3 pounds were gone! Ran 3 miles to they gym, swam 1500, 3 miles home.

So, more good news. Well first, I was at the hospital all day with my mom who was having the minor surgery this time, between the 2 of us we had a rough couple days!, but she is fine and I sat in the hospital for about 6 hours. During the time I decided I would investigate Total Immersion swimming. Sooooooo, I try it out tonight, totally self teaching which I am sure I still doing tons of things wrong, but get this. My normal amount of strokes to cross a 25m pool is 22-25. Tonight, 15-18. Holy crap I couldn't believe it, I am excited to dig even deeper into this

Check this out though, so I am over at my moms, thus using the Y by her house. I see a sign in the lobby, total immersion swimming clinic this weekend. It was like a sign from above!! I am like, what is the chances the day I study all this their is a class here this weekend. Totally excited......until I check out the sign up. 450! You have gotta be kidding me, FOUR HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS FOR A SWIM CLASS. I was/am in shock

That IS good news all around! I'm glad the weight dropped right off and it doesn't sound like fitness suffered. The rest probably did you good.

$450 is insane! That's almost a year's membership at the Y.
2014-07-22 9:10 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I agree 450 kinda of a lot. I have paid $200 for a chi running clinic so I understand things cost money and renting pools even more. Nice thing about running clinic is you can pretty much do them anywhere.

If you want to get better at swimming master swim class especially if the coach is a triathlete would probably help more and be cheaper. Same time I done many sessions with many coaches and ironically the last one to help me did the most for me. That being said even the one who did least for me directly helped me out the most.

Finger tip drills, catch up drill. learning to make sure you swim wide and tall. Main thing I learned is stroke goes into the water and not on top. . It helps havine someone who can look at you.
2014-07-22 10:33 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
MY girl and I bought a vitamix yesterday. Mainly for her but I am starting to think how can I use it to lose weight myself.
2014-07-22 11:12 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

I did find out my Y has a masters swim class, 30 bucks a month. I believe they swim 7 days a week but only 3-4 of those have a "coach"

As far as the vitamix, I am sure you will love it. I use our mixer all the time to come up with low cal and nutritious drinks

2014-07-22 6:47 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by Mfechter67

Oh, and 1 more thing. I'm 4 weeks away from my first Olympic distance tri and I'm freaking out! How the hell am I going to run a 10K after 25 miles on the bike? I'm strugging with 5k on the sprint.

Scratch that, it's really 3 weeks to my Oly. I did 15 miles on the trainer this morning, then ran5.75 after work.
2014-07-22 7:07 PM
in reply to: #5028132

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
ECS: I can only speak for the Ys in Memphis, but those that have Master's Swim only run 3x a week...
2014-07-22 7:08 PM
in reply to: #5028132

User image

ECS - congrats on the maintenance of the weight! - although 450 is a ton I understand it - they are a specialty and elite!

Mike - good luck in your race! That's my goal end of next season! Rocket man Florida!,,,,,!

I took the new bike out for its first ride last night and I Love it!
Not as good as the Fuji I rented for my Tri, but compared to my jalopy it's GREAT!
Yeah I'll post pics as soon as I can - nothing special - 2011 model in great shape - orig owner replaced the fork due to a defect. And upgraded the crank... Not sure to what, but said he put $200 into last season w the crank and new tires. - tires has Zero wear on them! Plus tossed in a decent pump and really handy bike tool, plus a lock that I will never use!
2014-07-22 9:19 PM

User image

Went for a long swim today to see if this whole TI swim is as legit as it felt in the other pool.

I honestly can't believe its taking me almost 10 LESS strokes to get across a 25m pool. I normally do 200's in 190-195 strokes (i count, lol) and I was doing 200's in the 130 range. That is huge! My times weren't WAY faster, in fact they were pretty darn close, but the effort level is considerably less. Hopefully/maybe the speed comes as I start to learn and train my body.

Flaked out on the bike as its just SO inconvenient to ride my bike anywhere around here. Gonna get up bright and early while the wife is home w kids and take it too my favorite bike path, do a nice long ride and finish it up with a solid little brick run.

I think I am 2 weeks out from my sprint and then 4 from my first ever Olympic
2014-07-23 8:35 AM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Mike and ECS- Good luck to both of you on your upcoming races!

Clarkey- Jealous about the bike! Ride it like you stole it!

I'm personally hoping to join the Olympic crowd during the '16 season. I'm training swim and bike at almost Oly distances now, the run is holding me back... but *knocks on wood*, I seem to have worked out the injury issues and am progressing nicely. Keep your fingers crossed because I'm planning on a full run 5K this Sat in place of a brick. Nothing special, not a race, but will track it with Strava and maybe... juuuust maybe I'll post the results, lol!

2014-07-23 1:13 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Hey all. I have been lurking and not playing here for a while. I have been desperately trying to make up training time before NYC tri NEXT weekend. EGADS!!! I still need to get my butt out in the lake and swim. Rain has kept me out of the water for a while now. this weekend, I am gonna get a couple of miles in. I swear!

2014-07-23 10:19 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Originally posted by WebFootFreak

Clarkey- Jealous about the bike! Ride it like you stole it!

I'm personally hoping to join the Olympic crowd during the '16 season.

Love the bike, not need to get the neck back in shape for long rides (haven't been riding much this summer since I broke down on a group ride earlier this year....

OLY for me in 15 hopefully!
2014-07-23 10:21 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Originally posted by ceilidh

Hey all. I have been lurking and not playing here for a while. I have been desperately trying to make up training time before NYC tri NEXT weekend. EGADS!!! I still need to get my butt out in the lake and swim. Rain has kept me out of the water for a while now. this weekend, I am gonna get a couple of miles in. I swear!

My brother dropped out as he got pretty sick (cold/flu/virus) and he couldn't train for a few weeks recently and this was his first OLY.
Didn't feel comfortable going to NYC half sick doing a stretch race.

I wont see you there, as Im no longer heading down there.
2014-07-24 6:44 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Clarkey77

My brother dropped out as he got pretty sick (cold/flu/virus) and he couldn't train for a few weeks recently and this was his first OLY. Didn't feel comfortable going to NYC half sick doing a stretch race. I wont see you there, as Im no longer heading down there.

Dang!

2014-07-24 8:55 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Yardville, NJ

Good luck in NYC. No problem swimming in the rain, you just might get a little wet! lol As long as there's no thunder or lightning, you're good to go

2014-07-24 10:31 AM

User image

Good luck in NYC, can't wait to read the report :D

Good day yesterday, on top of getting a nice Bike/Run brick in I went to Half Price Books and found the Total Immersion swimming book for 2.99! So I'll have something to read.

In other news my Tri is next weekend and I am realizing I have never had my wetsuit ON much less practice in it. Duh, better do that sooner than later. I might not even wear it, we'll see
2014-07-24 3:39 PM

User image

2 random thoughts.........

First, I was reading my old post about tri tops and it got me thinking. My tri top is tight, not crazy tight but its about as snug as can be. So that 2nd race I did where my swim was so bad because I freaked in the water I was wearing it. However, my first Tri I was shirtless and had basically zero issues. Is it possible that I started breathing hard off and because my chest was compressed I felt like I was getting a lack of air and then freaked?

I dont know why I never considered that, but since I generally have zero problems in the pool I am wondering if that was the culprit. If so I am in trouble because I haven't seen them any bigger than 2xl. Any ideas on how to stretch it out some?

2nd- This one for Chirunner or anyone else really, while I was in the book store I saw a book for Chi running, I never knew that was a thing, worth picking up?
2014-07-24 3:52 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Maybe its too tight. Maybe you are just not used to it. Mine feel like skin on the body. I would try it in the pool a few times just to see if its the top or your just not used to it. I would make sure you wash it out right away when done. I try to protect my race gear from excess wear and tear.

AS for the book I love Chi running. Chirunner134 is not just because I live in the Chicago Area. I met Danny Dryer day before my first marathon 2004. He changed my life in about 30 secs. Made the marathon doable even for a man my size.
2014-07-24 4:01 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by ECS49 2 random thoughts......... First, I was reading my old post about tri tops and it got me thinking. My tri top is tight, not crazy tight but its about as snug as can be. So that 2nd race I did where my swim was so bad because I freaked in the water I was wearing it. However, my first Tri I was shirtless and had basically zero issues. Is it possible that I started breathing hard off and because my chest was compressed I felt like I was getting a lack of air and then freaked? I dont know why I never considered that, but since I generally have zero problems in the pool I am wondering if that was the culprit. If so I am in trouble because I haven't seen them any bigger than 2xl. Any ideas on how to stretch it out some? 2nd- This one for Chirunner or anyone else really, while I was in the book store I saw a book for Chi running, I never knew that was a thing, worth picking up?

Chi running rocked my world! You will hear lots of pros and cons but it makes perfect sense physiologically AND it made my running NOTICEABLY easier. I took one of their half day training courses. I am lucky, I live near the town that is their headquarters. You can go run with the lot of them any time you want. I should do that, but haven't... yet.

Your tri top may be the culprit, I found just the compression from my wet suit caused some breathing panic, even when I trained in it. The adrenaline of the race + that can cause problems.

Oooohh.. I just had a panic moment thinking of my upcoming tri.. BREATHE.

On the good side (sorta) my time for last year was dismal because I had to walk 90% of the run due to a pinched nerve. As long as things go okay this year, I should do better.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 26968 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 98217 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15723 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 28930 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 0
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
date : September 19, 2004
author : Michael
I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
author : Ron
What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?