General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-07-24 4:02 PM
in reply to: ECS49

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!!

Originally posted by ECS49 Good luck in NYC, can't wait to read the report :D Good day yesterday, on top of getting a nice Bike/Run brick in I went to Half Price Books and found the Total Immersion swimming book for 2.99! So I'll have something to read. In other news my Tri is next weekend and I am realizing I have never had my wetsuit ON much less practice in it. Duh, better do that sooner than later. I might not even wear it, we'll see

TI rocked my swimming world the same as Chi running.

GO GET IN THE WATER WITH THAT WET SUIT!!!

(I am doing the same this weekend).

2014-07-24 4:59 PM
in reply to: #5029306

User image

Ok chi...... Change my world in 30 seconds, lol. I have never had issues running but love to learn
2014-07-24 5:04 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
lean from your ankles.
2014-07-24 7:52 PM
in reply to: #5030225

User image

Robin - TI changed my swimming in a great way! I didn't get as much out of chi running - got more out of running more frequently for similar and shorter distances!
2014-07-24 9:56 PM
in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Hopefully I am not boring everyone's pants off with my updates.......today was a pretty sweet day though. Since I have began training only using HR I have been improving my running times/paces especially on speed days. Today I set my own PR doing speed work .5 miles at a time.

For reference here is what I am doing: 1 mile to get warm. .5 mile run full speed followed by a .25 mile jog to cool down. Short 1-2 min break and repeat 3x. Then another mile or so to get a good cool down. Ends up being about 3.5-4 miles.

So, half mile #1 set my new PR at 7:12 pace mile! Obviously not crazy fast for some, but for me pretty darn fast. Ended up doing the next 2 at 7:20 and then 7:16 which honestly shocked me because that last half I felt like I was toast and it was gonna be in the 7:30-740 range. Anyways, excited that the HR training MAY be working, I guess we'll see if things continue to improve. I guess the next milestone to break will be the under 7 min half miles which would be pretty sweet.

2014-07-25 6:29 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Clarkey77 Robin - TI changed my swimming in a great way! I didn't get as much out of chi running - got more out of running more frequently for similar and shorter distances!

You can't beat repetition as a tool for improvement, no matter what "technique" you are using.

2014-07-25 6:30 AM
in reply to: ECS49

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by ECS49 Hopefully I am not boring everyone's pants off with my updates.......today was a pretty sweet day though. Since I have began training only using HR I have been improving my running times/paces especially on speed days. Today I set my own PR doing speed work .5 miles at a time. For reference here is what I am doing: 1 mile to get warm. .5 mile run full speed followed by a .25 mile jog to cool down. Short 1-2 min break and repeat 3x. Then another mile or so to get a good cool down. Ends up being about 3.5-4 miles. So, half mile #1 set my new PR at 7:12 pace mile! Obviously not crazy fast for some, but for me pretty darn fast. Ended up doing the next 2 at 7:20 and then 7:16 which honestly shocked me because that last half I felt like I was toast and it was gonna be in the 7:30-740 range. Anyways, excited that the HR training MAY be working, I guess we'll see if things continue to improve. I guess the next milestone to break will be the under 7 min half miles which would be pretty sweet.

From someone who runs an average of 12+ min/miles. That is lightening fast! Good work.

2014-07-25 9:04 AM

User image

We just got a new scale that also does BF%, this thing is gonna be the death of me or maybe the best thing ever. I obsess over it now........need to stay away from the scale!
2014-07-25 7:45 PM

User image

Hey all - Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.

I am volunteering at an Ultra Marathon tomorrow.
My friends support crew.
Im volunteering for 6 out of his 12 hour race.
The Ultra is a 5k loop that they repeat. - Ultra around the lake in Wakefield, MA

as for me today
I did a good 25 min of weights - Chest and back - super setting to keep HR up.
Then a 4 mile run (3.88) at a pace I was very happy with.
2014-07-26 8:28 AM
in reply to: #5030271

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
I just finished my first full-run 5k since boot camp in 1991!!!

Check out my 3.1 mi Run on Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/171082713
2014-07-26 4:03 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by WebFootFreak I just finished my first full-run 5k since boot camp in 1991!!! Check out my 3.1 mi Run on Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/171082713

Congratulations!

2014-07-26 7:04 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

I just finished my first full-run 5k since boot camp in 1991!!!

Check out my 3.1 mi Run on Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/171082713

That's awesome! Great job!
2014-07-27 1:58 PM
in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

That is awesome and as long as you put the time in you'll just keep getting better
2014-07-27 2:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Okay... Sunday Update Time!! I'm going to take it day by day this week... see how it comes out.

Firstly, I'm not sure what to think about the scale this morning... I weighed 255 before my ride this morning and 252.5 after. When I had a normal Sunday session, I would always weigh after so unless there are no objections, I'm taking the 252.5! I even downed a banana before the ride, and killed 32+oz of water between weigh-ins so... yeah... I'm taking it...

Monday: Normally a swim, but since Amy worked Sunday night, this turned into a rest day.

Tuesday: I got up and did my run in the morning. The plan was for another 28min sustained run, but thanks to a bad case of "fat guy thighs" on top of "skateboarder quads" well... my compression shorts wore out and much chafing was to be had. Cut that run a bit short: 2.1mi in 28:08. Planned on an evening ride, but stomach issues put that idea to rest.

Wednesday: Planned on an AM swim to make up for Monday, but lingering stomach issues changed my mind. Got off work early to hit the Y. Got 200yds in before they shut it down due to weather. Not happy.

Thursday: Started to hit my stride for the week: 30min sustained run: 3.1mi 42:31 (included warmup/cool down) in the morning. Group Ride in the evening: 14.1mi 53:[email protected]. It felt slower than what it was, but it was nice to get out on such a GORGEOUS day.

Friday: Planned swimming time with family... never happened. Turned into rest day #2

Saturday: Planned attempt at full run 5K. 3.1mi 41:01@13:13/mi = SUCCESS. First time I ran an entire 5K since the 5mi formation run in boot camp in 1991. Went to the pool late that morning. Amy got her 150yds in (training for Memphis in May 2015), then I jumped in. I must say the outdoor pool at Nuber Y in Memphis was a refreshing (and burning) change. I kept it to 1000yds in 26:00, but the aquatic shenanigans with the family burned some calories too.

Sunday: Normally a rest day, I took this morning for my Sat ride. I really didn't want to brick into my 5K attempt. I was out for 1:06:25, went 18 miles flat (weird, that) avging 16.26mph. I took a route through town forgetting how bad some of the roads are. that slowed me down just a bit..

I have to call this week successful! A little light on the swim, but I'm not too worried about the swim at this point. Riverbluff is 400M, and I normally crank out 1500-2000 each session. I need to work my bike intervals, and see if I can't push my run to 4mi, then start working intervals to get speed up. Any other suggestions are always welcome!

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-07-27 2:44 PM
2014-07-28 3:47 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Well, looked through the hundreds of photos that we took about 8 days ago at a wedding and yep, the photos don't lie (or how my suits don't fit anymore).

18+ months (or is it longer?) of minimal "training"/activity and I have gotten to a place I don't like and MUST do something about it.  I maybe following along in here for a while. 

I hit the triple 30's.  30lbs overweight, BMI at almost 30, and BF at 30, I tire easily, achy joints, etc...  All signs that I HAVE to start something.  July 24 ended the junk food (with some withdraw symptoms!) and trying to be more active.  I was going to sign up for crossfit but saw that as injuries waiting to happen plus I figured the most weight I would lose doing that would be in my wallet.  YIKES, expensive!  So decided to join my wife's hot yoga studio instead.  I'm looking forward to some help with flexibility, strength and cardio that comes with that PLUS it lets me get some additional cardio in on the side when/if I get back in to racing. 

Good luck everyone!

2014-07-28 7:45 PM

User image

Firstly, I'm not sure what to think about the scale this morning... I weighed 255 before my ride this morning and 252.5 after. When I had a normal Sunday session, I would always weigh after so unless there are no objections, I'm taking the 252.5! I even downed a banana before the ride, and killed 32+oz of water between weigh-ins so... yeah... I'm taking it...

How long was your ride?
Unfortunately I think its either time for a new scale or new glasses.
Losing 2.5 lbs during a workout is a killer workout.
Very possible w\ a ton of sweat (I sweat PUDDLES when training - literally!) and I don't think I lose that in an hour to hour and half workout...

• As for me,
    I had a good time volunteering on Saturday. I had a GREAT workout Friday, a disappointing run yesterday, but made up for it with a KILLER reverse brick! 2.5 mile run and then a 9 mile bike!

Feeling back in it!

2014-07-28 9:08 PM

User image

Originally posted by Clarkey77

How long was your ride?
    Unfortunately I think its either time for a new scale or new glasses.
    Losing 2.5 lbs during a workout is a killer workout.
    Very possible w\ a ton of sweat (I sweat PUDDLES when training - literally!) and I don't think I lose that in an hour to hour and half workout...

• As for me,
    I had a good time volunteering on Saturday. I had a GREAT workout Friday, a disappointing run yesterday, but made up for it with a KILLER reverse brick! 2.5 mile run and then a 9 mile bike!

Feeling back in it!

Us fat guys can lose some serious weight during training. I have lost upwards to 10 pounds in a single session, but I have it too lose, I sweat a ton so most of it is water weight and my metabolism is high.

Had a little too much fun Sat night and was out of commission Sunday. This Sunday is my race so this week is all about the taper, but also eating very clean and trying to get some rest.

Nice little hour bike ride with about 2k m in the pool today. STILL have not used the wetsuit for a swim yet but did wear the tri top today and its prob all in my head but I felt a bit constricted. Unzipped and instantly felt better. Plan on breaking out the wetsuit Thursday to give it a test run, will look like the biggest fool ever in the pool but will be going EARLY to avoid further embarrassment, lol
    2014-07-28 11:06 PM
    in reply to: #4916495

User image

Clarkey: only 18 miles. But when I finished I was able to wring sweat out of my wicking shirt... Also, I always put the scale in the same spot and the first weight was behind my wife in a different spot.. *shrug* I dunno... Honestly my weight is secondary. Making my fitness goals is my litmus test.
    2014-07-29 7:00 PM
    in reply to: #5031804

User image

WFF - it was mostly in jest! I too sweat a TON!

Brisk walk for me at lunch - nothing tonight as I have the kiddos - maybe on the trainer later
    2014-07-30 4:40 PM

User image

Champion
    Bronze member

Hey all. Send some good race ju-ju for me this Sunday. I am not where I wanted to be training-wise for this race but I have too much invested to bail. Egads!

2014-07-31 6:06 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ
    Originally posted by ceilidh

Hey all. Send some good race ju-ju for me this Sunday. I am not where I wanted to be training-wise for this race but I have too much invested to bail. Egads!

Best wishes on Sunday's race. You'll do great. Just remember why you're out there and have fun! You've come a long way and Sunday is a milestone day! You've got this!

2014-07-31 8:15 AM

User image

Originally posted by ceilidh

Three words:

You. Got. This.
    2014-07-31 9:13 PM
    in reply to: #5032330

User image

Good luck Robin!
    2014-07-31 9:26 PM

User image

Good luck Robin, I'll be racing this weekend as well. I feel good, I really feel like if I just have a decent swim i'm going to do really well on the bike and run.

Goal #1- Set PR in all 3 ( I really believe this is possible)

Goal #2- Have fun and don't sweat the small stuff
    2014-08-03 8:26 AM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Sunday Update:

I didn't weigh this morning... I couldn't handle more disappointment this morning... The explanation is coming.

Overall, a normal week for me. Covered most of my planned training (recovery week). Not going to do the daily report thing again... that sucked

Swim: Kind of a blah, average week. But I got my distance in (according to my plan) and then some. Monday was supposed to be 950yds, so I did I nice round 1000. Friday was supposed to be 1150yd, and I ended up with 1250. I was planning on a 2000 day on Friday (forgot it was recovery week), I ended up sharing a lane for the first 450, then jumped to a lane that opened up. Around 800 or so I found myself at a much higher pace than I usually use, and I couldn't pedal back... I really burned out at 1250 instead of giving up.

Bike: My son getting home late from a Youth Group outing on Thurs blew that ride out of the water so... Instead of 11.2mi on Saturday, I took the time and put down 20.6. I'm going to call that a week because my total was only supposed to be 20.1... lol! I did however make a big error on route choice. I've ridden the section of highway I returned on many times... at 4:00AM! Riding that way around 9:00 was an extremely uncomfortable situation. I ended up skirting through subdivisions and that lowered my speed, but oh well!

Run: I'm... you know, I just dont know how to describe how I'm feeling about the run right now... I started the "5k, what now?" thread to keep this one from being cluttered. I got solid advice, which was echoed not only from another site, but also the lead trainer at the Y I go to. My problem is that I may have pushed it too far... Firstly, tuesday somehow got messed up, so I shifted my run one day over for the week, no biggie. I went out Wednesday with invervals on the mind and did 10 sets of jog slow (read: fat boy shuffle ) for 90 sec, jog a bit faster for 60 sec. It worked out pretty well. After the "5k" thread discussion, and since I really hadn't pushed on Wed, I went out Fri, warmed up, ran 3 sets of .2mi walk/run. I pushed it. I ended up with a bit of pain in both tibialis anterior muscles (outside of shin bone), but it was a normal "worked muscle burn". FF to this morning, and my attempt at a long, slow run... after 20-30 yards I had to quit. Major pain up front, AND on both soleus muscles... AGAIN! I'm pretty sure I know what I did... When I pushed for speed during the intervals, I did not consider my stride... I was striking on my heel again and not mid-foot .

I guess the plan for this week is R&R on the run... tennis ball massage, ice and stretching. I also have some Robaxin left over from my back issues (BTW, I can feel my upper leg again... so there is some good news) as well as some pretty hefty Naproxen. Also, with the boss on vacation, I'm the sucker in charge, so 90% of my time will be spent off of my feet at work which is good too. I guess we'll see what next week brings!

4 weeks, 6 days until RiverBluff!

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-08-03 8:31 AM
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
    Views: 27054 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
    Views: 98357 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
    Views: 15817 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
    Views: 29058 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : August 26, 2011
    author : Nancy Clark
    comments : 1
    Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
    author : acbadger
    comments : 0
    Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
    date : March 21, 2007
    author : acbadger
    comments : 2
    Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
    author : Ontherun
    For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
    date : November 27, 2005
    author : Rich Strauss
    Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
    author : JeremyLikness
    comments : 9
    Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
    date : September 19, 2004
    author : Michael
    I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
    author : Ron
    What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?