General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-08-12 10:46 AM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Yardville, NJ
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!!
ToeFuzz - Welcome! Good luck on your tri this weekend!

2014-08-12 10:51 AM
in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

Yardville, NJ
Heard something this morning on a video and it reminded me of my race on Sunday. "Run! If you can't run, walk. If you can't walk, crawl. Just don't stop."

So after a rest/recovery day yesterday (which was better than I expected), I was back on the bike this morning for an easy 30 min. spin. Followed by some sets of callestenics. I'm 6 weeks out from the Princeton 70.3 (reminder: I'm the bike leg of a relay team). I'm also going to add an Olympic Aquabike in September. Might actuall do okay at that, since my swim is ok, and my bike isn't bad.
2014-08-13 7:03 AM
in reply to: Fechter99

User image

I have been pushing hard the past few weeks and my legs have felt dead so I decided to take it easy this week. Monday was a rest day (bored out of my mind) and yesterday was supposed to be an hour or two of easy mountain biking with my wife (it was our anniversary). The weather didn't cooperate so we ended up staying in. Let's just say that Netflix, wine, thai food, and cheese popcorn are not conducive to weight loss! I gained 3.2 pounds yesterday, which I find entertaining. I'm not concerned as I know it's water weight and will come right off again... I'm just amazed at how much you can gain/lose in a day or two. A few weekends ago I had a bottle or two of wine with my father and actually gained 5# +. At the very least it gives me something to tease him about... he's a bad influence, corrupting the youth of America!
2014-08-13 8:24 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Got out for a little Recovery/Feeler run this morning. Meant to go Tuesday evening, but I honestly couldn't get my butt outside... Including Warm up/Cool down I went 2.1 miles. Kept it nice and slow(ish), kept my foot strike off the heel and thankfully not feeling any unusual pain. I'm hoping I dodged a bullet with this one. LOL! I'll be a little more circumspect during my interval runs on Friday. I think I'd actually like to run during my next race... Might do a little bit better that way!
2014-08-13 9:11 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
WFF well just becareful. nothing slows you down more than injury.

My PSA for the day. If your tire will not inflate it is not always because the tube is pinched. I kept trying to pump up my trainer only wheel which I got back from my parents house. It just would not inflate. It sounded like it would a little but get stuck. Well I tried a new tire after spending 10 hours on this thing which I should been using to train with. I then tried my co2 bike pump. Bam instantly inflated. I wasted so much time trying to inflate my tire when I think the pump just went bad. frustrated but at least I can get back to work.

I feel I am behind the 8 ball right now when it comes to fall marathon but I have 2 months to go so as long as I train hard and melt away the pounds I will be fine. No sense not too go for it because I have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Even if I do not make it maybe its what I need to make next year a solid year.
2014-08-13 9:20 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Chirunner - I never would have thought to look at the pump. They are such a simple device it seems like they can't screw up. Nice catch! Where is your long run at 2 months out?

2014-08-13 9:47 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I am at 8 right now which I aware is about 4 miles behind. I do know how to catch up and I have done marathon with PRs with long runs of 5 miles. It helped I dropped 50 lbs in 4 months then.

That is why the bike trainer is huge because if you go by all the "rules". I am guessing 3 bike trainer miles = 1 running mile. Anything I can do in the pool and bike over the running will not only help with the weight but it will help my cardio system catch up. In my experience when you are doing marathon better for your legs to hurt then your HR too high because your cardio fitness is not where it should be.

2014-08-13 12:55 PM
in reply to: #4916495

User image

Chi - a marathon with a long run of 5? Wow! I signed up for a fall marathon but decided to switch to the half b/c if injuries. I am feeling better, except for the PF in both feet. My long run last weekend was 8.something. You are making me rethink this. My wife won't be pleased
2014-08-13 1:40 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by Toefuzz

Chi - a marathon with a long run of 5? Wow! I signed up for a fall marathon but decided to switch to the half b/c if injuries. I am feeling better, except for the PF in both feet. My long run last weekend was 8.something. You are making me rethink this. My wife won't be pleased

Well IF you can bike you can train for a marathon. my 5 miles was kinda misleading. It might been 5 miles in the evening. 3 at lunch with 1.5 miles of swimming. That would give you about 14 running equivalent miles of running for the day. Do that 4 to 5 times a week and you basically doing more miles than a marathon training plans have you do during "hell" week. It all adds up.

If your first not sure I would recommend that approach. last time I did it it really hurt. Then again I was 295 lbs then too.
2014-08-17 8:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Okay people... 8/15-8/17 race reports, please! 3 weeks until Riverbluff and I'm starting to get nervous again!

Sunday Report:
This week was full of ups and downs. To start off I'm still stuck in my 250-255 plateau with the scale telling me I'm at 253 as it stuck it's tongue out at me. I had a last minute ASE test I had to take and between that and getting sick this week, my training suffered a touch. I did pass the test though. Needed 34 out of 55 to pass T2 (Diesel Engines), and I squeaked by with 38, so that's good news . Of course, I have another test (A4 - Automotive Brakes) on thurs, but this one is a re-cert and should require minimal studying.

Swim: A good solid, if a little light, week. Swam 1000yds both days in about 25 mins. On Friday I jumped in the pool and ripped off 450yds in about 11 mins with no warm-up. Cranking out a sub-2:30/100 had me in a pretty darn good mood. Even though bilateral breathing has been put on hold until after the season, I have managed to work up to breathing every 4th stroke, and it feels (even tho i'm probably not ) like I'm flying through the water. I can't hold it for long yet, but it's there.

Bike: Thurs group ride had me a little giddy this week. only 3 of us showed up, and since the other 2 are cyclists, they're both quite a bit stronger in the saddle than I am. I pushed it, chasing the rabbit at it were, and they were kind enough to pull up twice to let me catch them up even though as ride leader, I told them not to worry about it. We did our normal 14.1 mi loop in 46:06, making an 18.35mph avg!!! For my 16.6 avg self, that was a serious rush... and a lot of work. Funny thing, I made the initial pull to start (yes, there was drafting, but I stick to the side because 1) USAT, and 2) I'm not comfortable 8" from someone's rear tire) and was over 18 then. But, I also made a second pull later on, so I was doing my part. Not too shabby for my heavy butt on a 27lb walmart bike on 700c/32 tires! Got out a bit late Sat AM for my long ride. I really need to get my hands on an odometer for the bike. All I have at the moment is Strava on my phone. I ended up going 21.1 mi (at my usual 16.6 pace, lol!). I hoped I was closer to 30, but oh well, I'll take it!

Run: Why is it that the run is always what suffers? Probably because I hate running . I managed the light recovery/feeler run I alrady posted about on Tues. I'm hoping to make up my Sat run tonight after work.... But I know how that usually goes.

3 weeks to go, and I'm hoping to stay clean on training the next 2 weeks, and then taper the week of 8/31.

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-08-17 8:38 AM
2014-08-17 9:51 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Well 1 week after my last triathlon of the year I got a wetsuit. I wish I would have saw it before my race. Oh well. I got a 2XU R:3 XXXL If I get to my goal weight of 250 it might not fit since its from 265 to 296 but if I only lose a little bit of the weight it should fit plus it should go to 6'11" which means it might not be as tight in the shoulders which is also nice. Best news is I got the next model up from the basic model for less than I even found sleeveless wetsuits.

2014-08-18 8:21 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ
I'm at a weird part of my season. Last weekend was my last tri. My next scheduled race is the 70.3 relay. So I'm now concentrating on the bike. I'm considering doing an Oly Aquabike in Sept. Prior to the 70.3.

This past week...
Monday - recovery / rest
Tuesday - easy spin for 30 minutes. Then some calisthenics.
Wednesday - intervals on the trainer for 60 minutes
Thursday / Friday - off
Saturday - 3 hour ride. I actually went out and did 42+ miles on the 70.3 course. There are lots of hills and a few climbs. Should be great fun! Add in the crosswinds...
Sunday - missed a 30 minute easy spin, but got in about 3 hours of yard work, lawn, trees, etc. I realized yesterday my neighbors may not be as happy as I am with triathlon season, since yard work takes a back seat to training! At least my yard looks better than my next door neighbor's

On the weight loss front, I am less than thrilled. I've been hitting my calorie goals (in some cases well under), I've been exercising regularly and yet the scale is creeping up. I'm frustrated and not sure what to do.
2014-08-18 9:21 AM
in reply to: Fechter99

User image

My first triathlon is in the books!

I'm not sure how best to link the race report to this thread so for now I will just post a link until someone points out a better way:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

TL:DR - It was awesome and I did better than expected.
2014-08-18 1:15 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ

My first triathlon is in the books!

I'm not sure how best to link the race report to this thread so for now I will just post a link until someone points out a better way:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

TL:DR - It was awesome and I did better than expected.

Nice job! Now you're hooked!
2014-08-18 2:17 PM
in reply to: #4916495

User image

Awesome job Toefuzz!

WFF - run more 1-2 mile jogs per week! You will really build up quickly!

For me I had a GREAT workout weekend!
Unfortunately it was not tri based!
I have not been able to run or bike in a week (last Monday) because of a small surgical procedure! So I power lifted Fri Sat and Sun, each day followed with hardcore core and 20 min of HiiT on the elyptical! I feel great! Not sure it helped my stamina at all - but I feel like it's torching the fat!
2014-08-18 4:29 PM
in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

I hope I remember everyone...

chirunner: keeping my fingers crossed that it fits/works

Mike: You know you want to do that Oly....

Toefuzz: I agree, if you're already nitpicking your performance to get a second or two here and there, you are well and truly hooked!

Clarkey: I'm actually doing good (for me) on the run, just last week bit me in the butt... I did manage to get out for 1.7mi last night. Would have been longer, but I was crunched for time.

2014-08-18 6:23 PM

User image

Thanks guys. Actually I couldn't be happier with how it went, just wanted an accurate record of how I felt it went. Fortunately weight is the easiest thing to fix and will have the biggest impact on future racing. It's amazing how much more fun that was compared to a standard running race.

I just signed up for Trainer Road today. Unfortunately I have to wait for my speed/cadence sensor to arrive (Wednesday) and I'm not a patient person. Definitely looking forward to it though.

Mfechter67 - When is the relay race? Don't sweat the weight loss (easier to say, I know), just keep doing what you're supposed and you'll get past it. Unfortunately I don't have much advice for plateaus as staying the course has always worked for me eventually.

Clarkey77 - This question goes for everyone... what kind of weight lifting do you do? Hope you recover well.
2014-08-18 7:42 PM
in reply to: #5040788

User image

Toefuzz: Since the question is for everyone:

My weight training consisted of 2 nights a week on my old bowflex w/stretching, pushups and sit-ups. This is something I need to start again. I'd also like to add in a little yoga to help with my core and flexibility. As far as weight is concerned, I'm bouncing around 250-255. The plan is to be at or below 225 before my first race next season. That would be the Memphis in May Sprint, tentatively, as the location it was held at closed after the race this year.
2014-08-20 9:09 PM

User image

Clarkey77 - This question goes for everyone... what kind of weight lifting do you do? Hope you recover well.

So typically I am lighter weight higher rep of standard lifting routine - bench then some sort of chest press mixed w\ tris ; then back pull downs/rows and bicep stuff. then light shoulders.

This week I have been doing more compound power moves.
Heavy Bench
Heavy supported Rows
Clean and press
Shrugs
Squats - w\ weight (typically I do unweighted and squat jumps).

for Arms I am doing straight barbell curls along w\ some other big bicep moves.
Tris - close grip bench Dips and overhead extensions.

I didn't do any deadlifts as Im worried about pulling something (I have a bad back)....
But I may start doing some light deads.
I was VERY strong when I was younger and it feels like it is coming back quickly.

Today I did Arms and they were blasted.
Then I swam 450.
  • As far as the recovery - it is nothing big, just couldn't run or bike for a week. Didn't heal as planned so gave it a couple extra days. I can start back running anytime this weekend.
    Planning on heavy shoulders tomorrow and Hiit.

Then a long run and short run this weekend.
    2014-08-21 9:40 AM

User image

Champion
    Chicago, Illinois
    I am not sure if the new wetsuit is too fancy? I could barely get it on (I am 30 lbs over the max recommend limit, but last one I was 80). Worse part is I am 6'6.5" and says its for someone up to 6'11". I will admit I did some shoulder presses the day before but my arms where just killing me with arms to my side. Maybe I just need to get it on better i felt tons of rubber on the underarm room. I felt I just could not get the suit high enough on the body.

Its a cool suit but I need to drop some serious weight before I will even know how I will feel with it in the water.

2014-08-21 11:37 AM

User image

Champion
    Bronze member

Originally posted by chirunner134 I am not sure if the new wetsuit is too fancy? I could barely get it on (I am 30 lbs over the max recommend limit, but last one I was 80). Worse part is I am 6'6.5" and says its for someone up to 6'11". I will admit I did some shoulder presses the day before but my arms where just killing me with arms to my side. Maybe I just need to get it on better i felt tons of rubber on the underarm room. I felt I just could not get the suit high enough on the body. Its a cool suit but I need to drop some serious weight before I will even know how I will feel with it in the water.

did you use body glide?

2014-08-21 11:49 AM
    in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
    Chicago, Illinois
    No because its brand new and I did not want to damage it in case I needed to return it. I do not think Body glide would help if its not tall enough on the shoulders. Weird part is neckline comes to my neck line. Other thing thjat worries me is the sizing says it goes from 5'11 to 6'11. That is a huge range.
    2014-08-21 12:05 PM

User image

Champion
    Bronze member

Originally posted by chirunner134 No because its brand new and I did not want to damage it in case I needed to return it. I do not think Body glide would help if its not tall enough on the shoulders. Weird part is neckline comes to my neck line. Other thing thjat worries me is the sizing says it goes from 5'11 to 6'11. That is a huge range.

That is indeed, an huge range. If it is that uncomfortable, it probably isn't going to be an asset to you. I have seen tall, large men with wetsuits, but I have a sinking feeling (pun here) that they are not very cheap.

2014-08-21 12:10 PM

User image

Champion
    Chicago, Illinois
    I had one it worked great even when I was 80 lbs over the recommended size.

Tomorrow is the Chicago triathlon expo. I will see maybe I can get more info there on what will fit me. Not concerned about the weight because I really need to push to 250 but height I can't do anything about it.
    2014-08-21 12:12 PM

User image

Champion
    Bronze member

Originally posted by chirunner134 I had one it worked great even when I was 80 lbs over the recommended size. Tomorrow is the Chicago triathlon expo. I will see maybe I can get more info there on what will fit me. Not concerned about the weight because I really need to push to 250 but height I can't do anything about it.

Yep, it is a good idea to not try to change your height. I hear that is pretty painful.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
    Views: 26971 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
    Views: 98220 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
    Views: 15726 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
    Views: 28933 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : August 26, 2011
    author : Nancy Clark
    comments : 1
    Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
    author : acbadger
    comments : 0
    Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
    date : March 21, 2007
    author : acbadger
    comments : 2
    Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
    author : Ontherun
    For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
    date : November 27, 2005
    author : Rich Strauss
    Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
    author : JeremyLikness
    comments : 9
    Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
    date : September 19, 2004
    author : Michael
    I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
    author : Ron
    What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?