General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Whose still takin' multivitamins? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-21 2:56 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Whose still takin' multivitamins?
Saw a crawler on a news channel from some trusted medical organization whose name escapes me that multivitamins are worthless. Not really new information, but I must confess I still take my Great Value knock off of Centrum. Any one else peeing their money away?

2013-12-21 2:58 PM
in reply to: CBess

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Whose still takin' multivitamins?

I go on and off of them. I just bought some today since the adult gummy version was on sale. 

2013-12-21 3:12 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Originally posted by CBess

Saw a crawler on a news channel from some trusted medical organization whose name escapes me that multivitamins are worthless. Not really new information, but I must confess I still take my Great Value knock off of Centrum. Any one else peeing their money away?

For the $0.07 per day it costs, that's the only risk they present. I'm taking my chances that the research isn't yet proven they help and they certainly don't harm. I'm still in.
2013-12-21 3:24 PM

User image

For the .01 gram of unobtanium that I don't get from my diet I'll keep taking them.

My GP is happy with mine so I'll stick with it.

2013-12-21 8:18 PM

User image

Pro

Thing is- essential vitamins are just that.  nutrients that your body needs and the only way to get them is by eating them.

Problem with studies like the recent report, is that it's pretty uncontrolled as to what kind of vitamins the subjects were taking.  Anyone who took more than three supplement pills of any kind were categorized into taking multivitamins.  the other thing is, too much vitamin intake can also be deleterious and with certain nutrients, over supplementation is correlated with increased cancer rates.  So, those taking a simple multi, may be benefitting, and those taking 'too much' could be bringing down the average.

for instance:

If you're eating a handful of brazil nuts every day, and then taking a supplement that has 200mcg of selenium in it, you end up getting maybe 10 times the recommended dosage (70mcg/day)- and yes... that level IS correlated with increased cancer.  But- having low intake of selenium is also a problem.

the short answer is- it's personalized.  Know how you eat, know what you need, and supplement as necessary.  

Me- I get my vitamin D levels tested every year and I know I need to supplement them.

2013-12-21 9:35 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by CBess

The trusted medical organization is the American Medical Association...one of the 2 biggest & most well known journal publishers in the US (the other being New England Journal of Medicine).

A study was done that looked at meta dta pooled from 26 or 27 studies...after reviewing all of these studies, they found that only 2 or 3 met "inclusion" criteria ffor their review.

So really, it was just a literature review with 2 or 3 studies cutting the muster. They loooked only at very specific outcomes, which was decreased mortality from heart disease or stroke and none was found. Which is not surprising...one of those "common sense" out comes that a study is designed around looking for improvements.

it was in the EDITORIAL that accomanied the study (not the study itself) that said taking multivitamins was awaste of money. So one doctors opinion of the summation of the studies was that there is no point in continuing to investigate the impact of multivitamins since they were not seeing any improvement in these chronic medical conditions (more common sense sort of stuff).

There is no position paper about supplements...there are no idustry guidelines, it was the opinion of a few doctors associated with publication of a medical journal (which of course has sponsors in the form of pharm companies, etc,etc, etc).

Interviews with actual authors of the review study published in teh same journal reveals that at least one in particular...still takes his multi.

Joel Fuhrman is an MD who has strong opinions about multi vitamins vs. specific supplementation and is worth investigating his writings (eat to live is one)

2013-12-21 9:58 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Pro

you got it.  I work at a health resort that has a lot of top notch docs and nutritionists.  they all came to the same conclusion.

from what I've seen regarding news media reports regarding supplements.  Whatever statement is made in the title of the media article... is often the opposite of what the study results determined.

2013-12-21 11:19 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I take a one-a-day with iron. I've spent many years in developing countries and my day-to-day nutrition is not always ideal. I do my best but I don't always have a good source for whole grains (bread, brown rice, whole grain pasta, etc.) and meat, and it's really a pain to make raw veggies safe to eat. So a lot of my veggies probably have some of the vitamins cooked out of them. Deficiency in B vitamins and iron is pretty common in Vietnam, esp. among women, and, with the exception of breakfast, I eat a pretty local diet, so I take a vitamin as "insurance" against that. It's not for heart disease prevention but just general health/nutrition.
2013-12-22 5:45 AM
in reply to: #4916548

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
I'll continue to take my knock off centrum vitamin.
2013-12-22 7:18 AM
in reply to: Bevie

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Talked to an endocrinologist last month and she has done a lot of study about the food we are eating is causing auto-immune problems in people. She highly recommended a multi-vitamin, fish oil and a probiotic every day.

I'm sure that one CAN get it all with diet alone but I don't always eat like I should. I'm going to keep taking mine.

2013-12-22 9:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
I take My centrum 50 + everyday, all I know is I feel generally somewhat better when I take them vs when I don't, and its not a huge expense.
also I don't eat as well as I could.

Edited by RRH_88 2013-12-22 9:39 AM

2013-12-22 11:54 AM
in reply to: RRH_88

User image

I don't take them. I eat a variety of foods so there is no point.
2013-12-22 3:16 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
If my diet was better I wouldn't but since it isn't I still take one.
2013-12-23 6:47 AM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
I still take my Bugs Bunny EVERY DAMN DAY
2013-12-23 9:25 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

My cardiologist has had me take Centrum Silver since my heart surgery 13 years ago, mostly as a precautionary measure.  Centrum Silver specifically not only due to my age, but because I'm on Coumadin/Warfarin and Silver has the lowest percentage of vitamin K, which counters the anti-coagulation effect of the Coumadin.

Mark 

2013-12-23 9:30 AM
in reply to: spearit

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I generally take a men's multi each day.  I know that something over 98% of it ends up in the Charles River within a day, but I never know HOW MUCH of the last 2% my body might use (or not).  As there are no studies showing a deleterious effect of a low dose multi (to my knowledge, but I admittedly haven't done a careful search of the literature), seems like a good hedge as the cost of a multi a day doesn't impact my life.

Of interest (well, at least a timely coincidence - not sure anyone is really interested, after all), I JUST stopped taking a calcium/D supplement - which I've been doing for a couple years (@ 1/2 the recommended dose daily).  Having just seen some papers on a possible negative effect (not sure if it's causitive or correlative), and given that I have a pretty good dairy intake with yogurt and cottage cheese and the like, I just decided to cut it out until the verdict is more clear.  

Seems lots of folks believe different things in this space - all good - and this is my approach.

Oh, and the Better Half brought home a couple bottles of fish oil caps (hey, it was buy one get one, and she loves a bargain!), so I'll take those until they're gone (at 1/3 the dose, or 1 pill daily) - not even sure why.    So much for science!  

Matt

2013-12-23 9:38 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

New user
Key West
Yep, still taking them. I eat very well, BUT am a Vegetarian (veganish.) So, that, in additional to the extra nutrition our bodies need for working out, makes it a positive for me. I also do a sublingual B-12 and it seems to have helped my energy level some.
2013-12-23 9:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I used to take them until about ten years ago when my Dr. told me that they are pretty much useless.
2013-12-23 11:51 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I am 50 and have taken multivitamins for a few short stretches during my life, but have not for the last few years at all and don't plan on changing that unless under doctors orders. My labs were close to perfect last spring and I eat a pretty good and varied diet, so why try and fix what ain't broke!
2013-12-23 11:32 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

(@ 1/2 the recommended dose daily).  Having just seen some papers on a possible negative effect (not sure if it's causitive or correlative), and given that I have a pretty good dairy intake with yogurt and cottage cheese and the like, I just decided to cut it out until the verdict is more clear.  

Seems lots of folks believe different things in this space - all good - and this is my approach.

Oh, and the Better Half brought home a couple bottles of fish oil caps (hey, it was buy one get one, and she loves a bargain!), so I'll take those until they're gone (at 1/3 the dose, or 1 pill daily) - not even sure why.    So much for science!  

Matt

What possible negative have you found? I only take Vitamin D- but I haven't researched it so if there are as many negatives as positives, I'll stop....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Whose still takin' multivitamins? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Guys which multivitamin do you take and why?

Started by metcalf34
Views: 1620 Posts: 24

2012-01-29 11:28 PM SWIM2LIVE

Favorite Multivitamin

Started by ebesaw
Views: 1242 Posts: 21

2011-11-29 9:23 PM Blanda

Multivitamins study

Started by bel83
Views: 1093 Posts: 10

2010-11-09 5:25 PM bradword

Whose watching??

Started by iwantotri
Views: 1145 Posts: 17

2006-07-23 10:30 PM oceanannie

Multivitamin / Supplement

Started by FIN16
Views: 925 Posts: 11

2006-01-28 12:29 PM sty
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 29, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Can you recommend a vitamin and mineral complex to support a triathlete and our diets?

date : February 21, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on Ironman training and weightloss, multivitamins, whey protein, fish oil, nightime workouts and bedtime eating, long swim recovery nutrition, and the 3 top nutrition mistakes.