BT Development Mentor Program Archives » We Don't Just Tri - We Do (Season 2) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2014-01-30 9:48 AM
in reply to: MamacitaT

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Subject: RE: We Don't Just Tri - We Do (Season 2) - Closed
Originally posted by MamacitaT

Regarding weight lifting - I had asked that question in a regular forum thinking strength would help improve my biking.

I would come down on the side of including strength training. It is true that doing the basic event workouts is the most bang for the buck, however, strenght training provides benefits besides just increasing strength of the primary muscles.

ST works the supporting and stabilizing muscles and it also helps to stave off injury. As I am going through physical therapy now for my heel and feet issues, I am convinced that I could have avoided it had I kept up with my ST. I, like most triathletes, sacrificed ST when the schedule became too busy. I know that was a mistake. There are key muscles that need to be strong to support the primary muscle groups. You can't work those doing basic event workouts. My PT told me the other day that I was losing about 40% of potential power because of weaknesses in my leg, hip and core supporting and stabilizing muscles. When those start to weaken, all kinds of havoc can be created. My whole kinetic chain is a mess.

This year - I won't be eliminating my strength training. I was at the gym this morning at 0500 doing my strength training.

There are a lot of great books. I recommend Andrew Johnston's Holistic Strength Training for Triathletes.

Thom

2014-01-31 6:18 PM
in reply to: davert123

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Hey all,

I have a question for those of you in the DC / Baltimore area. I will be travelling to the Baltimore area for work starting around the 10th of Feb. Specifically, I will be in Owings Mill. I am looking for places to work out. Any input or suggestions you have are greatly appreciated.

Thom
2014-02-01 10:36 AM
in reply to: sundevil87

User image

Originally posted by sundevil87

Hey all,

I have a question for those of you in the DC / Baltimore area. I will be travelling to the Baltimore area for work starting around the 10th of Feb. Specifically, I will be in Owings Mill. I am looking for places to work out. Any input or suggestions you have are greatly appreciated.

Thom

I'm further down in a suburb of DC but let me ask my Tri friend at work who lives closer to this area to get her input and ideas. I'll see her Monday. There's folks at my work who live closer to that area
2014-02-01 10:43 AM

User image

I have had a light week. I've felt a bit off. Most likely because I added quite a bit over the last few weeks. I'm very hungry and tired. Tuesday night I did my run and then pool and it went fine but not as far as I would like.

Thursday right at the start of my run (during walking warm up) back of my knee (literally, not back of patella) all the sudden ached and hurt. Hurt while walking but not running. RICE, used my arnica cream, went and got a massage. Knot in calf and felt like a knot on one of the tendons/ligaments in back (not sure..I just got an anatomy book - been a long time since I looked at this stuff in detail!). Today I'm going to try biking indoors and then a swim later - but go at easy pace. I might try a bit of treadmill to see how it feels. I have a tendency to push so am really trying to listen to my body and adjust accordingly.

2014-02-01 6:29 PM
in reply to: 0

Thanks Thom, Dave and Tara

After your comments and reading the intro to the book you reccomended, Andrew Johnston's Holistic Strength Training for Triathlete, I am now convinced that ST is something to keep in my routine.

Edited by Lmoncada 2014-02-01 6:31 PM
2014-02-01 7:03 PM
in reply to: #4917318

having a bad day today. I fell over and bumped my knee about 3 weeks ago and the pain has never really gone away. its not aerious

2014-02-01 7:11 PM
in reply to: #4942725

.. but I feel it. decided to bite the bullet and have a few days off running at least. im guessing ive slightly torn a ligament in the inside of my left kneecap. going to rest it from running until tuesday and if it dont feel better ill be off to a physio. it has threw me more than I would have thought. my diet has gone to pot so I need to try and fetch myself back into focus to be honest I need to spend more time swimming and on my bike so this is a good chance. juat don't like being stopped. if I had done it through overuse I think the impact would have been less but getting scuppered by tripping over something at work isca stupid way to get so injured sorry for my venting. hope everyone else here are going well
2014-02-01 7:46 PM

User image

Originally posted by davert123

• . but I feel it. decided to bite the bullet and have a few days off running at least. im guessing ive slightly torn a ligament in the inside of my left kneecap. going to rest it from running until tuesday and if it dont feel better ill be off to a physio. it has threw me more than I would have thought. my diet has gone to pot so I need to try and fetch myself back into focus to be honest I need to spend more time swimming and on my bike so this is a good chance. juat don't like being stopped. if I had done it through overuse I think the impact would have been less but getting scuppered by tripping over something at work isca stupid way to get so injured sorry for my venting. hope everyone else here are going well

• I can relate. Similar things have happened. I think what you said about the bike and swimming is the key - you now have a bit more time to devote to that and they can have a focus for a while allowing you to heal. Keep up the work with the diet - now it's more important to try to get back into that as well - you'll feel better. However we all go through these things - and it's hard when it hits like this.

I hope it's not too serious and you are on your way running soon!
    2014-02-02 1:02 AM

User image

, California
    Originally posted by davert123.. but I feel it. decided to bite the bullet and have a few days off running at least. im guessing ive slightly torn a ligament in the inside of my left kneecap. going to rest it from running until tuesday and if it dont feel better ill be off to a physio. it has threw me more than I would have thought. my diet has gone to pot so I need to try and fetch myself back into focus to be honest I need to spend more time swimming and on my bike so this is a good chance. juat don't like being stopped. if I had done it through overuse I think the impact would have been less but getting scuppered by tripping over something at work isca stupid way to get so injured sorry for my venting. hope everyone else here are going well
    Good idea to focus on the bike and swim. When I sprained my ankle this fall, I was still able to bike and swim and keep working out building my aerobic fitness. Hopefully the swim and bike won't bother your knee. Hope you are feeling better and back on track soon.
    2014-02-02 8:13 AM

Hope you feel better soon, Dave. Sucks to be injured but you' ll be back at it in no time.
    2014-02-02 8:55 AM
    in reply to: MamacitaT

User image

Veteran
    Kennebunkport, Qatar
    Originally posted by MamacitaT

Originally posted by davert123.. but I feel it. decided to bite the bullet and have a few days off running at least. im guessing ive slightly torn a ligament in the inside of my left kneecap. going to rest it from running until tuesday and if it dont feel better ill be off to a physio. it has threw me more than I would have thought. my diet has gone to pot so I need to try and fetch myself back into focus to be honest I need to spend more time swimming and on my bike so this is a good chance. juat don't like being stopped. if I had done it through overuse I think the impact would have been less but getting scuppered by tripping over something at work isca stupid way to get so injured sorry for my venting. hope everyone else here are going well
    Good idea to focus on the bike and swim. When I sprained my ankle this fall, I was still able to bike and swim and keep working out building my aerobic fitness. Hopefully the swim and bike won't bother your knee. Hope you are feeling better and back on track soon.

The great thing about this sport is having the other 2 to fall back on when we have an affliction of some sort. Take it easy until you feel ready to run again and then ease back into it. I think we've all been hurt in some way that we think is completely ridiculous it goes with life I guess?
    Diet has definitely been my down fall for a few months now, I really lost all control, but getting back on track now.
    Hope everyone is having a good weekend, enjoying some warm weather in the Northeast for a few days I think it going to hit the mid 40's today, down right balmy!

2014-02-02 11:13 AM
    in reply to: Mountaindan

Simsbury, CT

Hello everyone - ready for the Superbowl?   I am.  Just finished a tough week of cycling.   Doubled my weekly time to almost 9hrs.   I now need a day or two of rest and then is time to incorporate some running.  Have fun everyone. 

a

2014-02-02 12:43 PM
    in reply to: Armandova

User image

, California

I am getting ready for the Superbowl. Should be a great game and I vacillate between what team I want to win. I am from Washington originally so want the Seahawks to win, yet love Peyton and would love to see him make a bit of history as well. Just looking forward to a good game, hang in with friends and fun commercials.

Going to get my run in between preparing all the yummy Superbowl food. 

Have a great day!

2014-02-02 3:06 PM

User image

Veteran
    Kennebunkport, Qatar
    Good job Armondo, I'm trying to incorporate some running myself now, foot hurt like hell today after the run? Need some time to get tot he PT.
    Ready for the SB I think, since my Niners aren't there this year I won't be as interested and If Seattle starts winning I will probably have to turn it off!
    Trying to pick up the pace of my training this coming week, but I will be working nights this week so it's going to be rough!

Have a good week everyone!
    2014-02-03 9:15 PM
    in reply to: sundevil87

User image

Hey all,

Thom

There's a Y nearby (Druid Hill YMCA) that participates in the AWAY program in case you're a Y member. Also there's a Sport & Health club in Gaithersburg. They have a pool in case you need one and I believe they do drop-in fees for non-members (and you can download a free one time pass on their site). Otherwise, I'm a bit removed from the metro area. Hopefully someone else has better suggestions.
    2014-02-04 11:08 AM
    in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Columbia, Missouri

Ice and snow have not been friendly this weekend and week. Had to alter my training schedules since we had an ice storm on Friday and the University closed today. So looks like I'm going to be catching up on my body weight workouts!

Good news though, I've already lost 5 lbs and can definitely feel the difference while I run. On Sunday I was able to run 2mi faster than anytime post high school. 

Hope everyone is staying warm!

2014-02-04 7:12 PM
    in reply to: DaBen

User image

Veteran
    Kennebunkport, Qatar
    Originally posted by DaBen

Ice and snow have not been friendly this weekend and week. Had to alter my training schedules since we had an ice storm on Friday and the University closed today. So looks like I'm going to be catching up on my body weight workouts!

Good news though, I've already lost 5 lbs and can definitely feel the difference while I run. On Sunday I was able to run 2mi faster than anytime post high school. 

And now that storm is headed our way, they're calling for 10 - 14" here tonight and tomorrow. I am hoping to get a run in after work in the morning, working the night shift this week ugh, but it may turn into snowshoeing if it's too bad?
    My daughter was enjoying here day off from school also, mean while my other daughter in Montana was having much worse weather and still had class.
    Congrats on the weight loss! I am getting back into that mode myself now since I have started running again.
    I actually had a pretty good trainer ride today considering I had been up for 24+ hours, once I got going I felt pretty good.

I hope all of you in the warmer areas are enjoying your weather, get out there for the rest of us!

2014-02-04 9:02 PM

Simsbury, CT
    Nice woke losing weight Derek!
    2014-02-04 9:06 PM

Simsbury, CT
    Schools closed for tomorrow already. Was hoping to get out and do some running but I guess I will jump on the bike for an easy spin. Legs are still a bit sore. If I did not have to work tomorrow, I would do as Dan suggests and go for some snowshoeing!
    2014-02-04 9:29 PM
    in reply to: WayWay

User image

Veteran
    Monument, Colorado
    Originally posted by WayWay

Hey all,

Thom

There's a Y nearby (Druid Hill YMCA) that participates in the AWAY program in case you're a Y member. Also there's a Sport & Health club in Gaithersburg. They have a pool in case you need one and I believe they do drop-in fees for non-members (and you can download a free one time pass on their site). Otherwise, I'm a bit removed from the metro area. Hopefully someone else has better suggestions.

Thanks. I'm not a member of the Y - we used to be but switched to LifeTime Fitness. There is a LTF nearby but they are an Onyx club and my membership is no good there since we are Gold members. Even though our club is a Platinum club they only charge us gold pricing. We have a family membership. To be able to use the club in Columbia I would have to upgrade the whole family to Onyx, even though they would never use it. Doesn't make sense. And from what I can tell their club doesn't offer much more than ours does. I guess it has to with the cost of living in the area as it relates to prices they can charge.

I have been searching around. I'm starting to narrow in on some solutions. I will look at the club you suggest.
    2014-02-04 9:39 PM

User image

Veteran
    Monument, Colorado
    Originally posted by DaBen

I've already lost 5 lbs and can definitely feel the difference while I run. On Sunday I was able to run 2mi faster than anytime post high school. 

Super, Derek. Keep up the great work. It is amazing how much better we are able to perform as the weight comes off. Which then encourages us to strive for more improvement.

I know that I can definitely tell - in terms of performance - when I've gained weight. I will have to lose about 10 pounds now before I begin to race since I picked up a little more than I would have liked over the fall and winter.

2014-02-05 4:29 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England
    Morning all,

I am training to a custom BT plan and my long runs will go to 12 miles while my race is only 6 miles but it has been noted that my longest bike ride will only be 28 miles but my race is 28 miles is this normal or do I also need to go double the distance on the bike.

While I am here what does everybody do for recovery, even if it's preventative.

For me I of jump in a cold water bath as soon as I get in from my workouts and if it's been over an hour and mid level then I will have a protein shake as well. If I know that I am doing a high rate session then I will often take a high-five gel an hour before. I am going to start looking into having massages.
    2014-02-05 9:39 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by WayWay

Hey all,

Thom

Thanks. I'm not a member of the Y - we used to be but switched to LifeTime Fitness. There is a LTF nearby but they are an Onyx club and my membership is no good there since we are Gold members. Even though our club is a Platinum club they only charge us gold pricing. We have a family membership. To be able to use the club in Columbia I would have to upgrade the whole family to Onyx, even though they would never use it. Doesn't make sense. And from what I can tell their club doesn't offer much more than ours does. I guess it has to with the cost of living in the area as it relates to prices they can charge.

I have been searching around. I'm starting to narrow in on some solutions. I will look at the club you suggest.

I did have a chance to ask friends and they either have something by their house (like Planet Fitness) or they live in Columbia and go to the Columbia Association which is this really cool membership to all the athletic clubs in that area. I wish I was eligible but I'm not.

I live and work out in Greenbelt - not sure where exactly you are staying (I don't know Owings Mills real well) but it's just down the 295 (where the 295 meets the Beltway/95/495) and they have the pool, some stationary bikes, rowing machines, ellipticals, treadmills, and a weight room. Some of the equipment is not new - but it's not usually super busy (except 5-6:30 or so) and I think it's about $5.50 or so per visit..and you can do anything you like. Again little old fashioned but easy to get too and not pricey at all. It's right next to a lake and that's about a 1.3 mile loop which is what I run. Here is the link: http://md-greenbelt.civicplus.com/Facilities/Facility/Details/Green...

Might be a drive...but it is a nice little area. They have a locker room and showers as well.

I'm surprised about Lifetime! I've been there once for the Commitment Day run and it was gorgeous...so shocked you cannot go there with your other membership!

Edited by AlexJouJou 2014-02-05 9:42 PM
    2014-02-06 9:08 PM
    in reply to: AlexJouJou

Simsbury, CT
    Well, I had a great week last week. This one not so much. I think the bike workouts took a bit more than I had. Add to that work = no workout since Sunday. I am going to try to get up and bike tomorrow again. The snow we got yesterday put a damper on getting out for a run. Maybe I will do an indoor brick on Saturday. Rambling thoughts - I must be tired.
    2014-02-06 9:16 PM

User image

Veteran
    Kennebunkport, Qatar
    It happens Armondo, sometime the best workout is a rest day or more. Our body knows when to shut us down to rejuvenate. You'll probably find when you workout how much better and stronger you feel after your down time.

I on the other hand, since I have not been pushing very hard at all, went out yesterday for a short run in a nice snow storm. nice light snow, but snowing heavily made for a good run. Luckily for me these Mainers all hibernate when it snows and there were very few cars out on the roads that I run on, which is always a benefit when you live in rural areas that have no where to run except on the road..
    Had to take today off due to an appointment, but down to the cave after work in the morning to get in a bike ride!

I hope everyone is doing well!

(IMG-20131125-00012.jpg)

Attachments
    ----------------
    IMG-20131125-00012.jpg (1088KB - 8 downloads)
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » We Don't Just Tri - We Do (Season 2) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 15

RELATED POSTS

Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Fechter99
    Views: 54408 Posts: 1444

2015-08-04 12:43 AM Go4gidget

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
    Views: 36897 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : April 28, 2011
    author : fivecents
    comments : 5
    What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : April 22, 2009
    author : Nancy Clark
    comments : 0
    Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.
    date : December 15, 2008
    author : FitWerx
    I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : October 11, 2007
    author : Ron
    Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.
    date : August 17, 2007
    author : scoli121
    comments : 6
    I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : September 3, 2006
    author : acbadger
    The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.
    date : October 12, 2004
    author : robinskj
    A busy, fat lady gets hooked on Tri's. You can too!

date : September 2, 2004
    author : Michael
    If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.