Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 34

2013-12-23 4:29 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Team Trisuppo - OPEN
GROUP FOCUS: Triathlon's of all distance coupled with a love of running

NAME: Trisuppo / Mitch

STORY: Like everyone else - I am busy. Between a wife, three girls (ages 15, 11 & 3), a house, a job and a dog I feeling like I'm running on fumes a lot. Endurance sports have become my outlet that is supposed to help me maintain my sanity.

I got into triathlons about 6 years ago after getting 20+ pounds overweight and realizing that there were triathlons that weren't Ironman distance. My first love before triathlons was cycling - and I absolutely hated running. I have since become an avid runner and feed off of the runner's high. My wife can tell when I haven't run for a few days. I'm trying to embrace the swim and that is one of my challenges.

With the little one at home, the last few years have been tough from a training and racing perspective. I was mentored by Ernesto the last few seasons and he taught me to listen to my body and train smarter. In 2012, I PR'd an early season HM, was on my way to PRing a 2nd HM in June and ended up with a stress fracture. i spent the summer doing some swimming and biking and started to rehab my leg in August. i ran a sprint tri in Sept, my first tri since 2009. I really live by the phrases "run a lot, mostly easy and sometimes hard" and "your easy is never easy enough and your hard is never hard enough". That shift in philosophy allowed me to increase my volume and increase my overall fitness. I 2013 life got in the way of my triathlon plans but I managed to run more than I ever have a PR'd my end of season HM by 5 minutes. My intent this year is to focus on all three disciplines in an equitable fashion and complete a HIM.

Additionally I am ex-Military for those who may enjoy that affiliation.

FAMILY STATUS: See above. My wife doesn't quite get my passion and thinks I go overboard at times. As long as my training doesn't impact the family too much she is fine. That requires me to get creative at times and to work out mostly in the mornings. I have a treadmill and bike trainer set up in the basement which is imperative due to living in Michigan. With the advent of Spring I am getting outside for runs more often and looking forward to cycling outside on the weekends.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am working on consistency in all three disciplines. I will be training with power on the bike for the first time and plan on following the BarryP method of run training. Winter maintenance and improvement is the goal currently. This, in my mind, is achieved through consistency.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Martian Half Marathon (Mid April), Battle of Waterloo Triathlon (August) Tawas HIM (early Sept), Detroit HM (Oct), Turkey Trot 10k (Thanksgiving). Possibility of another HM or Triathlon in June depending on training.

WEIGHTLOSS: In early 2007 I weighed in around 183 (5'9"). I got down to 151 for my end of season HM and it was definitely a contributor to my performance. I would like to get to the high 140's and see how that feels.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I've grown as an athlete over the last few seasons. I've overcome injury, my stubborn nature, and life's curve balls. What I've gained is an appreciation for our differences and the ability to listen and find an optimal path forward. I have an insatiable appetite for knowledge and am ready to share a lot of what I've learned with others. There are a group of us who have trained together via Ernesto's mentor group the last few years. Some of them plan to join this team and will supplement my knowledge. Some have completed Ironman races. Some are accomplished runners. What we have together is perseverance and a consistent approach to getting faster and stronger.

2014 GOALS: (1) Achieve consistency in training for Swim, Bike and Run; (2) Swim 3 times per week; (3) run healthy; (4) Bike four times per week; (5)Complete my first HIM;

Edited by trisuppo 2014-01-07 10:28 AM

2014-01-05 5:11 PM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Team Trisuppo
HI Mitch, I saw it finally came up, I would like in if you have space.

Name: Jim

Story: I am 47 and work as an attorney in rural Northern MI
I ran for fun when I was young but never raced. Then I got married, we had kids, I became distracted, and took a 15 year hiatus from all exercise. When I turned 40 I had an ugly physical. I was 30 lbs overweight. Everything that was supposed to be low was high and everything that was supposed to be high was low. I got mad at myself for letting this happen and decided to lose weight. I started with a diet revamp. I knew that with active kids and a busy life that a special diet would fail plus I really like food. So, I created the "Don't Eat Like a Pig" basically I ate the same foods, just not as much of it, ie: instead of eating half of a pizza I ate 1 slice and a salad. Then started walking, just a mile at first then 2. I lost 35 lbs doing this.
Then I got bored and started looking for something more. I tried softball, but found that the local leagues just used it as a reason to drink, and oh by the way hit a ball. There is a triathlon in our town and in 2009 we were driving through as the athletes were going to T1. I looked and my wife and said, next year I am doing that. She said ok. Then I asked her if she would teach me how to swim, she agreed to that too.
That night I looked up the distances, and the next day decided to run 3 miles. I ran/walked it, and just kept building, then I added biking and then the swim. I did my first tri in September 20010 and was hooked.

Family: Married for 20 years. We have 4 children all active in sports, 3 have tried triathlon and 1 competes with me. We have 3 girls aged 18, 17, 15 and a 13 year old son. The oldest is a freshman in college.

Training: I normally alternate day between run and bike at lunch, as my base and do this year round. This fall things blew apart between work, and family obligations. I did not put in my normal miles and am paying for it. I will resume strength training and add a second shorter workout in the evening to build up strength over the winter. I will do speed work on Saturday and a longer ride and Sunday I rest. My weakness is swimming. I don't have a pool available on a regular basis and it is too cold to swim in Lake Huron until May or June, depending on the Spring.

Races: Last year I did several 5 K's, a 10K, a 15 mile race, a marathon, an Olympic tri and an HIM.
This year will probably be the same with my first race being in 2 weeks which will be a 15 mile night time trail race. I would like to do an IM, the question is going to be when and where.

Why I make a good mentee: I love this sport and want to learn more, so I am always willing to listen and learn. I have been very active in past groups and want to share with other people interested in the sport. I have found that I do better, when I am involved with an active group.
2014-01-06 4:59 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
I'm in. Will post my bio later.
2014-01-07 12:40 PM
in reply to: JoePetto

User image

Expert
Joe- How's the Achilles?
2014-01-07 5:24 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala
Subject: RE: Team Trisuppo - OPEN

Hola Mitch and friends and thanks Mitch for creating the group, I was worried that we were not going to have a place to hang-out this season!

NAME: username: sirgab, First name: Gabriel

STORY: I'm from Guatemala.  After living for over 13 years abroad (2 in Chicago getting my MBA and the rest in SF/Bay Area and Pasadena, CA, I'm now back in Guatemala City.  After being totally sedentary and somewhat overweight for several years I did my first sprint triathlon 3 years ago and became hooked immediately. Since then I have been able to complete several HM's, 2 Marathons (Chicago and Antwerp) several 1/2 Ironmans and 2 full Ironmans (Texas 2012 and Cozumel 2013). So my plan is to keep active with triathlons and running races and to seek to improve my time/endurance at the different distances, while staying healthy and injury free.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married to a lovely Guatemalan woman (Estefania) and the proud father of two beautiful girls (Isabel 8, Ana Sofia 6) and a baby boy (Gabe Jr 16 months)

CURRENT TRAINING: Just finished Ironman Cozumel a month ago (11:36) and was able to improve my time from my 1st IM in Texas by a little over an hour.  So I was happy with my time, but unfortunately I developed an ITB injury on my right knee during the IM run and its still bugging me and cannot run yet.  Now my main goals for 2014 are to complete my 3rd Ironman (the 1st Iron distance race from the Challenge Series in Atlantic City on June 29), along with a couple of HM, HIM and the New York City Marathon in November.  

I need to figure out how to get overcome my ITB injury in order to get on with my IM training which I should be starting now.

KEY 2013 Races: Antwerp Marathon (3:45, new PR), Vineman 70.3 triathlon (5:28), Guatemala City 1/2 Marathon (1:40), Ironmaya 70.3 tri (5:21 new PR), Ironman Cozumel (11:36 new PR)

KEY 2014 RACES: Iron Distance Challenge Series in Atlantic City (June 29), Guatemala City HM, Ironmaya HIM, New York City Marathon (Nov 2)

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 5'10, and currently 151 lbs which is as low as I have been since High School. Ideal racing weight, but now looking to add a little more weight/muscle mass.  I've lost 25 lbs since I started training 3 years ago.

WHY I'M A GOOD MENTEE: I'm passionate about triathlons, running and racing and all of the benefits that come with a balanced lifestyle.  I also enjoy all of the great people I have met throughout the sport and through BT.  Realizing that one is always learning, I'm looking to improve the structure/effectiveness of my trainings, as well as sharing good stories, recommendations and support messages with other on this group.

Cheers,

Gabriel

2014-01-09 2:34 PM
in reply to: sirgab

User image

Master
Guys - welcome aboard. Please reach out to any ofthe past groups you have contact with and ask them to join. Would love to have a network of supporters for the winter training season.

2014-01-09 7:51 PM

User image

Expert
NAME: username: joepetto

STORY: Born and bred in Philadelphia and therefore a miserable sports fan. Lawyer by trade who reached 40 decided and decided that stress management through endurance sports was better than the alternatives. Never much of an athlete as a kid, but I started with the saddle and the reached for running shoes - problem was I couldn't swim. Wife encouraged me and at age 41 I learned to swim. This will be year 5 in endurance sports. Year one was remarkable in that I had meniscus surgery and still completed a number of races. Year 2 I completed my first HIM and Marathons. Year 3 I Pr'd every race, took 30' off my HIM PR and came with 3' of a BQ. Year 4 was marked with problems - both personal and sports related. Spent the last 6 months rehabbing a bum heel.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married for 16+ years and the proud father of two beautiful girls (13 & 9).

CURRENT TRAINING: Getting back into running - 20M so far in week one. Bike is OK, and spent time during the injury working on my swim form.

KEY 2013 Races: Rev 3 Williamsburg

KEY 2014 RACES: I'm a man without a plan. HELP!

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 5'9, and currently 157 lbs - body fat at 9.3%. Lean, but muscular may drop a couple of pounds during the season.

WHY I'M A GOOD MENTEE: Because I give a sh*t!
2014-01-09 7:59 PM

User image

Expert
Hey Fellas:

I'm back!. Been running since X-mas consistently and am up to 20 mpw and things feel good. Spent my extra long offseason drinking beer (and lots of other things), spent time with a swim coach and not much else. The return to running is slow and depressing. The legs aren't there, but I know they will return.

I have no races planned as of yet, but I'm starting to formulate some plans. General picture looks like HM and shorter distance races in the Winter and Early Spring, Oly and Sprint in the Late Spring/Early Summer and a push for a BQ in the Fall with a running coach in two. I've aged up to 45-49 so I'm excited about the new AG. I said last year that an IM was not likely in my future, but I'm think maybe in 2015 if I can stay healthy.

@Gabe: AC Roth should be really interesting in Yr-1. Spend lots of time down there and know the area quite well. The area is beyond flat. Will be humid though. Would love to come down and watch but have a family obligation that weekend.

@Jim: Go Green. Awesome game - Pasadena must have been awesome.

@Mitch: Have that power meter setup and calibrated?
2014-01-09 9:02 PM

User image

Expert
Joe- I'm glad to hear you are on your way back. The trip and game were great. It was a great week to be a Spartan. I went in 88 also and the difference was unbelievable. Everywhere you went there were state fans and the stadium was easily 60% MSU. It sounded like a home game, even when State was losing. It was fun to spend so much time with my daughter. I've had a limited amount of time with her since she went to college and 4 days in a car gave us a lot of catch up time.
As for training, all was derailed over the holidays. I am considering bailing on my trail race next week. I'm not sure I have the miles in for 15. Its going to be a game day decision.
2014-01-12 8:40 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I'm in, if you'll have me. Bio later. I think I may try to be a triathlete again this season.

Jackie
2014-01-13 9:52 AM
in reply to: jackiep

User image

Master
Jackie - Glad to have you! We will have a fun season. I just signed up for a Sheila Taormina hosted swim clinic on March 2nd. I bought her book last year and I'm looking forward to hearing and learning face to face with the author. Hope to kick start my swim curve! I syill haven't pieced together my calendar for the year but would love to pursue that elusive HIM!

2014-01-14 12:25 PM

User image

Expert
I'm slowly approaching that elusive double digit run mark and ran an easy 8 miler on Sunday. Workouts are starting to increase in intensity and duration and have been letting my swimming slip as this winter has been just so awful. Bottom line is I need to register for a race, but I'm reluctant to do so since I know that I will be slower than I'd like until I can get enough training under my built. Decisions, decisions ...

On a separate note, I'm heading to Vail over Presidents weekend without my wife/daughters, but with my parents, sister, brother in law, nieces, nephews and cousin. My girls don't like the cold so having grown up skiing with my family it makes things tough to get to the Mountains.

Jackie - good to hear from ya!
2014-01-15 11:02 AM

User image

Expert
There are way too many lurkers out there based on the number of views to this relatively short thread. Old friends are welcomed to join - no questions asked.
2014-01-15 12:57 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by JoePetto

There are way too many lurkers out there based on the number of views to this relatively short thread. Old friends are welcomed to join - no questions asked.

Agreed. While the core of us are "old friends" we welcome everyone to the party. To give folks background, the folks that have joined have been training together for a handful of seasons. We come from the East, the Midwest, the Southwest, and Central America. There are multiple Ironmen, BQers, HIM, marathoners, etc. Lots of experience from those who have been doing it for awhile. I look forward to meeting more new people this season.

2014-01-15 1:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'd like to join- I really need some motivation on my running.

NAME: Moonrocket/ Kate

STORY: I signed up for a triathlon as a New Year’s resolution a few years ago just to have a fitness goal and have been doing a few a year since. I’m not too serious- but enjoy having a goal that pushes me to keep fit. I really need to get more consistent on running- I’ve never been able to do this for a full season. I’d love to learn to love running- but it doesn’t seem to happen. I also prefer my mountain bike to a road bike and did my first Xterra last year- and will probably focus on those this year. My DH is very supportive- but also likes to race Xterras- which with a 4 yo makes scheduling challenging.
I also tend to be a total slacker on the swimming. I swam in college so it comes easy to me – I usually don’t start swimming til April or so and then swim 1 day/ wk in a pool and add a second day when OWS starts since I prefer that. I am usually in the first few out of the water in my AG so I don’t see a very big ROI on swimming a lot.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with a 4 yo daughter- who is now too tall for the jogging stroller- so we’ll see what happens this year.

CURRENT TRAINING: Very little- I hibernate in Nov/ Dec and start up again in Jan. Early season sees a lot of skiing rather than training too – but since my goal is to have fun and be active- that counts! I’d like to ramp my running up for a 5k at the end of Feb. Then a 10 in April or May as a prep for tris this summer.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Still trying to decide- really want to do Xterra Lory- but can’t convince myself that water temps in a mountain lake at the end of May correspond to my goal of having fun. I’ll try and do at least 3 races. I usually do a relay for a 70.3 with friends as well.

WEIGHTLOSS: I wouldn’t mind a few pounds into summer- but nothing major.

2014 GOALS: Keep active and increase my running.
2014-01-15 1:57 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Master
Originally posted by Moonrocket

I'd like to join- I really need some motivation on my running.

NAME: Moonrocket/ Kate

STORY: I signed up for a triathlon as a New Year’s resolution a few years ago just to have a fitness goal and have been doing a few a year since. I’m not too serious- but enjoy having a goal that pushes me to keep fit. I really need to get more consistent on running- I’ve never been able to do this for a full season. I’d love to learn to love running- but it doesn’t seem to happen. I also prefer my mountain bike to a road bike and did my first Xterra last year- and will probably focus on those this year. My DH is very supportive- but also likes to race Xterras- which with a 4 yo makes scheduling challenging.
I also tend to be a total slacker on the swimming. I swam in college so it comes easy to me – I usually don’t start swimming til April or so and then swim 1 day/ wk in a pool and add a second day when OWS starts since I prefer that. I am usually in the first few out of the water in my AG so I don’t see a very big ROI on swimming a lot.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with a 4 yo daughter- who is now too tall for the jogging stroller- so we’ll see what happens this year.

CURRENT TRAINING: Very little- I hibernate in Nov/ Dec and start up again in Jan. Early season sees a lot of skiing rather than training too – but since my goal is to have fun and be active- that counts! I’d like to ramp my running up for a 5k at the end of Feb. Then a 10 in April or May as a prep for tris this summer.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Still trying to decide- really want to do Xterra Lory- but can’t convince myself that water temps in a mountain lake at the end of May correspond to my goal of having fun. I’ll try and do at least 3 races. I usually do a relay for a 70.3 with friends as well.

WEIGHTLOSS: I wouldn’t mind a few pounds into summer- but nothing major.

2014 GOALS: Keep active and increase my running.

Kate - welcome aboard. I think there are many of us here that have experienced the ups and downs of running and will be able to offer lots of support, motivation and advice! I'm a swim salcker as well - but don't have a college foundation to build off of. That is my challenge.

2014-01-15 5:09 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

@ Joe, good to hear from you and glad to hear that you are back to running and building your volume up!  I will also appreciate your insights about the Atlantic City area for my upcoming challenge race.

@Mitch That swim clinic sounds really good and glad to hear that this might be the year where you pursue your HIM.  Nothing helps more for commitment than just signing up for one

@Jim, it was great to see your Pasadena pics and they brought back great memories.  We lived there for 4 years and my two daughters were born there

@Jackie, good to see you here and look forward to hearing whats new

@Kate, welcome to the group - Xterra tris sound cool and is something I want to try soon

On my side, I'm dealing with an ITB injury on my right knee and am going crazy without running.  I've done some stretching and then after about a week of rest each time I feel better and try to go out for a run, but the pain returns right after the first then minutes.  Fortunately I can still swim and bike, so I'm focusing on those two.  Any tips on dealing with ITB are welcome

2014-01-15 5:38 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Mitch, I would like to join, will post bio later, I'm at work now.
Mark
2014-01-15 6:56 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

Would like to join and reconnect with you guys.

NAME: Samy 

STORY: Born and raise in Venezuela, living in south Florida for the past 12+ years. Unlike most others, I began triathlons without a base in either swimming, running, or biking. My first year of triathlons was 2012, and had a blast with 4 sprints and 1 Oly, followed by my first HM in February 2013. Had big plans for this past year, but had a string of injuries, disease, lack of motivation that basically render the year moot after only 3 races (the last one in July).

So back to the drawing board (and basics). I fell like I am back to square one, and began training in earnest on January 1st. Its frustrating to realize how much I lost, but also looking forward to get back out there and back in the game. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two kids (3 and 5 yr olds). Same as Mitch, "my wife doesn't quite get my passion and thinks I go overboard at times. As long as my training doesn't impact the family too much she is fine. That requires me to get creative at times and to work out mostly in the early mornings. "  (amazing how this fits my situation to a T also). that means 5 am alarm almost every morning. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I did 2 runs, 2 swims, and 2 rides for the first year. this year I am planning to increase to 3 runs, 3 rides, and 2 swims. 2 of my rides I do in a cycling studio where you ride you won bike on a computrainer - you can choose whether to do intervals, skills, or real course- and a long ride on the road. My swims are supposed to take place in the afternoons 2/week. Last year I keep missing them, and I thinks it was a key reason for my lack of fitness and injuries. At least for me, the swimming is what holds all the rest of the training together. Currently back to building base (i.e. Mafetone), but plan to include some tempo runs as the year progresses.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: South Beach Triathlon (Classic) in April, Miami Man Speedway (Olympic) in May, Independence Day triathlon (Sprint) in July, Escape Miami (Olympic) in September (My A Race), and Marco Island Sprint in October, followed by a HM in either December or January.

WEIGHTLOSS: During my 6 month break I gains about 15 pounds (reaching 211 lbs @ 6'3"), which I am losing fast thanks to diet and training. I am already down to 204 and pplan to get back to 190-195. Last time I was there my wife forbid me to lose any more weight, so I will abide by her wishes.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: Extremely motivated, still a beginner in my mind, and going through the growing pain. I have a great Tri club that provides amazing support during races, but also a lot of knowledge that I can share in this forum. And by allowing me to join you almost assure yourself that you arenot going to be the slowest triathlete in the group :-)

2014 GOALS: (1) Avoid injuries (train hard and smart); (2) consistency (especially the swims); (3) Enjoy the process; (4) Sub 2 hr HM; (5) finish the year as excited about triathlons as I am now. And sign up for my first HIM in 2015.

2014-01-15 6:57 PM

User image

Expert
Kate: Welcome aboard. I've thought Xterra looked fun.

Gabe: Thanks. It was a great trip. I really enjoyed the time with my daughter. I have not seen her much since she went to college. Southern Cal is fun to visit. I don't think I could handle the traffic.

So what does everyone have going, training wise?
2014-01-15 7:10 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

Gabe, for your ITB I suggest HTFU!

PS. Gabriel and I went to college together and were housemates, so every time we see each other its back to sophomoric humor.

In reality, i have been dealing with some piriform and hip flexor injuries, and one thing that is working wonders is ART (Active Release Technique).If you are not familiar with its is a special soft tissue therapeutic technique used a lot by athletes (Google it).  Look for a chiro that specializes in ART and athletes, and he might be able to help. My guy also helped me with a shoulder injury I had early last season, and helped my wife with nasty back issues.

I will let you know what HIM I decide to do in 2015 and see if we can do it together...I am thinking Augusta

2014-01-15 7:52 PM
in reply to: #4917388

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks everyone for the welcome! I'm not officially training yet - but in the next 5 days I plan to get in 2-3 days of alpine skiing and 2-3 days of Nordic skiing. I will also try to make to the pool once and swim a little. I'm starting an easy training plan next week and will start some biking then.
2014-01-15 8:44 PM
in reply to: Samyg

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Samyg

Gabe, for your ITB I suggest HTFU!

PS. Gabriel and I went to college together and were housemates, so every time we see each other its back to sophomoric humor.

In reality, i have been dealing with some piriform and hip flexor injuries, and one thing that is working wonders is ART (Active Release Technique).If you are not familiar with its is a special soft tissue therapeutic technique used a lot by athletes (Google it).  Look for a chiro that specializes in ART and athletes, and he might be able to help. My guy also helped me with a shoulder injury I had early last season, and helped my wife with nasty back issues.

I will let you know what HIM I decide to do in 2015 and see if we can do it together...I am thinking Augusta

Ok Samy, explain ART from a patient perspective. I've read some things and am having trouble understanding how it is distinguished from massage or a deep tissue massage. I've been having a hip flexor issue from a strained muscle I got rock climbing this Summer. Its been super slow to heal, and I am getting tired of it.
2014-01-15 9:00 PM
in reply to: Samyg

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Hey Mark and Sammy, good to see you guys here again.  I also messaged Chris, Rachel and Ernesto and think they will also join us

Good one Sammy with the HTFU, sounds better than your ART massage recommendation :-)  I have actually tried some HTFU and ran 4 times pushing through the pain, but as expected, it would only get worst and I would be in pain for the rest of the day.

However, since I can bike I will be joining the Tour of Sufferlandria which starts on Jan 25 in case anyone here also wants to join, it should be fun  http://www.trainerroad.com/tour-of-sufferlandria   "The Tour of Sufferlandria is a very fun virtual cycling challenge. It was started by TheSufferFest.com and features nine days of intense workouts"

2014-01-15 9:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Hi guys! Would like to join and reconnect with you guys.

NAME: Chris

STORY: 50 year old college professor living in Minneapolis. Did first 10K in 2008 at 5’10”, 186 lbs, but did no races or even exercise much in 2009. In 2010, started barefoot/minimalist running and did two more 10K’s as well as a sprint triathlon on a “comfort bike”. In 2011, I joined this forum, did my first 2 half marathons, my first marathon (missing a BQ by 6 minutues) and two more triathlons (a sprint and an olympic), now with a real tri bike. Really hit stride in 2012, getting down to about 160 lbs, completing a sprint, an olympic and 1/2 iron distance triathlons, as well as two marathons, the second one a BQ by almost 7 minutes. Then a nagging calf injury, work, post-accomplishment letdown, and laziness set in. In 2013 I ran a pretty slow Boston Marathon (but fast enough to be past the explosions, 3:50), a bad 4th of July half marathon and a bad sprint triathlon. So trying to get back into the groove.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 26 years with 5 kids (girls 17, 15, 14, 10. Boy 12).

CURRENT TRAINING: Not much. Just had a minor foot operation (plantar’s wart removal) that will keep me from running much for a week or so. Been on the drainer about 2 days a week and trying to x-country ski one day a week.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Signed up for none. Will probably sign up for sprint triathlon in August and Twin Cities Marathon in October. May try to do olympic tri in June.

WEIGHTLOSS: Been doing alternate day fasting (actually 600 calories or so MWF) to get from New Year’s Day 183 back down to my racing weight 165 and having some success (been doing for two weeks).

2014 GOALS: (1) Get back in the groove for tri’s. (2) Get back in the groove for running. (3) Re BQ (sub 3:30 at Twin Cities Marathon.)

Edited by chris2533 2014-01-15 9:29 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team Trisuppo - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 34

RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 2, 2011
author : Comet
comments : 0
Beginner Triathlete is proud to announce and feature Team Red, White and Blue as our official charity!

date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : January 10, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
It's great to have goals, but by itself, a goal is not much. Have you ever shared with someone else that you would “try” to accomplish a goal?
date : December 12, 2004
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : September 5, 2004
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.