General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart rate monitor(s) for bike and run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-27 8:57 AM

User image

Subject: Heart rate monitor(s) for bike and run
Trying to sort through all the various systems, apps etc for heart rate monitors.

I currently use the Runtastic road bike app on my iPhone to track distance, time, pace. It has the functionality to track HR, and I know I can just get a chest strap to work with the iPhone on the bike, but I don't want to carry the phone when I run and would prefer not to wear a watch on my wrist while biking. Not too concerned about HR in the swim.

It looks like for the run I will have to go with a different system (Polar, Garmin etc). Is that the case? I would like to try and keep all my data in one system.

Is there a chest strap that works with a wrist-mounted HR monitor AND the iPhone 4?

Just about to kick off the new season and would like to track HR levels to bump up performance. Any recommendations for a system that works across all disciplines but that won't break the bank?

Thanks!

Philip

2013-12-27 2:28 PM
in reply to: #4918831

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Heart rate monitor(s) for bike and run
I'm in the same boat and I havn't found much that would work both ways... Also, with an iPhone 4 none of the bluetooth HRMs on the market will work with it because they need Bluetooth 4.0 and only the 4s and late work with that.

That said... I think that any of the HRM's that use ANT+ could be used with the iPhone 4... I use mapmyride and I'm thinking about getting the Wahoo run kit which had the HRM and the ANT+ key for the iPhone... Then you can also get a cadence device for the bike that works along side the HRM...

As far as using the phone for the bike and watch for the run... Maybe look into a Garmin... Those use ANT+ So you could use the HRM with the watch for the run and then use a Garmin ANT+ key for the phone on the he bike....

I hope that helps... Thats the best I can think of...
2014-02-01 6:52 AM
in reply to: #4919103

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Heart rate monitor(s) for bike and run
As you know I work for Polar. If your close to getting newer iPhones then go with a BT hr strap, and a good waterproof handlebar mount for the phone. Running with no phone , cycling with phone and wanting to download and having bike and run data download to one diary, your training watch determines a lot. I can describe Polar more off line if needed.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart rate monitor(s) for bike and run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running with Heart rate monitor problem.

Started by severz22
Views: 1087 Posts: 5

2010-12-30 3:36 PM chris@polar

Heart Rate Monitor vs Multi-Sport Monitor

Started by quinnpenny
Views: 860 Posts: 2

2010-04-03 8:15 PM tzcoaching

power & heart rate monitor for bike and run???

Started by stams
Views: 857 Posts: 5

2009-10-27 3:49 PM gsmacleod

GPS/Heart Rate Monitor for Swim, Bike & Run

Started by tsroberts
Views: 1669 Posts: 8

2008-12-31 12:32 AM ozzer

my first heart rate monitor

Started by Ontherun
Views: 1717 Posts: 6

2003-12-29 6:32 PM Ontherun
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2011
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
This panel discussion will cover many questions on heart rate monitors, powermeters and testing.

date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.
date : May 21, 2007
author : mikericci
Nutrition, hydration and pacing for the swim, bike and run of an olympic distance triathlon.

date : November 7, 2006
author : mikericci
Training our bodies to work efficiently in Zone 2 will help us keep our HR and pace even throughout an Ironman. This theory would hold true for the bike and run portion of an Ironman race.
date : November 27, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion including HIM's, heart-rate monitors, water running, TT's, high kicks, hi vs low volume training and nutrition for weight loss.

date : November 29, 2004
author : chrisandniki
So for the triathlete, where do you begin? Which model is best? Here are some features to consider before looking at specific models.
date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 2
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.