BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2014-05-15 11:39 PM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED
Dirk, praying for Darrell and his family right now.

Matt, congrats on that OLY brother.

Terry, 200K on the bike is impressive. I would love to come ride that with you.

Brenda, I'm not running bc I've just been too busy. Since I dont have any tri's on the horizon, I've just been trying to at least maintain some swim/bike fitness. I'm seriously considering volunteering at IM Florida this year so that I can get in for 2015... but for 2014, it's going to be tough for me to get anything going - I'll be out over half the summer on mission trips to Oklahoma, Wyoming, South Dakota, Nebraska, and Africa.

I see we've been archived...

2014-05-16 7:24 AM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Dirk, i am sending prayers .

I was wondering what was up with no messages thanks for the heads up Will!
2014-05-16 8:49 AM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Drik my condolences to Darrell and his family. He's certainly in my thoughts and prayers.

Warren good luck this weekend at the Bonefrog. I hope you are feeling up to it and feeling better. I hope you have a good time and a great race.

Will sounds like you are going to be very busy this summer. Have you considered just doing some short races? It requires less training time and you don't have to prep so much if you've been getting some training in. Maybe a couple of Oly's would be possible or a few sprints.

Looking like a great weekend here in NY. Two long bike rides planned one for Saturday and one for Sunday. I'm also hoping to get my first OWS in this weekend probably Sunday. Did another Vo2 and FTP test last night and it was what I expected, down a few watts on both but pretty happy nonetheless. It means I'm maintaining which is what I was hoping for. I don't expect any gains with the additional training hours and carrying more fatigue. At this point with a little more than 13 weeks to go I'm right on track for being able to conquer IMMT.
2014-05-16 7:51 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Ok Garmin 910 users, tell me why I should buy one! I showed Sara the sale price and said I could get it for $100 less than normal and an additional rebate and I got the "sure, what ever" response. Which in my house means hurry up and order before she changes her mind. But before I spend $300 I want to make sure it is worth it. I currently have a 305 and love it, but I bought it used 4 years a go and it's starting to show signs of the end. Any input? It's probably either this or a new pair of Oakley's and I have been wanting them for some time!
2014-05-17 6:11 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Matt, the 910 is the dream watch, at least for now.  With all of the swim metrics it makes it a much better watch than the 305.  I really liked my 305 for the years I used it but the 910 is the way to go.  The functionality is a little different from the 305 but it's not at all hard to get used too.  Really there isn't a lot more to say about this watch than you've probably already heard from myself, Brenda and Warren.  If you can swing it and Sara isn't throwing her hands up in the air hawty derision go ahead and grab one, you'll love it.

2014-05-17 7:24 AM
in reply to: JonnyVero

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by JonnyVero

Originally posted by DirkP

I thought the same thing about the swim leg in Matt's race Vero.  So this morning I took a look at his last HIM swim split and it seems that may have been a possibility.  His swim split at Rev3 last year was 48:46.  The times from last weekend could point to an obvious improvement over the same distance.  What do you think Matt?

I'm glad to hear you get the jump on another race.  The olympic will serve as a good primer.  

Since we're talking about your set up for a HIM, have you gotten any kind of fueling plan yet?  You should be using something to work on making sure you get the right calories and training is the place to figure it out.

I actually don't have any plan yet for nutrition for the HIM. I have no idea the number of calories I'll need to consume for the event. At this point I don't have a goal time but I'm guessing something between 6:15 to 6:45 finish time, just based on previous long rides and runs. I'm sure I'll zero it in more as the training progresses.

I have always favored GU energy gels and I used those during training and my half marathon last year without any issues. I haven't been taking in anything but water on any of my training rides or runs yet. Max 26 miles bike and 8 miles run. But I know I'll need to work something out soon to start getting used to it (or modify it if it doesn't work)

Keep in mind that your body will (normally) store about 2000 calories of glycogen but that will likely only be good for about 90 minutes worth of heavy activity.  The key is keep your body from using those stores for as long as possible during a race.  To keep that from occurring you need to begin fueling on the bike as soon as you can get something down.  Also keep in mind that while racing your body does not have the ability to absorb calories at a normal rate so you need to be able to use easily digestible fuel.  Most people can only absorb about 300-350 calories an hour even if they are using the simple form carbs as fuel but some are capable of taking in as many as 500 calories an hour without suffering from GI issues.

Drinks are the best source of simple fuel and as we've discussed many times there are many different brands, you just have to figure out if there's one that works better than others for you personally.  You can use gels and chews for calories as well but they are a little harder to consume because chewing isn't as friendly when your heart rate is elevated.  I personally liked eating something with a little bit of substance to it for my HIM's.  I have found that I needed a little bit of solids in my stomach to keep from getting the hunger pangs that easily distract me.  By consuming Honey Stinger waffles during my HIM's it slowed the caloric absorption rate slightly but I think I was mentally stronger knowing there is something that will stay in my stomach for more than a few minutes.  With that said, it's not a good idea to put very much solid foods in your stomach because if you begin to suffer from calorie deprivation it will be harder to get back to a sustainable energy level if you've eaten to much solids.

Also, make sure you get a lot of trial and error in during training.  As Tony said, it's ok to crash during training rides!!!  As a matter of fact it's probably good for you to do so because it gives you a good idea of what your consumption rate should be.  Then as you get closer to race day dial the nutrition a little higher to make sure you can take a given number of calories to maintain the higher level of intensity.

2014-05-17 7:52 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I'm glad Joanne saw that we have been archived.  I don't usually check in through that page and use the link on my training log.  Now for the bad part.............

I'm not sure I will be able to keep up with a complete mentoring schedule with the group throughout my training cycle and the out of town work that I have coming up this summer.  I would like to keep something going within the group if someone would like to take charge of setting up the group and maintaining it through the rest of this year and then I could see what next year brings.  If someone would like to grab the reigns I would definitely NOT have any issues with keeping the Asphalt Junkie group/name rolling through other people.

I also know Warren is tied up with his activities right now.  The bulk of this group has been together for a number of years and seeing it fade away would be kind of hard, but I guess "all good things must come to an end" as they say.  Again, if someone would like to grab the reigns feel free to do so.

2014-05-17 10:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

DIRK -  As sad as it makes me to read about you not being a mentor next session, I understand that you need to be freed up from the pressure so I won't beg and grovel, although I'd like to.      I think most of us that are active are also on FB so that would be a way we can still stay connected through the Junkie page Warren set up if no one steps up to the plate.   We'd just need to get Derek on board. 

How did your knee hold up on your run yesterday? 

I'm sorry to hear about Darrell's Dad and am praying for continued comfort and peace.

Edited by bswcpa 2014-05-17 10:16 AM
2014-05-17 10:23 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
I love my 910. Wouldn't do a workout without it. Pool features are great, nice to have something that counts laps for you. I love the multisport mode for races as well. It had to think of a good reason not to buy a second when I saw that price, lol.
2014-05-17 10:27 AM
in reply to: bswcpa

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
There is a junkie FB page. I'm in.
2014-05-17 12:48 PM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by BigDaddyD79 There is a junkie FB page. I'm in.

Just friend any of us on there and we can hook you up.  I'm Dirk Pauley from Ft Wayne, Indiana.  

2014-05-17 4:14 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Matt I'd get the 910XT if you can swing it. It's worth it just for the swimming data you get for both indoor and outdoor swimming. You'll get all the data you get from the bike and run today that you are used to getting with the 305. I actually use my 910XT with my power meter. I didn't want to throw down for a head unit and it works great. I think Garmin is pushing the new Phenix as the replacement for the 910XT that must be why they are doing this, clearing out the inventory. Go get it before your wife changes her mind and I pretty much got the same response so I just got it.

Dirk I'll be sad to see us wind down here on BT if everyone is busy but we do have the FB page and we can just post there. No admin overhead for anyone and I'm pretty sure everybody checks in there anyway so if we can't keep the Junkies together here let's just take it over there and get everyone who wants to be a part of that added.
2014-05-20 4:56 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
I do not want to see us fold so I will do it!!! I do not consider myself a mentor lol Iam definetly a mentee. Who's in to keep us going? I will also post this on the junkies FB page in case everyone doesn't see it.
2014-05-20 6:45 PM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
JoAnne I'm definitely in for another round. I would have volunteered to take the reigns as well but I feel like I'm more busy this year than I was last year and didn't want to drop the ball but I can help out.
2014-05-27 3:36 PM
in reply to: bswcpa

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Originally posted by bswcpa

've been discouraged the last week as I took my bike outside for a few rides for the first time this spring and I saw my pace drop DRAMATICALLY from what I was doing inside on the trainer.   I expected a drop but not that far so I'm not in a good mental place.  I think a lot of it is my lack of confidence and comfortableness being outside - wind, traffic, POTHOLES (we have a lot of bad roads after the winter), stopping/starting, and being chased by dogs (twice now).  I've got to get over this and I guess the best way is to just get out more.  I'm doubting my ability to get through the hilly IMWI course and I want to get to the start line feeling strong and confident.   I WILL get there with God's help!  OK, I'm done being a Debbie Downer and am going to go find my joy somewhere.  Thanks for listening

Did you put your front wheel back on and have the brakes dragging?!!? Ha!

But seriously, you are comparing your 'speeds' from your winter on the trainer to outside? That's apples to oranges.
What were your speeds on the road last year compared to this Spring?

And are you talking about average speed? The average speed for a real-world ride will usually be 2-4mph lower simply due to wind, hills and intersections.

If you've used any GPS device last year while riding you can do the same course with the GPS now and compare actual performances.

And yes, you should get out there more. That's ALWAYS the answer!

ps to everyone: I ran 5 miles this morning. Felt good! simple, easy training run, but the same pace, perceived exertion and HR that was my norm pre-injury.
And I'm racing on the 7th...in less than 2 weeks. It's been uncertain, and probably will be unless/until I cross the finish line. But if things aren't cool with the foot I don't have to finish the race.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 32

RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 17, 2011
author : Anderleka
Top suggestions for making the most of your off-season.
date : December 7, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
By gradually running for increasingly longer periods on a softer surface, you will learn the technique and come to realize the benefits in injury prevention and speed.

date : October 23, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their run. The athlete must be able to run for at least 1 hour and should be able to complete 4 weekly run sessions.
date : October 2, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
So which one is best for you? It boils down to the aforementioned questions only you can answer and, ultimately, to what extent you will use it as a tool for winter cycling fitness.

date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.