BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2014-03-30 4:22 PM
in reply to: IceManScott

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED
Can anyone make any sense out of the HR data: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/470624968

This was from my 8K race this morning. My previously highest maximum recorded HR was 174....

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Todd

2014-03-30 5:39 PM
in reply to: ettringite23

User image

Expert
Can't access the data...denied

Originally posted by ettringite23

Can anyone make any sense out of the HR data: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/470624968

This was from my 8K race this morning. My previously highest maximum recorded HR was 174....

Todd
2014-03-30 5:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Todd

It won't let me see it.
2014-03-30 5:45 PM
in reply to: cheekymonkeys1

User image

Expert
Deb- I am pretty much back to normal. The surgery recovery was not as bad as I thought. First few days were rough but I was back to work in 4 days and am now on my 4th and final week of lifting restriction but have been swimming, biking, running all week. Got two swims of 2200Y in this week and felt great. Stomach is really tight assuming where they cut into the muscle so I hope goes away soon.

Originally posted by cheekymonkeys1

LOVE Tahoe. Can't wait to go back, but have zero designs on IM there. Bbbbrrrr

Tim, how are you holding up? Everything still in its correct place?
2014-03-30 5:51 PM
in reply to: pnwdan

User image

Expert
I bought my bike for $150 on Craigslist and have slowly dumped another $500 in over the past few years haha. No better feeling then blowing past some dude on a $10,000 bike on my 1991 Trek 1000. I remember last year this guy at Galena had an all black P4 Cervelo with matching outfit and helmet having to stop on a mile long climb and pretend something was wrong with his bike haha.

The only problem is that I have had a lifting restriction of 10 lbs. for the past 4 weeks but my beast weights 27 so technically I am not supposed to be picking up my bike.

It about the engine not the vehicle...

Originally posted by pnwdan

In other news, I've tricked out my road bike for triathlon for the paltry sum of $100. I did my 2013 triathlon season on a road bike with 25mm Gatorskins. I'll use the same road bike this year but with clip on aero bars ($35 in the bargin bin) and 23mm GP 4000s ($65). That should be good for 2mph. Woohoo
2014-03-30 6:40 PM
in reply to: tmoran80

User image

Extreme Veteran
So glad to hear you back and feeling good! You may still want to take it easy for a few more weeks.

Originally posted by tmoran80

Deb- I am pretty much back to normal. The surgery recovery was not as bad as I thought. First few days were rough but I was back to work in 4 days and am now on my 4th and final week of lifting restriction but have been swimming, biking, running all week. Got two swims of 2200Y in this week and felt great. Stomach is really tight assuming where they cut into the muscle so I hope goes away soon.

Originally posted by cheekymonkeys1

LOVE Tahoe. Can't wait to go back, but have zero designs on IM there. Bbbbrrrr

Tim, how are you holding up? Everything still in its correct place?

2014-03-30 6:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I too was denied access. Are you asking about your HR as it was higher then 174?

Todd
2014-03-30 6:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

My internet sucks as I am not able to watch the video. Surprised to hear you wear the GoPro on your head as I would think that would be heavy. I know someone who wore a chest harness with the camera.

I put the Go Pro on my head.

Here is one video. It is at the end of my run.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203202980493342&l=81342111839...

Todd
2014-03-30 6:49 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Extreme Veteran
Way to go Nate! You will be ready to rock your Tri!

Originally posted by nrpoulin

Great Post Call swim today. Shattered my previous continuous freestyle distance. Up to 825y.
My wetsuit rental arrived in the mail today. Ready for my next tri in two weeks. It will be my first open water swim.
13 days SBR and feel great. Will plan for an off day next week.

Nate
2014-03-30 8:22 PM
in reply to: kruzmeister

User image

Originally posted by kruzmeister

Nate, nice job on the swim! I used to be a police officer (12 years) and would train after evening and night shifts before I slept. I was always too wound up to go to bed so I figured I'd put the energy to good use. What distance is your next tri? I am entering a couple of local open water tris before my big one, but as we are heading into autumn/winter now they are a long way off. Good luck with the training and don't forget to have a few days off to taper.

Great Post Call swim today. Shattered my previous continuous freestyle distance. Up to 825y. My wetsuit rental arrived in the mail today. Ready for my next tri in two weeks. It will be my first open water swim. 13 days SBR and feel great. Will plan for an off day next week. Nate

Another sprint distance. 750y swim, 14mile bike, 5k run. I have just under two weeks.

Nate
2014-03-30 8:51 PM

User image

Regular
Kathy, Scott, and Tim,

Try again. Apparently I had some restriction on whom could view the data.

2014-03-31 6:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

You'll kill it!

Another sprint distance. 750y swim, 14mile bike, 5k run. I have just under two weeks. Nate

2014-03-31 6:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

Thanks Todd, I'm definitely going to love TrainerRoad over winter. Got my second ride in the morning. Nice job on the 5K PR by the way, you are a running stud! I'm yet to crack 35 mins for mine, but I have a goal to get it under 25 when I'm running again. I used to be able to run 10K in around 50 mins, but that was many years and pounds ago. Still, we'll see what proper nutrition, meds and training can do!

Simone, I really like trainerroad when I have to bike indoors. It helps me push myself when I normally would not myself. Sounds like you got things in order and are moving forward! Good to hear! Looking forward to hear your progress! Todd

2014-03-31 5:15 PM

User image

When riding I feel like I am putting a lot of stress on my neck trying to see what is in front of me. Is that normal. Someone told my that I should only be looking at the road immediately in front of my tire. Seems kind a dangerous. Thoughts. I think I would like a less aerodynamic but more comfortable and perhaps safer riding position. Hasn't really been an issue as I have been on the trainer at the gym

Nate
2014-03-31 6:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Still not able to view the data.

Kathy, Scott, and Tim,

Try again. Apparently I had some restriction on whom could view the data.

2014-03-31 6:52 PM

User image

Chicago
My guess is that something is not right with your position on the bike. It could be that you seat is up to high or you are to close to your handlebars which means that you seat needs to be adjusted back some and if you feel that your position is fine then maybe you're putting to much tension on your shoulders. I'm no expert but you should not be feeling any pain in your neck while riding.

I also think that it's to dangerous to only be looking at your front tire. You should always be scanning the horizon and being aware of your surroundings. Sometimes when I ride with a group and we get in a line formation I have to keep a close eye on the rider in front of me and most of the time I'm looking at his back tire but I'm always making sure that I can be in a safe position in case something goes wrong.

Hope this helps and good luck.

When riding I feel like I am putting a lot of stress on my neck trying to see what is in front of me. Is that normal. Someone told my that I should only be looking at the road immediately in front of my tire. Seems kind a dangerous. Thoughts. I think I would like a less aerodynamic but more comfortable and perhaps safer riding position. Hasn't really been an issue as I have been on the trainer at the gym

Nate

2014-03-31 6:54 PM
in reply to: krazytallchick

User image

Extreme Veteran
I got my results from my annual physical and they said my blood pressure was 102/70. I looked online to see if that was good and with that blood pressure I am classified as an athlete. Okay it is the silly things that make me happy.

Another item that made my day.............

I did a swim test today that consisted of some warm up drills then a 400 all out 10 minute rest that includes swimming very slowly and then 100 all out.

My 400 time was 7:09 and my 100 time was 1:30! I was very pleased with this considering I haven't been in the pool in 2 weeks and was thinking I would see some poor numbers and not to beat myself up with the results. Now if only my biking and running would give me some impressive numbers for a change.
2014-03-31 6:56 PM
in reply to: gdelamora

User image

Extreme Veteran
I agree that your bike fit isn't set up correctly. You shouldn't have any pain in your neck looking up at the horizon.

Originally posted by gdelamora

My guess is that something is not right with your position on the bike. It could be that you seat is up to high or you are to close to your handlebars which means that you seat needs to be adjusted back some and if you feel that your position is fine then maybe you're putting to much tension on your shoulders. I'm no expert but you should not be feeling any pain in your neck while riding.

I also think that it's to dangerous to only be looking at your front tire. You should always be scanning the horizon and being aware of your surroundings. Sometimes when I ride with a group and we get in a line formation I have to keep a close eye on the rider in front of me and most of the time I'm looking at his back tire but I'm always making sure that I can be in a safe position in case something goes wrong.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Nate

2014-03-31 11:45 PM

User image

Expert
Could be just using muscles not used to. One way to confirm is if it gets better but then neck gets tired as you extend your ride time. If I went out and rode for over an hour right now my neck would kill me yet I am riding in the same position and bike that I did almost 7 hours for Ironman.

But... if it hurts all the time then check your bike set up. Focusing immediatley in front of your tire can be kind of dangerous. I would think scanning 5'-10' in front would be more ideal.

Nate
2014-04-01 12:22 AM

User image

Kenmore, Washington
I never thought I would say this but I think I'm addicted to hills. I did 3000 ft of climbing on Saturday during a 40 mile ride and loved it. I did a 4.5 mile run on Sunday with 380 ft of climbing and wanted more. I'm now planning a 7 mile run with 700 ft of climbing for tomorrow. The legs must be punished! :-)
2014-04-01 12:26 AM

User image

Kenmore, Washington

I bought my bike for $150 on Craigslist and have slowly dumped another $500 in over the past few years haha. No better feeling then blowing past some dude on a $10,000 bike on my 1991 Trek 1000.

Haha. My thoughts exactly. That's why I'm sticking to my road bike this season. My fragile ego couldn't take getting passed by someone like you if I was riding a Cervelo.

2014-04-01 12:36 AM

User image

Kenmore, Washington

Nate

That is normal for a beginner with too aggressive of a riding position. Sounds like you need to get more upright until your fitness improves.

I rode a grand total of 18 miles between Thanksgiving and the end of Feb. When I ramped up my riding in March my neck would tighten up and start hurting after half an hour. Six rides later I can go an hour. Part of it is learning to relax, look up instead of forward, and moving my head around so it's not always in the same position.
2014-04-01 6:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

I'm with Gil Nate, sounds like bike position and the seat is too high. I had my bike fitted when I bought it, I have a road bike with aero bars, but found it too aggressive on my lower back and shoulders. I lowered the seat only by an inch and it made a huge difference to my comfort so maybe have a play with that first and see if it makes a difference, it also opened up my field of vision cause I wasn't angled down at the front wheel as much.

Originally posted by nrpoulin When riding I feel like I am putting a lot of stress on my neck trying to see what is in front of me. Is that normal. Someone told my that I should only be looking at the road immediately in front of my tire. Seems kind a dangerous. Thoughts. I think I would like a less aerodynamic but more comfortable and perhaps safer riding position. Hasn't really been an issue as I have been on the trainer at the gym Nate

2014-04-01 6:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

Hey Tim, how much did it cost you to get the aero bar and forward seat post set up on your Trek? Although I still have lofty dreams of owning a tri bike for next season, I'm thinking it might be a better move to do chMelb and IMOZ on the roadie.

I bought my bike for $150 on Craigslist and have slowly dumped another $500 in over the past few years haha.

2014-04-01 8:59 AM

User image

Expert
Craigslist and Ebay are great for stuff like this. I think I picked up my seat post for $50 and the time trial aero bars were $50 (which was a great deal) I had to buy some bar end shifters and brake handles which ended up costing about $100. The only other issue I ran into was because my bike was so old the neck stem diameter was different so I had to buy a new stem and adapater. I actually got a threadless stem adapter so that I could adjust the angle and also bumped it out about 20mm to give me a little more room while in the aero position. I ended up doing all the work myself so I saved money on that and it also helped really get to understand fixing and upgrading bikes - although it didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling descending at over 40 mph down some of the monster hills on the IMWI course knowing I had "worked my way" through the fixes. I fully expected my bike to fall apart at any time haha.

Originally posted by kruzmeister

Hey Tim, how much did it cost you to get the aero bar and forward seat post set up on your Trek? Although I still have lofty dreams of owning a tri bike for next season, I'm thinking it might be a better move to do chMelb and IMOZ on the roadie.

I bought my bike for $150 on Craigslist and have slowly dumped another $500 in over the past few years haha.

(20140401_071301.jpg)

(20140401_071313.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20140401_071301.jpg (1717KB - 4 downloads)
20140401_071313.jpg (1788KB - 5 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 32

RELATED POSTS

Team Trisuppo - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34

Started by trisuppo
Views: 29458 Posts: 838

2014-05-16 3:19 PM jackiep
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 7, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Would it be a simple and advisable to swap back and forth between the road seat post with no aero bars and the tri seat post with aero bars?

date : August 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I have a Specialized Allez Elite road bike with aero bars. It has the stock seatpost. I am interested in changing the seat post to one that is more forward. What would I look for?
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : July 3, 2006
author : ChiRunning
Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching
date : June 5, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
How can gluteus medius weakness/problems be involved in iliotibial band syndrome? What specific exercises should be used in building gluteus medius strength in post-ITB syndrome treatment?

date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.